search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #61
diegodbs

Likes (Received): 20

Graffiti, crappiti.
diegodbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #62
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

Nowadays stencil is more famous than grafitti around here... but grafitti was always the part of urban life. Some of them are real art and add different view and soul to the city but graffiti lookin ugly writings are crime especially if they are on a historical buiding.
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #63
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

Who's to decide what is ugly and what is not? The police?
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM   #64
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

New graffiti thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=667250
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM   #65
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

To all of you who've done so here, thanks for sharing those grafitti!...they're all so differently fascinating...I love 'em.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:50 AM   #66
señor cara de papa

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips View Post
Who defines what is art and what isn't?
i was going to writte exactly the same
señor cara de papa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:14 AM   #67
Major Deegan

Graffiti can be both an art form and a pure nuisance. As demonstrated in this discussion people may think one or the other way, depending on their background, education, or past experiences. But it cannot be argued with that graffiti is a form of expression.

Urban art when performed to the purest extent can only be called masterpieces. Unlike more traditional mediums, it is a rare art form that allows you to leap out of the modern norm and express the beyond. In this sense graffiti stands very close to its contemporaries, namely the modern dance, multimedia art, and kinetic sculpture.

Graffiti is a chaotic perfection, reactionary to constraints put by our urban surroundings. When graffiti is done right it can enliven most orginary walls. It can create a story where there is none. It can alter our very surroundings. Sometimes people get a lot of joy from observing such transformation. And sometimes they oppose it.

Some art can be used negatively. Portraits of tyrants have been painted as gods. Does this make the art less poetic and masterful? I am not condoning vandalism but, keep in mind this art was born from the streets.

The walls are canvases for expression, territory, life and death. Some times when no one is being listened to graffiti artists lash out. They force their art upon the world. They risk getting caught, they risk getting in trouble. If art is passion then graffiti fits the description.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM   #68
MDguy

I like Graffiti - it adds character a lot

especially when the canvas is bland like this, is when i like it
image hosted on flickr

I don't like it when it's offensive
image hosted on flickr
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM   #69
dhuwman
BANGED

Likes (Received): 5

Aren't graffiti a form of spray painting? I always call them by either: graffiti artists or gangs. The first ones I love, the second ones, I wouldn't care if they disappear
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on."

-Noam Chomsky-
dhuwman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:25 AM   #70
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØlandDK View Post
I only know of one fully legal wall and it's painted over almost every day, so your piece will not be visible very long. Then there is a semi-legal wall which is the hall of fame in Copenhagen and where you see the best pieces.
But in general there's alot of graffiti in all of the city - especially in the Nørrebro district.
To some, they just paint and take a photo of it, post it on the graffiti websites on the internet and that's it. They don't care if their pieces gets painted over, etc as long as they have a photo.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM   #71
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Check out some Busan graffiti South Korea has some of the best graf productions in Asia.

Old July 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM   #72
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 909

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:06 PM   #73
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØlandDK View Post

Who's to decide what is ugly and what is not? The police?
in my country noone decide.. thats why everywhere full of them. But I think these are ugly examples and I believe every city have zillions of them, no art, no creativity, just dirtiness..

Btw I like grafiti and real artists, i am not against it.
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM   #74
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

It is art definitely. I do not care for destructive grafitti on buildings. I like it on urban void areas such as bridge tressles and highway dividers.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #75
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Graffiti is great, I love it and it certainly adds character and forces people to think. However, I'm only a real fan when it says something, be it political or cultural, or is aesthetically pleasing. I can't stand people that just quickly write their name and then run off. It's just scribbling on walls really, rather than creating a piece of art. Too many people associate it with 'criminal behavior' rather than the youth expressing themselves and commenting on modern life.

It adds so much character to cities, it's sad that certain countries take such a strong stance on it (such as Singapore) and thereby miss out on adding some interesting aspects to their urban centres.
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #76
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Graffiti is great, I love it and it certainly adds character and forces people to think. However, I'm only a real fan when it says something, be it political or cultural, or is aesthetically pleasing. I can't stand people that just quickly write their name and then run off. It's just scribbling on walls really, rather than creating a piece of art. Too many people associate it with 'criminal behavior' rather than the youth expressing themselves and commenting on modern life.

It adds so much character to cities, it's sad that certain countries take such a strong stance on it (such as Singapore) and thereby miss out on adding some interesting aspects to their urban centres.
Singapore only opposes illegal graffiti. But legal murals and productions are highly respectable in SG. In fact the city's youth council supports some of the city's prominent writers, street artists and crews such as Scope-1 or The Killer Gerbil

Some Lion City flava for ya

Last edited by Manila-X; July 24th, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #77
CollsGuy
SkvCrew

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galls View Post
In NYC, as you are the victim of a crime, the city will pay for the graffiti to be cleaned. As for when I have caught people spray painting my property, despite the urge to shoot them, they are now serving a year in Jail. I love my security cameras.
Dont worry you'll get yours. We know who u are
CollsGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #78
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Heaven forbid they make your house look interesting to passers by.
Monotony is the way of the future.

Some Melbourne Laneway art for you all.
Notice the light boxes suspended on the wall. Different images are put in them, with lights behind. It's an interesting way of displaying alternative art in the scariest of laneways.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The laneways add so much character to Melbourne, they define it. There's thousands of them, with hidden bars and cafes and restaurants, all covered it thought provoking art. How could you not like that?

image hosted on flickr
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #79
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGaqLT-gO4

http://www.zueri-graffiti.ch/16_harald_naeg.htm i dont consider this art, but he became quiete a famous artist here in switzerland

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/552148056ipSTYo i much more prefer bunksy, but i have to agree that 90% of graffitis are bad
Old July 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #80
Major Deegan

Morality?

image hosted on flickr

Here's another, darker side of graffiti . This tagger broke one of the key rules of tagging. You do not tag public buildings having social use, or any comparable building. This kind of activity makes them all look bad. Most cities have places where this kind of art can be showcased without breaking the law - there is a reason for that, and I would strongly recommend any would-be's to look for these locations.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
graffiti