search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #81
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuesel View Post
Jardim Angela in the poor south of Sao Paulo has the highest murder rate in the world with 166,2/100.000!

A comparisment:

Class 1981

These ones are left in 2001!! The rest got murdered in the 20 years inbetween
That's wack man. Did some of them got involved in gangs or is just victims of crime?

As for HK, murder rate here is low, one of the lowest in Asia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #82
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
That's wack man. Did some of them got involved in gangs or is just victims of crime?
Both... it's not that every faveleiro is a criminal - by far not! - but for a lot of young boys the local drug dealer boss is the hero and to make money with illegal actions even if you risk your own life is a big motivation if you don't have any perspectives

But there are a lot of social projects also in these slums as public libraries, school projects or self-help groups and thus in the last 5 years Sao Paulo's crime rate is decreasing.

sursena liked this post
Küsel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #83
♣628.finst
Optimum

Likes (Received): 5

For the United States,

Large cities with the least murder rate is Honolulu (pop. 900000)

only 1.7/100000 people, 15 murders.

El Paso TX, 2.3/100000, 14 murders.

Compare:

Anchorage AK 5.8/100000, 16 murders.
NYC 6.6/100000, 573 murders.
LA 12.6/100000
SF 12.8/100000
Boston 12.9/100000, 73 murders.
Detroit 32.3/100000, 354 murders.

Honolulu is also the safest in overall violent crime.

Last edited by ♣628.finst; January 11th, 2007 at 12:36 PM.
♣628.finst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #84
Küsel
Resurrected

What about St.Louis? I thought this is the high crime capital of the US followed by Washington, Anchorage and Detroit.
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #85
tablemtn

Likes (Received): 73

Murder in Detroit was up last year to 406 homicides... since the population also declined to 880,000 people, that gives Detroit a murder rate of 46.1 per 100,000.

"What about St.Louis? I thought this is the high crime capital of the US"

Well, there is an annual survey by a private company which ranks cities according to how "dangerous" they are (this takes into account not only violent crime, but also certain types of theft). St. Louis was the worst major city for this index. The company which produces the report is named "Morgan Quitno," if you want to look it up.

Washington, DC has a crime problem, but it is no longer the worst in the US. Anchorage isn't that bad, certainly not as bad as other cities.

The "murder capital" of the US is currently New Orleans, followed by suburbs like Compton, California; Farfield, Alabama; Gary, Indiana; and others.

In terms of larger cities, Detroit, Baltimore, DC, and St. Louis are some of the worst.
tablemtn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #86
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

There was 10 murders in Oslo last year. That's a rate of 1.85/100000. In 2005 it was 7 murders, 1.3/100000.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sursena liked this post
NorthStar77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #87
levinas by the store

Likes (Received): 0

jardin angela favela USED to have the highest murder rates in the world back in 1995-96,not anymore,infact sao paulo is lot safer now,most of the murders tha happened in sao paulo last year involved either members of notorious pcc and similar other gangs in armed conflict with brazilian police and not general public.i would still speak of st loius's having one of the worst murder rates in all of americas,far worse than rio,bogota and sao paulo.in one of the recent surveys infamous rio came 30th or 35th in all over brazil so far murder's concerned.
levinas by the store no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #88
Küsel
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinas by the store View Post
jardin angela favela USED to have the highest murder rates in the world back in 1995-96,not anymore,infact sao paulo is lot safer now,most of the murders tha happened in sao paulo last year involved either members of notorious pcc and similar other gangs in armed conflict with brazilian police and not general public.i would still speak of st loius's having one of the worst murder rates in all of americas,far worse than rio,bogota and sao paulo.in one of the recent surveys infamous rio came 30th or 35th in all over brazil so far murder's concerned.
I totally agree with you in all points. Sao Paulo got much much better these years as I said. I think increasing crime rates have BH and Vitoria I read once. But as a big city I always thought Bogota and St.Louis are the worst in the continent.

Rio is quite bad because crime happens EVERYWHERE. Not as in Sao Paulo where you know which neighbourhoods you have to avoid and where it is really safe. The problem of Rio is that it is a very touristic city and has a major gap of high society and povertry while Sampa as Curitiba or POA is more of a middle class city (although the gap is obvious as well but not that extreme). I must say that the only place ever I visited in BR where I really felt uncomfortable is Rio. Every time I go there I feel such an aggression from taxi drivers to waiters, from businessmen to normal beach people... it's so sad for this absolutly beautiful city

sursena liked this post
Küsel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #89
tablemtn

" I always thought Bogota and St.Louis are the worst in the continent."

Why St. Louis? St. Louis has a murder rate (in 2006) of about 39 per 100,000 people - less than half the rate in New Orleans. It is certainly not good, but it's also not the worst. There are many places in North and South America with higher murder rates than St. Louis.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #90
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

El peso,Honolulu,Corpus Christi and San Jose are the only American cities that really compare to Canadian cities.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #91
kamilo
MUSE

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
" I always thought Bogota and St.Louis are the worst in the continent."

Why St. Louis? St. Louis has a murder rate (in 2006) of about 39 per 100,000 people - less than half the rate in New Orleans. It is certainly not good, but it's also not the worst. There are many places in North and South America with higher murder rates than St. Louis.
the worst major cities in America are Recife, Caracas, New Orleans and Cali.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #92
ferguz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

the Canadian cities are the safiest cities in the continent. and the american cities never, will be like Canadian cities, without murders, cleand and high qualty of life.
ferguz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #93
tablemtn

If we include the Caribbean in 'America,' Port-au-Prince probably has the highest rate of all.
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #94
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguz View Post
the Canadian cities are the safiest cities in the continent. and the american cities never, will be like Canadian cities, without murders, cleand and high qualty of life.
As an American citizen is just kills me every day that I will NEVER be able to live in a city that is clean and has a high quality of life.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #95
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

Canadian cities have problems, but no where near as serious...
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #96
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguz View Post
perhaps, but we're only talking about murders/homicides here. a city can have a very low murder rate but still not be necessarily safe, since there could still be dangers like non-lethal muggings and theft.
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #97
HirakataShi

Likes (Received): 11

Not entirely true.
http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060720/d060720b.htm
Canadian cities crime data toward the end

http://www.toronto.ca/quality_of_life/safety.htm
Toronto compared to other North American cities.

Notice Canadian cities have low homicide rates compared to the rest of North America, but in the category of "Break Ins" Canada's Western cities have as many as American cities do. I wonder why there is this huge difference in break-ins between Western Canada and the rest of Canada?
HirakataShi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #98
VanSeaPor
Yeah.....

Likes (Received): 0

One of the things I've noticed about living in the Pacific Northwest is that we've got lower murder rates than the rest of Canada and America, but we've got a higher rate of property crimes.

"Fact: That every man who puts money into the hands of a 'government' (so called), puts into its hands a sword which will be used against himself, to extort more money from him, and also to keep him in subjection to its arbitrary will."-Lysander Spooner

"If you don't stand for anything, you don't stand for anything!"-George W Bush
VanSeaPor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #99
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 82

Washington will be lower hopefully this yr, there were 30 less murders in '06 where there were around 165. The murder rate is still high at around 27 or 28 p/ 100k. I'm not sure about Baltimore. I believe last yr Baltimore had the highest and DC was 5th.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #100
bjfan82

Likes (Received): 1

Buffalo-Niagara Falls Metro Area: 5.5 murders per 100,000 population (2004)
USA National Average: 5.5 murders per 100,000 pupulation (2004)

City of Buffalo, NY:

5 year average = 19.96 murders per 100,000 population

It's been getting bad the last few years. Jeez, how hard is it to not kill someone?

2006: 283,000 Pop / 73 murders = 25.80 per 100,000

2005: 285,000 Pop / 56 murders = 19.65 per 100,000

2004: 287,000 Pop / 51 murders = 17.77 per 100,000

2003: 288,000 Pop / 63 murders = 21.88 per 100,000

2002: 290,000 Pop / 43 murders = 14.83 per 100,000

Last edited by bjfan82; January 12th, 2007 at 07:25 AM.
bjfan82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote