search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2016, 05:16 AM   #261
Kenni
Administrator

New renderings of Bradley West came out, looks like they scrapped this concept:

It'll now be a tunnel, there's a vid in LAX's FB page.

BTW, here's pics of the new connector from TBIT to Termimal 4-8.

patel2897, aquamaroon, shakman, TopWatch liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:54 PM   #262
Kenni
Administrator

Ok, so as a follow-up to my post above, sadly LAX scrapped the aerial bridge and the same design they used for the Bradley West. ....But I'm ok with the new plans, it'll be an underground tunnel, and the new concourse will have a "wave" roof design of some sort.

And the important thing....it's a go! No more waiting. Here's the vid.

aquamaroon liked this post
Old November 25th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #263
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 893

Looks like they're only building the north half at the moment?

Also looks like they're continuing the tradition of each terminal being a unique motif.

Ze German-ness in me wants them to re-do each terminal in the motif of the first new section of the TBIT, but oh well... Anything to make LAX less awful than it was in the past and bring US airports into the 21st century.
Old November 25th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #264
Kenni
Administrator

This was the old plan.

New. Meh!

TopWatch liked this post
Old November 25th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #265
BoulderGrad

Was never a huge fan of the bridges, but yeah, basically. Would've been nice to stick with the same motif. I don't mind the final design, but no where near as cool as the first section.

I also never noticed that the old plan shows the airport tram with stops right in front of the terminals rather than the center running layout in the final plan. Would've been a lot more convenient, but probably that much more expensive to double up on the number of stations.
Old November 26th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #266
Kenni
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Was never a huge fan of the bridges, but yeah, basically. Would've been nice to stick with the same motif. I don't mind the final design, but no where near as cool as the first section.

I also never noticed that the old plan shows the airport tram with stops right in front of the terminals rather than the center running layout in the final plan. Would've been a lot more convenient, but probably that much more expensive to double up on the number of stations.
I was a huge fan of the aerial path, top was arriving passengers bottom for departing; or vise versa.

Yes, the Automated People Mover's original plan was to go around in a loop. Now it goes right down the middle with huge stations and access jetting out. I think it's quicker, imagine waiting for the tram to go in a loop if you're going to Terminal 8. Now, on the first stop you can get off for Terminal 8 adn Terminal 1. Practical.
Old November 28th, 2016, 01:36 AM   #267
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I was a huge fan of the aerial path, top was arriving passengers bottom for departing; or vise versa.

Yes, the Automated People Mover's original plan was to go around in a loop. Now it goes right down the middle with huge stations and access jetting out. I think it's quicker, imagine waiting for the tram to go in a loop if you're going to Terminal 8. Now, on the first stop you can get off for Terminal 8 adn Terminal 1. Practical.
True, it also allows for bi-directional operation. i.e. you can board a train going either direction at each station. That is a pretty long walk to each terminal tho.
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:36 AM   #268
Kenni
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
True, it also allows for bi-directional operation. i.e. you can board a train going either direction at each station. That is a pretty long walk to each terminal tho.
Yeah, I thought about that. But sections will have electrical floor movers. (Whatever these are called)

Old January 10th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #269
Kenni
Administrator

(I hate the format of these threads btw, you lose big airports like LAX)

Alright. Saw these renders (again ) and I liked them.

laxishappening.com
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #270
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Supermod

Likes (Received): 10227

Actually, taking off the aerial bridge would permit better movement of larger aircraft, especially those docked at TBIT. However, my main concern would be the additional time passengers have to walk through the tunnel to get to and from the Customs and Immigration counters, especially when we deal with transit passengers from international to domestic flights. And by the way, how many additional gates will be had once the TBIT expansion is completed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NEW!

Photo Albums:

fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #271
Kenni
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Actually, taking off the aerial bridge would permit better movement of larger aircraft, especially those docked at TBIT. However, my main concern would be the additional time passengers have to walk through the tunnel to get to and from the Customs and Immigration counters, especially when we deal with transit passengers from international to domestic flights. And by the way, how many additional gates will be had once the TBIT expansion is completed?
It was scrapped mostly because of cost, LAX is building so much right now with the people mover, new car rental hub, the new concourse west coming up etc. etc.

Because they could've built an aerial bridge that could accommodate the largest planes. Just redesign it, that isn't a problem.

Tags
burbank, lax, long beach, los angeles, northamerica airport hubs, ontario, us airports