search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #1
FrederickOcean

Likes (Received): 3

BC's Top 100 Buildings

Found this article via Vancouver art blog Booooooom about best buildings of BC. http://www.booooooom.com/2014/05/16/...itish-columbia

With Huffington Post slideshow of entrants/submissions: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05...itish-columbia

Architectural Foundation entry form/details: http://www.architecturefoundationbc....dings-contest/

Makes for an interesting read and discussion.

For me personally; the best building in BC has to be the Danial Market on Barclay - from my first trip to the area and being my local food dispensary at the time, many happy summer memories tied in with that place.

Talisker liked this post
FrederickOcean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #2
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 519

Surprised by the lack of interest in this TBH. I'd say my favourite would have to be the Vancouver Library building. It's something I have particularly fond memories of, not just from an architectural sense but also the huge number of books they have. It's more like an academic library rather than a normal public library.
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 566

Well..... I hate a good chance to post buildings we love while boasting about the Province we also love & in most cases the cities we love, or at least the region we love. All this love has me feeling like a hippy all of a sudden...

My own entry is actually 2 buildings, & for a good reason.
The MNP tower @ only 36 floors & the Marine Building @ 22 Floors are seen here ( IN MY OWN PICTURE ) bridging the gap between Vancouver's shining history & her bright Future which we are still building today. ( STILL MY OWN PICTURE )

Yellow Fever liked this post
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Yellow Fever
Proud to be Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 52628

nice shot!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #5
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 566

Thank you sir
Old January 31st, 2015, 12:29 AM   #6
carewser

Likes (Received): 14

This thread probably died because BC doesn't have 100 great buildings, in fact it doesn't even have 10 great buildings.

carewser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 12:58 AM   #7
Huhu

Likes (Received): 397

10 might be a little bit cynical. I can think of 10, though they won't be supertalls, cuz.. we don't have ANY; but it's not too hard to come up with a list of 10 buildings that are pretty neat for reasons other than height.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #8
Yellow Fever
Proud to be Vancouverite

Wave currently under construction is one of my favorite buildings in BC.

IMG_9898 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

IMG_9904 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

IMG_9896 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

IMG_9899 by Yellow Fever @ SkyscraperCity, on Flickr

NW Mike liked this post
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:05 AM   #9
Lennonhead
Professional No-goodnik

Likes (Received): 18

I'd have to agree about the Vancouver Library, it's a really neat-looking building. Very dramatic.

It's unfair to say that BC doesn't have any good-looking buildings. once you get out of the same-y glass towers that make up Vancouver's West End you can certainly find some gems.

My personal favourite building in BC (that I've seen, mind you) is the WAC Bennett Library at SFU. In a completely different direction, I like Waterfront Station a lot too, and the kind of stuff that makes up most of Yaletown has a possibly overunified but pleasant look to it.

Lennonhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 05:23 AM   #10
Yellow Fever
Proud to be Vancouverite

welcome to our tiny forum!
Old May 4th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #11
Lennonhead
Professional No-goodnik

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
welcome to our tiny forum!
Thank you!

I have a big interest in local history (don't we all... haha) and architecture definitely plays a part. So many buildings wind up forgotten in favour of the "City of Glass" ideal in people's general impression of Vancouver. Although, there are nice enough glass buildings, of course (like the Central City complex in Surrey)

Oh, I forgot to mention: Vancouver City Hall is very imposing and thus striking in that way. I haven't gotten to see it in real life yet, but I bet it's just as impressive as it is in photographs.

The Jim Pattison Pavilion at Vancouver General Hospital and the other building next to it (forgot its name) definitely look like places where people go to die, hahaha. Not very suitable for a hospital, maybe, but makes a powerful impression. I seem to remember the old Abbotsford hospital looking similarly, but I could be mistaken.

In my opinion, if a building causes a reaction in people, it's a great building. It doesn't have to be inoffensive and "pretty". Everything can be appreciated in its own way.

Huhu liked this post
Lennonhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote