search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Bridges

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #21
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 52594

NY Times

Quote:
October 11, 2011, 1:36 pm
Tappan Zee Bridge Project Gets Fast-Tracked

By CHRISTINE HAUGHNEY

The Tappan Zee Bridge, which has been long overdue for a costly overhaul, was one of 14 projects chosen on Tuesday by the Obama administration for expedited federal review and approval — possibly allowing work on a replacement bridge to begin as early as next year.

For two decades, local politicians have been trying to get the aging bridge repaired or replaced, and numerous options have been floated for a project that would cost billions of dollars.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo called the fast-tracking “a shot in the arm for the project and a major step forward to restoring this key piece of infrastructure and putting tens of thousands of New Yorkers back to work.”

President Obama had created a national competition to win expedited federal approvals for high-priority, job-creating projects. New York submitted the Tappan Zee Bridge project, following its bid with personal lobbying efforts by Governor Cuomo, who called William M. Daley, the White House chief of staff, and Howard Glaser, New York State’s direction of operations, who went to Washington to make the case.

---

Highcliff liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #22
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 16451

I don't understand why a bridge like this would cost "billions of dollars". It's less than 5 kilometers to span the Tappan Zee. The Øresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden has cost € 4 billion and that includes a tunnel and a double-deck road + rail bridge with a total length of 18 kilometers.

As I read on Wikipedia about the Tappan Zee Bridge:

Quote:
The bridge would cost $6.4 billion, while adding bus lanes from Suffern to Port Chester would cost $2.9 billion. Adding a rail line from the Suffern Metro-North station and across the bridge, connecting with Metro-North’s Hudson Line south of Tarrytown, would cost another $6.7 billion.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #23
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

NY Times

Quote:
U.S. Says It Will Expedite Approval to Replace Deteriorating Tappan Zee Bridge
By CHRISTINE HAUGHNEY

Published: October 11, 2011

The Tappan Zee Bridge, long overdue for an overhaul, was one of 14 projects chosen on Tuesday by the Obama administration for expedited federal review and approval — possibly allowing work on a new bridge to begin as early as the spring of 2013.

For two decades, local politicians have been trying to get the aging bridge repaired or replaced, and a number of options have been suggested. Transportation experts originally said the project could cost $9 billion to $16 billion, depending on whether the state included a bus and rail line.

The bridge, which was built in the 1950s, has cost the state $100 million a year in repairs and $83 million in studies about how to replace or fix it, said the Westchester County executive, Robert P. Astorino. When he took a boat tour beneath the bridge with other elected officials in July, Mr. Astorino said, the paint was peeling, there was rust on its joints and spans, and netting covered up much of its underbelly.

Mr. Astorino feared that if the bridge were not repaired or replaced, it could one day simply be shut down — forcing drivers, who make about 170,000 crossings each day, to find alternatives.

“This is a major economic artery for the entire region,” he said.

Citing the bridge’s deteriorating condition, the federal Department of Transportation decided it would let the state go forward with the project as long as it streamlined its earlier plan to make a new bridge a centerpiece of a $21 billion, 30-mile transportation corridor. The federal agency said it would help speed up the process for the state to build a $5.2 billion eight-lane bridge, to which mass transit could be added in the future.

[...]
The transit-inclusive designs were estimated to cost as much as $16 billion. By deferring transit, the bridge can be quickly replaced for around $5 billion. So it's good the Tappan Zee is getting fast-tracked but bad for anyone who doesn't drive.

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #24
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't understand why a bridge like this would cost "billions of dollars". It's less than 5 kilometers to span the Tappan Zee. The Øresund Bridge between Denmark and Sweden has cost € 4 billion and that includes a tunnel and a double-deck road + rail bridge with a total length of 18 kilometers.
It's incredibly expensive to build anything in NYS. And people wonder why the US doesn't have endless new infrastructure...

Old October 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #25
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The views of NYC from the new Tappan Zee Bridge will be spectacular!

image hosted on flickr

NYC Skyline by r0xyyyy, on Flickr

Old October 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #26
ChrisZwolle
Road user

$ 5 billion for one additional lane is a lot of money. Why not make a 12-lane bridge with one HOV lane each way? That way you don't need additional bus lanes, because traffic can flow. As a taxpayer I wouldn't accept an expenditure of $ 5+ billion that doesn't solve an inch of traffic congestion.

A high price tag with the simple explanation "building anything in New York State is just expensive" won't do for me. You don't need billions in expropriation costs here. It's just the new bridge structure and some space around both bridge heads. The Tappan Zee is probably not extremely deep either, otherwise the current bridge would've been a Verrazano Narrows Bridge-like structure (suspension bridge).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old October 13th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #27
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 42

Was gonna say something but I'll hold my tongue... Please just stop comparing everything to Europe

VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #28
shutterbug483
shutterbug483

Likes (Received): 5

The bridge was originally built where it is so that it wouldn't fall under the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey's jurisdiction. The Authority has control over structures within a 25-mile radius of the Statue of Liberty. The Tappan Zee Bridge is just 3 feet outside of that.

shutterbug483 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #29
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
$ 5 billion for one additional lane is a lot of money. Why not make a 12-lane bridge with one HOV lane each way? That way you don't need additional bus lanes, because traffic can flow. As a taxpayer I wouldn't accept an expenditure of $ 5+ billion that doesn't solve an inch of traffic congestion.

A high price tag with the simple explanation "building anything in New York State is just expensive" won't do for me. You don't need billions in expropriation costs here. It's just the new bridge structure and some space around both bridge heads. The Tappan Zee is probably not extremely deep either, otherwise the current bridge would've been a Verrazano Narrows Bridge-like structure (suspension bridge).
We don't need the HOV lane , but the Rail line is needed. But the cost of the whole project is fishy and once again proves how corrupt New York state is.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 01:08 AM   #30
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16680

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
NY Times

The transit-inclusive designs were estimated to cost as much as $16 billion. By deferring transit, the bridge can be quickly replaced for around $5 billion. So it's good the Tappan Zee is getting fast-tracked but bad for anyone who doesn't drive.
Thats ridiculous , build the Rail line now ....this region has been promised it for decades....add in the busway too. Most people in this region are tired of the half built projects and aren't going to stand for this.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #31
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Here's a video of the Tappan Zee Bridge from a driver's point of view.

Old October 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #32
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Was gonna say something but I'll hold my tongue... Please just stop comparing everything to Europe
I think he's comparing it to the Netherlands specifically: a country with a dense infrastructure, planning problems and an economy not all too dissimilar from this region. So I don't believe a comparison is all that unfair.

julesstoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #33
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6371

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
NY Times

we both know that this "in the future" will never come unless they do it right away. today. NYC region needs more mass transit, not just new automobile roads. It is not a solution to build 20 lanes highways and feed them into NYC - that will never work. Besides even if you want to build these huge monster highways, given the geography of the city it is simply impossible to squeeze them in. City is way too crowded to have space for such a road.

So as of today this city, and I can testify to that, is choking with traffic 24/7. Highways system is pretty old there, lanes are narrow (smaller than any other highway outside the city) and entrances to highways are so dangerous that any outsider will be simply frightened to take them. I saw it plenty of times.

So the long term solution is more and more mass transportation into the city from across the Hudson. First they canceled the ARC tunnel, now they want to be even more cheapskates and get rid of transit? I think that is too much. I know it is expensive but I'd rather see high tolls on this bridge, but see it done right rather than see it without transit.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:29 AM   #34
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 208

It looks like things are moving rapidly for this project. They are planning and accepting bids from four major design/build contractors this summer! Here's an article published today: bridge on rapid pace

Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #35
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Plan 5 definitely. And yes $ 1 billion is cheap considering the scale of this project. I'm looking at $3 b by the time they finish.

Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #36
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 20100

edit: old post, links stopped working

Last edited by Hudson11; December 21st, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #37
Lawrence Wright
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I see cars, trains and pedestrians. Two questions.

1. Where's the landing strip for planes?
2. This building needs to accommodate passing ships.

(strictly comical)

It's a nice design, I like plan 5 better because rails should be underground. They're easier to maintain, and require less maintenance.
Lawrence Wright no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #38
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6371

here it is

It is time to refresh this thread

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:19 PM   #39
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

When they start this project it will be a very big one to say the least. I like that render in the above post & I think it will be the winning design. Only because of the cost .

charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM   #40
Suspensionstayed

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1966 View Post
When they start this project it will be a very big one to say the least. I like that render in the above post & I think it will be the winning design. Only because of the cost .
It is the winning design...

http://enr.construction.com/infrastr...Zee-Bridge.asp

It's official: The New York State Thruway Authority has chosen a $3.14-billion bid by Tappan Zee Constructors as the plan for the next version of the 3.1-mile-long, 57-year-old Tappan Zee bridge. The bid was the lowest submitted from all the competing teams.

Suspensionstayed no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hudson river, new tappan zee bridge, new york, tappan zee