daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM   #1
skyscraper03

Likes (Received): 44

Point Roberts

Point Roberts

Isn't it odd or humiliating(?) for Canadians to have US territory on that spot?
Why didn't US generously let Canada have the little land?

I'm just curious...
Is there any plan Canada buying Point Roberts from the U.S.?

Last edited by skyscraper03; March 2nd, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
skyscraper03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM   #2
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

When they drew the 49th parallel border, they really forgot about Point Roberts. Whether or not it the land is Canadian isn't really too important, at least for me.

Right now, it makes my life much easier as I purchase a few things online (US shipping only), have it shipped to Point Roberts, then pick it up, which also saves me on the cost of shipping.

nick.english.dept liked this post
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Huhu

Likes (Received): 437

When they drew the border, the British cartographers decided it was too much effort to put away the ruler.

I don't know of any effort to acquire the territory. It's quite out of the way any how.
Huhu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM   #4
skyscraper03

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Right now, it makes my life much easier as I purchase a few things online (US shipping only), have it shipped to Point Roberts, then pick it up, which also saves me on the cost of shipping.
lol
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM   #5
skyscraper03

I do not know what is the political strategy for keeping Point Roberts as US territory. But, it is apparently odd that something is only physically attached to Canada is a US territory. It must be causing some inconvenience for the both sides' residents.

The United States is already the most powerful country in the world, and I'm sure giving Point Roberts to Canada isn't going to change that fact a bit.

I like both the US and Canada, but this tiny land should be given to Canada I think.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Huhu

Well it should be up to the residents to decide. An article I read a while back made it seem like people there were pretty content.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 574

what an odd place, very little pictures of it that I was able to find as well. To bad.
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #8
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Humiliation? eh? Why? I think it's unique. It's humiliating for the states if anything... as it's full of Americans, many of whom identify with Canadian culture more than US culture. Interestingly, kids have to cross two borders to go to school in Blaine.

Maybe that's where they're reindoctrinated with American values like mega-Wal-mart and non-sweetened iced tea.

( I'm totally kidding, btw)

NecroN liked this post
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55284

Canada should sent the troops there to reclaim it.

NecroN liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1728

wasn't it part of the deal? they could have it so Canada could have Victoria?

most of what is just south of Duncan would have become the USA but they negotiated to have the whole island be Canada and keep Victoria
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #11
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Wouldn't it make more sense to give the US a piece of land from south Surrey, so at least it would has been connected to the Washinton state?
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #12
Huhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to give the US a piece of land from south Surrey, so at least it would has been connected to the Washinton state?
Uhhh... it wouldn't be just south Surrey (ie. Whiterock), it would also have to include most of Tsawassen and chunks of Delta. I'd maybe be willing to trade all that for Alaska though.
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

I actually don't mind BC joinning the US so that I could move to Hawaii as an american citizen.
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #14
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Can you imagine having to go through security before going to the SkyTrain stations just so that you can take the SkyTrain to Surrey?! Horrific.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #15
paulc74

Likes (Received): 1

I find it quite funny going up to the border to enter Point Roberts and the border guard asks the question "Where are you going?"

Sometimes I feel like saying "LA"
paulc74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #16
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc74 View Post
I find it quite funny going up to the border to enter Point Roberts and the border guard asks the question "Where are you going?"

Sometimes I feel like saying "LA"

Yeah, and if you get ill there, they have to take you by ambulance across two border checkpoints to a hospital in Washington state, as health isurance in Point Roberts for US citizens will not pay for treatment in Canada.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Geborgenheit
Libération

Likes (Received): 9362

That peninsula reminds me of Korea.
Geborgenheit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #18
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1728

my friend's family cottage is there in Point Roberts - most of the cottages and houses there are owned by Canadians - or were - post 9/11 a lot of americans have been moving in claiming it to be safe haven

I think there is no school and the kids have to be bussed to blaine or something like that

It used to be fun to go down and get some groceries - but after 9/11 crossing the border even there is tougher - the bar that used to be there closed down - many canadians would go down and watch the superbowl etc so they could see the US hyped commercials since Canadian TV doesn't show them

its a nice area very weird contrasted to its canadian neighbouring town
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #19
RPM
exiled New Yorker

Likes (Received): 5

The US keeps Point Bob because of fishing rights in the Pugent Sound. The US would loose fishing territory if they gave up the Point.
RPM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #20
niko.athens.greece
Niko Athens

Likes (Received): 4

First of all, why would the US give it up? It isn't the only place along the Canada US border that has abnormalities. A bit to the east there is another similar piece of real estate where one must leave Minnesota drive through Manitoba to get to Elm Point MN. Interestingly too is that it is the only place in the US excluding Alaska that is north of 49°N latitude. Alburgh in Vermont is another where one crosses into PQ to get to Alburgh. In many of the crossings, it was done on the honor system and if I can remember correctly it was done by videophone at one time. Regardless, Canada and the US are children of a common mother. The two countries are not that different, actually if it wasn't for the inconvenient border, I know that almost everyone would not realize they were on the other side. It isn't like the US-Mexico border or any of the borders in the European Union where trust me you KNOW when you have crossed into another country. Sure there are things that are unique to Canada and the US, but they are more of a regional variety. BC has more in common with Washington, Oregon and California than it does to Ontario. Vancouverites think more like Seattlites, Oregonians and Californians on a plethora of things in comparison to many Canadians to the east. People emphasize differences for a variety of reasons such as politics. Personally, it doesn't offend almost everyone I know to mistakenly called American or Canadian and you are the other. I've lived in both countries and the differences one seeks between the two again are more regional. Many people that leave Vancouver or Seattle to move more south say to Los Angeles do so for more or less the same reasons. I've yet to find someone that moved to the other because they just couldn't stand the life there. Rather for jobs, opportunities and in the case of the southern US states, the weather.
Thus, Point Roberts...whether it is in WA or BC is the same....I remember several years ago when I lived in Vancouver, Point Roberts was not in the 206 area code of western Washington but rather the 604 of metro Vancouver. The Fire Department from Tsawassen, BC attended to emergencies on the Point etc.
niko.athens.greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote