search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #81
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 4635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depeched View Post
Poland after war don't have any minority problems (sorry man), because all nations from there were just cleaned.

Ok, Talk what just you want. But if you want to try talk about Lithuania, look in facts, but not in level "something said that".
I could say absolutely the same for Poland and so what? It is emotions but not decisions.
This is the reason why I immediately became sensitive to this thread, not because of the title, but the oversimplification of history, and above all the tone. I don't know where all this hate for Poland in some extremist circles is coming from in Lithuania after a millenium of brotherhood, it's obviously political and has something to do with the poor treatment of Polish minorities in your country.

moderator please close this thread until there is an attitude change.
"illiberal democracy" is a lie, a cover for Nazism, authoritarianism and the desire by fading empires to regain their former glory by installing elitist puppet regimes that eventually strip people of their wealth and rights

The EU must ban the direct funding of election campaigns by foreign interests.

Krakow - Florence of the North

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #82
ja.centy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychlik View Post
Somebody shut this thread down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
moderator please close this thread until there is an attitude change.
This thread should be kept open, in my opinion. If our Lithuanian 'friend' talks rubbish, we'll keep pointing him out, no sweat.

By way of analogy, I believe nothing would stop us (Poles) from opening a photo thread depicting the architectural traces of Polish heritage in Vilnius/Wilno, Lviv/Lwów and other areas of the former Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
ja.centy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #83
Karasek

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsuma View Post
Any surprise there?
No. My post was ironic... as far as I know there is no Gerhart Hauptmann street in Sklaska Poreba, no Max Born auditorium in Wroclaw and no Arthur Schopenhauer monument in Gdansk. But in Wroclaw I'm always impressed by the plagues who tell me that some Poles spend a night in the city.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #84
RS_UK-PL

Likes (Received): 3356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
No. My post was ironic... as far as I know there is no Gerhart Hauptmann street in Sklaska Poreba, no Max Born auditorium in Wroclaw and no Arthur Schopenhauer monument in Gdansk. But in Wroclaw I'm always impressed by the plagues who tell me that some Poles spend a night in the city.
Why Germans removed Polish eagles from Neptune's Fountain in Danzig/Gdansk in 1935? Why Germans restricted the usage of other languages than German in East Prussia in 1870s? Why Germans demolished Hercules (allegory of John III Sobieski) Well in Elbing/Elblag in 1885? Etc.

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 26th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
RS_UK-PL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #85
JValjean

Likes (Received): 232

I guess those Poles here never heard anything about Gerhart Hauptmann, Arthur Schopenhauer, Max Born etc.

Perhaps only that these guys were fruits of several hundreds of years of enforced and brutal Germanization of eternal Polish grounds …

Anyway this here’s about the former German territory of East Prussia. Even after WWI, as the allied tried to weaken Germany as much as possible, this region stayed part of Germany.

Don’t you think dear Polish patriots that if East Prussia wouldn’t have been in its character a German land in 1918 it had rested a part of Germany? After all territorial losses and punishments the allied implemented on Germany?
JValjean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #86
whatever...

Likes (Received): 835

Some of you guys are genuinely mental. You've managed to turn a perfectly innocent and interesting thread into another "Poland strong!!!" pissfest for no reason whatsoever...

I'd suggest the moderator responsible for this section to delete all of the nationality related, offtopic posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto_S View Post
Today's Lithuania has a lot of problems with finding their own identity.
Doesn't make any sense. Why would we even be searching for something which we have never lost.

datinti liked this post
whatever... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #87
JValjean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_UK-PL View Post
Why Germans restricted the usage of other languages than German in East Prussia in 1870s?
Perhaps for the same reasons why France implemented the french language as sole and unique national language from Bretagne over Basque country to Alsace and Corsica: une nation, une langue!
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #88
whatever...

Likes (Received): 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.centy View Post
Quote:
Allenstein/Olsztyn/Alštynas

current state - Poland

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5773/imgp1870a.jpg
Well, well. Look at that little Samogitian scoundrel... 'Current state Poland' for Olsztyn?
Seriously? what the hell is wrong with you guys?

All i see in that picture is a beautiful building well in shape, good infrastructure and decent cars. So it is in black and white (which i admit, with no offense meant to Depeched, is unnecessary) - big f***ing deal. Does every picture of Poland have to be with rainbows and children laughing and flowers blooming and all that...?
whatever... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #89
Depeched

Likes (Received): 1085

Ok, Now back to current Lithuania.
Minor Lithuania as a ethnic region of Lithuania, always understandable as former East Prussia region. Nobody wants to ram it home that this area was full of lithuanian culture.
Lithuanians had own military part in Prussia army, where was used lithuanian language. Here, were printed lithuanian books for Lithuania, which was part of Russia Empire and lithuanian language was forbiden.

Lithuanians in Easter Prussia felt themselves as citizens of Prussia, later Germany.
I absolutlly sure that was a same in Southern part of Eastern Prussia. Till Hitler came to power, all germans seen this region as land of lithuanians. It still visible that this region was richer then Poland or Lithuania. When you just cross the former border, views of towns, architecture very diferrent and richer than Poland and Lithuania areas, I will not start to talk about Russia.

Heydekrug/Šilutė/Šilokarčema. Lithuania

Old bridge

German notes, kept well,

Last edited by Depeched; August 26th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Depeched no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #90
Depeched

Monument for german novelist and dramatist Hermann Sudermann,

Renovation of Hugo Scheu manor, there is also and monument for him

http://www.fotokronika.lt/photos/866....watermark.jpg

Old August 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #91
JValjean

Very nice and interesting images!
I’ll travel once to Lithuania and the whole Baltics for sure!
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #92
Depeched

Examples of village houses

Old August 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #93
ja.centy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JValjean View Post
I guess those Poles here never heard anything about Gerhart Hauptmann, Arthur Schopenhauer, Max Born etc.
Schopenhauer? Is that the philosopher, who claimed his ancestors were Polish nobles?

Oh, sorry. I think I've mistaken him with Nietzsche.

As for Max Born, it seems that he was of Jewish descent, wasn't he?

Anyway, I believe some of you may be misinformed, because from what I've googled, there is, for example, a Max Born Square in Wrocław alright (Google Maps, Wikipedia).

Quote:
Don’t you think dear Polish patriots that if East Prussia wouldn’t have been in its character a German land in 1918 it had rested a part of Germany?
Well, East Prussia certainly hadn't been an ethnic German land, but undoubtedly acquired much of Germanic character during the Teutonic and then Prussian rule.

Similarily, the Vilnius/Wilno Region hadn't been an ethnic Polish land, but became so starting from 17-18th c. As for Western Ukraine and the lands around Lviv/Lwów, their ethnic Polish roots (Lendians tribe) can be considered with more certainty, as opposed to Vilnius. Those lands were therefore set to be part of Poland after 1918.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever... View Post
Some of you guys are genuinely mental. You've managed to turn a perfectly innocent and interesting thread into another "Poland strong!!!" pissfest for no reason whatsoever...
It's called 'snowball effect', from one comment to another, you know yourself...

But isn't it entertaining for you, no?

Quote:
Doesn't make any sense. Why would we even be searching for something which we have never lost.
Oh really?

As I said before, the elites of GDL, which was a multi-culti state with Ruthenian majority, had chosen to polonise on their own, as they considered Polish language & culture as more prestigeous.

Until 19th c. Lithuanian had been mainly a verbal language of the peasantry in lovely Samogitian woods and swamps.

Quote:
Does every picture of Poland have to be with rainbows and children laughing and flowers blooming and all that...?
I don't care about the quality of pictures. If the foreigners don't attempt to touch our Holy Poland, everything will be fine, comprende?

Last edited by ja.centy; August 26th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #94
Depeched

Someone, please erase this all offtopic.

Old August 26th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #95
ja.centy
BANNED

Oh no. Let the voice of the public be heard, as censorship may not be the best idea for resolving this kind of controversial topic.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #96
JValjean

Quote:
As for Max Born, it seems that he was of Jewish descent, wasn't he?
Yes he was and what's your prurpose by asking this? Many brilliant Germans were of "jewish descent"

Quote:
Well, East Prussia certainly hadn't been an ethnic German land, but undoubtedly acquired Germanic character during the Teutonic and then Prussian rule.
You mix up German and Germanic
The idea, the leitmotiv of Prussia wasn't beeing a Germanic kingdom. That the name came from a baltic folk was clear to everyone.

Prussia was multi-ethnic - and yes - a quite tolerant country for its time. That's why tens of thousands of French protestants settled in Prussia, also in East-Prussia. Austrians, Dutch and Scots immigrated to Prussia and all became loyal and very often patriotic Prussian citizens, in East Prussia together with Lithuanians in the North and Masurians in the South.

A famous Prussian of French descent was Theodor_Fontane:
Quote:
a German novelist and poet, regarded by many as the most important 19th-century German-language realist writer. (wikipedia)
Or the De Maizière family:
Quote:
Several family members have had and still have important roles in German politics and business. (wikipedia)

Last edited by JValjean; August 26th, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #97
Puritan

Likes (Received): 1459

Quote:
Gerhart Hauptmann

- Museum "Dom Gerharta Hauptmanna" in Jelenia Góra
http://www.muzeum-dgh.pl/

- G.Hauptmann street - Słubice
- G. Hauptmann place - Szczawno Zdrój

Max Born
Commemorative plaque - Wrocław
Max Born square - Wrocław
Max Born bust - Wrocław University

Arthur Schopenhauer

A.Schopenhauer street - Gdańsk
A.Schopenhauer plaque - Gdańsk
A.Schopenhauer Park - Gdańsk
A. Schopenhauer bust - Gdańsk University

Streets, parks, schools, monuments named after Fahrenheit, T.Mann, Goethe, Schiller, Beethoven, Luter, Hacken, Adenauer etc.

definition of Ignorance for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance

mar04 liked this post
Puritan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #98
JValjean

Baltic Tribes around 1200

Source: wikipedia

"Altpreußische Landschaften im 13. Jahrhundert" / Old-Prussian (Baltic Prussian) landscapes (regions) in the 13th century

Source:wikipedia

Last edited by JValjean; August 26th, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #99
Puritan

Likes (Received): 1459

Quote:
Gerhart Hauptmann

- Museum "Dom Gerharta Hauptmanna" in Jelenia Góra
http://www.muzeum-dgh.pl/

- G.Hauptmann street - Słubice
- G. Hauptmann place - Szczawno Zdrój

Max Born
Commemorative plaque - Wrocław
Max Born square - Wrocław
Max Born bust - Wrocław University
Max Born annual symposium - Wrocław Univ.

Arthur Schopenhauer

A.Schopenhauer street - Gdańsk
A.Schopenhauer plaque - Gdańsk
A.Schopenhauer Park - Gdańsk
A. Schopenhauer bust - Gdańsk University
A. Schopenhauer tram
Streets, parks, schools, monuments named after Fahrenheit, Uphagen, T.Mann, Goethe, Schiller, Beethoven, Luter, Hacken, Adenauer etc.

definition of Ignorance for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance

Last edited by Puritan; August 26th, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Puritan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #100
Barto_S

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Yes he was and what's your prurpose by asking this? Many brilliant Germans were of "jewish descent"

Prussia was multi-ethnic - and yes - a quite tolerant country for its time. That is why tens of thousands French protestants settled in Prussia, also in East-Prussia. Austrians, Dutch and Scots immigrated to Prussia and all became loyal and very often patriotic Prussian citizens, in East Prussia together with Lithuanians in the North and Masurians in the South.
Prussians were tolerant... Germanization of land and people of course wasn't obligatory.
Ehh, that's some embarrassing joke has nothing to do with the history of this country and its successors
Barto_S no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
königsberg, polska