search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 573

Cities of Surrey & Delta

I have been living in this neck of the woods for over 2 months now and am shocked at what the future will bring to this emerging Metropolis.

There are already high rises in Surrey of course, so when these
( white building's ) are built, Surrey will become one of the quickest booming cities in North America. Mabe we could change the name to Dubai North.

The new performing arts centre:

Last edited by Rhino; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 542

More like Burnaby East than Dubai North. What Surrey really needs is some sort of identifiable city centre, and not just another Metrotown. There's so much empty space just North of Surrey Central, it's like a huge carte blanch just waiting to be developed.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
bluemeansgo

Likes (Received): 124

Burnaby lacks any sort of downtown. It's more like a bunch of mall-based centers and a city hall beside a lake. Metrotown Centre, Brentwood Town Centre, Lougheed Centre.

Whalley is more than just a mall... in fact I'd say the main part of that area is NOT the mall, but rather the University tower, the Library, recreation centre, future city hall and hospital.

Burnaby is a town without an identity. Metrotown is a huge mall that's surrounded by... an Asian mall, a strip mall across Kingsway with a Best Buy, another three strip malls ( Station Square, one centred around London Drugs and one across from Crystal Mall).

Brentwood is surrounded by houses and a few condos and up until recently, car dealerships.

Lougheed is surrounded by other malls and a few old apartments.

I've lived in Burnaby and Surrey. Burnaby has its lakes and Central Park. Surrey has its cultures, beaches, parks and a vision for the future. Burnaby will always be in Vancouver umbra for geographic and geologic reasons.

Surrey, sitting in Vancouver's penumbra, has a far greater chance of differentiating itself and coming out from under Vancouver's yoke. The very fact that there is this whole area north of central that is ripe for development reeks of potential. With the right guidance, I really look forward to seeing what it becomes.
bluemeansgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #4
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Plan for Surrey City Hall well underway.

Next door, the state of the art Surrey library
RENDER

CURRENT STATE

image hosted on flickr

LIBRARY INTERIOR

New condos will soon be under construction with second tower being built in the future

I found some plans and renders of future towers for Surrey :

Last edited by Yellow Fever; May 11th, 2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: updated
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 542

How many towers are there around the King George skytrain station now? The last time I was in the area, there were 3. The first rendering shows another 2 or 3 dark grey towers.
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #6
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 54442

There are still the same old three towers for now. Hopefully, the proposed other two will become the reality.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #7
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1714

the library is complete and been open for months now - those pics are outdated
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #8
spongeg

this is really old - the area has already been built out and been changed, its park place that is king george station in the foreground

Quote:
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #9
spongeg

this will be going south of king george station - it will have a movie theatre, and large retail available

civicsurrey.com

civicsurrey.com

more renders and info: http://www.civicsurrey.com/2011/11/0...eorge-station/
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #10
spongeg

the city hall plan has also changed - this is the current one - the tower will be office hotel and condos

civicsurrey.com
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:35 AM   #11
spongeg

the newest renderings... some slight changes from the above render...

more pics: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/05/c...ey-renderings/
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Another render of the city hall tower in Surrey

Old July 25th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

This is very interesting and encouraging to say the least.

http://www.civicsurrey.com/2011/09/0...-in-new-video/

Last edited by Rhino; July 25th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:52 PM   #14
(E.G.O.S.)®

Likes (Received): 16

Yeah, nice video!

I've been living in Surrey for a few months and must say I'm pleasantly surprised about the vision for the city and the transformation Surrey has had.
(E.G.O.S.)® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #15
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 54442

Nice found, dude!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #16
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

I'll admit that I have not been around here as much as I should have been. I was hoping someone here with a little more ability on the computer then me, might find a nice way to present this to the form. http://www.surrey.ca/images/August_1...cts_in_scc.pdf

http://www.surrey.ca/images/AUGUST_1...OJECTS_web.pdf
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

So Ive noticed a new sign up on King George and 98th A and after doing some investigating I believe this the Holland Point Mega Project, ( or at least that is what I've seen it called ) 3 high rises to be built and, I was able to find this Render.

Beyond that project, I've also found another project that might and up getting the go ahead.

46 storey tower envisioned for 100 Ave

Sneak peek at the next phase of Urban Village

With just a few remaining sales to go on Ultra, the first tower in the Urban Village complex, WestStone properties is moving onto the next phase of the project. The second tower, at 35 storeys, is planned to be built between Ultra, and Rize’s first Wave tower. The Urban Village master planed envisions another four towers, bringing a total of six once complete.

Coast Capital HQ to anchor King George re-development

Coast Capital Savings, Canada’s second largest credit union, is moving its headquarters to Downtown Surrey, anchoring a massive redevelopment on the land south of King George SkyTrain.

This master planned development – King George Station – is being led by PCI Group, the developers behind the controversial transit-oriented Marine Gateway project, as well as the London Drugs building at Broadway and Cambie and the Chapters building at Robson and Howe. The project is being designed by MCMP Architects, best known for their work on the Vancouver Convention Centre West, the Bentall Five, the Great Northern Way Campus, and the Semiahmoo Library.

The project is a multi-phase mixed use office, retail, and residential complex, consisting of 1700 residential units over four towers, and almost 800,000 square feet of commercial space.

Coast Capital will anchor the development, using about 70% of a 180,000 square foot, nine-storey office building. The headquarters, scheduled to open in late 2015, will be designed to meet the organization’s goal to “change the way employees feel about work, forever”. The iconic, LEED Gold building will feature an open layout concept to foster collaboration. It will include a daycare, with preferential enrolment for children of staff, a roof-top lunchroom and deck, a fitness facility, a corporate university, bike storage and showers, and plug-in spots for electric cars.

Coast Capital is currently headquartered in Guildford, with about 70% of staff commuting from South of the Fraser. Pacific Coast Savings, Richmond Savings, and Surrey Metro Savings merged in the early 2000′s to form Coast Capital. As one of the largest private employers in Surrey, the firm has proven to be dedicated to the community with its frequent financial sponsorship of major City events.

Yellow Fever liked this post
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Rapid bus for King George, light rail for Fraser?

A retail leasing document for PCI’s King George Station development is revealing new details about the City’s rapid transit future. Retail floorplans in the document show that the mixed-use, transit-oriented development has been planned to accommodate two rapid transit stations. On the north end of the property, adjacent to the SkyTrain, a light rail station is being planned, with service east to Langley along Fraser Highway. The development also re-orients King George Boulevard, reducing the northbound roadway to two lanes, while re-allocating the remaining space to two bus-only lanes. A station on the western edge of the property will be reserved for a bus rapid transit service down King George to South Surrey/White Rock.

Major developments like this spend a lot of time working with staff and planners to accommodate the City’s anticipated needs, like rapid transit stations, well before the application comes to Council, meaning it is in here for a reason.

This new information points to a softening in positions by both the City and TransLink. Up until now, the City has firmly supported Light Rail, insisting that it is the only technology able to shape growth and serve growing transit demand today and tomorrow. Meanwhile, TransLink has been adamant that Bus Rapid Transit is sufficient to support the South Fraser out to 2040.

Perhaps this new solution – one LRT and one BRT – is a new compromise both parties can agree to. Light Rail on Fraser would support TransLink’s regional goals of faster and better connections to Regional Town Centres, while still improving transit on the busy King George route. Surrey would be able to obtain at least one Light Rail line, showcasing the technology and its possibilities for future routes. A busway on King George could be adapted to LRT relatively easily at a later date if public demand warrants it.

Old January 29th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Found a cool render/picture of the City Hall project

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #20
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Some shots of Surrey and other parts of the lower main land that I've taken over the last week of so. I said I would start spending more time hear, and I have been taking more and more photo's but keep forgetting to put them on here, or I run out of time.

Today, I made the time.

Please excuse the inside the car pics.