search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #41
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1243

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØlandDK View Post
I'm pretty sure alot are thrown in jail for doing graffiti.
Not here.
People just get warned and the cops don't even chase them.
Kids just spray whatever, it doesn't matter if its an 1875 mansion or cemetery.
They don't care.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #42
Galls

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
If someone asks for people to do graffiti on their building that is their own business.
But rarely is it done legally and that is an act of crime. I live near a city where if something is vandalized it has to be cleaned up and painted over within a week or the owner's get a fine.
As stupid as that sounds it has actually stopped vandalism because people know their stuff is just going to get erased.
Some are cool, but it doesn't change the fact that it is vandalism and should be stopped.
Why don't they have programs for people to paint stuff on blank concrete walls?
Believe it or not, to the general population a neighborhood of graffiti free walls and blank ally walls is more appealing than a neighborhood of graffiti on every flat surface.
In NYC, as you are the victim of a crime, the city will pay for the graffiti to be cleaned. As for when I have caught people spray painting my property, despite the urge to shoot them, they are now serving a year in Jail. I love my security cameras.
Galls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #43
Jardoga

Likes (Received): 4

graffitii can be an art. Melbourne has alot of "tag" graffitii, but graffitii artists can get permision from the council to do some impresive graffiti artwork on blank walls. This shot is in an alleyway in Melbourne.

image hosted on flickr
Jardoga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #44
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galls View Post
In NYC, as you are the victim of a crime, the city will pay for the graffiti to be cleaned. As for when I have caught people spray painting my property, despite the urge to shoot them, they are now serving a year in Jail. I love my security cameras.
Indiana state law is different or at least the town officers don't enforce them.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #45
j0nas

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galls View Post
Who should be locked up, you say? :P
j0nas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #46
Galls

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nas View Post
Who should be locked up, you say? :P
I am allowed to carry in NYC and I am not a cop, but instead the sub human scum are in jail. My building has not had additional graffiti on it since, remember getting people thrown in jail over graffiti does take effort.

So treating the rats like rats, well it works.
Galls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #47
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2403

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
Oh yeah, graffiti is an art. I say that as a fan of hip-hop, but even If I weren't, I would still appreciate the artisitc aspect of it. I don't see how one couldn't appreciate stuff like this (all pics taken by me, in San Francisco's Mission District. Some murals thrown in there too):
SF's graf scene is one of the most interesting in the US other than NY or LA. There was even at one point a rival clash with SF and LA writers since alot of LA writers got up in SF and hit spots that SF writers don't normally hit.

Anyway, I saw a documentary on SF graf called Piece by Piece

Here's d intro

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; July 14th, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #48
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 376

image hosted on flickr

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #49
joga
Chronic neurotic

Likes (Received): 238

Many people post graffiti from ugly places, walls in scaring outskirts..... Ok, graffiti there could be an art, funny, full of color and so on.

But tags, signatures and also pictures on building in in beautiful areas of cities shouldn't be done and allowed.

I agree with fines (thousand of euro) and perhaps one or two days in jail to avoid the second issue.

http://youtu.be/_R9eTtKpzjU

Tutto questo avverrà te lo prometto. Tienti la tua paura. Io con sicura fede l'aspetto.
joga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #50
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

edit
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #51
Northsider

Likes (Received): 118

To me, unless it's gang related, most graffiti is art. I love the colors, the placement, it's part of the urban fabric. It's exciting.
Northsider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #52
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3003

Completely agree
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #53
godmachine
hcmf

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joga View Post
Many people post graffiti from ugly places, walls in scaring outskirts..... Ok, graffiti there could be an art, funny, full of color and so on.

But tags, signatures and also pictures on building in in beautiful areas of cities shouldn't be done and allowed.

I agree with fines (thousand of euro) and perhaps one or two days in jail to avoid the second issue.
agree

Graffiti from Poland:

here you can find more: http://www.digart.pl/przegladaj/169/...i.html?s=o&k=m

Last edited by godmachine; July 16th, 2008 at 09:23 PM.
godmachine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #54
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Nothing's worse than the shape shiftings inherent in dynamic graffiti.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #55
zachus22
Proud Torontonian

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Akira- View Post
To me, unless it's gang related, most graffiti is art. I love the colors, the placement, it's part of the urban fabric. It's exciting.
Amen. As far as I'm concerned, beautiful graffiti like the murals in San Fran's Mission District is not what is causing the issue. It's the cheap, 14 second, "need to mark my turf" tagging that has given graffiti such a bad rep.

Graffiti is definitely one of the most unique art forms out there - unfortunately, it's "graffiti" because the medium happens to be public property.
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #56
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I would like to share one of my crazy experience on the semi-legal side of graf. I was in LA back in 2001 when a friend of mine wanted me to paint the facade of his martial arts studio. My friend's studio was located in the Marina Del Rey side of LA right on the border of Culver City.

There were times that cops would drive by and asked questions. I just be nice to them and show them my HK ID card. In fairness, they're nice in return and just drive off. Unknowingly, my friend was only renting his studio and the property owner saw graf on the side of her building, she was a bit disappointed. She said that the presence of a graffiti mural would bring down property values especially in an area like Marina Del Rey. Plus the presence of a graf mural, legal or not can attract other graffiti writers to paint within the area.

In the end, the mural wasn't finished and got buffed but I was able to take photos of the uncompleted mural.

Old July 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #57
ØlandDK
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I would like to share one of my crazy experience on the semi-legal side of graf. I was in LA back in 2001 when a friend of mine wanted me to paint the facade of his martial arts studio. My friend's studio was located in the Marina Del Rey side of LA right on the border of Culver City.

There were times that cops would drive by and asked questions. I just be nice to them and show them my HK ID card. In fairness, they're nice in return and just drive off. Unknowingly, my friend was only renting his studio and the property owner saw graf on the side of her building, she was a bit disappointed. She said that the presence of a graffiti mural would bring down property values especially in an area like Marina Del Rey. Plus the presence of a graf mural, legal or not can attract other graffiti writers to paint within the area.
In the end, the mural wasn't finished and got buffed but I was able to take photos of the uncompleted mural.

That's the reason why there almost no legal walls left in Copenhagen - or that atleast what the local politians say.
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #58
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØlandDK View Post
That's the reason why there almost no legal walls left in Copenhagen - or that atleast what the local politians say.
But I'm sure that there are local yards or hall of fames in your city or places with high concentration of graffiti.

In HK for example, there are a few yards and hall of fames where even illegal, graf writers can still paint and not worry too much with police activity. But still you have to watch your back though.

Old July 19th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #59
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 201

Hell yes graffiti is art.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...light=graffiti
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #60
ØlandDK
Used User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
But I'm sure that there are local yards or hall of fames in your city or places with high concentration of graffiti.

In HK for example, there are a few yards and hall of fames where even illegal, graf writers can still paint and not worry too much with police activity. But still you have to watch your back though.
I only know of one fully legal wall and it's painted over almost every day, so your piece will not be visible very long. Then there is a semi-legal wall which is the hall of fame in Copenhagen and where you see the best pieces.
But in general there's alot of graffiti in all of the city - especially in the Nørrebro district.

Tags
graffiti