search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2017, 06:56 AM   #3901
Oakenshield

Likes (Received): 0

Landmark

Hey all. I'm new to this forum (and Skyscraper City for that matter). Just wondering if anything is happening with the Culos development (Landmark) across from TRU? I know they initially planned for a 21 storey tower and that's been downgraded quite dramatically. What is it down to now? I noticed that there's been little to no activity for the past while (weather?) and that they seem to have stopped at 4 storeys like the others. I sure hope they go up to at least 8.

On another note, how much further north can Bilton go in Bachelor North...seems to me he's near the end of how far he can go.

Have a great BC Family Day!
Oakenshield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:50 AM   #3902
Oakenshield

Mission Hill Project

Hey,

Anyone know what the plans are for the debacle that was the Mission Hill project? I know they've completed the one tower, but what of the other two that are simply looking like the remnants of a nuclear holocaust?
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:51 AM   #3903
Oakenshield

I need three more posts

Bumpin' up to five posts
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:51 AM   #3904
Oakenshield

Two More

Two more to go to send a PM
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:52 AM   #3905
Oakenshield

Last post
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #3906
mushmush
BANNED

WOW

Kamloops is becoming bigger

Last edited by Yellow Fever; May 30th, 2017 at 05:56 PM.
mushmush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #3907
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 574

Sorry guys, I used to Mod for BC & Kamloops specifically. Since moving 5 years ago, the thread has died. I had hoped someone would take the reins & continue my work... anyone up for that? THE POST ABOVE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. DON'T CLICK, ITS A JOKE & A WASTE OF TIME. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE ONLY HAS 2 POSTS. TROLLING
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #3908
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Im looking back to when we discussed the removal of the stickiness. From my post on May 9th 2014, the next post by Greco Roman .... was 32 MONTHS LATER. 32 Freaken months. Dreadful.
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #3909
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Did anyone else notice the Power Rangers and the green alien brood trash Kamloops ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IaXgxfa5es
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:33 AM   #3910
raggedy13

Likes (Received): 76

There's actually quite a bit going on in Kamloops lately. There are at least 2 new significant residential infill projects (with retail at grade) that have been proposed recently downtown and along Tranquille on the North Shore. There are renderings available in PDFs posted to the City's website, but I don't have time at the moment to grab and repost them here. I'll try to in the next few days.

There's also a 6-storey residential building u/c at the corner of 3rd and St. Paul downtown, next to the Hilton DoubleTree Hotel, which will also have retail at grade.

Yellow Fever liked this post
raggedy13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:37 AM   #3911
raggedy13

Other significant news... The old Kamloops Daily News building downtown will be demolished soon to make way for a parking lot. This was the site of a referendum for a new performing arts centre but that was unfortunately shot down by residents. There still seems to be a strong appetite for a performing arts centre in Kamloops though so perhaps this will be revived. Either way, this parking lot, which is owned by the City, likely won't remain a parking lot for too long.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:39 AM   #3912
raggedy13

Kamloops will also be getting a new craft brewery in the next week or two - Iron Road Brewing. It's opening up in a light industrial building across McGill from Thomson Rivers University. I'm sure it will be a hit with students.

Here's a related article: "New Kamloops brewery hoping to open its doors by July"

Source: Iron Road Brewing

UPDATE: Looking at their website it appears they just had their soft opening yesterday... https://www.ironroadbrewing.ca

The_Dude liked this post

Last edited by raggedy13; August 4th, 2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:47 AM   #3913
raggedy13

TRU also has some big development plans with "The Reach" - a university village concept with new market housing, retail, student housing, etc. Here's some info on it: http://cfjctoday.com/article/542119/...-neighbourhood

I'll try to expand on some of the new Kamloops development, including images etc., when I've got a bit more time.

Rhino, The_Dude liked this post
Old August 3rd, 2017, 09:54 AM   #3914
raggedy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakenshield View Post
Hey,

Anyone know what the plans are for the debacle that was the Mission Hill project? I know they've completed the one tower, but what of the other two that are simply looking like the remnants of a nuclear holocaust?
From what I've heard, the original project went bankrupt but the site was recently bought by another developer and Council recently approved their proposal to complete the remaining two buildings so those will be back u/c any day now.

The_Dude liked this post
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #3915
raggedy13

Here are some renderings for one of the projects I mentioned earlier, 280 Tranquille, on the southeast corner of Tranquille and Clapperton:

Source:KamloopsBCNow

I grabbed the renderings from this article written at the end of June. It describes how this will be the first project in Kamloops to have 350 square foot micro suites, which the developer thinks will be popular with tech sector types, as this is practically across the street from Kamloops Innovation, a local tech incubator.

This stretch of Tranquille Road is in the early stages of revitalization, so this project should be a welcome addition, especially as it's filling in a vacant lot that had an old gas station on it. It should help to establish a more consistent retail strip and hopefully see some interesting new retail tenants. United Way will be moving into the offices on the second floor.

Yellow Fever, The_Dude liked this post

Last edited by raggedy13; August 4th, 2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old August 4th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #3916
raggedy13

Here are renderings of the building currently u/c at the corner of St. Paul and 3rd:

Source: City of Kamloops - Document Centre

Here's the site on street view. It doesn't look significantly different at the moment, except they've started excavation so there's hoarding around the site.

Yellow Fever, The_Dude liked this post
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #3917
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 54901

Thanks for the new updates.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #3918
raggedy13

Here's an article about the proposed downtown development mentioned earlier:

Quote:
Ejecting Kamloops’ last video-rental store?

The last remaining video-rental store in Kamloops is at a crossroads, but MovieMart’s uncertain future has more to do with the city’s hot housing market than Netflix.

Total Concept Developments has submitted plans to the city to build a mixed-use commercial and residential development at 444 Seymour St. Total Concept manager Sheila Minten said the six-storey project will include at least some rental housing and about 100 units.

“It’s going to be huge,” she said.

Minten said the demand for housing, for purchase and rent, makes now the right time to put something new on the property.

Source: Andrea Klassen at Kamloops This Week
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/eje...-rental-store/

The_Dude liked this post
Old August 8th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #3919
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Raggedy13 Im quite proud of all the effort your putting in. well done. NIce to see something in Kamloops change while others still do not and likely never will.
Old September 27th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #3920
The_Dude
Future Architect

Likes (Received): 24

Raggedy13 Thanks for taking over the Kamloops thread so well! Kamloops will always be a special place to me and it's great to see it developing again!
The_Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote