search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:11 PM   #9281
JackFrost
I am from Őcsény

Likes (Received): 11037

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampsakos21 View Post
and some North African countries for a future eu expansion
Okay, lets not exaggerate.
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:23 PM   #9282
MichiH

Likes (Received): 1942

Quote:
now the investments of Europe will go to the northern part or Europe , Ukraine , Georgia and some North African countries for a future eu expansion .
Northern part of Europe? Norway or Iceland? I don't think so. Certainly, EU will not be extended to nafri this century...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 06:36 PM   #9283
Theijs

Likes (Received): 108

[RO] Romania | road infrastructure • autostrăzi şi drumuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
EU money is gonna be less and less year after year. So now would be the right time to build a decent network.
Correct pointed out: at some point the 85% rate on subventions will stop. Already now nothing is happening at some stretches because the remaining 15% to be paid by the Romanian government is considered as 'too much' by some people.

Can somebody explain me why the new PSD-ALDE coalition government wants to re-adopt the Romanian Masterplan for Infrastructure?

http://partidulpromite.ro/psd-a-prom...rnarii-ciolos/
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #9284
Alpin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1946

Most likely they have no clue what's going on. The new Cabinet is a complete joke. Hard times ahead.
Alpin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:45 PM   #9285
lampsakos21

Likes (Received): 14

I could explain why it will be given more money for the Northern European countries and also for some North African countries Ukraine and Georgia . But it would take entire days to explain you the reasons . Time will tell that , as it has already told for us Greeks and the current economic crisis we are going through . The first two North African countries that will be within the European Union under a special status ( like the turkey one ) is Morocco and Tunisia . Mark my words for the next 15 years . For northern countries Iceland will join and Norway will have. Specific status . Investments for the arctic front will be done on North cape area , Svalbard and Greenland
lampsakos21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:51 PM   #9286
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1044

Quote:
The first two North African countries that will be within the European Union under a special status ( like the turkey one ) is Morocco and Tunisia . Mark my words for the next 15 years .

Last time I checked, Turkey wasn't in the EU; there is an association agreement since >50 years, and since >20 years, ascension negotiations have started; but not even all chapters are opened today.. And I don't think that there is much of progress to be expected in the next years with the political situation in Turkey as it is now. Ah, and not before they resolve the Cyprus issue, I guess :-)

I do think association agreements will be done with more countries in the vicinity, so that may indeed include the ones you mentioned, but I think you don't know what's the difference between that and a full membership..

Quote:
For northern countries Iceland will join and Norway will have. Specific status . Investments for the arctic front will be done on North cape area , Svalbard and Greenland

Here I also think you have not much of an idea how the EU funds work.
Much of the money that is currently used in Romania comes from structural and cohesion funds, and those for regional development. They are normally targeted at regions of countries (for some countries, this might include all the regions), and depend on the economic power of that region (measured in GDP per capita).

IF Norway would join, one of the richest countries in the world regarding GDP per capita, they'd actually be a net-payer to the EU budget; surely, some projects there would be funded from EU funds also there, but that wouldn't reduce the money available for the poorer regions. And it would be far not change the status of the Romanian regions..
With Iceland, they lost a bit recently in their GDP/capita status due to banking crisis, but they would still be above the average in the EU, so also they won't drain the resources from Romania and other countries.

Yes, there likely will generally be the case that less money will be given to infrastructure projects, especially roads, in the future. But that won't be due to any potential expansion...

(And regarding Greenland, they are a part of the Kingdom of Denmark, so a Norway/Iceland expansion won't have any direct impact with their status towards the EU or the EUs investments..)

italystf, adymartianul, SRC_100, JackFrost liked this post
rudiwien está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:36 PM   #9287
italystf

Likes (Received): 2099

Given the current political and human right situation, Turkey, Tunisia and Morocco would never join EU at least in the medium term. Moreover, non-European countries (ok, geographically a tiny part of Turkey is, but most of it isn't, and culturally it isn't) would probably never be allowed to join something called European Union (although the Cyprus precedent...).
An EU expansion towards Western Balkan countries is far more likely to happen, as those countries are geographically and culturally European and more stable and democratic than MENA countries. If those countries will join, they will become the poorest countries of EU, and so receive a lot of structural EU funds, putting current eastern EU countries in second place.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #9288
lampsakos21

Likes (Received): 14

As I already mentioned earlier it would take days to analyze why I express these thoughts here on this thread . The internet is here , so whoever has the proper time to dedicate into these matters , can find what I shared with you here . I am well aware how the eu funding is working for members and non members( for example some countries like Greece , Germany , France , Italy ,are helping with infrastructure projects countries that are not in the E.U. But they are in the European continent and also knowing the current status of some of the countries I mentioned above . I agree with you on all what you said , but I would only like to share this info I provided to you here , on this thread . I would like to inform only that morocco or Tunisia or turkey they can have a special status for specific reasons and deals between Europe and those countries . As for Iceland a referendum to join eu is in debate. And Norway is already having a special status like Switzerland has with the European Union . That's all. Ukraine Georgia and Azerbaijan are also considering the possibility to join eu or at least to have a special status with it . Anyway that was not my purpose here , but to emphasize the need ion Romania to hurry up with constructing a decent high speed road network asap
lampsakos21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #9289
Theijs

The new Romanian government has published its programme. See page 105: http://www.cdep.ro/pdfs/oz/Program%20de%20Guvernare.pdf
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #9290
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

It's only political promises, sadly it doesn't worth anything...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:43 AM   #9291
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
It's only political promises, sadly it doesn't worth anything...
Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything either on finalizing the Centura Nord of Arad (DN7), although I understood that CNADNR will finish it somehow themselves. Can anyone confirm this?

winnipeg liked this post
Old January 6th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #9292
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1903

First of all: we do not have CNADNR anymore, but CNAIR (Compania Nationala de Administrare a Infrastructurii Rutiere - NATIONAL COMPANY OF ROAD INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT).

And also there should be CNIR - Compania Nationala de Investitii Rutiere, National Company for Road Investment - but this one is not yen functional. But this is the new structure (with new personnel, new offices, new salaries, etc...) which should manage all new motorway projects. At least that was the plan of the previous government, the new one didn't say anything on this matter.

CNAIR/CNADNR indeed said that it would implement some project by themselves and north by-pass of Arad is one of them. Will have to wait to see if indeed they will do thier job in 2017.

Quote:
Can somebody explain me why the new PSD-ALDE coalition government wants to re-adopt the Romanian Masterplan for Infrastructure?
Well, they say that they will pass this Masterplan (MPGT) as a law and not as a Hotarare de Guvern / Government decision (as it is now). Given the importance of it, usually it is believed that it's more important to have a parlamentary decision and not only a Governement decision.

In their program basicly they have the same numbers and the same plans as in MPGT, but they haven't copied all the dates, so some are scared that once again some project will be put on hold and other will get more attention that they should. Also PSD governments are believed to try harder to implement projects in concesion or public-privat partnerships - so they don't really like to spend EU money as that requires more transparencies and are harder to embezzle.

Theijs, EduardSA, winnipeg liked this post
pasadia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #9293
and802

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
I think corruption and old fashion bureaucracy is the blame for this . The reason I am insisting that there is a big chance for Romania nowadays as Jack Frost says , is that the money from eu are going to be less year after year because now the investments of Europe will go to the northern part or Europe , Ukraine , Georgia and some North African countries for a future eu expansion . Romania is the second country in Europe in economic growth after Poland , and you can see that despite the fact that they are more plain in comparison with Romania , when they had to make the new highway trails,they had issues with the polish church and environmental organizations but still, they made the highways ...
three comments:

a) "environmental organizations" do not play any worth-mentioning role in the road buisness. this is the law which tells you whether you can or you cannot construct new roads. wrong argument.

b) "Polish church" - I can hardly imagine the church representatives can anyhow influence the road business. wrong argument.

c) Poland is still far away from finishing primary backbone of road network

SRC_100 liked this post
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #9294
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 11451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
Correct pointed out: at some point the 85% rate on subventions will stop. Already now nothing is happening at some stretches because the remaining 15% to be paid by the Romanian government is considered as 'too much' by some people.

http://partidulpromite.ro/psd-a-prom...rnarii-ciolos/
AFAIK, it refers to adoption in Parliament, which has not yet been done. The plan was voted only in government. Parliament adoption is not a bad thing, as it becomes law.

PS: PSD has an interesting proposal for an investment fund of approx EUR 10 B from bond issues, dividends from state owned companies and other public sources to be invested in infrastructure. The idea is interesting and is inspired from Norways sovereign oil fund. We will see how it is implemented.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; January 6th, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #9295
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 18237

I think Serbia followed a similar approach where revenues from selling state-owned companies went into infrastructure.

All in all I think it's better for countries to come up with a decent funding source without being overly dependent on EU funding to get anything built. Especially if the EU wants to shift focus from road construction to railroad projects.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #9296
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

That's true. On the other hand I would not like to see a reduction in absorption of EU funds because of that. But I also do not think it will happen. There are tons of projects in Romania which do not benefit from enough EU funding and on the other hand need to be built ASAP, irrespective of their detractors, such as Comarnic-Brasov or Craiova-Pitesti motorways.These projects could benefit from this fund.
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #9297
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think the main focus should be to use EU funds as close as possible to 100% and then use all remaining budget funds for other projects. However, as long as EU gives us money, we should use all of them for improving our infrastructure.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

cinxxx, winnipeg liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #9298
italystf

Likes (Received): 2099

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
three comments:

a) "environmental organizations" do not play any worth-mentioning role in the road buisness. this is the law which tells you whether you can or you cannot construct new roads. wrong argument.

b) "Polish church" - I can hardly imagine the church representatives can anyhow influence the road business. wrong argument.

c) Poland is still far away from finishing primary backbone of road network
In Western Europe environmental organizations (or NIMBIES posing as environmentalists) have a strong lobbying power in opposing infrastructures (roads, railways, airports, industrial plants, waste incinerators, power lines,...). They often challenge in court projects and decisions, with the result of delaying some projects for years or decades, or even cancelling them forever.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #9299
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
AFAIK, it refers to adoption in Parliament, which has not yet been done. The plan was voted only in government. Parliament adoption is not a bad thing, as it becomes law.

PS: PSD has an interesting proposal for an investment fund of approx EUR 10 B from bond issues, dividends from state owned companies and other public sources to be invested in infrastructure. The idea is interesting and is inspired from Norways sovereign oil fund. We will see how it is implemented.
Except that Norway is full of fossil fuels, they have been saving money into this fund from 27 years ago and it worth 885 billions $ for a population of 5 millions and the country has almost no corruption... The situation in Romania is almost a total opposite (a new fund of only 10 billions € for 20 millions inhabitants, there's even no comparison possible with fossile energy reserves (Norway has 10x more petrol proven reserves and 40x more gas reserves than Romania) and I won't even talk about the corruption and the current political situation where parlementaries want muzzle the anti-corruption autorities of the country...)

I wish the best for Romania, but I personaly don't see anything good coming from the current situation and especially since the result of the last elections...

[/my2cents]

and802 liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #9300
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

You had to go to long lengths to show .. nothing. So what Norway is richer?! It means we should not follow its leadership in sovereign funds?! We also have huge gas reserves in the Black Sea which will be tapped into starting 2020, and part of revenue from that will flow into this fund through dividends for example. For now there are many state owned companies which make a nice profit yearly and are slated for this fund.

As for muzzling the anticorruption authorities, that is gonna be tough and close to impossible, and I will not go off-topic to argue why.

Tags
highways, infrastructure, motorways, romania