search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #41
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 7903

I'm still thinking and hoping we will see more towers in the future that are not pure observation towers or buildings, but something in between. with longer and longer spires, we seem to be moving in that direction anyway.

sgollis, Victhor liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #42
fayzoon
fayzooon

Likes (Received): 1277

What a good news!

I hope this will be so tall and it looks higher than BK in the picture I would love hear about the construction start soon since, it looks serious news

BinSuroor liked this post
fayzoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 01:25 AM   #43
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4303

Okay here are my thoughts:

1. I'm personally not flashed by this tower. The cables look like a giant, messy spider web.. I would like to see a wider tower, but a sleeker main structure. The Cheongna City Infinity Tower would be a great example!
Right now, the proposal actually just looks like a TV mast, but maybe it's just because the model doesn't show architectural details I also don't think that it's the final design.

2. The tower was planned for a long time and I am pretty sure that they are serious about the project, because we don't only have pixelated amateur renders, but detailed models of a variety of designs as shown in the video. Emaar is also a very reliable developer that is never fooling around. I think they didn't announce it earlier, because they weren't determined about the project before now.
Now they published it, because the tower is theoretically ready for construction and the plans are all set. That's just my guess.

3. Dubai announced the plans of an even taller building than Jeddah Tower that already progressed too much to change the height
I guess that's Dubai's revenge for Jeddah's attempt to steal the title of the world's tallest structure.
Take that Jeddah!

Gabriel900, racso380, kevin87 liked this post

Last edited by DubaiM; February 7th, 2016 at 01:35 AM.
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #44
enrigue8
Mr president

Likes (Received): 468

Wow what a tower even if i don t get the design.
I never saw something like that.
Old February 7th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #45
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 4785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Boy View Post
I just got off the phone with Shiekh mohammed and managed to tell him about this. The project is now cancelled.

Thank you Marbles
Thanks buddy. I'm glad I could help. Just saved him billions. He should give me a reward or something. Can you call him back? 1% will do.

Last edited by AnOldBlackMarble; February 7th, 2016 at 03:04 AM.
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 03:14 AM   #46
ThatOneGuy
eltiT resU motsuC

Wow, that's amazing, it almost seems too good to be true. We will see in a few weeks.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 08:16 AM   #47
BinSuroor

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinSuroor View Post
Another video
Btw they also mentioned that the tower will be iconic and luxurious for its visitors and residents.
So the tower will definitely be more than just an observation tower

Gabriel900, Emarati2009 liked this post
BinSuroor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #48
KavirajG
Global Trekker

Likes (Received): 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emarati2009 View Post
Amazing design...lets hope it gets built...
KavirajG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #49
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 22945

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
3. Dubai announced the plans of an even taller building than Jeddah Tower that already progressed too much to change the height
I guess that's Dubai's revenge for Jeddah's attempt to steal the title of the world's tallest structure.
Take that Jeddah!
Exactly what I thought ... Jeddah better finish its tower fast or it won't enjoy the title of tallest for a long time anw I def agree with u its not the final design but Dubai is going crazy with all these new mega talls which 2 at least are very serious till now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinSuroor View Post
Btw they also mentioned that the tower will be iconic and luxurious for its visitors and residents.
So the tower will definitely be more than just an observation tower
I can't agree more

Check out the plot maps I worked on for Downtown Dubai/DIFC/SZR and Dubai Marina
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #50
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 2967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Exactly what I thought ... Jeddah better finish its tower fast or it won't enjoy the title of tallest for a long time anw I def agree with u its not the final design but Dubai is going crazy with all these new mega talls which 2 at least are very serious till now

I can't agree more
The Empire State Building NYC held the tallest title for decades but in the modern world no building will hold this title for very long...but then, there must be a height that goes beyond seriousness ?
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:12 PM   #51
fayzoon
fayzooon

I expect them to announce the least height at the start of the construction (for example; 800+ or 1000+) I hope its height won't be less than Burj Khalifa but, sadly it won't be higher than Jeddah Tower since, if it is expected to be the tallest in the world I think they would have said that in the report

So, don't be so enthusiastic guys. 1000 meters isn't that easy and I wish if it will be a mile high instead of 1000 meters but, let's wait and see

Waleed-fahad liked this post
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #52
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayzoon View Post
I expect them to announce the least height at the start of the construction (for example; 800+ or 1000+) I hope its height won't be less than Burj Khalifa but, sadly it won't be higher than Jeddah Tower since, if it is expected to be the tallest in the world I think they would have said that in the report

So, don't be so enthusiastic guys. 1000 meters isn't that easy and I wish if it will be a mile high instead of 1000 meters but, let's wait and see
Just wait and see, they will only announce height at completion for a reason There is zero logic for emaar in building a tower higher than 800 but lower than 1000m it doesnt make any sense

Plus check that video one shot it shows BK wayyyy shorter than it!! it almost looks double the height of Bk so there is no way this one is shorter than 1200m plus it was always the plan from 4 years ago to build a 1000m+ tower on the creek check the old thread.

Dubai is out of this world 4 megatalls in the coming 10 years

Check out the plot maps I worked on for Downtown Dubai/DIFC/SZR and Dubai Marina
Old February 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #53
fayzoon
fayzooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Just wait and see, they will only announce height at completion for a reason There is zero logic for emaar in building a tower higher than 800 but lower than 1000m it doesnt make any sense

Plus check that video one shot it shows BK wayyyy shorter than it!! it almost looks double the height of Bk so there is no way this one is shorter than 1200m plus it was always the plan from 4 years ago to build a 1000m+ tower on the creek check the old thread.

Dubai is out of this world 4 megatalls in the coming 10 years
But, they said it will compete with BK in its greatness and 1200+ m is so much greater and not even competing with BK especially, with this design. That's what I mint. I really like crazy heights even from my childhood and I really wish it will be like what you're saying

Gabriel900 liked this post
Old February 7th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #54
fayzoon
fayzooon

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/-comp...er-620851.html
Old February 7th, 2016, 02:21 PM   #55
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
But, they said it will compete with BK in its greatness and 1200+ m is so much greater and not even competing with BK especially, with this design. That's what I mint. I really like crazy heights even from my childhood and I really wish it will be like what you're saying
I have a clue that's gonna be higher than 1200m

Let's first make it clear that in the following pic Index Tower (328m) is in the foreground compared to the Iconic Tower (????m) which is in the background.

What I did is I tried to calculate the height of it using simple math although they aren't on the same plan which means that whatever height I get, and since the Index Tower is actually in the foreground, it will be in reality higher

Here we go:

Now using a ruler I measured Index tower to be 2.7cm while Iconic 10.5cm and since we know index is 328m high and by doing simple math we get that Iconic Tower is 1276m

Let us not forget that this calculation is not accurate since Iconic Tower is in the background hence it is looking shorter than what really it is

That's why I am saying this tower will be 1200m+

The rendering in this video screenshot might be wrong but time will tell

Edit: even if you take Iconic Tower to be 10cm and do the same calculation we still get a number higher than 1200m

racso380, Emarati2009, jackedi07, lFurqanl liked this post

Last edited by Gabriel900; February 7th, 2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old February 7th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #56
Dubai Skyscraper
AKAME GA KILL!

Likes (Received): 2517

This calculation is so wrong on so many levels.

AltinD liked this post
Dubai Skyscraper está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #57
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 491

I live in Calatrava's hometown (Valencia, Spain) and everything he has designed here is brilliant. I'm sure this will be too, once the design has been finalized.

Gabriel900, DubaiM, Emarati2009, Ultra84 liked this post
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:44 PM   #58
fayzoon
fayzooon

How many floors? any idea? or is it just an observation tower with few floors? I hope it's not
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #59
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4303

Quote:
How many floors? any idea? or is it just an observation tower with few floors? I hope it's not
I don't even think that a 1200m+ observation tower is possible to build I mean, it has to be a strong structure at some point and an observation tower is nothing more than a sleek concrete column..
But ok, I'm not a structural engineer Maybe TrueBlue can help us out

Gabriel900 liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #60
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
I don't even think that a 1200m+ observation tower is possible to build I mean, it has to be a strong structure at some point and an observation tower is nothing more than a sleek concrete column..
But ok, I'm not a structural engineer Maybe TrueBlue can help us out
Exactly my thought I doubt they will build that high just for an observation deck at the top

Tags
dubai creek harbour, hypertall, iconic tower, megatall, the tower, the tower at dubai creek