search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #21
GrahamH

Likes (Received): 4

I have a cottage in Point Roberts, and frankly I'm happy to have it part of the States. If it wasn't, it would just be more Tsawwassen suburbia with small houses, and condos filled with old white people. What the border does is create a feel of being farther away than you really are, and i like that.

nick.english.dept liked this post
GrahamH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #22
Yellow Fever
Proud to be Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 52585

and the gas and foods are cheaper there as well. I used to go there every week filling up my tank.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:43 AM   #23
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
Humiliation? eh? Why? I think it's unique. It's humiliating for the states if anything... as it's full of Americans, many of whom identify with Canadian culture more than US culture. Interestingly, kids have to cross two borders to go to school in Blaine.

Maybe that's where they're reindoctrinated with American values like mega-Wal-mart and non-sweetened iced tea.

( I'm totally kidding, btw)
Point Roberts is fine the way it is. For as long as I can remember, it was a piece of America "in Canada" more or less. We used to walk over the line and swim in the bay during the summer months, go for picnics in the area, buy gas as it was MUCH cheaper than on the BC side and basically stocked up on things that were generally much cheaper in Washington state. This included items such as American cheese, cheddar cheese, chicken, gallons of milk etc. plus all the things that were either not found in BC supermarkets or were in very small sizes. The Point was not as cheap as the rest of the county but it was when Canadians would compare it with BC. My family and I used the Whatcom County Public Library as well as the US Post Office to do a lot of our mass quantity mailing etc. Residents of the Point also used to have BC Tel phone numbers in those days with residents there having area code 604 and Tsawwassen prefix 945-****numbers. Water comes from the Greater Vancouver Water District and the Delta Fire Dept. assists the volunteer Pt. Roberts Fire Dept. As for school, the kids that did live there were indeed bused to school in Blaine [Canadian kids go to school in Delta/Tsawwassen] where they are taught about the Samish, the Colville and the Snoqualmie instead of the Haida, Nootka and Salish in BC. It makes sense. The kids as well as many residents that I knew here thought of themselves as
Ameri-Canadians and were quite happy with that. Cable TV comes from BC and nowadays because of the change to area code 360, internet service is available from Whidbey Telecom[WA] & from Delta Cable[BC]. The residents have the best of both places!
Cheers to a lovely place with great folk from BC and Washington.

Yellow Fever liked this post
nick.english.dept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:28 AM   #24
Yellow Fever
Proud to be Vancouverite

Likes (Received): 52585

great post!

nick.english.dept liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote