daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Old June 2nd, 2007, 11:57 PM   #1
jtown,man
The world is yours

Likes (Received): 0

Moving to Crystal City...Need info!

Hey Everyone, Im moving to a Building on 23rd street in Crystal city.... I was wondering if anyone can give me some stats or and idea of how the surroundings in that area feel like. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #2
ajoutz
Bal-Wash Metro

Likes (Received): 0

Well let me the first to say welcome to DC! I live in Maryland so I can't help you that much on the comings and goings of you new neighborhood, but from what I know you live right near the Reagan National and fairly close to the Yellow and Blue Lines of the Metro. It's a really nice location. Good schools, good people, and you can get to downtown DC fairly easy. Other than that all I can say is welcome!

TERPS
ajoutz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Eerik

Likes (Received): 70

It’s not the best area, but not the worst either. The good thing about Crystal City is they have started to rethink the way buildings are built: more street level retail is being introduced. This can best be seen along Crystal Drive; it’s pretty much the paradigm of what they want for the area in the future.

A big plus is location: you’ll be very close to Washington DC. Plus, you’ll be practically living on top of a Metro station, which is your number one selling amenity. Might want to check this site out. More background about Crystal City can be found here.

On the west side of Crystal City (other side of the Jefferson Davis Highway/Route 1 corridor) along 23rd Street you’ll find some bars and restauruants along a small strip. Nothing fancy or exciting, just an option for quick beer and bar food.

Of course, all of Crystal City is interconnected by a quirky underground shopping mall network. So if it’s rainy or cold outside (or sunny and hot) you can move about a series of concourses along eleven city blocks, to get food from the market, get to the Metro, etc.

The neighborhood is fairly safe and clean. If anything, it’s too quiet (nature of living among office buildings). There are many hotels in Crystal City, but I rarely see tourists on the streets. On the southern edge of Crystal City, a huge apartment and condo development is being constructed, and along with new residential being introduced in “old” Crystal City, more people are on the way.
Eerik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM   #4
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 63

You are near to everything!

It's good you actually chooses Crystal City. The place is nice but many of the buildings are fairly old. You are near everything even the airport!

* Reagan National Airport is just 400 - 600 meters away!
* Pentagon Mall is just nearby. Maybe 100 meters depends upon your location.
* Of course, you are near to Pentagon too and the Arlington National Cemetery
* Potomac River is just the north side of you which is around 100 - 400 meters away
* I guess you know what's next after the Potomac River, Downtown DC!
* If you don't like to go outside to shop or hang-out especially on the cold winter, then you can take advantage of the Underground Shops complete with Grocery Stores, Shops, Fastfood Chains, banks and more.
* Crystal City also has several great restaurants in DC Area.
* If you don't have a car or too lazy to drive, then take advantage of DC Metro, one of the best metro system in US. (Some say the best metro system in the world).
* Its safe and quiet and there are very few traffic even on rush hour. You will notice that many of the residents wears Military Uniform due to Pentagon nearby.

OK here is the problem, Crystal City is design for residents who don't have cars (That's why there are no traffic ) So parking is expensive but not that expensive as in Downtown DC. Its hard to park especially at night. I used to live there and I found out that some of the residents (especially old people) just leave their cars to rot (they only use the vehicle only few times a year). Everything is metro rail -- from Pentagon Mall to the airport. Even the Pentagon and National Cemetery.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:35 AM   #5
yamota
Chairman of the Bored

Likes (Received): 3

Don't forget that Old Town Alexandria is also a hop, skip and jump away, but the other way, south, away from DC. Many nice restaurants and bars there as well, and even further south on rt.1 is Mount Vernon, the ancestral home of our first President, George Washington.
yamota no está en línea   Reply With Quote