search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #121
VicHockeyFan

Likes (Received): 0

Sheraton by Sihota I believe.....

NEWS ITEM: some woman fell overboard in the JDF Strait (Straight?), she floated 9 miles, 7.5 hours, she's OK....
VicHockeyFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #122
Koz

Sheraton, that's it. Thanks.
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #123
VicHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada
Well VHF it looks like you have two weeks then to boost your postcount here at SSC.
34!
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #124
VicHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada
Well VHF it looks like you have two weeks then to boost your postcount here at SSC.
34!
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #125
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz
A Westin...and what's the one Moe Sihota is developing a stones throw away (near Costco)? It's not another Westin, is it?

Jarrod, welcome to Victoria.

hey, thanks!!! i'm enjoying it.

well, i have two job interviews...now don't laugh at them since it will only be my second job ever (the first one was at zellers in hillside mall for a month last summer)...

one is at mcdonald's on hillside avenue on tuesday...
second one is at thrifty foods in the deli department. i hope to get that one.
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #126
VicHockeyFan

^ I'm prayin' for ya to get the Thrifty's one.....

~ From SSP ~
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #127
VicHockeyFan

I can go for this..... I think it should apply to any vehicle with an engine under 1200cc too....

Hybrid drivers could get parking break

By Mark Vardy

Victoria News
Jul 13 2005

Ecologically friendly cars should park at downtown meters for free, said Victoria Coun. Chris Coleman.
We need to bring on more environmental initiatives and ecological initiatives. Here's one that makes sense," he said.
What we're really trying to focus on is protecting air quality."
Owners of hybrid cars should be able to get a pass that allows them one and a half hours of free parking at city meters, he said. Smart cars, and cars fueled by natural gas, biodiesel and other environmentally friendly fuels, should also be considered for free parking.
New Haven, Conn. became the fourth U.S. city to pass such a bylaw on June 6. Residents who own hybrid cars registered in New Haven can get a decal from city hall that allows them to park for free at city parking meters.
Los Angles has a similar bylaw because of its concern with smog.
At last week's committee-of-the-whole, Coleman said Victoria could be the first Canadian municipality to enact a similar bylaw.
Two city committees that look at downtown and transportation issues will discuss the idea. City staff will take their recommendations, do some research, then report back to council. Coleman hopes that report will be before council in September, but it will likely be next year, he said.
This is the front end of a discussion that will be occupying the next generation," he said.

~ From SSP ~
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #128
VicHockeyFan

This guy is kinda coming down in flames, eh?

Ex-clients cite victory as court orders Ian Thow's assets frozen

Andrew A. Duffy, with files from Richard Watts
Times Colonist

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Two days after former Berkshire investment adviser Ian Thow broke his silence, the courts slapped him with an injunction freezing his worldwide assets.

Calling it a win, Katherine Ducey, the lawyer for the Goodwin family of Richmond -- former Thow clients who have filed suit seeking $1.05 million -- said the courts have granted an injunction preventing Thow from liquidating his assets.

"It says he's not supposed to transfer or dispose of any of his assets before trial ... to make sure there's something left," she said.

When asked to estimate the worth of Thow's assets, Ducey would only say, "It's difficult to know what, if anything, he has."

Ducey says Thow now has 14 days to provide them with a list of his assets and the amount of money he requires to live. She said they have asked for a list of all assets owned by Thow and his companies, but not those in his wife's name.

"But theoretically anything in her name that actually belongs to him should be listed," she added.

The freeze comes just two days after Thow filed an affidavit in Vancouver in response to the Goodwin lawsuit which alleges the former Berkshire mutual fund salesman advised members of that family to buy into an investment scheme involving the National Commercial Bank of Jamaica.

According to writs filed in B.C. Supreme Court and the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta, the Goodwins' suit -- and three others -- revolve around a scheme that had clients writing cheques to Thow's numbered company with a view to purchasing shares in the NCB of Jamaica to be held in trust for those clients.

Those court documents allege Thow was telling his clients their investments were soaring; however, when the clients demanded their money they received either a small fraction of their investment or nothing at all.

In his affidavit, Thow denies advising the Goodwins to enter such a scheme. He also pointed out he was a mutual fund adviser -- "As such, I did not have the authority to put client's funds directly into stocks."

Later in the affidavit Thow adds: "I may have suggested that an investment in NCB would be a good idea, but I did not ask them to make such an investment through me and I did not tell them to borrow funds against the equity in their homes to buy shares in NCB."

And while Thow admits he did make comments to Brad Goodwin about their investments doing well, he did not "recall ever telling him that they had doubled, tripled or quadrupled in value. My comments were with reference to the mutual funds investments that they were making through Berkshire (which again, did not include any NCB shares)."

In his affidavit, Thow says he has "given a mortgage to Harper Grey LLP (more specifically to HGE Management Co. Ltd., a corporation associated with Harper Grey LLP) to secure future legal fees."

Property documents and land titles information reveal Thow was granted a $250,000 mortgage on his Saanichton home last week. The mortgage was granted on July 6 at an annual interest rate of eight per cent with a balance due date listed as "ON DEMAND."

HGE Management of Vancouver granted the mortgage despite the existence of other encumbrances on the property at 8338 West Saanich Rd., assessed at $4.1 million in 2004.

Ahead of HGE are The Bank of Nova Scotia, which holds another mortgage. Also, three builder's liens are listed against the property while two other builder's liens are now working their way through the application process.

Calls to Thow's Vancouver-based counsel Rod Anderson requesting an interview were not returned.

~ From SSP ~
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #129
Koz

^ apparently Thow's bro has swindled investors as well. Runs in the family I guess.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #130
Guerrero

Why are sketchey deals always somewhere you would expect them to be. Like "I have great piece of property to develop in Haiti, with great views of a volcano." You never hear about scams like "I can get you a great deal on Microsoft stock." Anyways just a thought but maybe people should so some research before giving someone a large chunk of money.
Guerrero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #131
VicHockeyFan

It seems the guys that are really rolling in cash, and flashing it all around are often the ones that come by it in an ill-gotten way. Warren Buffet doesn't flash it around. I'm not sure if Jimmy Buffet does...
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #132
Koz

Yeah, and look at the investors who are now suing Thow. You couldn't pick them out as millionaires even if you tried.

Whenever I see these 20-somethings driving around in their Envoys or Yukons with $15,000 rims and $5,000 of stereo equipment I can't help but think about all that debt they've encrued. Ouch. But then again they always have a hot blonde lass sitting next to them...

I live by the mantra that the rich pay less and the poor pay more:

Poor guy goes in to buy a Benz, he'll slap on an extra $6000 through interest. A rich guy will come with cash and barter a deal that will save him $6000. Two identical cars, $12,000 apart

Last edited by Koz; July 14th, 2005 at 08:42 PM.
Koz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #133
VicHockeyFan

^ Thow ain't the most attractive guy, either..... but his current g/f is hot, you and I know her cousin's ex, I know her cousin, BTW....
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #134
Koz

Hmm...you don't say...
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #135
VicHockeyFan

^ Whoops, double post.

Anywho..... I'm gonna go for a little walk today, check out the Wave, I'll snap a photo of Corazon too, its lookin' good.
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #136
VicHockeyFan

Good, its about time someone took over this shitty little route and made something of it* (*although I'd rather see it gone altogether).... the stupidest thing right now is that the run closes down for an 1-1/2 or so for lunch in the middle of the day.. union rules I guess.... From Monday Mag:

American company eyes ferry route

A public meeting organized this week by community members wanting to save the Mill Bay to Brentwood Bay ferry route heard that not only is B.C. Ferry Services Inc. preparing to take bids from private contractors to run the route, but there is at least one company interested.
Make no mistake," David Gray, a B.C. Ferry and Marine Workers' Union representative, told the meeting. There's a company that's interested in running this route, and it's an American company."
Gray has been working on the Save Our Ferries campaign for over a year. He was invited to last week's meeting as a resource. A few weeks earlier, on June 15, he'd attended a closed meeting for private ferry operators in Vancouver, hosted by ferry commissioner Martin Crilly. He was allowed to attend only after agreeing not to talk about what happened there, he says, unless a company explicitly said it didn't mind information being shared.
One company that didn't mind going public was Seattle-based Clipper Navigation Inc., he says, and they identified the Mill Bay-Brentwood Bay route as one they'd like to run.
The company's representative at the June meeting was their executive vice-president and general manager Darrell Bryan. He confirms that the company and two partners would like to run the route, as well as one serving Powell River. I'm not concerned about any comments I make being disclosed to anybody. There was no big conspiracy thing or anything."
The coastal ferry act requires BC Ferries to put routes out for competitive bids. If there was a consensus at this week's community meeting, it was best expressed by organizer Pam Alcorn who says, It's become clear through our voyage of discovery that the problem lay with the legislation itself."
When the Liberals passed the act in 2003 they had a huge majority, pointed out a member of the audience. He adds, I think we may find that people like Murray Coell and Ida Chong and a lot of other Liberal MLAs may agree to pull it back."
-A.M.

Quote:
Make no mistake," David Gray, a B.C. Ferry and Marine Workers' Union representative, told the meeting. There's a company that's interested in running this route, and it's an American company."

Ooooohhh, the big scary American company line... I don't think anyone around here is afraid of Clipper Navigation, the company that is singularly responsible for bringing in millions of US tourist dollars to our city every year....

Last edited by VicHockeyFan; July 14th, 2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #137
VicHockeyFan

^ Further, If Clipper runs the thing, I can see some great possibilities... can busses fit on that thing? They could do a Butchart Gardens/Butterfly World/Church & State Winery & Vineyards >>>- Malahat Summit tour.... Drop of the peeps at Butchart, and pick up the next group to take them over to the Malahat..
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #138
Koz

Next step, privatize the subsidized routes serving Salt Spring and other small islands.
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #139
Guerrero

If they are smart they will get rid of the ancient ferry that they have there now, get something can load and unload fast with a large capacity and actually moves quickly across the Arm. That way people might actually use the service rather than driving over the Malahat. Personally I was all for the bridge that was to go across the straight, the malahat slaughter would have been solved forever.
Guerrero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #140
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 20

there was supposed to be a bridge? that would be soo cool. i was thinking about why they didn't do it. well, the malahat isn't the worst highway that i've been on, but people don't drive it properly going way to fast on it.
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote