search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #21
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by joga View Post
I trust you but cities are 90% composed by monuments, places of worship and reidential homes and buildings.... so there's little space for writers.

As I can see in my city writers (or pseudo-writers) do not respect your code of conduct, unfortunately.
Not really 90% but more of 70%. Anyway, when I was bombing back in the 90s, the stuff I would hit are abandoned buildings, factories, commercial establishments especially when they have their steel panels down, trucks, commuter and freight trains and bridges and of course open walls.

Sometimes when I want to do an illegal piece I would do it at a hidden spot where you can't be detected by cops. Especially in HK where you have alot of areas where you can paint in "piece"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #22
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 997

No.
Some can be beautiful but it doesn't change the fact that you are altering someone else's property without permission.
I really hate it when they do it to landmarks or older structures.
Nothing like insulting your own past and culture to make you cool!
Honestly, if you want to draw use pen and paper because whatever you put on the wall everyone else and the owners have to deal with.
It is a very selfish and low act.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #23
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

HK must be the coolest place to do graf and street art in Asia. Its urban environment and concrete jungles makes it suitable for it. Plus HK graf is diversed from Chinese to Filipino, Indian, Nepali to European expats.

illegal tags

simple installations

stencils

stickers and wheat paste

throw-ups

laser light tags

characters

hidden illegal pieces

legal productions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

isildur25 liked this post
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #24
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
No.
Some can be beautiful but it doesn't change the fact that you are altering someone else's property without permission.
I really hate it when they do it to landmarks or older structures.
Nothing like insulting your own past and culture to make you cool!
Honestly, if you want to draw use pen and paper because whatever you put on the wall everyone else and the owners have to deal with.
It is a very selfish and low act.
Yeah but some of the nicest murals are painted with permission. But its how society react. Even some legal murals get criticized because of the graffiti content.

Old July 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #25
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Yeah but some of the nicest murals are painted with permission. But its how society react. Even some legal murals get criticized because of the graffiti content.
I have no problem with legal murals.
Its illegal murals I dislike because they are offensive to the public.
Here I see people vandalizing gothic churches and old victorians to be 'cool' or 'punk.'
That is what I dislike.
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #26
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 14449

Quote:
I have no problem with legal murals.
Its illegal murals I dislike because they are offensive to the public.
Here I see people vandalizing gothic churches and old victorians to be 'cool' or 'punk.'
That is what I dislike.
Churches, too? That's sad.

Graffiti isn't so acceptable in Asia. Tolerance is far lower than in Europe or North America.

World Photo Gallery - |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #27
joga
Chronic neurotic

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:

simple installations

These are nice, very nice

A couple of funny examples in Milano. I do accepts this kind of graffiti.

Tutto questo avverrà te lo prometto. Tienti la tua paura. Io con sicura fede l'aspetto.
joga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #28
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

Graffiti isn't so acceptable in Asia. Tolerance is far lower than in Europe or North America.
That's the only thing, tolerance. The laws against graf in Asia aren't as strict as its western counterparts with the exception of say, Japan and Singapore. In HK for example, those getting caught only end up with a HK$1500 fine.

But graf is getting big in Asia even in mainland China. I just checked out a documentary of graf in Shanghai

Old July 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #29
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Singapore with its tough anti-graffiti laws has a strong graf scene happening

Old July 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 14449

Quote:
That's the only thing, tolerance. The laws against graf in Asia aren't as strict as its western counterparts with the exception of say, Japan and Singapore. In HK for example, those getting caught only end up with a HK$1500 fine.
You will more likely get arrested putting up graffiti in Asia than in North America or Europe. It's not as much on how the law is structured, but the fact that police will consider graffiti as a crime that can actually result in an arrest and charge, whereas in parts of North America and Europe, police might pass over that for more pressing crimes.

World Photo Gallery - |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #31
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 102

I can assure that the police in Denmark wouldn't just pass by when they see some graffiti artist in action. There is no tolerance against graffiti artists in Denmark. The police even go out and look at artists when they paint legal walls to see if it's an artist that is known for doing illegal stuff whereafter they arrest him or give him a fine.

If you like watching graffiti movies - here's a new danish one about the artist Thek: http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sitesearch=#
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #32
Hip-Hop Drunkie

Likes (Received): 0

Graffiti is part of the Hip-Hop culture !!!! So I ain't got a problem with graffiti at al.

But when I hear stories bout people tagging graffiti on a Church or a Mosque then I just get sick and those people
should get punished!!!!
Hip-Hop Drunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #33
ØlandDK
Used User

As an example I find stories like this very sad
Quote:
Hans Christian Andersen tomb vandalised

THE gravestone of Denmark's famed storyteller Hans Christian Andersen has been vandalised at a cemetery in Copenhagen.

A number of tombs, including that of the author who penned stories including The Little Mermaid, were covered in messages referring to a home for young people razed in March last year, said police spokesman Flemming Steen Munch.

The city of Copenhagen recently cleaned graffiti off the wall surrounding the cemetery and, according to Mr Munch, the vandalism that took place overnight was in response to this.

"If you take our wall, we'll take your tombs," vandals wrote on a number of gravestones.

The forced evacuation and demolition of the Ungdomshuset home - which for 25 years had been a refuge for youths from marginal backgrounds - sparked violent protests at the time.

It was seen as being one of the bastions of "underground" culture in Europe and its residents were moved to a new home.

The cemetery in Copenhagen is also the resting place of one of the greatest physicists of the 20th century, Niels Bohr, whose tomb was vandalised in the incident.

Bohr (1885-1962) won the Nobel prize for physics in 1922 for his work on the structure of atoms.

Andersen's tombstone is made of porous sandstone, making it especially difficult to remove all traces of the graffiti, the Danish Ritzau agency reported.

The author, who died in 1875, has reached generations of children around the world with his stories including The Little Match Girl, The Ugly Duckling and The Princess and the Pea.

A statue of Andersen's Little Mermaid character perched on a rock overlooking the Danish capital's port is frequently the target of vandalism.

In the past 40 years, the national symbol has been decapitated twice, had her right arm cut off and been entirely covered in paint on several occasions.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...005961,00.html
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #34
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

North America and Europe should have zero tolerance for it.
I wouldn't mind throwing people in jail for a night for doing it.
In my hometown there is a bridge from 1860 that kids get a kick out of busting up and vandalizing,
Even spray painting the wooden paving blocks.
Its really a crime against the public.
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #35
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip-Hop Drunkie View Post
Graffiti is part of the Hip-Hop culture !!!! So I ain't got a problem with graffiti at al.

But when I hear stories bout people tagging graffiti on a Church or a Mosque then I just get sick and those people
should get punished!!!!
I'm not against a pop-culture.
I am a teen myself.
I'm am against thinking you have to some how say 'f you' society when in reality you aren't saying 'f u' society, your saying 'f u' people and most of the time the people that have to deal with it are very poor.
If it's 'cool' to do graffiti then maybe people have some deeper issues.
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #36
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØlandDK View Post

As an example I find stories like this very sad
Kids think they are cool.
They don't realize they have become the scum of the earth.
They arent making any point other than that they are more disposable than a sack of animal droppings. It is one thing to spray paint a building but it is another to spray paint a tomb or final resting place.
Yet again, in my hometown there are two cemeteries, both nearing their 200th birthday and the oldest sections of the cemeteries have been destroyed.
Kids knock down the stones and write on them with markers.
Its sick.
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #37
channel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

overall it is art, the person or group of people doing graffitti has artistic skills that should not be denied. However when valdalism and risks are taken in the name of art then it is really bad. i have seen on TV where graffiti artists took great risk on railway (electric) overheads for nothing, if something happened it would not have been worth it. some graffiti are eyesore and those should be white washed over
channel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #38
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 383

Oh yeah, graffiti is an art. I say that as a fan of hip-hop, but even If I weren't, I would still appreciate the artisitc aspect of it. I don't see how one couldn't appreciate stuff like this (all pics taken by me, in San Francisco's Mission District. Some murals thrown in there too):

A couple in San Diego:

And here's one in Westerly, Rhode Island:

I hate it when thing like this are painted over. Granted, it may be on someone else's property, or public property, but what looks better? That graffiti art, or a blank wall? And even worse is when it's painted over, because it goes from art to usually a large mis-matched patch of paint, which is much more ugly than any good graffiti.

As for tags and quick throw-ups, some of them are pretty cool, but most others are seriously ugly, and people tend to put them in the wrong places, like people's houses and businesses. That said, there's still something I like about them, that gives a city a nice gritty, lived-in feel...but then again, if it were my house or business, I would be pretty pissed off, so call it a double standard, heh
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #39
ØlandDK
Used User

Quote:
North America and Europe should have zero tolerance for it.
I wouldn't mind throwing people in jail for a night for doing it.
In my hometown there is a bridge from 1860 that kids get a kick out of busting up and vandalizing,
Even spray painting the wooden paving blocks.
Its really a crime against the public.
I'm pretty sure alot are thrown in jail for doing graffiti.
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #40
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
Oh yeah, graffiti is an art. I say that as a fan of hip-hop, but even If I weren't, I would still appreciate the artisitc aspect of it. I don't see how one couldn't appreciate stuff like this (all pics taken by me, in San Francisco's Mission District. Some murals thrown in there too):

A couple in San Diego:

And here's one in Westerly, Rhode Island:

I hate it when thing like this are painted over. Granted, it may be on someone else's property, or public property, but what looks better? That graffiti art, or a blank wall? And even worse is when it's painted over, because it goes from art to usually a large mis-matched patch of paint, which is much more ugly than any good graffiti.

As for tags and quick throw-ups, some of them are pretty cool, but most others are seriously ugly, and people tend to put them in the wrong places, like people's houses and businesses. That said, there's still something I like about them, that gives a city a nice gritty, lived-in feel...but then again, if it were my house or business, I would be pretty pissed off, so call it a double standard, heh
If someone asks for people to do graffiti on their building that is their own business.
But rarely is it done legally and that is an act of crime. I live near a city where if something is vandalized it has to be cleaned up and painted over within a week or the owner's get a fine.
As stupid as that sounds it has actually stopped vandalism because people know their stuff is just going to get erased.
Some are cool, but it doesn't change the fact that it is vandalism and should be stopped.
Why don't they have programs for people to paint stuff on blank concrete walls?
Believe it or not, to the general population a neighborhood of graffiti free walls and blank ally walls is more appealing than a neighborhood of graffiti on every flat surface.

Tags
graffiti