193K views 964 replies 46 participants last post by  DBadger 
#1 ·
... where we left off....

#2 ·
Why dont we just use the official black country thread for wolverhampton? lol

anyway....

Wolverhampton University sets out its science centre vision
Thursday 21st July 2011, 11:30AM BST.
A multi-million pound science centre complete with its own Thinktank-style museum will be created by Wolverhampton University, under plans revealed today.

The ground floor of the centre would be open to the public and feature hands-on science and technology displays similar to Birmingham’s interactive Thinktank science museum.

The rest of the building would replace the university’s existing School of Applied Sciences and be devoted to both education and research with special emphasis on its famous Brain Tumour UK Neuro-Oncology Research Centre.

Three possible sites – all between the existing north and south city centre campuses of the University – are being looked at with a final decision on the exact location for the project expected by November.

Officials said they hoped the science centre would be located near to the city’s Central Library and be built within five years. It could cost more than £10m.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...-out-its-science-centre-vision/#ixzz1SlNyuXSG

#4 ·
#9 ·
I visited the bus station yesterday, and the impression I got was that people really weren't happy.

Seating does seem to be a real problem; I didn't have time to have a proper look around, but it seemed that there were just a couple of seats per bus stand (one of the big problems with the old station).

What people really seemed angry about though was the fact that a lot of buses won't actually use the station. There were a lot of people coming in, realising that they'd have to walk across the city centre to get their bus, and really laying in to the Centro reps.

#10 · (Edited)
The bus depot certainly looks posh, but it sounds from the above few posts that it has a fair few issues already! I hope the issues are resolved because it certainly makes that part of the city look nicer.

On an unrelated note:

Has anyone noticed how this has sprung up recently:

http://www.investstaffordshire.co.uk/uploads/asset_image/2_348.jpg

http://www.i54online.com/i54.html

It's coming along really nicely. Can't find any construction photos in my brief search, but I pass it most days and it looks as if the shell of the building is not far from complete. It will be interesting to see what i54 can do for Wolverhampton going forwards now, as the project seems to have picked up a lot of pace again since Moog signed up. With JLR lining up their options with a view to building their new engine plant on the site, this can only be good news for Wolvo, can't it?!

#14 ·
I saw the new bus staion a couple of weeks ago .I was expecting something along the lines of the impressive Wednesbury and West Bromwich bus stations.However , this new station is even better; very light and airy .I think the new bridge that connects it to the train staion is a fantastic addition too .Now let's see if Wolverhampton can get funds to revamp the the railway staion .

#20 ·
From egi.

Wolves unveils £50m plans for training campus
Nick Whitten 12/10/2011 10:35

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club has submitted plans for a £50m redevelopment of its training campus.

The application to Wolverhampton City Council has been lodged jointly by Wolves, the University of Wolverhampton, Inspire and Redrow Homes.

It will see an indoor pitch and expansion of the football academy at Wolves' training ground, made possible by the relocation of St Edmund's Catholic School onto adjoining land owned by the University of Wolverhampton.

In turn, the university will sell the balance of its site to Redrow Homes to build 55 houses in order to cross-fund the school.

The sale of the university's land will then contribute towards its own investment plans in a new science facility on its City Centre campus.

Turley Associates is handling the planning application, for which a decision is expected in early November.
Tesco perfect medicine for Wolverhampton
Lisa Pilkington 12/10/2011 12:24

Tesco has won consent to redevelop Wolverhampton's Royal Hospital into a 139,800 sq ft supermarket.

The £50m project will see the historic 1849-built hospital transformed into a scheme that will re-use and update the main hospital building.

Jonathan Simpson, corporate affairs manager for Tesco, said: "The approval brings an end to the 14 years of uncertainty for the Royal Hospital building and means that Tesco can now begin delivering another successful bespoke mixed-use town centre that will not only revitalise the Royal Hospital site, but also the wider All Saints area."

The supermarket is designed within the context of a wider masterplan that would deliver residential-led mixed-use space on the remainder of the site, with 25% of the new housing being affordable housing.

Subject to consent, Tesco hopes to have the store open by Christmas 2012.
Tesco renders:

#22 ·
In general I don't like supermarket-led developments but here it is doing this building a great favour; I thought its days were numbered .If I remember correctly,when the Metro stations were chosen ,The Royal stop was placed to provide passengers with access to the hospital .Of course , the hospital was eventually closed , leaving the stop with a very low patronage .This project might revive its fortunes .:)

#23 ·
Actually getting 3 Supermarkets...

Wolverhampton to get three new stores to spark jobs boost
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 5:30PM BST.

Three new multi-million pound supermarkets will be built in Wolverhampton, creating 1,339 jobs and finally bringing a close to the city’s longest-running planning wrangle.

Sainsbury’s and Tesco have both won the right to create new stores in the city, while permission has also been granted for another.

The decision puts an end to an 11-year battle between the store giants over the right to build on land at Raglan Street, in Chapel Ash.

During yesterday’s meeting of Wolverhampton City Council’s planning committee, Tesco exchanged contracts with its rival and handed over its share of land after more than a decade of rows and court battles.

Wolverhampton City Council had initially favoured Tesco to build on the site, even though it owned only a 10 per cent share compared to Sainsbury’s 86 per cent.
Hospital

The authority’s decision was partly influenced by Tesco’s vow to use the separate Royal Hospital site for houses and offices.

But Sainsbury’s objected and Supreme Court judges finally voted in its favour last year. Tesco went back to the drawing board and came up with plans to create its own supermarket at the Royal Hospital site and agreed it would sell its share of Raglan Street if permission for the scheme was granted, which it was last night.

Owners of the Peel Centre in Stafford Street also yesterday won permission for a supermarket and are in talks with Morrisons.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...new-stores-to-spark-jobs-boost/#ixzz1ab4yc31m

#25 · (Edited)
A new tallest structure for Wolverhampton. :D

Power plant to create 70 jobs

Seventy jobs will be created under plans unveiled today for a £120 million landmark plant in Wolverhampton that will power 47,500 homes.

The energy plant, known as Greenpower 54, is being lined up for land next to the i54 business park, and includes a 328ft tall chimney visible from the M54 motorway and A449 Stafford Road.

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/11/03/power-plant-to-create-70-jobs/#ixzz1cgU4hy1g

Key features will ensure that the facility is sustainable, modern and meets the highest standards. These include:

•An enclosed fuel preparation and recycling building that we estimate will be approximately 18 metres high.
•A storage area for recovered wood.
•A structure to host the turbine of approximately 20 metres in height.
•A building containing the boiler that we estimate will be approximately 40 metres high.
•A chimney stack that we estimate will be between 80 metres and 100 metres high.
•A control room.
•An office and visitor centre that will offer a unique experience of the facility and the wider environment.
http://www.greenpower54.co.uk/our-proposals/

#26 ·
I guess that's good new jobs-wise but I rarely venture into that part of Wolverhampton so I won't get to see it much - or any of the other stuff that's being built by the M54 - unless this chimney will be visible from miles around.

The article doesn't say when it's due to be completed. :?

#27 ·
12 November 2011 Last updated at 09:36 Share this pageEmailPrint
ShareFacebookTwitter
Wolverhampton 'investment' plans go on display
Businesses and residents of Wolverhampton are being invited to have their say on proposals to "revitalise" the city.

The plans intend to attract more investment in retail, office space, housing and leisure in the city centre.

People can give their views before the plans are developed into a City Centre Prospectus, which will be used to market the city to potential investors.

The plans are at the Wulfrun Centre on Saturday from 10:00 to 13:00 GMT.

They will also be at the Wolverhampton City Centre Indoor Market from 22 November from 10:00 to 13:00 GMT.

In October, up to 50 developers and business leaders welcomed plans to improve the existing shopping centre and develop family leisure facilities such as a cinema, bowling alley and food restaurant chains.

The draft plans seek to show how the city centre might be shaped and developed over the next 20 years.

The cabinet member for economic regeneration and prosperity, Councillor Peter Bilson, said: "Following the positive feedback from developers, the council is now keen to seek the views of the public and other stakeholders for plans which we want to be both ambitious and deliverable."

The plans can also be viewed on the Wolverhampton City Council website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-15696964

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.