search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #101
jada
Miss Skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 2

Well VHF it looks like you have two weeks then to boost your postcount here at SSC.

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. " - Carl Sagan

Have fun, take pics! :)
jada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #102
VicHockeyFan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc
It's a two week suspension.
OK. But although Paulina was topless, I don't think anything was "showing"...

Anywho, OK.

Alrighty, what cho all wanna talk about?

Guerrero, they are asking about you on SSP...

Chief Paul Battershill was on the radio today..... thay are going to conduct a probe of their own activities on Canada Day, searching bus patrons and the like.... what a waste of time..... just do it different next year.... and git rid of that darned helicopter...
VicHockeyFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #103
Guerrero

I am attempting to get on there but so far nothin doing. I will try again in the next couple days.

So I have seen that the Nelson's music building is being worked on, but it does not sound like they have their permits from the city yet. Seems a bit strange to be already putting floorplans on their website.

Also has anyone seen any pages with renderings for that Fort Street building across from Mosaic. I havn't heard anything but they seem to be working with a plan so I don't get it. Rental properties perhaps?
Guerrero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #104
jada
Miss Skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 2

Nelson's Music, eh? That was the building I had eyed out to purchase after I win the lottery.

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. " - Carl Sagan

Have fun, take pics! :)
jada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #105
VicHockeyFan

Holden west over at SSP may knows something on the Fort St. building, its right in his 'hood.

Ya, the Nelson's thing is strange..... but indeed they are working on it.
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #106
Guerrero

I saw a brochure at cityhall yesterday on the redvelopment of the upper room on Pandora. Unfortunately no website that I could find. Anyways they had a rendering of the building that is going to replace the building that is there.

First of the building stretches completely between St. John's Ambulance and the Victoria Conservatory. The base is 2 stories and completly fills this space. The idea here is to have enough room that people can be inside rather than out on the sidewalk. I am all for that. There is then about three more stories of housing above the base. The housing is slightly more narrow and set back a bit from the front of the property. If I come across a rendering online I will try to post it.

Not the most exciting development and I am sure it will take a long time to get going but that block of Pandora sure needs something...
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #107
Koz

^Interesting...
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #108
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 20

nifty

hey! i live in victoria now!!! the sears department store is my neighbour. cool eh?
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #109
VicHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero
I saw a brochure at cityhall yesterday on the redvelopment of the upper room on Pandora. Unfortunately no website that I could find. Anyways they had a rendering of the building that is going to replace the building that is there.

First of the building stretches completely between St. John's Ambulance and the Victoria Conservatory. The base is 2 stories and completly fills this space. The idea here is to have enough room that people can be inside rather than out on the sidewalk. I am all for that. There is then about three more stories of housing above the base. The housing is slightly more narrow and set back a bit from the front of the property. If I come across a rendering online I will try to post it.

Not the most exciting development and I am sure it will take a long time to get going but that block of Pandora sure needs something...
The funding is in place, it dropped in out of the blue about 4 months ago.

PREMIER’S TASK FORCE ON HOMELESSNESS,

MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTIONS

The task force announced today the following developments in six communities:

Victoria

The redevelopment of the existing centre operated by the Upper Room Society/Victoria Open Door Inner City Mission, with an expansion of the transitional housing from 22 to 45 units. The housing would be targeted to single adults. Funding estimates include:

Federal capital funding of approximately $3.65 million.
Federal contribution of $370,000 through Supportive Communities Partnerships Initiative.
Provincial capital funding of approximately $3.65 million.
City contribution of property tax exemptions and adult outreach program funding equal to approximately $500,000 over 15 years.
The society has raised $500,000 in capital funding and received commitment for an additional $500,000.
Operating costs of approximately $1,000,000, with about $650,000 from the society and $350,000 from Vancouver Island Health.

$8M for 23 additional units. That's $350,000 each....... **** me...

Last edited by VicHockeyFan; July 13th, 2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #110
Brett

Likes (Received): 45

I was in town on the weekend looking for apartments and came away quite impressed with my future home. Can't wait to go back in six weeks or so to stay! (for a couple years at least)
Brett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #111
Guerrero

So i guess that these organizations are not part of the plan when it comes to the Rock Bay development. I had heard that some of what is planned for there are projects. Personally I think if we (as taxpayers) are spending that much on cleaning that are up it should be sold for top dollar. That area is ripe for a Granville island type development. It even has a cement factory just like G.I.

As for the Upper Room project I must say once its done people other than its patrons might use that side of the street. How does it work out that social housing costs the same to build as market value condos are sold for. Just a thought.

Hey VHF, being a North Park denzien you ever hear of what was happening with the planned beautification of Cook street between Pandora and Caledonia. Though I kind of like it how it is.

I would love to see a nice big project on the Wellburn's parking lot though I am sure that is not going to happen any time soon. Also would love that suburban four storey apartment building to come down that is just opposite that lot.
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #112
VicHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrero
So i guess that these organizations are not part of the plan when it comes to the Rock Bay development. I had heard that some of what is planned for there are projects. Personally I think if we (as taxpayers) are spending that much on cleaning that are up it should be sold for top dollar. That area is ripe for a Granville island type development. It even has a cement factory just like G.I.
Agreed.

Quote:
As for the Upper Room project I must say once its done people other than its patrons might use that side of the street. How does it work out that social housing costs the same to build as market value condos are sold for. Just a thought.
Lord knows....

Quote:
Hey VHF, being a North Park denzien you ever hear of what was happening with the planned beautification of Cook street between Pandora and Caledonia. Though I kind of like it how it is.
Dunno anything about it, actually....

Quote:
I would love to see a nice big project on the Wellburn's parking lot though I am sure that is not going to happen any time soon. Also would love that suburban four storey apartment building to come down that is just opposite that lot.
Ya, that lot is too big for them at Wellburns, if they tore down the elevator advertising building and put something up that shared the Wellburns lot..... but hey, do you dig that building on Mason, with the refridgeration co, in the basment, and apts up top, facing the little park? I think that's cool. The old brick apartment building on Balmoral at Cook, with no set-back from Cook Street is kind of cool too....
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #113
Guerrero

Agreed both those buildings are awesome. The hippy farm next to it is a little weird though. Who exactly uses that refridgerator store?

Also from this neck of the woods the building with the coffee shop and law firm next to the DO-IT Centre is up for remsediation soon.
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #114
VicHockeyFan

^ Ah yes, remediation time. That one was due. I wonder when Regents Park are due for remediation.... I saw a Britco trailer on site the other day, I wonder if their number is up.

OK, this would be a boring meeting.. I mean, its a freaking undewater cable, what's to discuss? Does there have to be a public hearing before anyone can do anything these days?

Power line to be discussed at open house

Times Colonist

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A company proposing an undersea power line between Vancouver Island and the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state is holding an open house today at Esquimalt's Archie Browning Sports Centre.

Vancouver-based Sea Breeze Pacific will be showcasing details of its $200-million Juan de Fuca Cable Project from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Plans call for a 36-kilometre electrical transmission line to run between Port Angeles and View Royal.

The company said the technology that would be used has a low environmental impact, while the power supplied could guard against the possibility of emergency shortages on the Island. B.C. Hydro has said the Island could face a power shortfall by 2007.

Sea Breeze Pacific has been touting its proposal since the cancellation of Hydro's Duke Point power project last month.

Those unable to attend the open house can contact the company at 1-866-387-1240 or go to www.jdfcable.com
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #115
VicHockeyFan

OK, I'm in favour of this, hard to believe it costs so much. Give me a jack-hammer, and a summer, I'd do it for $50,000.

Bike lanes will be extended along Fort

Times Colonist

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Cyclists travelling from downtown Victoria along Fort Street's bike lane discover it ends suddenly at Cook Street after just three blocks.

Continuing on Fort up the hill, cyclists pass a "bike route" sign, then, near the summit, "bike route ends."

The mixed messages should be gone by the end of August when a project to extend the bike lanes is scheduled to finish.

Council has backed a $370,000 plan to remove car lanes from streets to make way for bike lanes, for the first time in Victoria's history.

The project will extend the bike lane along Fort Street from Cook to the Oak Bay junction. A similar lane will run from the junction in the opposite direction to Cook Street via Yates Street.

One car lane will be removed in each direction to accommodate the changes, which include five improved pedestrian crosswalks and landscaping.

Traffic simulation models have shown that reducing the number of car lanes will not impede traffic flow, a report from city transportation engineer Steve Hutchison said. The project was largely supported at an open house held in February.

Half of the funding for the project is expected to come from the province and from the Insurance Corporation of B.C.'s road-improvement program.

Last edited by VicHockeyFan; July 13th, 2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #116
Guerrero

I am sure Regents Park will be screened up soon.

As for that underwater cable meeting I am tempted to call the 1800 # to let them know I won't be able to make it.

Here is a thought, at the bottom of the Chelsea, some commercial lease space has been put in though no one has taken them up on it yet. Might have something to do with people being shot there. But perhaps the city could convince the owneres of View Towers to do the same with a portion of their garage like right at the corner of Quadra and View. I peaked in there and there seems to be lots of room, though most of the people could have been at work.

I hope the bike lanes on Fort are more exciting then those ones they put in for 1 BLOCK on Caledonia. Can't beleive the Minister of Transportation even showed up for the opening. 1 block Ha!
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #117
VicHockeyFan

Ya, Caledonia bikes lanes was lame.....

NEWS ITEM: The Bear Mt. hotel has been branded.. its a Westin.
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #118
Koz

A Westin...and what's the one Moe Sihota is developing a stones throw away (near Costco)? It's not another Westin, is it?

Jarrod, welcome to Victoria.

Brett...so how did you decide to travel to Victoria? Through Vancouver/ferry or direct to Victoria?

Anyways, it's time for Regent Park to come under the green tarp. People have been selling units in those towers like hotcakes since mid-2004...an indication something's up. Lets hope the suckers buying into those suites are/were aware of the remediation costs.

Re: View street. I have a feeling the City will embark on a View Street beautification project soon(ish). The owners of The Chelsea realize the pending changes and hope to cash in when the work is completed. I read about a plan that called for closing off View from arterial traffic and allowing cafes to setup tables on the street, a la European city squares. Nifty idea but I'm doubtful it would fly. People would flip about giving up the street to peds and peds would flip everytime a vehicle barreled through to enter one of the underground garages or Ralph's Radio. Although a ped-only environment would be nice right in the middle of the city...
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #119
Guerrero

In the late eighties early nineties there was a plan to turn view street into a shopping street but the city turned around after the Harris Green Charette that focused shopping on Yates and Fort with View being mostly for just residential.

I saw that rendering for those new buildings in the 1000 block view on SSP and I think that the city will only allow over 10 stories if there is ground floor retail. In the rendering I could only see it on one of the buildings so I am sure the city is going to send it to the desgin committee and they will say the commercial component has to be increased.

I am confused as to why a hotel is being built across from Costco. I can't see where the customer base is going to come from unless it is a lot cheaper than the one at Bear Mountain
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #120
Koz

My understanding is the hotel will be cheaper than the Westin @ BM. It's targeted for professionals who are attending weekend/weeklong seminars/sessions at Royal Roads and your average Joe visiting family in the westcomms. Apparently, and I say apparently as I wonder about the reality of this, there is demand for hotel space in the west. Whether that's based on sheer growth of the region or an expressed demand by travellers (for x-number of reasons such as w/ Royal Roads) remains to be seen.

The Harris Green area is limited to 10-storeys, yes, but so far two structures have been approved at 13-storeys. The Wave, u/c, and the Stafford, a 13-storey rental tower that could not secure funding and was replaced by Stan Sipos' 8-storey 860 View.

So what I'm trying to say is the land in the 1000-block of View is zoned for 10-storeys, but others have gotten away with 13. Couple that with remediation costs for the 1000-block of View and you've got a recipe for increased height/density. Personally I'd prefer to see a 15-17-storey tower and a lowrise 7-10-storey cousin rather than two 13-storey towers. In any case, 13-storeys is quite probable but anything over is guesswork. Of course the developer could argue the 17-storey Regent Park and 19-storey View Towers are literally next door thus making a taller proposal somewhat in line with what's already in the area. But knowing Victorian's, anything new over 12-storeys is a harbinger of all things evil yadda yadda...

As for the Harris Green plans, time to revamp them. They are innadequate based on the cost of land and demand for living space. 10-storey structures with 9-floors of living space stepped away from the building line doesn't give you much space and drives up the cost of units. As for aesthetics, imagine having a slew of 8-10-storey buildings litering a large chunk of downtown (things would look uncomfortably flat from a distance).