search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Bridges

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM   #41
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

Nice, I also heard this week that they Thruway Authority has pushed the go ahead button.
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #42
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 805

When the new bridge was being proposed, how was it initially planned to accommodate a rail line (which has now been discarded due to costs)?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #43
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
When the new bridge was being proposed, how was it initially planned to accommodate a rail line (which has now been discarded due to costs)?
Thats a complex answer , the Governor seems to have inflated the numbers....4B is the best option for the over stressed corridor...mainly along the corridor supported 4B and the costs seemed reasonable at the time and many do not believe the new costs. Everything in this region when it becomes at political project shoots up in costs...so its either slimmed down or canceled both damage and further strain the regional economy... I have a feeling 4B will happen in same steps , the cross Westchester LRT along with a BRT network is in the works and a Rockland county rail network is slowly underway in planning , which once down all you would need to add is the Rail across the Bridge.

http://www.tzbsite.com/public-involv...res-feb07.html

Quote:

Alternative 1 is the no-build alternative, one that is required for analysis in environmental impact statements. It is the yardstick against which the impacts of build alternatives are measured. Under this alternative, maintenance of the bridge and the Thruway would continue in order to keep the facilities in a safe operating condition. In addition, this alternative does include approved program improvements for I-287 in Westchester County, as do all other alternatives. However, it should be noted that no build does not mean no impact. There are transportation, environmental and cost impacts related to doing nothing.

Alternative 2 involves rehabilitation of the existing bridge to meet current design and seismic standards. It also includes implementation of Transportation Demand Management/Transportation Systems Management (TDM/TSM) measures such as congestion pricing, ramp metering and increased E-Z Pass usage. Some of these measures are already being implemented by the Thruway Authority. These TDM/TSM measures are part of all build alternatives.

The main span of the bridge would be rehabilitated, with the bridge remaining in its current configuration with 7 travel lanes and the movable barrier. It should also be noted that half of the bridge (the trestle section) would have to be entirely replaced. When completed, however, this alternative would result in ongoing high maintenance costs, traffic disruptions and traffic safety issues. For example, there are currently no shoulders on the bridge for motorists to safely pull out of traffic.

For the major build alternatives, 3, 4A, 4B, and 4C, there are common highway improvements being considered for all. These include:
  • High occupancy toll, or HOT lanes, across Rockland County and over a replacement bridge. These HOT lanes are primarily for buses and high occupancy vehicles. Single occupancy vehicles would be allowed into the lanes on a dynamic toll basis, that is, a toll that increases as traffic congestion increases.
  • Rockland County is characterized by steep grades (3 to 4%) that affect the movement of traffic and also how rail transit would be implemented in the corridor. Thus, we are studying possible westbound and eastbound climbing lanes.
  • Finally, a possible lane extension near Suffern is being considered to balance the lane configuration on the Thruway.

There are also common replacement bridge concepts for Alternatives 3, 4A, 4B and 4C. A replacement bridge would be constructed just north of the existing bridge. However, it is most important to note that the replacement bridge touches down in Nyack and Tarrytown in the same locations as the existing bridge. As shown in the enlargements, the dashed lines show the existing right-of-way for the bridge and Thruway. The replacement bridge touches down within the existing right-of-way.

Alternative 3 is Full-Corridor Bus Rapid Transit, or BRT. It includes the HOT lanes and climbing lanes in Rockland and a replacement bridge as just described. Buses would use the HOT lanes in Rockland and over the bridge, keeping out of mixed traffic. In Westchester County, the buses would use exclusive bus lanes, largely on existing streets such Route 119, local streets in White Plains, and Westchester Avenue. These lanes could be used by existing bus services such as the (Westchester County) Bee-Line System, which would be a major benefit to bus users.

Alternative 4A is the first of three alternatives involving commuter rail transit, or CRT. It would include the previously described highway improvements in Rockland County and a replacement bridge. From the transit perspective, it offers full-corridor CRT from Suffern to Port Chester with direct connections or transfers to the Port Jervis, Hudson, Harlem, New Haven lines and possibly to the Pascack Valley Line. There would be 9 or 10 new stations along the corridor, including a major station in Tarrytown, called the Tappan Zee Station. This alternative would offer a one-seat ride for passengers from Rockland and Orange Counties across the corridor to Stamford and also to New York City.

Alternative 4B differs from 4A in the type of transit service across Westchester County. It includes the previously described highway improvements, a replacement bridge, and direct rail connection to the Hudson Line for a one-seat ride to New York City. In Westchester, the transit mode would be light rail, or LRT. This service would start at the existing Tarrytown Station, connect to the new Tappan Zee transfer station, and then continue across the county. It would be primarily in its own right-of-way along Route 119 and Westchester Avenue, and in White Plains it would be on local streets.

Alternative 4C includes the previously described highway improvements, a replacement bridge, and direct rail connection to the Hudson Line for a one-seat ride to New York City. However, in Westchester, the transit mode would be bus rapid transit, generally following the bus routes described in Alternative 3.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #44
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 4

If they build this bridge with the full commuter rail they could build some type of rail bypass using existing rail lines that link into the NEC and bypass Pennsylvania Station and the need to build extra tunnels by linking up this bridge into the over all Amtrak rail network. Such as the trains would go on the NEC and go up the river cross over this thing and go back down the Hudson Line.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #45
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 20483

it's growing on me
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM   #46
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6421

Quote:
Mayor Bloomberg Jabs Gov. Cuomo For "Terrible Mistake" On New Tappan Zee Bridge

"Not to put mass transit on the bridge is a terrible mistake,” said Bloomberg, who also criticized New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s decision to cancel a rail tunnel under the Hudson River.

“I don't care what it costs,” Bloomberg said. “Mass Transit is our future.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dai...pan-zee-bridge

I just love Bloomberg! He says what everyone knows needs to be done!!!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #47
Danascian

Likes (Received): 1

That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. They should call it the Crappan Zee Bridge.

FM 2258 liked this post
Danascian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #48
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danascian View Post
That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. They should call it the Crappan Zee Bridge.
Looks is only a minor consideration for bridges. Functionality and cost-effectiveness certainly outweigh looks when designing a bridge.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #49
charmedone

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
i drive over this 4 times a week believe me this bridge is much better then the current one
charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #50
Suspensionstayed

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Crap & Pee Bridge
Suspensionstayed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #51
Firefighter

Likes (Received): 11

Had the chance to drive over the bridge last week and saw several barges with cranes just north of the bridge on both sides of the river. Does anyone know if they are doing work on the new span?
Firefighter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 07:57 PM   #52
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
Hehe I like that name.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #53
typo86

Likes (Received): 26

http://www.newnybridge.com/

https://twitter.com/NewNYBridge
typo86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #54
charger1966

Yes they have started construction of the new bridge.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:04 PM   #55
charger1966

Webcams

Hey Everyone, I sent an email to the NTZBG (New Tappan Zee Bridge Group) and asked if they plan on installing webcams for the construction process. I just got the reply and they said Yes there will be cams set up by Earthcam in the near future. It sounds like there will be several of them.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 04:39 PM   #56
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 572

Wow, so no rail? What a waste.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:22 PM   #57
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
+1
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM   #58
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Because Cucmo inflated the costs and said it would not connect to any lines which he lied. It would have connected to the New Haven Line in Port Chester , Harlem line in White Plains , Bus Service to Tarrytown at Tarrytown JCT along with through service to GCT from the 287 line , Future : West Shore Line at West Nyack , Pascack Valley line at Nanuet , Main/Bergen/Port Jervis line in Hillburn. Ridership estimates varied but were at least 65,000 , some pushed 140,000 if you ran through service to Stamford which along with White Plains are huge employment cities.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #59
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 16767

It's a known fact that future rail ridership estimates are consistently overestimated and costs of large projects are consistently underestimated. Unlike toll road facilities, the cost of large rail projects will never be recovered through fares, so unless a large bag of tax money comes in to fund it, it won't fly.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:45 AM   #60
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's a known fact that future rail ridership estimates are consistently overestimated and costs of large projects are consistently underestimated. Unlike toll road facilities, the cost of large rail projects will never be recovered through fares, so unless a large bag of tax money comes in to fund it, it won't fly.
Neither does highways , look at the huge hole the ICC proved to be in Maryland. Overestimated in the traffic usage and revenues... People don't care about whether it can cover costs or not , otherwise we wouldn't be overhauling and replacing several large bridges in this region. If it adds to the regional or local economy and gives people relief and options in their commuting habits people welcome it and won't oppose it. Ridership estimates are usually lower than the final count in this region.

Tags
hudson river, new tappan zee bridge, new york, tappan zee