search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Teesside

Teesside For Middlesbrough, Stockton, N Yorks

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #781
Handsome C
MC 2011

Likes (Received): 965

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeam89 View Post
Why because it’s being renamed the pinnacle?.. what a silly statement!.
It's stupid. Period.

It'll always be known as the CNE, just like the Crown corner will always be known as the Crown, just like every single person who wants to get off a bus at Cherryfield refers to it as Kirby College, even though it's been a housing estate for... I don't know, a decade?

They've stripped a local landmark of its name in favour of a corny and corporate name, which no-one will ever use.

I know I won't be the only one who'll go to that 'new restaurant at the CNE'...

alsand01 liked this post
Handsome C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #782
alsand01

Likes (Received): 343

There's something really satisfying about seeing a college base itself around a quadrangle. What a great use of these buildings. It would be great to see more of these innovative uses for buildings we didn't even realize can play a big or small role in our collective quality of life and future.

It's a really good photograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auberon View Post
Postcards from the Park, bird's eye perspective of the completed restoration:

Handsome C, Auberon liked this post
alsand01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #783
alsand01

I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten about Normanby Hall. I've not thought about it for years.

It's not clear what the future plans are indicated here, but I hope we learn more soon. It's a beautiful building.

--
The hidden Middlesbrough mansion in pictures - and its proud history

Charles Amer once owned the listed property :: Plans afoot to redevelop the site
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/pr...proud-13901485

Handsome C, Auberon liked this post
Old November 19th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #784
Auberon
UTB

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome C View Post
A bit of an update on the former Lloyds Bank on the Albert-Grange junction:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...loyds-12639969

The plans seem rather nice. It's a hideous brute of a building, after all...
The contractor for this project has started on site - http://www.nivenarchitects.co.uk/new...-collaboration

Handsome C, alsand01, lms liked this post

Last edited by Auberon; November 19th, 2017 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Changed image link.
Auberon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 01:08 AM   #785
Handsome C
MC 2011

'The Overdraft'.

I sincerely long for the day an indie pub opens here named just that...

alsand01, Auberon, lms liked this post
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #786
alsand01

It's great to see a project moving forward/ getting done. Great place for student accommodation. I think it's a shame they couldn't have gone up another level - I don't think it would have affected the streetscape that much. It should help the cafes and bars along Grange Road and round about.
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #787
alsand01

Albert Road

This looks like the answer:
---
Bars, restaurants and independent shops planned for stretch of historic buildings on Albert Road

Property developers Jomast are breathing new life into the forgotten part of town :: Middlesbrough Council has welcomed the move
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...anned-13918582

---

This looks potentially big. Does anyone have more details? The doubt I have is whether we can keep expanding bars and retail, etc - but I really hope we can. It would seem to need more people living in the centre to keep all of this expansion growing, although of course new jobs and a retail offer that gets people to travel to Middlesbrough could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinboro View Post
Does anyone actually know what the situation is here with Albert Road? I cant say I've seen a planning application or any indication on the scope of works.

Auberon, lms liked this post
Old November 19th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #788
Handsome C
MC 2011

It's the culmination of the long-running saga of that stretch.

Jomast have long been committed to being at the forefront of the regeneration of Middlesbrough and now claim an impressive portfolio of buildings across the city, including several historic properties that they've restored on Albert Road.

As a result of their fantastic conservation work, the council sanctioned the sale of the 'four old buildings' on Albert Road, Prudential House next door also owned by Jomast.

However, Jomast quickly concluded the buildings were beyond repair and so set to work a plan to build a huge concrete eyesore in place of the five buildings. It went to planning and the council seemed to be heading toward sanctioning the demolition and new build.

However, after much petitioning from the public and several very heated council meeting arguments, the council relented and told Jomast restoration and conservation was the only option.

So Jomast set to work with their crack team of conservationists to find a way to restore the facades and, essentially, gut the interiors. They would then prop up the facades with new build steel structures behind with a modern and clean layout, all of which was submitted to the council in a new planning application, which was approved.

However, years and years passed and nothing happened. Now, however, the project is kicking in to gear, probably because Prudential House is now (recently) completely empty and they want to do all five at once. Prudential went through a separate planning application years and years ago.

So what's happening here? The culmination of a very long fight to save four old buildings and one crappy modern one, for new uses as offices, apartments and indie businesses.

The future is looking bright...

alsand01, Auberon, lms liked this post
Old November 20th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #789
lms

Likes (Received): 109

Development in Middlesbrough continues apace ,and looks like no sign of it slowing down ,the student apartments and hotels that have been built and are being proposed are bringing life and people back into the centre where there has been none for years.The new office developments will bring more people into the centre in the daytime who will use the new pubs and eateries,and create demand for more ,it's a cycle that will hopefully keep expanding.
Over the last few years there was the odd big development here and there ,but now it seems to be snowballing with future developments already being planned ahead,such as Centre Square ,and redevelopment of bus station area etc ,along with developments already happening ,Albert Road ,Premier Inn ,etc .
Exciting times ahead for next year,long may it continue

Handsome C, alsand01, Auberon liked this post
lms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #790
Auberon
UTB

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsand01 View Post
Bars, restaurants and independent shops planned for stretch of historic buildings on Albert Road

Property developers Jomast are breathing new life into the forgotten part of town :: Middlesbrough Council has welcomed the move
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...anned-13918582
Good to know this one is finally, definitely, happening. The contactor working on this stretch of Albert Road was responsible for the regeneration of Bedford Street.

15 Albert Road is one of my favourite buildings in town, it wouldn't look out of place in Gotham City.

lms, alsand01, Handsome C liked this post
Auberon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 12:48 PM   #791
Handsome C
MC 2011

My favourite is the Art Deco one on the far left. It's our last Art Deco building and it hasn't looked its best in quite a while. It's a precious building and I'm glad to see they'll be re-rendering and repairing it, restoring the original metal windows and giving it a new shop front.

It's remarkable to think they were going to pull these buildings down and replace them with this:

Hideous, hideous monstrosity...

15 Albert Road is set to have its masonry repaired by experts and a new shop front to boot. One of the others, the brick Victorian one, with original windows, will see them repaired and replaced like-for-like with the original if needed, plus a new shop front. The one with the red render will have a new lick of paint, windows restored and a new slate roof. The existing shop front will be retained but a new door opening will be punched in to gain access from the front to the upper floors. It's the one I'm most concerned about because that shop front is gorgeous and might end up looking a bit lop-sided.

It's said in the heritage assessment that, as a part of the conservation zone, the new shop fronts must be 'in-keeping' with the architectural style of their 'host' buildings. The only demolition will be the newer garages at the back to provide car parking.

Elsewhere, the back of the buildings will be restored as much as possible, with brick to match wherever needed. They'll also be using reclaimed bricks. And we know how good Jomast is at that. They're behind the Gresham redevelopment, using reclaimed bricks, and the Bedford Street development, which received much praise for the brick match in the new bay windows.

Jomast have said they'll do their best to match the original materials where possible, which is nice.

Amendments to the plans came through last November (2016). From what I can fathom, the changes effect the design of the shop fronts, mainly. The Art Deco building's shop front is a bit more symmetrical. The building next door sees the biggest amendment, with an utterly, utterly stunning new shop front. In the original plans, it was very modern, whereas the new looks rather traditional. Very Victorian. I'm quite blown away, actually. The building next to that hasn't changed too much but Jomast have said that they're going to take the render off to have a look at the bricks. If they're in good nick, they might expose them, like they did with the pub in Middlehaven. That could be exciting. I don't think the one next to that is any different.

I don't know if the link will work, but if it does, here are the latest plans:
https://publicaccess.middlesbrough.g...ONS-108734.pdf

All in all, one exciting development.

alsand01, Auberon liked this post
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #792
alsand01

There's an article here on the renovation of Commerce House - does anyone have more details?
--
Historic Middlesbrough building transformed into 'total luxury' office space

Its bright green copper dome is seen by thousands a day from the A66. Now Commerce House is business hub with space for hire and coffee shop plans
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...total-13935409
---
A coffee shop there would go well I think if it's obvious to people passing and not just for the offices - there's a lot of footfall between the centre and the college and more office space opening up.
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #793
Jamescamb95

Likes (Received): 1

St Hilda's Boro's "Old Town"?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. I have been reading some of the threads on here for the past few weeks, particularly those with memories and photos of St Hilda's and the old market square. I love and hate photos in equal measure as some of the history which has been lost is insane but it is also nice to see that the town did once have pride and a soul.

Anyway, I just want to ask the opinions of users on here on the potential for "rebuilding" the old market square and surrounding areas?

I use quotes for this as i understand that 100% reconstruction is an impossible dream but what about the major buildings? The old customs house and the old town hall still survive and there is plenty of photographic evidence of the appearance of the other significant buildings i.e. centenary chapel, St Hilda's church etc.

Other cities have rebuilt their landmarks and many European cities have an "old town" which is full of tourists, cafes, bars, restaurants and museums so why cant we?

I feel it would add the perfect balance between new and old in the town. The square should be rebuilt with as much accuracy as possible including re establishing the road structure North, East, South, West etc. And the other parts can be filled in with the inspiration from other historic parts of the town. I feel a lot of the buildings in the old part of the town could easily be recreated by facade and the interiors re-purposed.

Opinions are welcome as I feel that something should be done to try and act on this before the area is lost to more Lego buildings.

alsand01 liked this post
Jamescamb95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #794
alsand01

Welcome Jamescamb - personally I'd love to see it. I've walked across the area a few times in recent months. I love the new park, but the area around the Old Town Hall is crying out for something special. I keep thinking about what it could be. HC's old photographs hold the key....

I'd thought about mentioning a Prince Charles Northern Poundbury type of approach but don't know. What's your hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamescamb95 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. I have been reading some of the threads on here for the past few weeks, particularly those with memories and photos of St Hilda's and the old market square. I love and hate photos in equal measure as some of the history which has been lost is insane but it is also nice to see that the town did once have pride and a soul.

Anyway, I just want to ask the opinions of users on here on the potential for "rebuilding" the old market square and surrounding areas?

I use quotes for this as i understand that 100% reconstruction is an impossible dream but what about the major buildings? The old customs house and the old town hall still survive and there is plenty of photographic evidence of the appearance of the other significant buildings i.e. centenary chapel, St Hilda's church etc.

Other cities have rebuilt their landmarks and many European cities have an "old town" which is full of tourists, cafes, bars, restaurants and museums so why cant we?

I feel it would add the perfect balance between new and old in the town. The square should be rebuilt with as much accuracy as possible including re establishing the road structure North, East, South, West etc. And the other parts can be filled in with the inspiration from other historic parts of the town. I feel a lot of the buildings in the old part of the town could easily be recreated by facade and the interiors re-purposed.

Opinions are welcome as I feel that something should be done to try and act on this before the area is lost to more Lego buildings.