search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions

General Developments and Discussions » Bridges | Cycling | Maritime

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #3721
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkt View Post
From my friend's facebook timeline:

Sweden in California, USA
That 2002 Toyota Avensis is not in traffic, and it hasnt been inspected since 2009.

I presume that many of these foreigin registered cars in the USA are not legal to drive.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #3722
mkt
Awesome.

Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
That 2002 Toyota Avensis is not in traffic, and it hasnt been inspected since 2009.

I presume that many of these foreigin registered cars in the USA are not legal to drive.
The California mentality is that it's only illegal it you get caught.

Plus, it's not like the US and Sweden share driver and vehicle records.

Having said that, they are legal to drive if their registrations are valid, and are only in the US for a year - but again, the validity is interesting, as I stated above, "it's not like the US share driver and vehicle records".
mkt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #3723
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilmeño89 View Post
Do the license plates in Indonesia have an expiration date? And what happens after a plate has expired (and you paid your tax)? Do you get a new plate or a new expiration date?
Indonesian license plate and STNK (Surat Tanda Nomor Kendaraan/vehicle registration certificate) expire every 5 years, and prior to expiration date we should have re-register and renew both of our license plate and vehicle registration certificate. We will receive a new plate with the same registration, but with new expiry date.

FYI as the current format of Indonesian license plate was introduced in April 2011, by this month all vehicle in Indonesia should have the new license plate format

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A

Quilmeño89 liked this post

Last edited by Losbp; April 5th, 2016 at 06:17 PM.
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #3724
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Slovenian licence plate from Cejle, Slovenia Photo taken in Linköping, Sweden

I wonder why such a small country like Slovenia needs location prefixes. The stickers with old castles between the letters are quaint but this is not contributing to the clarity of the license plate.

Last edited by NordikNerd; April 6th, 2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old April 9th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #3725
Hatikvah1987

Likes (Received): 715

Quote:
Slovenian licence plate from Cejle, Slovenia Photo taken in Linköping, Sweden

I wonder why such a small country like Slovenia needs location prefixes. The stickers with old castles between the letters are quaint but this is not contributing to the clarity of the license plate.
All, ex Yugoslav countries after independents continued Yugoslav codes and type of registration plates. Today, even Montenegro (with only 620.000 inhabitants) have registrations with towns codes. Only Bosnia, and Kosovo today don't have towns code, because UN decided to banned it. But 1st Bosnian (all three types of registrations) had town codes.
Hatikvah1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:39 PM   #3726
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatikvah1987 View Post
All, ex Yugoslav countries after independents continued Yugoslav codes and type of registration plates. Today, even Montenegro (with only 620.000 inhabitants) have registrations with towns codes. Only Bosnia, and Kosovo today don't have towns code, because UN decided to banned it. But 1st Bosnian (all three types of registrations) had town codes.
It's interesting to know from what area the car comes from, but on the other hand you have to change license plate when you move to another city or if you buy a car outside your own area, which requires time and costs for the vehicle owners. In some countries they probably have these area code license plates in order to occupy the burocrats at the road administration office.
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #3727
kreden

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
It's interesting to know from what area the car comes from, but on the other hand you have to change license plate when you move to another city or if you buy a car outside your own area, which requires time and costs for the vehicle owners. In some countries they probably have these area code license plates in order to occupy the burocrats at the road administration office.
You don't need to change them if you move, at least in Slovenia you're not bound to the region of issue. You can also request any prefix anywhere in the country, the local prefix is just the default option they have in stock, whereas you need to order separately if you want another one.

Nowadays it's really just an issue of town identity, tradition and familiarity. The government wanted to switch to non-identifiable codes a decade or so ago but dropped the plans after complaints from the public. With the current system it really wouldn't make much of a difference.
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #3728
Hatikvah1987

Likes (Received): 715

Quote:
Well, in Croatia is regulated in way that, where is your official residence you have all official documents including registration plates from area from my official residence. When I change official residence in another address then I must to change whole documents in new official residemce (Identity card, Driving licence, tax card etc.) If I change official residence in area outside of my registration area then I must to change also then registration plates with new town code.

For example: I am living in town Kaštela near Split city in Croatia. My official registration plate's code is ST (Split). If I am moving (officially) to live in Split I don't need to change my registration plates on car. But if I am moving in Zagreb (ZG code) I must to change registration plates on car with ZG code.

Also you don't need to change all official documents if you have temporarily address. Then you all documents (except tax card for income taxes) are still on your official residence address, including registrations plates too.

For example: My official residence address is in town Kaštela, but beacuse of work I moved in Zagreb. I reported to Police temporarily address residence in Zagreb. I don't need to change any official document (identity card, driving licence etc.) except income tax card (what I am going to do in Tax office) including my cars registration places who will be still with ST code.

If you buy card for example in Zagreb, and I am living in Kaštela (that is around 350km away), then Police gave you temporarily registration plate (actually registration paper, which paste you on windshield glass, and last glass) which is valid for 5 or 7 days. Then I can transported car from Car saloon to my residence, and then go to Police station and do all bureaucracy to get registration plates.

It is a little bit complicated, but I hope so that you will understand.
Hatikvah1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #3729
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 157

A car from Malta in Zagreb

Hatikvah1987, Corvinus liked this post
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #3730
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

[ZSL] License plate from Sławno, Poland. All licenseplates from west Pommerania begin with the letter "Z" while the following letters "SL" means the city of Slawno.

I dont see why it's necessary to use a letter for the region infront of the letters of the city.

German licenceplates dont use any letters for their regions, if they did it would only be confusing. Let's say they used "S" for Sachsen. Dresden licenseplates would be SD instead of DD. Leipzig SL instead of L. It's much easier to understand from what city a german car is compared to the polish area code system.
Old April 11th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #3731
duydung
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Images hosting errors
duydung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #3732
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1606

From 2014. A London bus in Singapore. As you can see, the numbers are British. Apparently, this was a promotion campaign. AFAIK, this bus came back to London afterwards

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #3733
Maks33

Likes (Received): 838

Quote:
I dont see why it's necessary to use a letter for the region infront of the letters of the city.
This feature was loaned from 1956 Polish system, which LPs have two-literal coding by voivodeships and counties before 1975.. In that system, the first letter denoted a voivodeshop, the second one denoted a county.
Maks33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #3734
Quilmeño89
Pick up that can

Likes (Received): 13565

The first of all :

Maks33, Highway89, SRC_100 liked this post
Quilmeño89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #3735
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubart View Post
A car from Malta in Zagreb
Is that a fine stuck under the wiper?

Proudly present: Liechtenstein special-vehicle plate spotted in St. Gallen (CH).
Default background color of Liechtenstein plates is black. Like in Switzerland, special vehicle categories (farm vehicles, construction machinery etc.) obtain distinct background colors.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Quilmeño89, SRC_100 liked this post
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #3736
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Is that a fine stuck under the wiper?
It doesn't look like a fine. Probably some commercial flyer...
dubart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #3737
Quilmeño89
Pick up that can

License plates of Switzerland and Liechtenstein are two of my favorites.
Old April 16th, 2016, 06:16 AM   #3738
Quilmeño89
Pick up that can

A curiosity:

Chery QQ with letters 'QQ' in the plate (from Argentina):

Source

Maks33, SRC_100 liked this post
Old April 17th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #3739
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1162

From Monaco:

1. Taiwanese (I assume, given the flag sticker)
EDIT: British trade plate - don't guess from a flag

Pagani Huayra by Raphaël Belly, on Flickr

2. Kuwaiti sticker front plate

Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 Liberty Walk LB Performance by Raphaël Belly, on Flickr

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika

Quilmeño89, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by Corvinus; April 17th, 2016 at 09:32 PM.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #3740
Flavio1179

Likes (Received): 2

The 1st is actually a British trade plate
Flavio1179 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
license plates