search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #261
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

New renderings of Bradley West came out, looks like they scrapped this concept:

It'll now be a tunnel, there's a vid in LAX's FB page.

BTW, here's pics of the new connector from TBIT to Termimal 4-8.

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:54 PM   #262
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Ok, so as a follow-up to my post above, sadly LAX scrapped the aerial bridge and the same design they used for the Bradley West. ....But I'm ok with the new plans, it'll be an underground tunnel, and the new concourse will have a "wave" roof design of some sort.

And the important thing....it's a go! No more waiting. Here's the vid.

aquamaroon liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #263
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1039

Looks like they're only building the north half at the moment?

Also looks like they're continuing the tradition of each terminal being a unique motif.

Ze German-ness in me wants them to re-do each terminal in the motif of the first new section of the TBIT, but oh well... Anything to make LAX less awful than it was in the past and bring US airports into the 21st century.
Old November 25th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #264
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

This was the old plan.

New. Meh!

TopWatch, redspork02 liked this post
Old November 25th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #265
BoulderGrad

Was never a huge fan of the bridges, but yeah, basically. Would've been nice to stick with the same motif. I don't mind the final design, but no where near as cool as the first section.

I also never noticed that the old plan shows the airport tram with stops right in front of the terminals rather than the center running layout in the final plan. Would've been a lot more convenient, but probably that much more expensive to double up on the number of stations.
Old November 26th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #266
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Was never a huge fan of the bridges, but yeah, basically. Would've been nice to stick with the same motif. I don't mind the final design, but no where near as cool as the first section.

I also never noticed that the old plan shows the airport tram with stops right in front of the terminals rather than the center running layout in the final plan. Would've been a lot more convenient, but probably that much more expensive to double up on the number of stations.
I was a huge fan of the aerial path, top was arriving passengers bottom for departing; or vise versa.

Yes, the Automated People Mover's original plan was to go around in a loop. Now it goes right down the middle with huge stations and access jetting out. I think it's quicker, imagine waiting for the tram to go in a loop if you're going to Terminal 8. Now, on the first stop you can get off for Terminal 8 adn Terminal 1. Practical.
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #267
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I was a huge fan of the aerial path, top was arriving passengers bottom for departing; or vise versa.

Yes, the Automated People Mover's original plan was to go around in a loop. Now it goes right down the middle with huge stations and access jetting out. I think it's quicker, imagine waiting for the tram to go in a loop if you're going to Terminal 8. Now, on the first stop you can get off for Terminal 8 adn Terminal 1. Practical.
True, it also allows for bi-directional operation. i.e. you can board a train going either direction at each station. That is a pretty long walk to each terminal tho.
Old November 29th, 2016, 03:36 AM   #268
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
True, it also allows for bi-directional operation. i.e. you can board a train going either direction at each station. That is a pretty long walk to each terminal tho.
Yeah, I thought about that. But sections will have electrical floor movers. (Whatever these are called)

Old January 10th, 2017, 06:26 AM   #269
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

(I hate the format of these threads btw, you lose big airports like LAX)

Alright. Saw these renders (again ) and I liked them.

laxishappening.com

redspork02 liked this post
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:33 AM   #270
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 10879

Actually, taking off the aerial bridge would permit better movement of larger aircraft, especially those docked at TBIT. However, my main concern would be the additional time passengers have to walk through the tunnel to get to and from the Customs and Immigration counters, especially when we deal with transit passengers from international to domestic flights. And by the way, how many additional gates will be had once the TBIT expansion is completed?
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #271
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Actually, taking off the aerial bridge would permit better movement of larger aircraft, especially those docked at TBIT. However, my main concern would be the additional time passengers have to walk through the tunnel to get to and from the Customs and Immigration counters, especially when we deal with transit passengers from international to domestic flights. And by the way, how many additional gates will be had once the TBIT expansion is completed?
It was scrapped mostly because of cost, LAX is building so much right now with the people mover, new car rental hub, the new concourse west coming up etc. etc.

Because they could've built an aerial bridge that could accommodate the largest planes. Just redesign it, that isn't a problem.
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:44 AM   #272
Avi-alfonso

Likes (Received): 11

Avi-alfonso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #273
Avi-alfonso

Old February 5th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #274
Avi-alfonso

Old February 6th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #275
Avi-alfonso

shakman liked this post
Old February 27th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #276
Kenni
Admin♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

Mayor Eric Garcetti

Just broke ground on a new $1.6 billion LAX terminal adding 750,000 square-feet and 12 more gates to our airport. Construction is expected to create 6,000 new jobs and produce more than $300 million in direct wages.

Old February 27th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #277
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 2223

This is a BIG deal, not just for TBIT but for the whole airport! Everybody talks about car traffic, but the number of gates has become a significant bottleneck problem it seems from personal experience. I've had family come in and out of LAX quite a bit recently, and basically every other flight they had to wait at least an hour for their gate to open up so they could deplane. These additional gates should do so much to ease the airplane congestion at LAX, and then with the people mover they can work on the car congestion
aquamaroon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #278
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 830

^ absolutely right aqua. This is great news and LAX has improved tremendously already, i cant wait for this as well.

aquamaroon liked this post
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #279
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 186

i wonder who's going to be occupying this planned terminal... LAX undergoes a ground delay program pretty much everyday due to ground congestion issues... more often than not, this is caused by the major US carriers UA, AA, and DL having way more flights in and out of LAX than the number of gates that they occupy.. the 7L/25R runway construction is not helping either
Old February 28th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #280
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi_malejana View Post
i wonder who's going to be occupying this planned terminal... LAX undergoes a ground delay program pretty much everyday due to ground congestion issues... more often than not, this is caused by the major US carriers UA, AA, and DL having way more flights in and out of LAX than the number of gates that they occupy.. the 7L/25R runway construction is not helping either
This is an extension of the the Tom Bradley International Terminal, so it will be occupied by nearly all foreign carriers that have flights into and out of Los Angeles; i.e. British Airways, Emirates, Lufthansa, Ethiad etc. The expansion will be in two phases looks like, 12 gates in phase one and 7 in phase 2.

And yep you're right, domestic carriers are a big reason/sufferer of the ground delays. The plan for this, I believe, is to relocate the international flights currently based out of terminal 2 to the newly expanded TBIT, and then have Delta move from Terminal 6 to take over Terminals 2 AND 3:

http://news.delta.com/delta-relocate...rough-19b-plan

So in essence, with this upgrade, Delta will be gaining a full extra terminal for their operations out of LAX, and this will ideally significantly reduce their ground delay issues, and ideally help AA, United and Southwest as well (along with the smaller value carriers of course).

LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
aquamaroon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
burbank, lax, long beach, los angeles, northamerica airport hubs, ontario, us airports