search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Momo1435
Marotesque

Likes (Received): 55170

TOKYO | Toranomon-Azabudai District 2nd Phase Redevelopment | 330m | 65 fl | 270m | 63 fl | 240m | 53 fl | Pro

TOKYO | Toranomon-Azabudai District 2nd Phase Redevelopment | 330m | 65 fl | 270m | 63 fl | 240m | 53 fl | Pro

http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/singi/tii...1/shiryou1.pdf

Height

Tower A
height: 330m
floors: 65

Tower B-1
height: 270m
floors: 63

Tower B-2
height: 240m
floors: 53

Use: office / residential / other
start: 2018
complete: 2022

Toranomon 5-Chome, Azabudai 1-Chome, Minato-ku, Tokyo
https://goo.gl/maps/8v8i3AbSN4P2

Google Earth

Munwon, TowerVerre:), baisaroff, Zaz965, Jan and 13 others liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Momo1435
Marotesque

Hereby I can present you Tokyo's 1st Supertall building. As this one will already go U/C in 2018 and be completed in 2022. That's before the other Supertall proposal, the Tokiwabashi project (390m) which goes U/C in 2023.

Mori Building is the developer behind this redevelopment, which has already been know for years it was in the making. The project consists of 3 towers, 1 supertall 330m tall mixed used building + a 270m tall and a 240m tall residential buildings.

The design of the tallest tower is clearly inspired by the Ark Hills Sengokuyama Mori Tower which was constructed in the previous phase of this larger ongoing redevelopment.
Old January 10th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #3
Munwon

Likes (Received): 2980

I'm Shocked this is being built so quickly! Go Tokyo!

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Munwon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Momo1435
Marotesque

Images from the document of the low rise parts and the public space around the towers.

http://www.kantei.go.jp/jp/singi/tii...1/shiryou1.pdf

The Azabu Post Office that is going to be demolished. The main tower will be located on it's site.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ost_Office.JPG
Old January 10th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #5
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 20892

tokyo tower is becaming small in front of this building
Old January 11th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2874

Tokyo is entering into the supertall buildings age too!

Congrats, Tokyo!!

PROUD TO BE GAY.

7 AUG 2007 - 30 SEP 2014
SNSD without Jessica won't be the same anymore.

Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #7
Momo1435
Marotesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaz965 View Post
tokyo tower is becaming small in front of this building
Especially when you realize that these images somehow make these towers look smaller then they should look with these heights.

Old January 14th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #8
philipx

Likes (Received): 154

Congrats. My favorite city finally get its first reliable proposal for supertall building.
philipx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #9
Momo1435
Marotesque

It's actually the 3rd serious proposal

The first was the Nishi-Shinkuku 3-Chome Redevelopment for a 338m office tower announced in the year 2000. But this one was canceled after it was delayed several times. It didn't get final planning approval after the developers didn't comply with some of the demands from the Tokyo government, like building a new train station specifically for this project. It pretty much died a silent death during the 2008 dip and was completely gone after the 2011 Tsunami/ crisis. Last year new plans surfaced for this area, but only for 2 235m tall residential towers. And there's also a 89m tall residential tower U/C at the corner of the site.

The 2nd is still alive and kicking, but the construction will only start in 2023. It's the 390m tall Tokiwabashi District Redevelopment Project, close to Tokyo station.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1847834

So this is the 3rd proposal, the 2nd proposal that will go ahead, but the 1st one that will be completed.

And there could come more, in the 1st map in the opening post you see a blue marked area on the Left. This is the Roppongi 5-Chome redevelopment, which is also labeled Roppongi Hills Part 2. It's rumored that it will also have a super tall tower. But no detailed information has come out yet, other then that it will be a large project with several developers behind it, including Mori Building, the developer behind the project in this thread. There are also several upcoming redevelopments around Tokyo Station which could also include a super tall tower. It's truly a matter of 1 or 2 projects breaking the limit and others will follow. There are also more 200m to 300m projects U/C (5x) and Proposed (15x) then ever before in Tokyo.
Old January 16th, 2017, 01:26 PM   #10
philipx

Thanks for the introduction.
I know that 390m proposal, but 2023 is too late, and that 338m building had got cancelled, additionally the developer behind this new proposal is Mori, which developed many famous skyscrapers, that's why I say it's the first serious proposal.
I'm very excited when I see you say that more supertalls for Tokyo is coming, that will makes Tokyo look more modern, though it's already the most modern-looking city in my opinion.
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #11
DarkLite
user.exe

Likes (Received): 12910

Finally a Supertall for Tokyo that isn't a telecommunications tower I'll keep a close eye on this thread!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by DarkLite; January 16th, 2017 at 06:40 PM.
DarkLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Momo1435
Marotesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipx View Post
Thanks for the introduction.
I know that 390m proposal, but 2023 is too late, and that 338m building had got cancelled, additionally the developer behind this new proposal is Mori, which developed many famous skyscrapers, that's why I say it's the first serious proposal.
I'm very excited when I see you say that more supertalls for Tokyo is coming, that will makes Tokyo look more modern, though it's already the most modern-looking city in my opinion.
The other 2 proposals also have / had the largest developers behind them.

Mori Building is a developer behind many landmark projects. But it's not as big as Mitsubishi or Mitsui who are / were among others behind the other 2 proposals. If any of the main developers, also Sumitomo or Nomura with such proposals you should consider them serious.

But on the other hand, it wasn't one of the big companies that developed the 1st supertall in Japan. Osaka's Abeno Harukas was developed by Kintetsu, the railway company that operates the train station underneath the 300m tall tower.
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #13
Antonio227
In the brig

Likes (Received): 3069

Impressive!

Antonio227 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #14
Astaire007

Likes (Received): 211

2017/1/14

Old January 19th, 2017, 04:30 AM   #15
philipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
The other 2 proposals also have / had the largest developers behind them.

Mori Building is a developer behind many landmark projects. But it's not as big as Mitsubishi or Mitsui who are / were among others behind the other 2 proposals. If any of the main developers, also Sumitomo or Nomura with such proposals you should consider them serious.

But on the other hand, it wasn't one of the big companies that developed the 1st supertall in Japan. Osaka's Abeno Harukas was developed by Kintetsu, the railway company that operates the train station underneath the 300m tall tower.
That's confusing and also interesting. So in Japan the chance of whether a building could be actually built has nothing to do with the prestige of developers.
Even so I still prefer this one, for it will be U/C in next year and completed in 2022, even the year of its completion is one year earlier than the beginning year of that 390m tower.

Old January 20th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #16
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 479

Thats a pretty lackluster design for a city's tallest building. Although Tokyo has never really been known for groundbreaking architecture, so I suppose that isnt surprising. At least it isnt an ugly design. Nonetheless its nice to see Tokyo get such a large proposal.

Last edited by TheIllinoisan; January 20th, 2017 at 02:49 AM.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #17
Momo1435
Marotesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipx View Post
That's confusing and also interesting. So in Japan the chance of whether a building could be actually built has nothing to do with the prestige of developers.
Even so I still prefer this one, for it will be U/C in next year and completed in 2022, even the year of its completion is one year earlier than the beginning year of that 390m tower.
Nowadays it's very rare in Tokyo for these kind large scale projects to not go ahead at this stage in the development. It's not like 25 years ago just after the bubble broke with lot's of projects that simply didn't make it. Now there are just some smaller projects that are stalled, and most of the time they are not cancelled but just delayed by some years, with or without a scale reduction.

It happens to all developers, even Mori Projects has some projects that were announced but have turned quiet. On the other hand, this tower here was not predicted, especially with a starting date relatively close as this.

All in all I think that developers have become a bit more conservative announcing projects. They only come out when they know for sure that it will go ahead.

Old January 22nd, 2017, 11:14 PM   #18
Jay

Likes (Received): 1795

Nice! Go Japan

Hope it actually happens

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 04:10 AM   #19
philipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
most of the time they are not cancelled but just delayed by some years, with or without a scale reduction.

It happens to all developers, even Mori Projects has some projects that were announced but have turned quiet.
This reminds me of the iconic Roppongi Hills Mori Tower and Shanghai World Financial Center, these two buildings are both developed by Mori, and were all suspended for many years, I hope same thing won't happen on this new building.

Quote:
All in all I think that developers have become a bit more conservative announcing projects. They only come out when they know for sure that it will go ahead.
That's great, so by this way it seems this new supertall will finally be built, then becomes a great addition to Tokyo skyline.
But I think the developer of that 390m proposal in Tokyo station is not very conservative, they shouldn't announce a building that set to be built after a decade from now at this time, it's too early to do that, things will change in such a long period, it reminds me of those mile high hypertall proposals for Tokyo Bay, one of them was announced in last year but set to be built in 2045. In this regard I have to admire Chinese developers, usually they announce a new building only when it is already in preparation stage.

Seoul_Korea, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by philipx; January 24th, 2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 25th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #20
Astaire007

Likes (Received): 211

1/21

Astaire007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote