daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Old June 10th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #1
Captain Hilts

Likes (Received): 0

Drinking alcohol in public

Is there anyone else who's perturbed by the fact that it's illegal to drink in public places in this province (and I believe country as a whole)? I mean, especially in the summer it's especially refreshing to walk down the street with an ice cold beer in-hand. How the government could get away with forcing such a fascist law is beyond me (what ever happened to 'life, liberty and security of the person'?).

And just to rub it in, we're in, what seems to me, one of the few places in the world where only the government sells liquor and beer (and taxes the crap out of it and makes excessive profits from the sale of it through its self-granted monopoly).

I've inconspicuously ignored this law on occasion but now I think it's time for some serious civil disobedience. What do you think?
Captain Hilts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 10th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #2
marathon
Demogaffe

I'm marathon and I approve this message.
marathon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #3
partybits
partybits

Likes (Received): 2

Notice how you start this thread on a hot summer day.

Seriously, your right. We should have more lax laws to drinking outdoors. I personally don't agree with being able to drink ANYWHERE outside. Examples, residential streets and the likes.

However, in and around bars and entertainment venues, I would be more open to that. I remember in Europe you had swarms of people in the downtown bar district standing and drinking on the street by the bar wheere they bought the beer. Very civilized, but also liberating
partybits no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #4
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 142

Sure lets make drinking in public areas legal. There you got your civil disobedience.
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #5
Captain Hilts

Well it being such a nice, hot day makes me think about this even more!

I think that you should be able to drink pretty much anywhere. Afterall, they allow people to smoke anywhere outdoors don't they? I think this is more disturbing to others than drinking is.

But yeah, I was in Europe not too long ago and every time I'm there it reminds me even more of how ridiculous our laws on this are.
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #6
Captain Hilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown
Sure lets make drinking in public areas legal. There you got your civil disobedience.
I'll get my civil disobedience when I walk down the street with a beer on Saturday (unless it rains of course). But yeah, making it legal would be even better.
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #7
Captain Hilts

Hey Marathon, how is this treated in Chicago? I've been in a few places in the US where it's okay as long as you keep it in a paper bag. Pretty ridiculous, but better than nothing I suppose (the paper bag trick doesn't work here, not to mention that it would make you look like a bum).
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #8
Steeltown

Likes (Received): 142

In Hamilton there's Hess Village and your allowed to drink anywhere in that area. Stuff like this I'm cool with. Hess Village is sort of like Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

Notice the beer cans on their hands
Steeltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #9
Captain Hilts

That would be a nice, small step in the right direction. However, I don't see any reason why we should be told that we can't down ANY street with a beer in-hand. The point is not really needing a place to go to in order to drink outside, but to be able have a drink while walking to some destination, if you choose.
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #10
marathon
Demogaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hilts
Hey Marathon, how is this treated in Chicago? I've been in a few places in the US where it's okay as long as you keep it in a paper bag. Pretty ridiculous, but better than nothing I suppose (the paper bag trick doesn't work here, not to mention that it would make you look like a bum).
Well, I never lived in the city proper, but we never had trouble taking a walk around the suburban neghborhood carrying an alcoholic beverage in hand...no paper bag required.
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #11
Captain Hilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon
Well, I never lived in the city proper, but we never had trouble taking a walk around the suburban neghborhood carrying an alcoholic beverage in hand...no paper bag required.
Sounds like paradise...
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #12
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 17

In Denmark, there are very relaxed laws about walking around the streets with alcohol. I really enjoyed being able to have one for the road with no hassle.

If the city gets the ability to make laws without going through the province, it could very well be a possibility that alcohol laws with in the city could be relaxed.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #13
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 725

I agree with this thread whole heartedly (sp?).
I've seen people walk around their neighbourhood streets with beer in hand which isn't really enforced hardcore, but it would be a lot easier knowing it just wasn't illegal.
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #14
worldwide

Likes (Received): 2

one of my favorite passtimes, drinking in public, last weekend i was walking down cook st in victoria with a bottle of wine, right after i had eight kokanees, a good time was had by all
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #15
marathon
Demogaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hilts
Sounds like paradise...
As long as you aren't making a public spectacle, and of course, as long as you aren't driving...noone will pay you much mind. Otherwise, roaming a suburban neighborhood isn't much different than roaming fairgrounds.
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #16
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 17

It might sound silly but glass bottles are a big thing that many governing bodies worry about.

If a set of rules could be established that exluded booze in glass containers, there is really no harm in making this sort of dealy legal.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #17
rapideye95
Technology Pro

Likes (Received): 1

i drink wherever i want and when i want
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #18
Captain Hilts

Well if glass bottles were the problem then they could just make the rule that drinking out of glass bottles in public is outlawed but everything else is okay (then again a lot of juice comes in glass as well). No reason why this concern should exclude cans!
Old June 10th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #19
JARdan

Likes (Received): 3

I wanna go to Hess Village! I turn 19 July 13th! I think my bro is taking my downtown Toronto though!

I think drinking in public should be allowed. I could see a problem because of broken glass, but maybe atleast plastic/aluminum could be permitted.
JARdan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #20
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 725

I would have thought you were older JARdan. /\
Have fun! Turning 19 is exciting! No more prejudices when it comes to legal stuff! Woo hoo!