daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

NEW YORK | 1865 Broadway | 126m | 416ft | 33 fl | U/C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new residential tower is proposed for the American Bible Society site:

Previous taller design:

Vision: 1865 Broadway

Quote:
October 8, 2014

YIMBY featured a sneak peek of 1865 Broadway’s potential earlier this year, with renderings by Danny Forster Design Studio depicting the reconfiguration and vertical extension of the building. Since then, the site’s current occupant — the American Bible Society — has elected to leave the location for a new building, opening the possibility for a skyline-altering icon to take its place.

Now, we have the first firm look at a proposal for the site, designed by Goldstein Hill & West, which would involve the total demolition of the old structure. The new building would stand approximately 40 stories tall, but the height would be accentuated by palatial ceilings, like many other new skyscrapers rising across Manhattan. GH & W could not be reached for comment, but the tower appears to rise between 600 and 700 feet, and would stand on the corner of Broadway and West 61st Street.

1865 Broadway’s location is fantastic, which should guarantee an attractive design. The rendered proposal features a relatively simple envelope, rising with several setbacks, and the facade features a mix of glass and masonry, likely limestone. This is especially apt considering the record-setting 15 Central Park West, aka Limestone Jesus, is directly across the street, and is deserving of equally attractive neighbors.

The site’s development potential measures approximately 300,000 square feet, and will likely include retail along Broadway. Even 15 Central Park West, where a penthouse sold for $88.5 million in 2013, has active retail in its frontage on Broadway. While many expensive apartments may sit unused for much of the year, a building’s engagement with the street below is what matters to pedestrians.

[...]

Last edited by desertpunk; November 30th, 2015 at 10:05 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #2
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Nice design. Its will height have more of an impact in that area it seems.

The EDM Student
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #3
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Very nice and it's pretty tall too! This location deserves it and it needs to be tall to offer great CP views! I hope this design gets picked as is for the next developer.

I like it kinda has 2 sides to it. The East facing fašade kind of speaks to the classic 15 CPW and then it transitions to the other side with glassy fašade.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #4
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I'm not too keen on the design but it's way better than what's currently there and the height is impressive for the area.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #5
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Very nice and it's pretty tall too! This location deserves it and it needs to be tall to offer great CP views! I hope this design gets picked as is for the next developer.

I like it kinda has 2 sides to it. The East facing fašade kind of speaks to the classic 15 CPW and then it transitions to the other side with glassy fašade.
I noticed that and it's cool...hope there's away to get it to the 800ft range but would be thrilled if built even as this render style.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #6
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I'm not too keen on the design but it's way better than what's currently there and the height is impressive for the area.
The old building has a nice square patterned facade...

I guess this new proposal also has some references to the old building.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #7
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3589

It definitely seems so, which is a nice thought, although I would say the execution of the new building is pretty lacking. The proportions of the various sections (podium, upper base, glass and stone parts of the tower) seem off. I'd honestly prefer either an all glass tower, or something closer to its neighbor, Limestone Jesus.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 05:48 AM   #8
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Big news, lads!

A 300k sf residential tower on this small footprint can be pretty tall!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american...hia-1422839119

The American Bible Society has been based at 1865 Broadway for nearly 50 years. PHOTO: STEVE REMICH FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
By KEIKO MORRIS
Feb. 1, 2015 8:05 p.m. ET

The American Bible Society has sold its New York City headquarters building near Columbus Circle to AvalonBay Communities Inc. for $300 million, a price that will pay for the nonprofit organization’s move to Philadelphia and allow it to reinvest in its services.

The 199-year-old society has been at 1865 Broadway for almost 50 years.

The winning offer from real-estate investment trust AvalonBay was one of about 25 domestic and international bids for the building, according to Cushman & Wakefield Inc., which advised the American Bible Society on the sale and its relocation.

“It’s one of those sites that just don’t come along very often,” said Martin Piazzola, AvalonBay senior vice president of development for New York City.

AvalonBay’s plans are still being shaped, but the company intends to raze the existing building and construct a high-end residential development with retail space at its base, Mr. Piazzola said.

The building could measure more than 300,000 square feet, including about 55,000 to 60,000 square feet of retail, he said.

Located a block from Central Park, the American Bible Society building sits in an area of exclusive, ultraluxury high-rises, a far cry from the neighborhood the nonprofit found when it moved there from Park Avenue in the mid-1960s.

The property drew interest from about 150 investors, said Helen Hwang, executive vice president for the New York capital markets group at Cushman.

“For a site of this size and scale and in this location, typically developers have to assemble it,” Ms. Hwang said. “It’s very rare for a development site of this quality to come to market as one piece.”

Over the last decade, many new hires with the Bible society opted to work in the organization’s Valley Forge, Pa., location because it was more affordable than New York, aid Roy Peterson, president and CEO of the nonprofit organization. Many of its New York staff live in New Jersey, he said.

“I wanted to bring the whole team together in one place in order to be really effective to deal with the changes in the digital world,” Mr. Peterson said. “Philadelphia presented a really dynamic city and [is] much more affordable than New York and a fairly easy relocation.”

The Bible society, which aims to broaden the Bible’s readership by translating it in different languages and making it digitally accessible, will keep a presence in Manhattan and is shopping for office space now

The society plans to lease its new headquarters in a Philadelphia neighborhood filled with historic attractions, which Mr. Peterson said was only fitting. “People come to New York for shopping, for Broadway,” he said. “They don’t come to New York to learn about our nation’s history or the Bible.”

Write to Keiko Morris at [email protected]

Hudson11, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; February 2nd, 2015 at 06:02 AM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #9
LondoniumLex
BANNED

They must build tall to get Central Park views over 15 CPW and Trump.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:52 PM   #10
Vertical_Gotham

I agree, especially that this is planned to be high-end resi with 300k sf which is a lot.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:19 PM   #11
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22548

welp, some rich folk are gonna throw a hissy fit when they learn their view of the Hudson will be blocked. Also, I'm kind of disappointed to see this brutal-like building go. They're not a dime a dozen in Manhattan like those run down pre wars.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:26 PM   #12
Vertical_Gotham

I think a 700' tower is achievable here easily.

Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:28 PM   #13
LondoniumLex
BANNED

I agree, VG, but I'm hoping for 1,000' which is easily attainable .
Old February 3rd, 2015, 02:41 AM   #14
Vertical_Gotham

yea me too!

I'm still waiting for some kind of news on that cetra ruddy super tall project in the works for the Upper East Side.

Old February 3rd, 2015, 04:06 AM   #15
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Me too.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 03:40 PM   #16
Vertical_Gotham

Retail flagship makes sense for AvalonBay’s midtown site
http://rew-online.com/2015/04/01/ret...-midtown-site/

Quote:

AvalonBay is considering a 60,000 s/f retail flagship for the base of its newest Midtown apartment tower.

The builder paid $300 million for 1865 Broadway in February and announced plans for a 300,000 s/f tower.

Speaking at a panel hosted by the Hellenic-American Chamber of Commerce last week, Martin Piazzola, senior vice president of development at AvalonBay Communities, said the retail concept made the most financial sense.

“If it’s on 5th Avenue,” said Piazzola. “The first thing that comes to mind is the retail value. Clearly that’s probably the most expensive real estate with the highest rental rates in the world is on Fifth Avenue in the upper 50’s. For us to make any sense of that, we’d have to leverage up on the retail component.”

“That’s really something that we’re doing at West 61st Street at our site,” Piazzola continued. “We would look to create a box of maybe three or four levels of retail which would help subsidize what would be a very expensive price per s/f, probably north of a $1,000 a foot.”

The comments came as part of a discussion focused on development in Midtown Manhattan moderated by Louis Katsos, president of Jekmar Associates.

At a time where major entities such as Time Warner and Time Inc. are choosing to abandon the general Midtown area, the panel was asked how they would work together to design, construct and allocate new development in the neighborhood.

The panelists — who included Jay Badame, president and COO of Tishman Construction, Faith Hope Consolso, retail chairman at Douglas ELliman, Carols R. Olivieri, Jr., senior vice president at Edward J. Minskoff Equities — were almost unanimous in their support of retail.

“This is Fifth Avenue,” said Consolo. “There’s only one Fifth Avenue. It’s the most famous shopping street in the world; it’s the most sought after street. We are in a city where I hope this year we’ll see maybe 58 million tourists. This is a city where brands are made. This is one retail corridor that maintains the value even during the downturn.” added Consolo.

“So there is no issue to attract not only retailers that are well capitalized, but you would really almost have a bidding war. With that type of platform you could do one or two retailers you could have one big specialty store, you could divide up the ground floor.”

“Fifth Avenue is a flagship location, especially in the 50’s,” Consolo said. “Not just flagships but it’s been the place where bigger is better. The interesting thing is that it’s all types of retail. I call it from denim to diamonds.”

Piazollo added, “We wouldn’t take on a million s/f of rental product there, so we would probably take it up, bring in a condo investor for the top of the building.

“Where they can get, pick a number $3, $4, $5 thousand a foot and then maybe even a hotel component because a million s/f, that’s still a lot of square footage.”

Olivieri agreed that the north end of Midtown was a prime location to invest in high-end retail, but said it should not automatically be viewed as a priority over a project’s other tenants.

“We don’t like renting our retail until we have our commercial tenants in place. Why is that? Because we’re concerned that if we bring in a retailer first, we may damage the possibility of getting a bigger office tenant.”

“The last thing we want to have, for example, is an IBM renting office space and then we rent stuff to Apple. They might not be happy about that. We’re very careful to make sure that we take care of commercial tenants first and then the last thing we rent, as we did at 51 Astor Place, is the retail.”

Olivieri said Minskoff is employing the same strategy at its newest purchase, 590 Madison Avenue.

Of the theoretical development the panelists were asked to consider, he added, “Our slice will be a commercial office building slice at the bottom. We would love to have the condos on top of the building and that would help us get the financing for the project also.”

Jay Badame, president and COO of Tishman Construction, suggested that the benefits of investing in either residential /hotel space or Olivieri’s suggested office allocations are greatly impacted by the price of materials at a given moment in time.

“If it’s an office building, it’s going to be steel. If it’s residential, it’s going to be concrete,” said Badame.

“Steel is coming down, but labor is going up. A million feet? I would automatically say it’s going to be union,” Badame said, suggesting that the price of the union labor may preclude choosing one material over the other.

“We’ll actually start with structural steel on a retail base and convert to concrete especially on a couple of projects,” responded Olivieri. “That works very, very nicely.”

“The issue that we’re facing today is that it’s going to go union,” he continued.

The panel agreed that should they choose to include a retail component in their development, bringing on a name brand architect is likely wise, despite the increase in costs.

“We have all these buildings being designed with very elaborate exteriors,” said Consolo. “The retailers today are much more sophisticated.

“Retailers want one thing. They want visibility and at these numbers at these rents they want to be sure that their store can be seen.”

Old October 27th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #17
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

Bit shorter than expected but it fits well with its neighbors.

1865 Broadway Revealed, SOM-Designed Replacement Of The American Bible Society
http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/10/1865...e-society.html

ThatOneGuy, dexter2, erbse liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #18
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

Looks very German which is a good thing.
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #19
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

For me it looks like a international style building from the 1960ies. I kinda like it.
Torch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #20
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

That looks really nice! Fits NY perfectly, and seems to take a design cue from the building currently on the site. Looks like terra cotta cladding, too.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
1865 broadway, new york, nyc