search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #41
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
I know there's the hunters point historic district which is a couple of blocks of brownstones right near Court Sq actually... Where this is going up. There is a lot of factories but walking around queensboro plaza you see more older buildings. And there's the Silvercup Studios building. Used to be a famous bakery factory or something, made Silvercup Bread.
Ya I agree there are plenty of buildings that should not be demolished. I think what Steinway tower and Dime tower are doing is a good balance between preserving heritage without stunting development. I sometimes like to think of Rome during its golden age how many Roman Nimbys whined about the Coliseum being built across the street or something. Or someone who thought the Parthenon was an eyesore. There will always be those people always have always will.

I think NYC's legacy will be the fact it did not stagnate and evolved with the times. If NYC remains at level of importance as the center of the world as Rome did and I can only imagine what it could become in a few hundred years. Or it can go the way of Paris and London and be wonderful cities that failure to progress caused them to fall behind.

Will NYCs become a relic of the 20th century as London is of the 19th and Paris the 18th?

I think this current mega boon will secure NYCs place for the well into the 21st century, but at some point you have to decide that only the truly great works are worth holding back the city.
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #42
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 1843

At least there are as many projects in London as there are in NYC.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #43
TheMoses

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokilamockingbrd View Post
Will NYCs become a relic of the 20th century as London is of the 19th and Paris the 18th?
This is one of the most misinformed things I've read on this site.

Paris often gets grief for stagnating and being a museum but it definitely isn't a relic of the 18th Century given that it was almost completely rebuilt in the 19th. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haussm...ation_of_Paris. You might be able to argue that Paris was a relic of the 19th Century on that basis, though I still think that's unfair.

Equally it makes no sense to say London is a relic of the 19th Century, as a quick Googling will show: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lo...w=1920&bih=979

Have you ever been to either of these cities?
TheMoses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #44
tokilamockingbrd

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoses View Post
This is one of the most misinformed things I've read on this site.

Paris often gets grief for stagnating and being a museum but it definitely isn't a relic of the 18th Century given that it was almost completely rebuilt in the 19th. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haussm...ation_of_Paris. You might be able to argue that Paris was a relic of the 19th Century on that basis, though I still think that's unfair.

Equally it makes no sense to say London is a relic of the 19th Century, as a quick Googling will show: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Lo...w=1920&bih=979

Have you ever been to either of these cities?
I was referring a bit more than simply buildings. They are still important cities. I said that in my post but both are most associated with their peaks relative to other cities in the world. Hardly anyone thinks London and cutting edge modern city, but London has been doing alot the past decade to get there, we will see if all the proposed developments take hold and London begins to look more like a modern city. Old Paris is a lost cause (at least for the time being) but I guess having a surrogate downtown in Le Defense is close enough.
tokilamockingbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 11:52 PM   #45
McSky

Likes (Received): 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
At least there are as many projects in London as there are in NYC.
Maybe, but compared to NYC most are just knee high to a grasshopper.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:29 AM   #46
TheMoses

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokilamockingbrd View Post
Hardly anyone thinks London and cutting edge modern city, but London has been doing alot the past decade to get there, we will see if all the proposed developments take hold and London begins to look more like a modern city.
I find this really strange. I agree I don't think London cutting edge, but I don't think that about New York either. It doesn't even have contactless cards on its Subway for god sake! And this looking like a modern city; what does a modern city look like? Shanghai, Beijing? New York doesn't look like either of those. In fact it looks far better. All in all I really have no idea what you are on about.
TheMoses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:46 AM   #47
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5204

I would call Singapore a modern city.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:04 AM   #48
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 125

To correct also the number of floors : 80.
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #49
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Likes (Received): 18425

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Thanks to the setbacks and its sleek shapes, this could become an elegant and quite timeless tower. Congrats to Queens/LIC!

Though I'd love to see more different kinds of facades there downtown, how about some classical architecture, stone facades, brick? That would be so New York.
this tower is projecting some much needed brick/stone into the inevitably glassy skyline. However, at 307', it won't be among the tallest. It's also squished against another development of the same height.

27-21 44th Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Taken Yesterday - 1/4/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eric Offereins liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; January 15th, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #50
pqmoore

Likes (Received): 362

Hill West Shows Off New Renderings of LIC's Future Tallest Skysraper, Court Square City View Tower
January 4, 2017
Quote:
After yesterday's announcement of the retirement of founding member Alan Goldstein, the architectural office of Goldstein Hill & West has debuted a new website. The site, emblazoning a new name, Hill West, gives us a glimpse of the firm’s new direction and, with it, the myriad of residential projects they have in the works. Probably their most ambitious project will be the Court Square City View Tower, which also happens to be their tallest project to date.

More photos and info in the post here.

Munwon, 57th&1st liked this post
pqmoore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #51
Hudson11
Excelsior!

cityrealty would confuse Long Island City with Manhattan...

Old January 5th, 2017, 05:07 AM   #52
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3049

I obviously should not complain about any supertall being constructed in the outer boroughs... but I didn't think it was possible for a full-fledged render to be blander than a massing model. This is astoundingly dull.
Old January 5th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #53
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 1843

Height's been cut, it's not a supertall, so no need to feel guilty about complaining.

MarshallKnight liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #54
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3049

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Height's been cut, it's not a supertall, so no need to feel guilty about complaining.

Totally missed that. Welp, consider my conscience clean.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #55
Hudson11
Excelsior!

we need some further confirmation on that matter. As we know, floor count does not necessarily equate to total height. Either way, this seems like it will be Queens' new tallest tower.

Old January 6th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #56
baronson

Likes (Received): 418

I can watch this rise from my window. Not sure if that's a privilege or not. The tower is kinda boring, but it will be the tallest in the borough. I have mixed feelings on it.

Now Brooklyn's supertall... that's a whole other level. I'm pretty jealous of that haha.

MarshallKnight liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #57
Hudson11
Excelsior!

the reason for the height cut is the FAA. Surprise, surprise. This is bad news for any tall proposals for LIC. The submission proposed to the FAA was a supertall, but the FAA wants it knocked down to 'only' 752 ft tall. The FAA cites LGA, which is about 3.7 miles from here.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...87361358&row=7

Old January 12th, 2017, 03:17 AM   #58
baronson

Likes (Received): 418

Oh thats very disappointing.
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #59
Jay

Likes (Received): 1727

Man that sucks, hopefully they can negotiate and get at least 850' or so.

~750' is a lame height but at least would still be tall for the area.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #60
Hudson11
Excelsior!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Man that sucks, hopefully they can negotiate and get at least 850' or so.

~750' is a lame height but at least would still be tall for the area.
not as much as you might think. Between One Court Square (658'), 28 on 28th (646'), Queens Plaza Park (915'/tallest?), 23-03 44th Road (704') and 43-22 Queens Street (598') and 28-10 Jackson Avenue (590') any dominance this tower would have had is negligible. Court Square is no Manhattan, but it is rising taller quickly. It seems the FAA caught wind, and want to dictate a height limit.