search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #81
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17153

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
A spectacular video of the approach and landing at LGA from the cockpit, all the way from the south of Staten Island till it lands. Be sure to set it in HD.

By the way, I can't make the insertion as a frame of the video work. Anybody knows why could that be?

http://youtu.be/sf1fVdw6NCk
I think Newark and La Guardia have the best views for take-off/approach - JFK less so.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #82
EK413

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
I hate how the pavement is so discoloured, it looks like a puzzle with horrid non matching colours.
Are you referring to the tarmac / apron discolouration...?
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM   #83
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2365

New Terminal 4

slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:36 AM   #84
EK413

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
New Terminal 4

I'm heading through JFK in a weeks time flying QF from LAX & connecting onto a DL flight JFK to IAH... Hope I catch my flight & don't get distracted with the works at the new terminal...
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM   #85
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
New Terminal 4

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evhQUDhDS2Y">YouTube Link</a>
Great video! I am looking forward for new episode Does anybody now, have holograms been instaled in all terminals? I heared that the first one was installed in t5, but soon they will be in all of the terminals...
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:16 PM   #86
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Great video! I am looking forward for new episode Does anybody now, have holograms been instaled in all terminals? I heared that the first one was installed in t5, but soon they will be in all of the terminals...
That is going to be a nice addition.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #87
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 703

New episode about JFK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIZ0Z...qSV7yA&index=2

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #88
BBMW

Likes (Received): 35

Has anyone looked into the idea of using Floyd Bennett field to expand JFK? I was thinking about this, and this how and why I would implement it.

The peninsula that FBF is located on is too small to build runways to accommodate jumbos, and I wouldn't even try. One of the big issue driving the traffic increase at JFK is airlines using small planes with more frequency to drive hub operations, with transfers to the international flights. What I would use FBF would be to move the regional jet and commuter prop traffic off of JFKs main field. Doing a quick map out, I figure that peninsula could accommodate two, and possibly three runways on the 13-31 axis, with lengths for 5,500' to 7,500'. This is easily big enough to take off any commuter jet. In point of fact significantly larger aircraft could use them.

I'd build a terminal with something like 50 gates, sized for 737/A320 and smaller aircraft. I would then build a high speed / high capacity people / luggage mover system, using the Belt Parkway right of way. This would move passengers inside the security cordon between the new terminal to all of the existing terminals at JFK, so easy transfers between flights at any terminal would be possible (this would be useful for interterminal transfers at JFK itself.)

This could allow and additional 60-90 operations an hour from what JFK can do alone.

There are airspace issues. The big one would be LGA. The runway 4 approach at LGA would likely conflict with the western approach/departure lines from this field. However the 4-22 runway is a problem at LGA also, since it has a closed intersection with 13-31. Runway 4 should be closed regardless of this new field, as that would do a lot of good things for both JFK and LGA. My ideas for reworking LGA would make an entire other thread.

I'd also close at least one, if not both of the 4-22s at JFK and build two more 13-31s there (the RPA report on NYC airports talks about adding these), and get pretty much all of the major NYC airports operating on that axis. That would clean up many of the ATC issues around NYC. I don't know if not having the crosswind runways would be an issue, some of the largest airports in the country don't have crosswinders (ATL and LAX come to mind), so it can be done. I don't know if there's anything about NYC's particular wind patterns that prevents this. I wonder if the crosswinders are a legacy of older, less sophisticated, less powerful planes that couldn't handle the crosswind landings?
BBMW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2013, 05:37 AM   #89
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53376

New Delta Terminal 4 at JFK now open:

Old July 7th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #90
Vicvin86

Likes (Received): 4864

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9GM92jJKmo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ad-LqJ6NiSwe6a
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #91
Леонид
Espartano

Likes (Received): 728

love the A330 in Hawaian!

Airports visited:
SAP - TGU - RTB - LCE - SAL - SJO - MIA - IAH - MFE - ATL - EWR - ALC - MAD - BCN - SVQ - FCO - BVA - VLC - BRQ - BTS - DOH - DXB - MXP - JFK - MEX - LHR - IAD - GUA - GDL - TPA - MCI - IND - DFW - GJT - DEN - FLL

My 10 top planes:
A340-600 / B777-300 / A330-300 / B787 / B747 / A350 / A380 / B727 / B737 / EMB190
Леонид no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #92
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Леонид View Post
love the A330 in Hawaian!
Me too! The best looking airplane in their fleet.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #93
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17153

New York to spend $37.5 mln on LaGuardia Airport flood defenses

NEW YORK, Nov 17 (Reuters) - New York State plans to spend $37.5 million on flood barriers and improved drainage at LaGuardia Airport, Governor Andrew Cuomo said on Sunday, a little more than a year after flooding caused by Hurricane Sandy closed the facility for three days.

Work has already begun on the projects, which include building barriers around the airport's electrical systems, expanding the airfield's drainage network and improving the airport's back-up generators.

About $28 million of the project's cost is expected to be covered by federal funds set aside for disaster-mitigation efforts by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the areas airports, Cuomo's office said in a statement.

LaGuardia Airport sits on the north shore of Queens in New York City, abutting the East River's Flushing Bay.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #94
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Pan Am Worldport (terminal 3) demolition nearly complete:

image hosted on flickr

Pan Am Worldport at JFK, demolition by Mundera, on Flickr

Picture from Oct. 30. Most of the rubble has been removed.
Old November 25th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #95
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Above Newark Liberty - EWR

(at center of image)

image hosted on flickr

DL 1264 SLC-JFK // Pre-Dawn arrival in New York by Ricardobtg, on Flickr
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #96
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

The Worldport demolition is such a tragedy to the modernist architecture of the 1960s. It was a shame that it couldn't be preserved in some form or another.

Equario liked this post
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #97
TedToToe

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
The Worldport demolition is such a tragedy to the modernist architecture of the 1960s. It was a shame that it couldn't be preserved in some form or another.
In the US is there such a thing as 'listed buildings'? That is to say, buildings of historical significance which cannot be knocked down even if inconvenient to the owners. By historical, there is no reason why this does not include buildings from the 50's and 60's, for example.

In the later stages, JFK T3 was an awful terminal to depart from, but if preserved in Worldport guise, that's another story. Sad to see it go.
TedToToe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #98
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post
In the US is there such a thing as 'listed buildings'? That is to say, buildings of historical significance which cannot be knocked down even if inconvenient to the owners. By historical, there is no reason why this does not include buildings from the 50's and 60's, for example.

In the later stages, JFK T3 was an awful terminal to depart from, but if preserved in Worldport guise, that's another story. Sad to see it go.
They can be added to a national register.
However, in the context of an airport, I don't understand why that would ever happen...
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #99
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 792

Here is a youtube video of the Newark (EWR) Airport Monorail system. You can see some airport operations going on as well as some planes landing. Enjoy.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #100
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

La Guardia Central Terminal Replacement Plan Nearing Start

Quote:
Plans to actually build a replacement for La Guardia Airport's central terminal building are set to move forward this spring, when Port Authority will select a winning team of bidders (out of a pool of four hopefuls) to rebuild and operate the maligned, outdated facility. But insiders say it won't be so easy, with one interviewee dubbing the multi-billion dollar makeover "the most complicated construction project in the country" because of the complex financing, design, and construction work ahead. The end result will, everyone hopes, be a 35-gate hub that can handle 17.5 million passengers a year by 2030.

Tags
ewr, jfk, lga, new york city, northamerica airport hubs, us airports