search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Minneapolis-Saint Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #141
John Nicollet Mall

Likes (Received): 927

The first set of trees being planted along Nicollet Mall between 11th and 12th street!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #142
mullen

Likes (Received): 528

thanks for the update- taking the pics for us. I havn't been on the mall in months.
mullen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #143
Major Deegan

Old June 19th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #144
Dangerous Person
I'm too complex

Likes (Received): 332

Glad they're installing reasonably large saplings. When the mall has to be completely torn up and redesigned again in 20 years, maybe these will actually be too big to yank out and start over.

Avian001, Mplsuptown, Le Sueur liked this post
Dangerous Person no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #145
Avian001
Mostly Sane

Likes (Received): 929

^ No Kidding. Our much-vaunted Park System is administered by a gang of people who think it's perfectly OK to kill adolescent trees in the name of "design."

"Design intent" that changes every 20 years.

How many 100-year-old trees, do you suppose, exist in the current Minneapolis public park system?
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #146
Mesabiapolis

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
^ No Kidding. Our much-vaunted Park System is administered by a gang of people who think it's perfectly OK to kill adolescent trees in the name of "design."

"Design intent" that changes every 20 years
Agreed. I thought those oaks in front of Cancer Survivors Park were going to make the cut (excuse the ironic pun) and incorporated into the Mall revamp. Oaks take a long time to mature and those had just started to make a canopy. The street work in that portion had been moving along for awhile (tearing things up) and the trees were still there, so I gave a mental "phew". And then one day I nearly froze in my tracks when they were gone.
Mesabiapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:28 AM   #147
John Nicollet Mall

Nicollet Mall south of 12th Street begins it's reforestation!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Avian001, Le Sueur liked this post
John Nicollet Mall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #148
Dangerous Person
I'm too complex

Likes (Received): 332

While I'm glad there will be relatively sizeable trees, the revamp is pretty underwhelming. Overall, except for the addition of a few more trees, the Mall is hardly any different than it was before.

Major Deegan liked this post
Dangerous Person no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #149
John Nicollet Mall

The curvature of the streets from block to block are exactly the same as the previous design, so in that sense it's the same. However, the flooring material, the tall light fixtures , bus shelters , seating spaces, and tree species are completely different. In addition, there are many new sculptures and art features being introduced that are new to Nicollet Mall. When the mall is more completed , it will definitely look and feel quite different than it did three years ago.

Major Deegan, DouglasFir33 liked this post

Last edited by John Nicollet Mall; June 20th, 2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old June 20th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #150
Scott16475

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Person View Post
While I'm glad there will be relatively sizeable trees, the revamp is pretty underwhelming. Overall, except for the addition of a few more trees, the Mall is hardly any different than it was before.
Um; you are aware are you not that the mall has a while to go before it's completed, correct? Please hold your negativity until it's completed. THANKS!

JMS9, DouglasFir33 liked this post

Last edited by Scott16475; June 20th, 2017 at 02:27 PM.
Scott16475 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #151
mullen

I wish the original vision from james corner field operations for the sidewalk pavers and bus shelters had been kept.. but budgets.. I havn't seen one photo/rendering of what the bus shelters will look like. my understanding is the project office left this to metro transit. I hope metro transit goes beyond the curved metal shed with little transit information they employ at the majority of their stops.

the original shelter designs were from Julie snow... beautiful glass enclosures.
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #152
John Nicollet Mall

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they are still using the Snow bus shelters. The cost for them was transferred to MTC as part of keeping the renovation within budget.

As far as the pavers go, it's a bummer they were not used. I still think overall , the mall will look great when done. Hopefully, the etched concrete blocks will be relatively easy to repair and maintain.
Old June 20th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #153
mullen

if they're still going with the original shelters that's awesome. thanks for the info.
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:41 AM   #154
Major Deegan

I'm hopeful this will turn out okay. Not spectacular like the renderings led us to believe, but it will do until it's time to redo everything again.

Pity about the trees. The urban environment is harsh on them as it is due to air quality, lack of sunlight and poor soil. It takes 20-30 years just to grow a medium- sized tree. Seems shortsighted to be ripping them before they got a chance to fully grow out.

John Nicollet Mall liked this post

Last edited by Major Deegan; June 21st, 2017 at 02:48 AM.
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:19 AM   #155
John Nicollet Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Deegan View Post
I'm hopeful this will turn out okay. Not spectacular like the renderings led us to believe, but it will do until it's time to redo everything again.
The underground infrastructure of sewage, electrical, gas, etc have been replaced and should be intact for decades. No doubt the next update will be less intrusive and take less time. They also know a great deal more about how to vegetate the Mall, so the trees and plants can root better and survive both the climate and stress of living in an highly urbanized environment.
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:17 PM   #156
qhaberl

Likes (Received): 8

This may have been addressed already, but my concern continues to be the concrete. What is it going to look like in five or 10 years. You see how sidewalks become all gray and disgusting. Is that what we have to look forward to seeing on Nicolette Mall? I still feel very strongly that not going with pavers was a horrible idea. I understand if they needed to cut the budget. It just sucks to see that plain white concrete.
qhaberl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:37 PM   #157
spearson

Likes (Received): 37

I have the same thoughts. In a few years those lightly stamped patterns are going to be barely noticeable and the concrete will start to discolor.

Also, is anyone else disappointed those nice mature crab apple trees are gone at the Xcel headquarters? Those things were wonderful.
spearson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:55 AM   #158
min-chi-cbus

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhaberl View Post
This may have been addressed already, but my concern continues to be the concrete. What is it going to look like in five or 10 years. You see how sidewalks become all gray and disgusting. Is that what we have to look forward to seeing on Nicolette Mall? I still feel very strongly that not going with pavers was a horrible idea. I understand if they needed to cut the budget. It just sucks to see that plain white concrete.
Agree, and I personally don't like the folksy leaf design. I'll hold out judgment until everything is finalized before I write off the entire redesign, but that is one aspect I'm not a fan of so far.
min-chi-cbus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:03 PM   #159
mullen

as much as I wanted the pavers the concrete is a lot easier to maintain.

John Nicollet Mall, Scott16475 liked this post
Old July 29th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #160
bapster2006

Likes (Received): 959

At the HopCat opening. Missed the "free crack fries for a year" card, but got their free Grand Opening glass. Really cool looking place, and it's great to see so many people pack into the north side of the mall.