search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure Transport, infrastructure and other related discussions

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #41
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 6192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuks View Post
On this i spite Uhuru and Ruto, are you trying to tell us that if they desired the stadiums or the games the minister would have stood on their way?
But come to think of it, what is it that Nyayo stadium lacks in terms of hosting international matches?
The sports CS had one job. Develop a executable plan to deliver the stadiums. But we were met with fiascos like Harambee stars almost not flying to Cape Verde because of money, volleyball teams unable to get money to go win competitions, the Rio fiasco.... Aside sports he has even failed to promote kenyan culture like the botched concert in Washington DC.

I think having the government handling sports is just idiotic the process should be in the hands of the private sector. And the sports ministry should be a totally independent institution and they'd make money with sponsorship deals with international firms.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC

Kenya Patriot liked this post
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #42
Kenya Patriot

Likes (Received): 28

Since we are 7 weeks to a general election we should expect the party manifestos to be released soon. I know the current government promised us 5 stadiums and they have not. So they will have to explain how its going to be done and why they didn't do it earlier. However when I read it the first time in 2013, I knew it would be hard to implement all those promises in 5 years for a new administration. Considering they had to deal with distractions the first few years as well, I am surprised they actually did more than expected. Let's push to have the stadiums done.
Kenya Patriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #43
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 5363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenya Patriot View Post
Since we are 7 weeks to a general election we should expect the party manifestos to be released soon. I know the current government promised us 5 stadiums and they have not. So they will have to explain how its going to be done and why they didn't do it earlier. However when I read it the first time in 2013, I knew it would be hard to implement all those promises in 5 years for a new administration. Considering they had to deal with distractions the first few years as well, I am surprised they actually did more than expected. Let's push to have the stadiums done.
Im honestly more into roads.

Stadiums as an investment arent really all that great.

But roads are a long lasting investment. They move people and goods faster so Im kinda ok with them not building stadiums, it isnt a national priority for me.

They could use that money for LAPSSET, JKIA, more motorways or the other projects that we really need.
Old June 19th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #44
andegwa

Likes (Received): 1909

Quote:
You bring up a good point. When Jeff asked Nzioka Waita (who comes off as a pretty brilliant chap in the below interview) about the stadiums... he essentially owned that they haven't been built. Rather he talks about the plans/designs having been finalized and highlights the other stadiums that have been upgraded -- Kipchoge Keino, Afraha, Narok stadiums et.al --

Move to the 4:00 minute mark for the sports stadium discussion

EDIT-- if the above video doesn't play on here, just follow the link and watch on youtube

Kenya Patriot liked this post
andegwa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #45
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 2547

I appreciate the fact that they did immensely on roads, electrification and NHIF issues but............No. They promised five f*cking stadiums, the fact that not even one was built clearly shows that they were not committed to such. Hata kama zingekuwa kama za Mutua tungesema walijaribu, but NOTHING??

njenga kenya, Mistah ILL WILL liked this post
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #46
njenga kenya

Likes (Received): 122

Very true Dhuks. There is no sign of any stadium. A stadium is orders of magnitude easier than a railway or a highway.
njenga kenya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #47
billy whiz

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
I appreciate the fact that they did immensely on roads, electrification and NHIF issues but............No. They promised five f*cking stadiums, the fact that not even one was built clearly shows that they were not committed to such. Hata kama zingekuwa kama za Mutua tungesema walijaribu, but NOTHING??
Kweli kabisa Dhuks.

Something keeps bothering me.

We should compare ourselves to our regional brothers. I choose Ethiopia and Tanzania for illustration.

Our respective budgets for 2016/2017 were as follows KE $21.4B, ET $11.9B, TZ $7.9B.

Now, it's fair to say that KE has a HUGE budget. ET + TZ =$19.8B

It has been said by forumers here that TZ has far much better roads than KE. ET on the other hand has made more progress in establishing it's industrial foundation through better roads, modern commuter rails and enough power generation.

Is it that KE spends far too much on sectors like health and education?

I would expect that we have better social infrastructure such as stadiums owing to the fact that we can absorb such costs easier than our neighbours.
billy whiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #48
Kenya Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy whiz View Post
Kweli kabisa Dhuks.

Something keeps bothering me.

We should compare ourselves to our regional brothers. I choose Ethiopia and Tanzania for illustration.

Our respective budgets for 2016/2017 were as follows KE $21.4B, ET $11.9B, TZ $7.9B.

Now, it's fair to say that KE has a HUGE budget. ET + TZ =$19.8B

It has been said by forumers here that TZ has far much better roads than KE. ET on the other hand has made more progress in establishing it's industrial foundation through better roads, modern commuter rails and enough power generation.

Is it that KE spends far too much on sectors like health and education?

I would expect that we have better social infrastructure such as stadiums owing to the fact that we can absorb such costs easier than our neighbours.
Yes we spend 230 billion on TSC alone. Also factor 322 billion on devolved funds, 500 billion on recurrent expenditure and 400 billion on debt repayment. We still spend 200 billion on various development projects. Kindly anyone feel free to correct me.
Old June 20th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #49
billy whiz

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Yes we spend 230 billion on TSC alone. Also factor 322 billion on devolved funds, 500 billion on recurrent expenditure and 400 billion on debt repayment. We still spend 200 billion on various development projects. Kindly anyone feel free to correct me.
Going by the size of our recurrent exp then we are literally EATING our budget. Our budget structure is wrong. We will never see development because tumeikula.
billy whiz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:41 AM   #50
Dhuks

As if we are not already in a bad situation the Meru governor is telling the county government through KFF(?) to keep off refurbishing Kinoru stadium
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:55 PM   #51
iceman70

Likes (Received): 75

Ruring’u Stadium Groundbreaking.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

source

Adm.Adama, Kenyan_yungin liked this post

Last edited by iceman70; June 22nd, 2017 at 07:37 PM.
iceman70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:18 PM   #52
Dhuks

I am not convinced, Kenguy leta picha kama tinga tinga zitakuwepo a week from now

Mistah ILL WILL, batuzpisces liked this post
Dhuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:54 PM   #53
abckris

Likes (Received): 1284

Waswahili tunaiita nguvu za soda hizo. Baada ya dakika 15 uchovu unaanza kuingia mwilini, utajiuliza kweli shilingi arobaini zimeenda dakika 15 zilizopita kweli, mbona nimechoka hivi jamani!! Yani nasema wamepata hela za uzinduzi ila za kukamilisha jengo hazipo. Mpango wa uwanja mkubwa kama huu umewahi kuona hauna hata sehemu ya kuegeshea magari? Nitaachia uchambuzi hapo!
abckris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:22 AM   #54
Amboseli Daima

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
I am not convinced, Kenguy leta picha kama tinga tinga zitakuwepo a week from now
I'm also eagerly waiting to see whether they make good on their promise to extend Thika Highway into Nyeri and onto Nanyuki.

That one is probably tougher than stadiums.
Amboseli Daima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:06 PM   #55
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 1676

That stadium is nice. This I have to see to believe...Im sure they will come up with another mediocre structure.

Why did they choose a baseball pitch in a country that doesn't play that game?

Last edited by Kenguy; June 23rd, 2017 at 09:12 PM.
Kenguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 09:36 PM   #56
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 6192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
That stadium is nice. This I have to see to believe...Im sure they will come up with another mediocre structure.

Why did they choose a baseball pitch in a country that doesn't play that game?
Baseball is actually picking up in Kenya. The little league has been growing constantly and ministry of sports wants to accommodate teams to host matches.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:07 PM   #57
andegwa

Likes (Received): 1909

Baseball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cricket
Old June 24th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #58
Mami-wota
Mkenya daima

Likes (Received): 899

some more photos

Source

Adm.Adama, Kenyan_yungin liked this post
Mami-wota no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #59
lsadalla

Likes (Received): 0

Wheelchairs

So random to have the guys in the wheelchairs in the stands
lsadalla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #60
Kenya Patriot

Nice development but I'm not impressed with the stands. This is Nyeri which rains a lot and the stands have no roof to shelter fans. Then the stands could have easily be circular with a roof all round it. I hope this is not the final render. Get it right from the start, you can't demolish to rebuild it. Key word-Functional.