search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #121
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 53826

Ive been there so many times and i wasn't aware there are palm trees in front of the building.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #122
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 571

I think Surrey needs to put in a bunch of palms on a heavily used street. Something like this:

Its not a hard thing to do, & it will spark an invigoration & interest with on the community that previously had lost its... Urban mojo, & would lead to a potentially larger interest in the area from different parts of country overall.

Area's that currently lack standout gardens or architecture can create new interest with a more manicured tropical setting. With or with out glorifying the changes it would be noticed very quickly & could breath life back into a dead or dying neighbourhood. Of course there are not a lot of dead or dying neighbour hoods in the region but I think you get my drift. Like this below which could be a part of Langley, Abbotsford, or even Squamish. Okay, not Squamish.

Parking in White Rock on the ocean could look like this also, or even a revamped portion of Crescent beach perhaps after there is a lot of towers are put in,
( give it 10 years & there will be high rise's there, absolutely)

Not sure why, but Ive always had a love for palm trees.

Last edited by Rhino; November 20th, 2015 at 12:40 AM.
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #123
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Not sure why, but Ive always had a love for palm trees.
who doesn't? the thing is we can't grow the california/hawaii style tall palm trees here since its way too cold for them to survive.
Old November 20th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #124
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

I was doing a search for palm trees that survive & live, in a northern climate & low & behold I found a very nice image that took me a few seconds to realize what I was looking at:

Our own little piece of paradise here on the Coast.

Last edited by Rhino; November 20th, 2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old November 20th, 2015, 12:59 AM   #125
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

I have been trying to get this picture for a long time & its never just right.
Today however it is. There is a nothing picture at the Coast Canadian sky train station ( just North of it ). You can see between the completed condos to see the 4th structure rising via crane. It may sound stupid but I love perfection. Thank you for being polite & listening, now you can go ahead & laugh, or throw something at the monitor.

Yellow Fever liked this post

Last edited by Rhino; November 20th, 2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old February 13th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #126
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Taken by me around 2:00 or 14:00 today in Surrey

104ave

a new potential skyline coming together for Surrey heading south on Collage.

This is the Bosa project shown across from our new City Hall just above

Behind the Bosa tower, another Tower started to lay foundation just a week ago.

Yellow Fever, Piotr-Stettin liked this post
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #127
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Surrey Light Rail video : NEW in FEB 2016:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVh-VmDoSSc

Old April 27th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #128
Coouge

Likes (Received): 9

Surrey is becoming a nicer area.
Coouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:36 AM   #129
Coouge

Any new picutures for new developments?

Any new updates?
I've been following this post. Really interesting and makes me excited for Surrey.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:58 AM   #130
Coouge

Concord Pacific's Park Avenue West.
So exciting!! And, there will be a new theater and a mall near King George.

Old April 27th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #131
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Thanks for updating this thread and welcome to our forum!
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:29 AM   #132
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

When the Surrey Hospital started upgrades, there was a small tower built across the road to the North side of the Hospital. I was told be someone working on it, that it was all but completely leased to different organizations in the medical industry. Today I noticed that right behind that medical tower, is another tower being built. It may have started a few weeks ago, but this is the first time I noticed the tower crane on its site however.

Looking south between the Park place towers that are still under construction & finalizing the Coast Capital HQ at king George station, the crane can be seen.

Wish I didn't notice in time to take a decent picture
Old June 15th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #133
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Sorry I know I haven't been posting much, Im sorry for that.
I want to add something interesting though:

This shows the location of the New Tsawwassen Mega Mall

Future plans for Tsawwassen Shores behind the MALL :

The Mall opens in October 2016 & on June 25th - June 26th they are holding a job fair to fill 1,000 positions.

Last edited by Rhino; June 15th, 2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old July 20th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #134
buzzbuzzsteph

Likes (Received): 66

New residential development coming to 10727 Delsom Crescent, Delta. More details: https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/suns...age-residences
buzzbuzzsteph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #135
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

50-storey education centre proposed for former Surrey Stardust roller rink site

A developer has announced plans to replace the former Stardust roller rink building in Surrey city centre with a $200-million, 50-storey education centre.The 550,000-square-foot “GEC Education Mega Center” project, subject to city approval, is a partnership between developer WestStone Group and CIBT Education Group (rendering pictured).

It would cater to international students.

“International student enrolment across British Columbia has been growing at an astonishing rate of 25 per cent since 2014, generating over $5 billion in gross income for the province,” said CIBT Education Group President and CEO Toby Chu.

Last edited by Rhino; September 11th, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM   #136
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

No one posted squat since me on Sept.11th ? There is so much going on though!!

Hi all fellow Formers,Coming to you from xbox1, yeah my x-bone. We shall see how this works.
Old January 28th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #137
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Delta Rise tower to open this spring and pave way for more high-rise developments

As Delta’s tallest tower nears completion, the 37-storey building is expected to become a catalyst for much-needed redevelopment in an important section of North Delta, according to developer Satish Sharma and Delta Mayor Lois Jackson.

Delta Rise is a residential and office condo tower near Delta’s boundary with Surrey at 80th Avenue, just west of 120th Street. Construction began in the fall of 2014 and is expected to be complete by March 2017, said Sharma, president of Marshall Mountain Homes.

The building is at its full height and work is now focused on the interior of the building, which is by far the tallest in Delta, Sharma said.

The building comprises 317 residential condos, a rooftop courtyard, a four-storey strata office component, and ground-level retail spaces.

“Delta was missing this form of housing,” Sharma said. “People have been living in this community for 25, 30, 40 years and they’re aging in this community. They want to stay here and Delta didn’t have many options for seniors to get away from the stairs, get away from the backyard work.”

He said neighbours were concerned that the building would be too imposing and would block views, but in general the public response has been supportive, while the local government has been energetically helpful.

The area immediately surrounding Delta Rise is a mix of aging small and medium-sized apartment buildings, gas stations and low-density commercial spaces.

Delta planners and leaders had been looking for ways to increase housing options and commercial amenities in and around the Scott Road centre area, said Jackson.

“When the (project) first began, the developers wanted a short building, and I said if we’re going to go, we’re going to go big,” she said.

Jackson added the developer and council embraced the idea of building a large tower with a mix of homes and commercial space. “We have to have something where people can feel like they’re in a village,” she said.

“It’s a place where (seniors) can downsize to something a little more manageable and still be in an area where they can get other services close by.”

Jackson said the city offered Marshall Mountain Homes $2 million worth of financial incentives to move ahead with the project.

“We will re-coup those tax dollars once the building is completed and we have people living in that building,” she said. “You give a little now and it really helps everybody to move forward.”

Jackson said the project only took three months to get from the first stage of the process to final approval.

Delta’s government had been looking for ways to “redefine” the area to make it more welcoming for walking and shopping for residents, she said.

“We have not been able to accomplish that yet, and I’m hoping that the Delta Rise will spur some of the property owners along that area to improve their streetscape and their amenities and their commercial areas,” Jackson said. “I’m hoping (Delta Rise) is going to be a catalyst for redevelopment.”

The tower has become a “total landmark,” said Philip Seel with Fraser Elliot Real Estate Group — the selling agency for the project.

He said the tower is visible from the Alex Fraser Bridge and from points in Burnaby and Cloverdale.

“If you’re on the ferry going to Vancouver Island and you look back, you’ll see Delta Rise sticking up,” he said.

Seel said the businesses at the tower will include a coffee shop, hair salon, dentist, pharmacy, notary public, and one floor of the four levels of office space will be “dedicated to medical professionals.”

He agreed that the surrounding neighbourhood is ready for change.

“I do think that demand is there for higher density,” he said.

“There weren’t a lot of viable options for people in Delta to retire and stay in Delta,” he said. “We were seeing a lot of people move away to other areas.”

He said the project is almost sold out and has been attracting seniors looking to downsize, but also others who are keen to stay in the region but have struggled with affordability in the housing market.

Jackson said she expects there will be other high-density projects in the area.

“We are open to putting other high-rise buildings along Scott Road, but we’re not going to cluster them. I don’t believe that is necessarily a good mix for us at the moment,” she said. “We’re hoping to sprinkle them around. If we have more applications, we’re certainly open to that.”
Old February 6th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #138
Coouge

The Future of Surrey Central 2017 ~ 2020 Plans!

Watch this video as well showing Surrey Developments
https://youtu.be/peZwSh1KGTo

Yellow Fever, NW Mike liked this post
Old February 6th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #139
Coouge

The Hub at King George Station

The Hub and Concord Pacific's Boulevard!

CONCORD PACIFIC - PARK BOULEVARD

SURREY - KING GEORGE SKYTRAIN STATION 2017 ~ 2020 Development

PARK BOULEVARD

- Coouge

Yellow Fever, NW Mike liked this post