search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 29th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #21
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliens_on_the_moon View Post
@abii

I'm sorry you feel that way about the whites but I thought the days were gone when people judged me by the colour of my skin... (I'm white but it doesn't bother me anyway)

Oh Vancouver...
Black Box no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #22
abii

Likes (Received): 237

FAILLLLLLLLLLLL...........

Back again with new statistics, this time with fresh stats from the new report on vacancy rates.

Quote:
A new report has popped the bubble on the prevailing myth that Vancouver’s real-estate problems are the result of a wave of non-local investors buying homes and leaving them empty.
Quote:
The overall vacancy rate in the city was less than five per cent – a rate that had barely shifted over the years, even as real estate prices increased rapidly. The vacancy rate is also comparable to those of other large cities in Canada, Ecotagious said in the report.

As well, there was no sign of a spike in vacancies of single-family homes, a belief that has led to many media stories and anecdotes about deserted neighbourhoods for several years.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29072573/

Will this kill the bs? Of course not. This is no different than the Trump phenomenon. Some people literally don't care about facts. The idea makes sense to them so they will stick with it no matter what.

They will continue screaming about the non-existent vacancy rates for example.
abii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #23
Vince
Vince

Likes (Received): 1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by abii View Post
I just had an argument with someone about "foreign ownership" and his race (white) is relevant to my hypothesis. Tell me if I'm wrong (specially if you're a Vancouver resident.

IMO this "foreign ownership" thing is bull shit and a lot of white people are just getting annoyed that "brown people" and "slanted eye people" are driving better cars and owning homes/condos. They see this and scream "foreigners" when the majority of us are citizens or permanent residents working towards citizenship. The stats I've seen put foreign ownership for the entire GVA at something like 2%. That's nothing. Half of that 2% are Americans btw (according to that report).

Children of Asian immigrants are FAR more likely to be university educated than white children. On top of that, we're more likely to study something useful. Here's proof of this:

So we're twice as likely to go to university, but even the white kids that do go to university mostly go into useless programs like acting, marketing, film making, women's studies, dancing etc... That's the case in my university where every engineering, science, computer and useful business program (like accounting) is filled with East and West Asians while the useless programs are filled to the ceiling with white kids. We're also more likely to be tight with our money (higher savings) and more likely to spend our money on appreciating assets like homes and condos.

Only 35% of UBC is white!!!!!!!!!! And even this low number doesn't tell the whole story as I said earlier (they tend to choose useless programs like women's studies and acting).
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/0...-universities/

I'm 27 and I have a condo downtown. I went to university for a couple of years, worked for a few years and saved for a condo and now I'm back in university to finish my degree. My brother is always on the Dean's honor list at UBC and job offers left and right (he's studying chemical engineering). My uncle got his undergrad and graduate degrees in engineering from UBC. Both my parents have graduate degrees (economics and computer). Virtually my ENTIRE family is university educated and all their kids are either going to university or have already been graduated. Now multiply this across all Asian families (West and East Asian). We also never study useless subjects.

Next time you pass a truck in Vancouver look inside and see who's driving. Ten times out of ten it's a white tradesman or a young white boy driving a beaten up truck. White people here dominate in blue collar jobs that don't pay much. They rarely send their kids to university. The ones that do go, study useless subjects like music! Is it any wonder that Asians do better?

Of course, there are no solid statistics on foreign ownership, but in light of the above facts I don't think it's foreign ownership that is pushing prices up. It's a combination of low interest rates, record low supply and speculation. In this environment, Asians are proving to be more successful. That's all it is. I get annoyed looks when I tell people I rent out my condo downtown for over 2000 a month. They assume mommy and daddy sent me cash from "overseas" and I'm just sitting here living it up. Nope! On the contrary it's the white 3rd generation population that doesn't do anything with the opportunities they are given.

Make sure you read this article:
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/0...-universities/
Don't be such an ethnic chauvinist. You and your entire clan would still be in the motherland full of engineers, scientists and doctors if what you say is true. Have you lost your ancestral value to be humble? (Stereotyping here to make a point).
Vince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #24
abii

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Don't be such an ethnic chauvinist. You and your entire clan would still be in the motherland full of engineers, scientists and doctors if what you say is true. Have you lost your ancestral value to be humble? (Stereotyping here to make a point).
You don't get it. Canada has made me what I am and I am thankful for the opportunities this country has given me. Opportunities that I would have never had back in my "natural habitat." My place of birth, however, gave me values that helped me succeed in Canada. The numbers don't lie. Immigrant children are twice more likely to go to university. Our savings rates are higher (Asians in general). Our incomes are higher. You combine all those things and you have higher rates of real estate ownership.

It has nothing to do with humility. All I'm saying is that you look at a Chinese or Iranian looking guy as a fellow Canadian, until you find out he owns a home in West Van or a condo downtown. Then suddenly he's a foreigner that's increasing land values etc...

Every authority on the subject is saying that foreigners are not the cause of these astronomical price increases. I'm open to being proven wrong, but when I look for the stats and they tell me foreigners are not the issue and people keep screaming about the non-existent foreigners, I have no option but to think that they are talking about a person like me: a Canadian with brown skin. Recently there was the issue of "vacant" homes. The link in the second post of this page shows that Vancouver has an average rate of vacant homes compared with the rest of Canada. But are people going to drop this argument? Almost certainly not.

You have low interest rates, a low supply, a growing economy and a city that every well-off immigrant wants to go to (again, I don't look at immigrants as foreigners if they're here to stay and become citizens etc...) combined with rampant speculation creating these ridiculous price increases.
abii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2016, 03:37 AM   #25
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7639

Quote:
Originally Posted by abii View Post
You don't get it. Canada has made me what I am and I am thankful for the opportunities this country has given me. Opportunities that I would have never had back in my "natural habitat." My place of birth, however, gave me values that helped me succeed in Canada. The numbers don't lie. Immigrant children are twice more likely to go to university. Our savings rates are higher (Asians in general). Our incomes are higher. You combine all those things and you have higher rates of real estate ownership.
What you are saying is simply due to Canada's immigration policy. Nothing to do with your ancestral land giving you values that helped you succeed in Canada. Canada has a points based immigration that targets skilled immigrants or at least immigrants that are trying to get higher education once they come here.

Virtually every Bulgarian I have met in Canada, has some sort of university degree (most in engineering or medicine) and usually earns more than the average local French & English speaking Canadian. Same can be said about the average Iranian, Pakistani or Indian that you come across in Canada. This is normal, we live in Canada, we see the full spectrum of local Canadian society. The overachievers and the underachievers, the educated and the uneducated, the poor and the rich. While most new immigrants are from a selected background.

Other countries such as the UK or Germany have a much more lax immigration policy, and there you will see that the average Iranian, Pakistani or Bulgarian will have below average income and educational level.

If Canada had the same immigration policy as them, you would soon see that these "values" are not worth much.

emale, v_hugosilva liked this post

Last edited by Ulpia-Serdica; March 26th, 2016 at 03:42 AM.
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #26
Coouge

Likes (Received): 9

When people are talking about Vancouver, are they specifically talking about Downtown or the Lower Mainland in general? Because, house prices in the lower mainland is not that bad. It's downtown Vancouver is the expensive location.
Coouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 07:54 AM   #27
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 54419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coouge View Post
When people are talking about Vancouver, are they specifically talking about Downtown or the Lower Mainland in general? .
They are talking metro Vancouver in general with DT being the most expensive in the region.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #28
Stringpicker

Likes (Received): 202

I can think of two pretty obvious reasons beyond speculation and foreign investment for the unusually high real estate prices in Vancouver. They are: 1) the relatively small geographical size of DT Vancouver and 2) the incredibly beautiful location of the city. I'm not trying to be controversial but it seems to me that real estate prices might also reflect desirability.
Stringpicker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM   #29
archisimon

Likes (Received): 426

It's all about desirability and immigration. You can't expect stagnant house prices in a city full of new immigrants. Same with other new world cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland etc.

There seems to be a lot of housing supply in Vancouver though with new condos and terrace developments going up all over the place. Is that helping? The prices out in places like Surrey/Delta seem reasonable but I suppose the hipsters don't want to live there?
archisimon no está en línea   Reply With Quote