search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #61
Kampflamm
Service animal/Do not pet

Thanks (although they're not my pics )

Quote:
But I was wondering, the new lampposts, are they totally new? And why didn't they reproduce the old lampposts?
I think they are. The old ones look a bit different. IMO the new ones actually look a bit to "christmassy". To be honest I really don't know why they didn't use the old ones. Unter den Linden in Berlin is being "outfitted" with classic lampposts as well but they're using the pre-war ones.

Quote:
And also, have they reconstructed all the buldings at the Neumarkt? Because if I compare som eof the old and new pictures, I notice that there's one or two buildings missing.. Warum ?
There's actually lots of construction still going on. A couple of "Quartiere" are still w/o any building activity at all and as I mentioned in one of the previous posts, not all buildings will be reconstructed. There are some modern additions like this one:

Other pics

Building nearby the Neumarkt which could be reconstructed soon (Kurländer Palais)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #62
Kampflamm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old November 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #63
Kampflamm

Some additional pics of the Frauenkirche (a concert was held in there a couple of days ago)

Old November 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #64
Kampflamm

Old December 3rd, 2005, 01:27 PM   #65
Kampflamm

VVK-Quarter

Quartier III will be built here soon

Old December 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #66
George5
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I agree that things in Dresden go in good direction. Any chance that other mayor cities in Germany follow Dresden example? Why Berlin didn't constructed copies of the buildings least in centers of the Berlin before WW2?
George5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #67
sts

Likes (Received): 22

Amazing project,just amazing!
sts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #68
Kampflamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by George5
I agree that things in Dresden go in good direction. Any chance that other mayor cities in Germany follow Dresden example?
No not really I suppose. West German cities had a building boom after WW2 so projects on a scale like this are nearly impossible since everything's been rebuilt already.

Berlin chose to reconstruct some main areas (Pariser Platz near the Brandeburg Gate, Leipziger Platz near the Potsdamer Platz) with new buildings but old "traufhöhen" (ie, the buildings alongside the Pariser Platz couldn't be higher than their pre-war predecessors but the architects were more or less able to choose the facade they wanted). IMO Berlin missed a great chance when it went down that path.

Old December 11th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #69
Kampflamm

Quartier II:

[/quote]

Old December 12th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #70
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 260

Building brand new heritage is a bit Disneyland isn't it. It looks nice but it's not real
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #71
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 260

I mean, if we can just rebuild lost buildings doesn't it devalue genuine heritage somewhat? - "Knock it down its just old, if we want it back we can just build a copy some other time..." Or "lets brush over that bit of our history we arent happy with and build as though it never happened"...??
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:46 AM   #72
Kampflamm

Are you implying that we are somehow denying history. These buildings stood there for centuries and there are plenty of other reminders of WW2. It's also not disneyland-architecture. If Dresden had built a fake Loire castle in place of the Frauenkirche, you could have a point but we're seeing a great example of a reconstruction.

BTW, did you know that the clock tower on St Mark's Square in Venice is a reconstruction?

Old December 12th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #73
Mercutio

I hope, I will witness the day when architecture and city-planning are not heavily influenced anymore by dull ideologists who want to transform our cities in soulless concrete jungles.

The Neumarkt project clearly shows that a positive change has already occurred, even in Germany. This project is really one of my favourites!
Mercutio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #74
vigo80
Der er et yndigt land

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf
Building brand new heritage is a bit Disneyland isn't it. It looks nice but it's not real

Who cares if its "real". Nobody says Paris or Florence are among the world's most beautiful cities because they are "real"... they are beautiful cities because they have beautiful buildings. And why is it unreal to build in older styles, people have done that for centuries and nobody called it unreal. Come on London and Paris are full of neo-classical and neo-gothic buildings that were builts based on style that were first developed centuries or millenia in the past. Birmingham is full of "real" ugly modern buildings and has gotten nothing but jokes and ridicule for it. We should build our cities to be functional and attractive and comfortable and not to be "real"..

These buildings are also not real - neo-gothic from the late 18th century, built about 500 years too late.

vigo80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #75
LoveCPH
Bonsoir l'Europe!

Likes (Received): 8

There's nothing wrong with neo-gotchic. It was modern back then..
Old December 14th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #76
michal1982
Condom User

Likes (Received): 1

NICE UPDATE
michal1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #77
goschio
...back

Likes (Received): 3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf
Of course those buildings are real. Cant you see?

Just because the mainstream prefers to build with glass and steel does not mean that buildings of different syles become unreal. This is the future! If I am going to biuld a house, it will be in art deco style. Is that unreal then too?

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM   #78
Kampflamm

Christmas time in Dresden

Old December 24th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #79
LuckyLuke

Christmas time 2007 in Dresden will be great!

LuckyLuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #80
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1459

It will!
Should we meet there? What about a "I LOVE DRESDEN" meeting?

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen