SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Tour on ASEAN ~featuring MANILA~

Tags
manila pinoy
13K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  timo9 
#1 ·

MANILA - the city of people, city of friendship, city of life. A city which got less attention by fellow Malaysians*. When talk about Philippines, we only know Arroyo, Imelda Marcos, Fidel Ramos, Joseph Estrada, People's Power ...or Mount Pinatobu perhaps? (hah, truly is we love talking about politics...:)). Other than that, we might know about its political crisis, economic crisis, food crisis or any other 'crisis' there.

Yet we forgot the city of Manila where the heart pumped from Makati through its vein of EDSA (Epifanio de los Santos Avenue) and its artery of Roxas Boulevard has many things to offer.

Oh...how i miss its friendship and hospitality....:wave:

*sorry, i give my comment from the eyes of a Malaysian.

See less See more
#2 ·

heh, i have no ideas where this car is came from. i forgot to ask my friend there....:D
-------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, it is not a carving. It's just a '3D' paintings. the details look so majestic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A city of 14 millions inhabitants, no wonder you will see numbers of wedding ceremonies during weekends. and for most prominent churches, only rich families can afford ceremony in those granduer spainiard legacies.

Dated back in 1565, Miguel López de Legazpi established first European settlement in the Philippines, which indirectly brought the Christianity to the locals Filipinos. Welcome to the Philippines, the only Christian nation (yeah, they are a devout Catholic nation) in South East Asia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

so, this is the special thing a bout the church. It's an UNESCO World Heritage Site.

#8 ·
A slight correction on that one....

The Philippines is a predominantly Christian nation in Asia/Southeast Asia. It used to be the only one, but with East Timor gaining independence, that isn't the case now.

#6 ·

the thing is, the Intramuros was heavily damaged during the World War 2, and only some small part of it was survived. even this wall looks like it was a rebuilt. as we can see the different use of blocks where the far left is probably the original one.

-----------------------------------------------------

the best example of [before] and [after] picture...:)

so, this is the [before] building where the [after] one is totally different.

----------------------------------------------------

there's a small 'colony' of slum inside the intramuros. interesting is, while some countries like Indonesia where the parent of slums just let their kids being 'stray', in manila the family value/family institution is always their first.

they are having some bbq party huh...

#10 ·

Interesting story about Rizal that i can conclude. He was potrayed as the National Hero of Philippines by the American. One of the purpose was to give a bad image to the Spaniard, while in the same time hailing American as a savior. that's why we can see in Philippines there is a war memorial tribute to General Douglas MacArthur. they even have a sculptur of him during his landing in Manila...

and interesting if we see the Rizal Monument which looks similar to those Abraham Lincoln or the Taiwan's Chiang Kai-shek Memorial, which have guards and statue. this is so typical American-ish.

#12 ·

inside the icon of the Philippines, Jeepney. Wooden chair with decent cushion facing each other. This one even have stereo system inside....

-------------------------------------------

well....most of the time the journey was very bumpy and shaking...

-------------------------------------------------------

don't worry....the ride is very very affordable...

#17 ·

still, inside Intramuros. a happy faces of a small vendors selling soft drinks and junk foods...i regret bcoz i didn't help supporting that small business....i should've done that...:sleepy:
-------------------------------------------------------------

poor horse....nope, i didn't ride it too. it's expensive i guess....
----------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the smiles....:hi: they are not filipinos, aren't they?

#21 ·

----------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the smiles....:hi: they are not filipinos, aren't they?
They are Filipinos Oshkosh...Having a fieldtrip at Intramuros....Looks like from one of the schools in Manila. :D

#19 ·
I so love this thread!

You make ordinary subjects look extra-ordinary with your quality shots @oshkosh :applause:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.