search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #1
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 20

Vancouver Island Developments

hey all! well, i love victoria, but there are some things about it that i would really like to see change, but for some reason, i don't think will happen. for one thing, i think that victoria should start building up. but there are some city councillers there that don't believe in my views. they want to keep victoria a "queint" (sp?) city and that the tourists who come to victoria don't want to see "eye sores". but me personally, i love towers so much. i think that victoria needs some taller (not really tall, YET) and sleek and elegant towers to showcase it's true beauty. they do have some tall buildings, but a lot of them are too short or they're out dated (hello, view towers aka crack towers) and with victoria's growing population, where are you going to put all the people? they don't want to ruin the farmlands and the parks, but they also don't want towers. what are they going to do? it just makes no sense.

what are your opinions?
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 567

We are having the same problem in Kamloops right now. It is not the city that is the issue here , its the old people that are against development . Luckely we are in the faze of ignoring their concerns . A city has to grow, Everyone has to understand this .
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #3
jada
Miss Skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 2

Honestly Victoria's population isnt growing that much. Its very slight.

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. " - Carl Sagan

Have fun, take pics! :)
jada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Westcoast604

Likes (Received): 28

Yeah they should definatly build some towers. If sprawl gets out of hand it will really make a mess of southern Vancouver Island. I think councellers will come to their senses eventually and build up, maybe just a few taller towers downtown, but for the most part I'd expect to see more built up nodes around the region consisting of 15 storey buildings max.

Its kinda ironic how Nanaimo which is smaller, is building more high-rises than Vic. I was reading in the Sun yesterday on how it is becomming a new bedroom suburb to Vancouver with harbour lynx ferry service to downtown in 80 mins (hey thats the same as my commute to Surrey!). A lot of Vancouverites are buying in Nanaimo for cheaper condo prices, and to get away from the busyiness of the city. Good news for Nanaimo! They are getting some great waterfront towers out of it!

http://pacificawaterfront.com/

Last edited by Westcoast604; March 30th, 2005 at 07:05 PM.
Westcoast604 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #5
Koz

Likes (Received): 0

Some councillors and anti-development types (aka NIMBYs) are ramming down our throats lies and deceptions. They want tourists and newcomers to believe Victoria really is quaint, but it's not. What's quaint about Victoria? What's charming about Victoria? It's as quaint as any city of 350,000 and has the same issues as a city of 350,000. With towers, of course, all of the people who are trying defiantly to pretend Victoria is a small town, won't be able to pull the wool over many people's eyes. What's a small, quaint, charming town doing with 30-storey towers?

Until Victoria rids itself of this small-town, cutesy and quaint perception printed in tourist paphlets and spat out in conversation, the attitudes are not likely to change. They will be passed on over the years even when Victoria reaches 400,000 (which if you include the full commutershed it already has), 500,000, 600,000...

But Jarrod, it's people like you who can set change in motion. Go out to council meetings, talk to your friends and relatives on the issue, and start spreading your views around. There are plenty of poeple who share your views but they believe they are a minority.

Last edited by Koz; March 31st, 2005 at 01:24 AM.
Koz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast604

Its kinda ironic how Nanaimo which is smaller, is building more high-rises than Vic. I was reading in the Sun yesterday on how it is becomming a new bedroom suburb to Vancouver with harbour lynx ferry service to downtown in 80 mins (hey thats the same as my commute to Surrey!). A lot of Vancouverites are buying in Nanaimo for cheaper condo prices, and to get away from the busyiness of the city. Good news for Nanaimo! They are getting some great waterfront towers out of it!
Just to clarify, Victoria is building many more highrises than Nanaimo which has 3 proposed. Victoria has around 30 proposed or under construction and several recently completed, whereas Nanaimo hasn't seen any highrise construction since the 90s. If the Sun actually wrote that the opposite was true, then man, were they ever wrong...

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=37 - info on Victoria proper's, while there are also highrises proposed in the burbs not listed here.

And the Sun's article is more fluff than a representation of reality. People are not moving in hoards to the island and working in Vancouver. There's a handful of commuters, which will obviously grow, but it's nothing to get too excited about right now. Think about it, 80 minutes travel time across the strait, plus time to drive to the terminal on the Nanaimo side, wait until the ferry leaves, and do the same thing on the other side. In reality you're looking at 2 hours from start to finish. Not exactly a dream-come-true for more than a handful of people.

Last edited by Koz; March 31st, 2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:20 AM   #7
Westcoast604

Likes (Received): 28

Yeah I realize the Sun glamourizes things and that it's probably just a few handfull of people doing it, but it still is an option if you don't mind that ferry ride, unlike Victoria which is a bit too far for bedroom community status, but yes even Nanaimo is pushing it I agree.

The tower in that picture I thought was fairly recent, you say nothing has been built since the 90s? Must be late 90's then, but I don't remember seeing that there when I visted in 99. My point was it's height, it looks quite taller than anything i've seen in Victoria.
Westcoast604 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:39 AM   #8
renthefinn
Who?

That building in that photo of Nanaimo is called the Beacon, and is the current tallest on the Island at 76m, and 26 stories. It finished construction in 1995, so you must of missed it on your last trip. The tallest in Victoria is Orchard House at 22 stories, and about 67m, not exactly sure on that height though, it was completed in 1969, and is the main reason for Victoria's current height restrictions.
renthefinn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:50 AM   #9
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast604
Yeah I realize the Sun glamourizes things and that it's probably just a few handfull of people doing it, but it still is an option if you don't mind that ferry ride, unlike Victoria which is a bit too far for bedroom community status, but yes even Nanaimo is pushing it I agree.
Yeah, Victoria is just too far if you want to commute via ferry. If you want to fly it's not a big deal but the costs...yikes...
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:22 AM   #10
*Jarrod
....kay?

well, i love all of your comments! and yes, i will have my say when issues of taller buildings come up in city hall. but there are all those people that want to keep it's image of an english community even though it has some serious issues in drugs and gangs...
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:52 AM   #11
jada
Miss Skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 2

@jarrod.. where excatly on VI do you live?

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. " - Carl Sagan

Have fun, take pics! :)
jada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 04:05 AM   #12
*Jarrod
....kay?

i live in an area called black creek between campbell river and courtenay/comox. but i'm moving to victoria in the summer
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:05 AM   #13
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 799

I like a city skyline but only if it compliments the city. Victoria could use some good highrises but only as long as they don't tear down all the older building in the process. Victoria has far to many beautiful buildings and we don't want to become another Vancouver, steel/glass but no warmth.
A true mix of incomes, housing types, family types and businesses is what makes a city truly vibrant and diverse.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:07 AM   #14
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 799

By the way, greater Victoria is hardly growing at all......just 1200/year.
Its the changing demographics that are causing the huge amount of residential construction.
One house in the sixties would probably have 6 or 7 people but know to hose 6 or 7 would need probably 3 dwellings. No population gain but a lot more dwellings.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:36 AM   #15
*Jarrod
....kay?

i remember reading somewhere that back in the '60s that they were planning on tearing down the empress and putting up a big box tower. but luckly it was saved. could you imagin victoria without the empress?! it would look so naked. it would look pretty depressing
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:24 AM   #16
Koz

^and that's the hypocrisy of this town, try building something the size and scope of the Empress today and you'll be chased out of town! But every NIMBY here swears by it, even it's "height" and scope are a non-issue. Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
By the way, greater Victoria is hardly growing at all......just 1200/year.
Its the changing demographics that are causing the huge amount of residential construction.
One house in the sixties would probably have 6 or 7 people but know to hose 6 or 7 would need probably 3 dwellings. No population gain but a lot more dwellings.
Last figures I saw the city was growing at 1%, roughly 3000 a year (at least since 2001, anyways. Last year there was an inmigration of 12,000 but a loss of 8000, if I remember correctly so the city grew by 4000 in 03/04. So we're not doing bad at all. Check out the CRD's site for more concrete figures up to 2004 at http://crd.bc.ca/regplan/ris/facts/p...GROW_03_04.pdf

Anyways, nobody is tearing down buildings in Victoria, at least not the historic buildings. That is the common misconception that irks so many people to stand against development. No developer wants to scald his or her reputation by destroying old buildings, rather they build on empty lots or raze over 50-year old shacks that have no architectural merit. Problem is, if historic buildings are not being knocked down then the NIMBYs choose to focus on the proximity of new development to historic buildings, which is rather comical but has recently gained a lot of support. It's too bad, really, that Victorian's laud new development as being destructive yet praise European towns for being so progressive (have they not seen how well Europe's highrises and modern development complements historic structures?)...

Last edited by Koz; March 31st, 2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #17
mec26

I think to keep with the English feel of Victoria, they should build a "new city" section on the outskirts, as is done in many major European cities. These clusters of modern buildings wouldn't really blight the historical ones as long as they were an appropriate distance away (but of course not too distant for practical, commercial reasons).
mec26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #18
Koz

But there is no "English" feel to Victoria. That's nothing but tourist pamphlet hype concocted for marketing purposes only. Ask any local and they'll scratch their head to pinpoint what exactly makes this town English (but every tourists somehow swear by it).

Victoria is as English as is New York, Chicago or Toronto.
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #19
Tri-City Guy

Likes (Received): 3

Well Jarrod you won't be alone with your views. I'm an environmental planner (oddly going into teaching now - LOL) and have worked in tourism as well. I'm moving to Victoria at the end of August. I'll sure as hell be making my views on the pro's for high density development known. I don't get put off easily so they're wasting their old age telling me sprawl is good. You also get plenty of "oh don't move to Victoria" from the locals, as there is no work and all that. Its just a funny city in that, those who live there treat it like a private club and don't want anyone else joining in. Unfortunately, I was put off by comments like that in the past. Many of my friends in Vancouver didn't help with the 'you'll die' of boredom remarks. Then again, I'm 35 so Victoria is likely perfect for my age. Neither newly wed nor nearly dead but perfect nonetheless. Hell I might even constitude 'chicken' in that town which is all the more reason to move there!! LOL

Victoria will come around with new blood. Its growing whether it likes it or not! The future is not places like Sooke, Langford, Colwood and the communities as they are today. They are so spread out they make Sidney look high density. LOL OK, going to the extreme a bit but you get the point. Even in Victoria areas like Hillside, Vic West, Esquimalt, Fernwood and James Bay are all perfect for further density. There's also room to increase densities around UVic or the hospitals but to a less degree maybe, say four or five story buildings.

Maintaining a sense of uniform style is what the city should be more concerned with. For example, if an office tower were to go up say to 20 stories - make it look historic or old world looking. Tourists won't mind a few high rises - its the city's style that matters most! And Victoria's got its own style but it can't prevent progress. And this is coming from a so called environmentalist. LOL Gee, what kind of tree huggers am I. A realist perhaps.
Tri-City Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #20
Wallbanger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz
But there is no "English" feel to Victoria. That's nothing but tourist pamphlet hype concocted for marketing purposes only. Ask any local and they'll scratch their head to pinpoint what exactly makes this town English (but every tourists somehow swear by it).

Victoria is as English as is New York, Chicago or Toronto.
Hmm? Victoria is more English than NYC Chicago or Toronto, I mean.. the name for one, the busses, that big british style hotel... anything else?
Wallbanger no está en línea   Reply With Quote