search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #1501
stewe1981

Likes (Received): 666

You took it a bit personal. Even if I was aggressive, I wasn't with you, but with the presentation of a new stadium from a team like PAS and the bad design of the other. I appreciate your effort of posting news like that, but this doesn't mean that if I disagree with the content, I am against you. I am from Greece and there are numerous proposals like PAS' before. From Serres, from Tripoli, from Iraklis, from Kerkyra... and and and...

And since you mentioned it... I know that AEK faces problems with the municipality, but I reeeeally doubt that they will build the stadium after they get the OK. I believe that the owner of AEK is extremely grateful to all this bureaucracy.
stewe1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2016, 06:44 PM   #1502
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

For the last time, when i created my post i didn't express an opinion, i just copied the news from these sites here. You have your views and you believe nothing of that will become reality, fine thats your view and i respect that, but when you say that these news are fake and that i souldnt posted these informations here then it gets personal and i must make myself clear. I know were you are from and you should know that i know very well the proposals the delays and the cancellations http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...229296&page=45. Just search my posts and you will find plenty of informatios.

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:13 AM   #1503
Amerikanos

Likes (Received): 32

AEK's basketball club apparently has plans to build a new 12,000 seat arena specifically for the basketball section.
Amerikanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #1504
PAO13

Likes (Received): 40

That's not totally correct, as AEKs president don't have any plans to build a new arena. What he wants to do is to remodel the Olympic velodrome into a basketball arena. As for the capacity I've read everything between eight and twelve thousand. It currently has a capacity of 5.000.

I'm not a big fan of this idea personally. Firstly it will ruin the only proper velodrome in the country. Secondly I hope the Galatsi Olympic arena will be given to AEK, which otherwise will be totally unused and wasted.

George_D liked this post
PAO13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #1505
George_D

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO13 View Post
I'm not a big fan of this idea personally. Firstly it will ruin the only proper velodrome in the country. Secondly I hope the Galatsi Olympic arena will be given to AEK, which otherwise will be totally unused and wasted.
the problem is that Galatsi option has been stalled since there is reaction from local community and authorities
George_D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #1506
Amerikanos

Quote:
That's not totally correct, as AEKs president don't have any plans to build a new arena. What he wants to do is to remodel the Olympic velodrome into a basketball arena. As for the capacity I've read everything between eight and twelve thousand. It currently has a capacity of 5.000.

They want to rebuild it into a new arena. The current one has open sides and needs to be enclosed, and the whole interior needs to be rebuilt. Basically a completely new structure, except for the roof, which also needs repairs apparently.

All reports say AEK will almost certainly never be allowed to use Galatsi again. So they have given up on it, obviously.

Current capacity of the velodrome is said to be 5,250. If you look at how much room there is, and how little of that space a basketball court would need - then they should be able to easily get 10,000 to 12,000 seats capacity for basketball if they wanted to. The capacity would all depend on how close they wanted to have the seats to the court. But if they made a modern basketball specific arena, I don't think 12,000 would be any problem.

Look how much room there is, even with 5,250 seats.

Last edited by Amerikanos; February 14th, 2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #1507
PAO13

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_D View Post
the problem is that Galatsi option has been stalled since there is reaction from local community and authorities
Firstly I am quite confident that the majority of the Galatsi community would like to have AEK playing there. As for the Galatsi authorities you are completely right, but i think it's not right to give in to the absolute nonsense of the Galatsi mayor. We can't keep wasting our Olympic legacy.

Secondly, if there is reactions against AEK obtaining the arena in Galatsi, which is a basketball arena in the first place, then you can imagine what reactions there will be against AEK transforming the only proper velodrome in the country. The bicycle federation has already expressed their concerns.
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:17 PM   #1508
PAO13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikanos View Post
They want to rebuild it into a new arena. The current one has open sides and needs to be enclosed, and the whole interior needs to be rebuilt. Basically a completely new structure, except for the roof, which also needs repairs apparently.

All reports say AEK will almost certainly never be allowed to use Galatsi again. So they have given up on it, obviously.

Current capacity of the velodrome is said to be 5,250. If you look at how much room there is, and how little of that space a basketball court would need - then they should be able to easily get 10,000 to 12,000 seats capacity for basketball if they wanted to. The capacity would all depend on how close they wanted to have the seats to the court. But if they made a modern basketball specific arena, I don't think 12,000 would be any problem.

Look how much room there is, even with 5,250 seats.

How each of us define "new arena" might of course be different, but there won't be a new structure. They will just install new seats where the track currently is (and possibly on the floor behind where each basket would be), while also making sure it's fully closed. I think very few will look at this as building a new arena.

As for the capacity I have no doubts it can be increased up to 12.000, it looks quite possible in my opinion. I was just pointing out that 12.000 (along with 8000 and 10.000) is just an estimate, not an official number.
Old February 15th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #1509
Amerikanos

Aris basketball club's owner, Laskaris said that he wants to build a new bigger arena for Aris BC.

The current arena they use is said to have 6,000 seats (although it lists 5,183 at Aris site).

Anyway, the capacity if that arena changes many times over the years. The point is the owner says the arena is too small and that Thessaloniki needs a big arena. I guess he means bigger than PAOK's arena, which has 8,100 to 8,500 seats (depending on configuration).

So I assume he means something bigger than that. This is probably just talk, but how knows. Aris' arena is really old, but then again, it's been updated and remodeled many times, and does not feel at all like an old arena.

Quote:
Firstly I am quite confident that the majority of the Galatsi community would like to have AEK playing there. As for the Galatsi authorities you are completely right, but i think it's not right to give in to the absolute nonsense of the Galatsi mayor. We can't keep wasting our Olympic legacy.

Secondly, if there is reactions against AEK obtaining the arena in Galatsi, which is a basketball arena in the first place, then you can imagine what reactions there will be against AEK transforming the only proper velodrome in the country. The bicycle federation has already expressed their concerns.
AEK has been trying for like the last 3-4 years to move back to Galatsi, and they get denied no matter what proposal they make. If the club wants its own arena, it can't take years and years waiting on Galatsi to become available. That's just the way it is. The people in charge of the arena's use clearly don't want AEK in it.
Old February 28th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #1510
Amerikanos

This sounds like BS to me, but the owner of Greek League basketball club Aris Thessaloniki BC, Nikolaos Laskaris, has said that he has a 5 year plan to build a new NBA level arena for the club.

xstratus liked this post
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #1511
PAO13

Laskaris seems like a big fraud to me, I wouldn't trust anything he says. Besides I don't see why Aris would need a new arena, Nick Galis Hall is among the best in the league, and Aris rarely fills it.
Old March 29th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #1512
Amerikanos

Now AEK basketball club is trying to get the Olympics Main Tennis Center (capacity for tennis of 8,600) as its new arena, that could seat 10,000 for basketball games...

George_D, xstratus liked this post

Last edited by Amerikanos; April 8th, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old March 29th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #1513
George_D

and the tennis federation almost immediately reacted saying that they seek to organize 2 WTA and ATP tournaments for 2017-2018 season of total prize 750.000 euro when the total budget of federation is about 250.000 euro annually..
Old April 2nd, 2017, 11:00 AM   #1514
Amerikanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_D View Post
and the tennis federation almost immediately reacted saying that they seek to organize 2 WTA and ATP tournaments for 2017-2018 season of total prize 750.000 euro when the total budget of federation is about 250.000 euro annually..
Government has to be smart at some point. AEK basketball team will bring more money than that every year to the arena.

George_D liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2017, 08:40 PM   #1515
JYDA

Likes (Received): 83

It's a nice looking tennis facility. Would be a shame to see it go to waste
JYDA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 06:28 PM   #1516
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 46

It could do both. Send AEK on a road trip during big tournaments. They aren't going to need all those seats for some low level event.
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:49 PM   #1517
Amerikanos

Kolossos basketball club announced that they will expand and modernize their arena this summer, to being capable of playing European games.

I guess they mean to EuroCup level, since arena already qualifies for Champions League. So this would mean moving it to 3,000 capacity this summer.

I guess this means that the club will never use the new arena that was built in Rhodes. Very strange how that was handled.
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #1518
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikanos View Post
Government has to be smart at some point. AEK basketball team will bring more money than that every year to the arena.
Why not both?
Old April 25th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #1519
George_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
Why not both?
Olympic Tennis Arena is being used by privates. No tournament is being held there. So all these comments about the great tennis arena that will be converted are crap. And even if it will become a closed arena, it can be used for tennis matches if it is necessary
Old April 27th, 2017, 11:27 AM   #1520
Amerikanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
Why not both?
I guess it could be, but i think the whole issue is AEK wants their own arena. Otherwise they can just stay in OAKA. Is the new trend now, all the main Greek basketball clubs want control of their own arena, since they see how much money that can generate, since some EuroLeague teams do that now.

Olympiacos wants SEF as their own arena, Panathinaikos wants OAKA as their own arena. And reports are they will be granted that soon.

Same way PAOK and Aris have control of their arenas.

Panionios is building its own new arena.

So this leaves AEK as the only one without control of its arena. They just for years go back and forth from several different arenas that they rent, and that they have no control over. Which really isn't viable for a club that size.

So I think the tennis department would conflict with that.

AEK could just play in Ano Liossia arena that was built for 2004 Olympics, but also same issue - no control of the arena there. That's the main problem I think.

Last edited by Amerikanos; April 27th, 2017 at 11:32 AM.

Tags
Ελλάς