search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #121
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz
75. Manila 15.2
I'm surprised MNL even made the list!

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #122
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 37

^ Because most aviation traffic is short haul. In Europe or SE Asia most short hail traffic is international wheras in the US short haul is overwhelmingly domestic. Every international flight to the US is long haul unless it comes from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean. That just isn't a large market or population compared to, say, Europe.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #123
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 535

Is the Mactan Cebu International Airport included? I suppose so
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #124
globocentric

Likes (Received): 8

Australian airports are poor performers as well even Sydney cant even reach 10 million despite the fact that it's the undisputed hub in ocenia. Not even Melbourne and Auckland came close to Sydney.
globocentric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #125
globocentric

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I'm quite surprised that US Airport Int' passenger volumes are not very compettive at all..

Doesnt surprise me at all. If you go to a major US airport other than LAX and NYC, all of them only a one tiny terminal devoted to international flights and the other terminals with lots of contact piers were devoted to domestic flights(examples are Phoenix, Chicago , Atlanta). Those airports even made the top 1o in overall passenger movement but international passengers probably consist of only 10 % or less of their overall traffic. on another note, it's a hell lot easier for Europeans to enter the USA compared to South Americans or Latin Americans because only predominantly white countries are eligible to travel under the Visa waiver program with the exception of Singapore and Japan. For example, the flying time from Colombia or Venezula to the USA might be shorter than the flying time from London Heathrow to JFK. However, passenger volume is a different story. Number of flights between LHR and NYC probably outnumber Colombia- US flights by 10 to 1. A similar scenario occurs in Australia as well. Flights from Syndey to LHR (20 hrs) outnumber flights from Syd to Jakarta(neigboring country) because even rich Indonesians find it very difficult to get an Aus visa. To make matters worse, i have reliable sources who told me that 80% of all flights between AUs and Indo are filled by Australians when the number of flights are already ridiculously low for a supposedly short haul route.
globocentric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #126
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 824

Yes, the larger square area countries tend to travel more within their countries by air than rail as the distances are far higher.
Also doesn't surprise me about England having a large #....its an island. To get in or out the UK you have to fly except for one connection to the outside world by the chunnel.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #127
The PhantoM
I Love NYC

Likes (Received): 0

Amsterdam is 4th on the bussiest airports! That's quite impressive i'd say. For this small country where we live in, it's quite an achievement to rank 4th on the list. And AMS is not only one of the bussiest, but also one of the best, if not the best airport.
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #128
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PhantoM
Amsterdam is 4th on the bussiest airports! That's quite impressive i'd say. For this small country where we live in, it's quite an achievement to rank 4th on the list. And AMS is not only one of the bussiest, but also one of the best, if not the best airport.
AMS is 9th in the world for total traffic and 4th for international. Remember that this is a list for international traffic only. Atlanta which is the worlds busiest airport comes in at nr66 on this list. AMS is certainly an impressive airport.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #129
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 57308

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz
1 London (LHR) 60.2 million
2 Paris (CDG) 46.3
3 Frankfurt 43.5
4 Amsterdam 42.3
5 Hong Kong 36.3
6 Singapore 28.6
7 London (LGW) 27.5
8 Tokyo (NRT) 26.6
9 Bangkok 25.8
10 Seoul (ICN) 23.6
Heathrow is quite far in the lead, and with the completion of Terminal 5, its lead will be untoppable.
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #130
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 725

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9
Heathrow is quite far in the lead, and with the completion of Terminal 5, its lead will be untoppable.
Indeed. In avaition terms all roads lead to London in this case
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #131
Desven
...und so halt!

Likes (Received): 12

Frankfurt #3 and Munich #14,not bad!
Old October 1st, 2005, 05:47 AM   #132
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Well the top 100 is not exactly the big time. ACI keeps track of airports by passengers, movements and cargo, and they only count the top 30. I would think that when you are on that list you are a pretty significant airport.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:31 AM   #133
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 13

Not surprising at all. US airports will dominate domestic lists and European airports will dominate international lists.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:36 AM   #134
Nick in Atlanta

This argument is getting so old that it's eligible for a senior citizen discount!!

Of course most US airports have low international passenger numbers. We're a country of 297 million people that can fly for four hours and still land at a domestic airport. Many European airports can make international flights with a twin-propeller plane!

If you really want to know the true ability of an airport, then count how many flights it has that are over 1000 miles, 2000 miles, 3000 miles, etc. Multiply that by the number of passengers on the plane and you'll have an "even playing field" on which to judge airports.

However, I don't think Atlanta's too bad. You can fly nonstop from Atlanta to: Johannesburg (refueling stop on Ilha da Sal), Moscow, Frankfurt (3 flights), Munich (2 flights), Stuttgart, Dusseldorf (starting later this year), Zurich, Milan, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris (3-4 flights), Amsterdam (2 flights), Copenhagen (later this year), London (3-4 flights), Manchester, Brussels, Shannon/Dublin, Tel Aviv (starting next year), Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo (2 flights), Rio de Janeiro (starting later this year), Santiago de Chile, Lima, Caracas, Bogota, Panama City, San Jose (2 flights a day), Iberia-Costa Rica, Managua (starting later this year), San Pedro Sula-Honduras (starting later this year), Guatemala City, San Salvador, Belize (starting later this year), Tokyo and Seoul. Of course I didn't mention all the islands in the Caribbean, all the cities in both Mexico and Canada which are over 1000 miles away, nor even the two nonstop seven-hour domestic flights to Hawaii.

Plus there are the 900 or so daily flights to cities on the US mainland. And those 2200 mile flights to California take about four hours, but yes they are domestic.

So when you fly into Atlanta sometime and see three planes taking off at the same time that your flight is landing along with another plane we'll just wait and see how lame we truly are. (Fifth parallel runway over a 10 lane interstate highway will come on line next year.)

By the way, to the people who actually know what they're talking about, some of my favorite airports are Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Copenhagen. Maybe one day they'll scrap Bermuda II and I'll fly into Heathrow from Atlanta.
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:57 AM   #135
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Hey, what's the domestic figure for Hong Kong's airport?
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:35 AM   #136
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 57308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
This argument is getting so old that it's eligible for a senior citizen discount!!

Of course most US airports have low international passenger numbers. We're a country of 297 million people that can fly for four hours and still land at a domestic airport. Many European airports can make international flights with a twin-propeller plane!

If you really want to know the true ability of an airport, then count how many flights it has that are over 1000 miles, 2000 miles, 3000 miles, etc. Multiply that by the number of passengers on the plane and you'll have an "even playing field" on which to judge airports.

However, I don't think Atlanta's too bad. You can fly nonstop from Atlanta to: Johannesburg (refueling stop on Ilha da Sal), Moscow, Frankfurt (3 flights), Munich (2 flights), Stuttgart, Dusseldorf (starting later this year), Zurich, Milan, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris (3-4 flights), Amsterdam (2 flights), Copenhagen (later this year), London (3-4 flights), Manchester, Brussels, Shannon/Dublin, Tel Aviv (starting next year), Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo (2 flights), Rio de Janeiro (starting later this year), Santiago de Chile, Lima, Caracas, Bogota, Panama City, San Jose (2 flights a day), Iberia-Costa Rica, Managua (starting later this year), San Pedro Sula-Honduras (starting later this year), Guatemala City, San Salvador, Belize (starting later this year), Tokyo and Seoul. Of course I didn't mention all the islands in the Caribbean, all the cities in both Mexico and Canada which are over 1000 miles away, nor even the two nonstop seven-hour domestic flights to Hawaii.

Plus there are the 900 or so daily flights to cities on the US mainland. And those 2200 mile flights to California take about four hours, but yes they are domestic.

So when you fly into Atlanta sometime and see three planes taking off at the same time that your flight is landing along with another plane we'll just wait and see how lame we truly are. (Fifth parallel runway over a 10 lane interstate highway will come on line next year.)

By the way, to the people who actually know what they're talking about, some of my favorite airports are Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Copenhagen. Maybe one day they'll scrap Bermuda II and I'll fly into Heathrow from Atlanta.

Your argument is true, but a large percentage of Heathrow's flights are very long-range, and not just 300 mile hops to paris etc.

This is the arrival information from Heathrow right now, and these are the flights that are arriving in:

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:47 AM   #137
Nick in Atlanta

@SE9: I have no doubt that Heathrow and Gatwick provide an enourmous choice of nonstop flights anywhere in the world. Same with Frankfurt, Paris CDG & Orly, and Amsterdam. Atlanta doesn't not even compete with those cities for international range and scope. My point is that Atlanta is not some goof-ball town with four and a half million passport-less dopes who can't fly beyond Birmingham, Alabama.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM   #138
richard fischer

Likes (Received): 1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by london-b
Most don't have a passport.

what is this sex with a 14year old. and this on a quotation from a female ? disgusting, you should be banned from the forums !
richard fischer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:30 PM   #139
london-b
βAŇŇĘ

Likes (Received): 1336

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard fischer
what is this sex with a 14year old. and this on a quotation from a female ? disgusting, you should be banned from the forums !
Oh I am bad, ban me now.
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:46 PM   #140
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 4

Could somebody post a list of the world's busiest airports--by total passengers?
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airports, aviation, europe, statistics