search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia

British Columbia Includes Vancouver

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #61
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Likes (Received): 571

I would really like anyone who wants to to complete this survey . Right now a lot of projects are beeing looked at because Nimbies are calling them bad .
Help us folks in Kamloops out http://www.kamloops.ca/survey/index.html

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #62
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Kamloops defies national trends
Real-estate demand in Kamloops continues to skyrocket, despite a national trend showing a decline in housing starts.
Last month, the number of single-detached and multiple-family housing starts in Kamloops jumped 40 per cent from April 2005.
"We have seen the cost of labour and materials go up quite sharply and the cost of building lots have gone up," said Paul Fabri, a market analyst with Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.
"All the fundamentals that are driving housing in B.C. are very positive."
Nationally, housing starts have fallen 13 per cent, seeing drops in every province, with only modest declines in B.C. at 2.3 per cent.
Fabri said it is hard to say when Kamloops and B.C. will align themselves with the rest of the country, but he predicts a strong housing market well into 2006.
"But I don't want to overstate that," he said.
"I think it is going to be strong, but I do think we will see it begin to flatten out."
Donna McMillan, a realtor with Realty Executives, said despite the growing market, Kamloops is still an affordable place to buy a home in B.C.
She said housing costs in Kamloops have not caught up with the rest of the province, where costs have hit record highs.
But she isn't under any illusions that the rising real estate market will last forever.
"If you look at graphs from the last 20 years, back in the 1980s it just dropped all of the sudden," she said. "What goes up must come down."
In the first four months of 2006, housing starts in Kamloops have increased 81 per cent over the same time period in 2005. The city saw 40 new single-detached units and 52 multiple-dwelling units since January.
Nationally, overall housing starts in April dropped to 218,000 units, down from 251,700 from the previous month. Quebec and the Prairies saw the biggest drop in housing starts, down 24.7 per cent and 20 per cent respectively.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #63
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Airport numbers rise

Kamloops Airport saw 10 per cent more travellers in April than during the same month last year.
In April, 12,200 people used Kamloops Airport in their travel plans, an increase of 1,075 travellers over April 2005, when 11,125 people used the facility. Airport manager Fred Legace said that, although a significant portion of the increase in travel activity is indicative of the continuing economic activity in the region, it also includes a degree of additional capacity with the Air Canada Jazz fleet.
There were more aircraft of the larger size compared to April 2005.
Meanwhile, the roadway and parking lot lighting upgrade project is near completion and people visiting Kamloops Airport in the darkness can expect a brighter welcome and be seen easier. The $184,000 project was funded by the Kamloops Airport Authority Society.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:21 AM   #64
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

21 story condo in Kamloops comming soon !

Culos developments just announced they are building 4 , five story condos and a 21 story condo in Kamloops ASAP !!!! when I get more I will post more !
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:24 AM   #65
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

SOME SHOTS I TOOK TODAY AROUND TOWN !!!

TAKEN AT SUN RIVERS ( Kamloops indian band ) .

\

Last edited by Rhino; May 23rd, 2006 at 02:03 AM.
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:58 AM   #66
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

T.R.U. area taken today

and some one made this , standing on Campus grounds ( thought it was neat )
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:54 AM   #67
*Jarrod
....kay?

Likes (Received): 20

^That's really creepy Makes me sad

Anyway, Kamloops seems to be booming eh? Pretty spiffy!
*Jarrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:51 PM   #68
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

yep good times ahead. I will be posting many other location in Kamloops soon , as yesterday was my first real oppertunity to take decent pics.
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #69
Trey
Mr. Anderson

Likes (Received): 0

for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino
Culos developments just announced they are building 4 , five story condos and a 21 story condo in Kamloops ASAP !!!! when I get more I will post more !

I heard that they may be building it. They still have to go through a bunch of stuff like paper work, a public hearing, and to see if that property can even hold the weight of a 21 storey structure. I could almost see it not being built to tell you the truth. besides that does anyone know anything about that hotel project that they are starting on in northshore kamloops across from northills mall?
Trey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #70
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

I have a contact at City hall , he said that the Geo testing is done and the area can support a building that size.

The hotel will be changed and down scaled as Ive been told by Dave Freeman ( city of Kamloops) . Originally they were pushing for 2/ 10 story towers but the owner of the land said no . Now it will include condos , and townhouses as well as new comercial and office space.
I also spoke to the manager at Walmart and he said " by 2008 , there will be a second walmart in Kamloops " . that is great news, by the way nice to see another person from Kamloops here !
Old May 29th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #71
Trey
Mr. Anderson

not much left

I figured that they would have actually decided to build up for once with that new hotel project. Turns out according to what you have just told me, again they are not going to expand up but out instead. I ve been on the north shore ( Brock actually) my whole life and i was amazed when they actually built something over 4 storeys tall (new retirement home) in that area. I did that survey that the city had going for the north shore and i even put down that with limited space on the north shore, wouldn't it be wise to grow up instead of out? seems to make sense doesn't it?
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #72
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

The hotel and office building is supposed to be betweeen 4-6 stories , so it could be worse.

I also did the survey and said the same thing in the comment section .
" a city that contains only about 88,000 people and to drive from one end to the other takes over an hour"? ( Black pool - River shore ) . Thats an issue . We are the appidimy of spawl . But I do think that will change . I have heard rumors of a tower beeing built where the old Sun Country Toyota was , climbing to a nice 15-19 stories. We will see though . The hotel by the River project is dead to I guess. We do have to look forward to the YMCA project and 2 towers down town though .

Last edited by Rhino; May 29th, 2006 at 07:59 PM.
Rhino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #73
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Wildlife park opens $3.2M cornerstone attraction
The B.C. Wildlife Park officially opened the cornerstone of its New Vision Thursday, the $3.2-million Discovery Centre.

As a crowd of dignitaries and supporters listened, park manager Rob Purdy and president Mary Ann Milobar spoke of the facility as the first step toward the park’s future as a premier zoological facility in the province.

“This is really just a tremendously exciting day for us at the park,” Milobar said.

She credited the City of Kamloops for making the initial grant of $1.2 million.

“We fully realize that without that founding support from the City of Kamloops the rest of the investment would not have happened.”

An additional $2 million from the Canada British Columbia Infrastructure Program enabled the project to proceed. The building was completed on time and on budget, no minor accomplishment during a construction boom, Milobar noted.

It is now in the final stages of display completion with a public opening set for June 4, Purdy said.

Several speakers, including local MLAs, noted the importance of the park’s New Vision to regional tourism in that it will encourage highway visitors to stop over.

As the entry point for the park the centre contains the B.C. Adventure Gallery, filled with interactive displays that examine the province’s five main habitats — rain forest, mountain, Interior Plateau, grassland and boreal forest. Wildlife, such as a burrowing owl representing the park’s ongoing captive breeding project, is incorporated behind glass.

The new Great Blue Heron Café was named after a glass etching donated to the facility by local artist Chuck St. John. A new gift shop, Naturally Yours, features the work of local artisans.

The Exploration Corner, funded by the Ministry of Environment, is set aside for wildlife encounters led by park interpreters. The ministry and park have signed a 10-year partnership agreement to co-operate in wildlife interpretation and promoting sustainable living.

Purdy quoted E.O. Wilson, a leading U.S. scientist, who wrote that “the challenge of the current century is how we’re going to achieve a sustainable society.”

Wilson has written that the planet benefits from species diversity, with more emerging than disappearing over the geological time scale.

“There is now twice the species diversity than we’ve had over the past 450 million years. He points out, though, that in the next 45 years we will be faced with some massive extinctions. One of the exciting things about the B.C. Wildlife Park is being a forum to talk about just that.”
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #74
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

New Y boss foresees growth

DAVE EAGLES/KTW

Colin Reid, the new chief executive officer of the Kamloops YMCA-YWCA, expects to see the downtown YMCA facility grow, both in membership and actual building size.

He's only been here three months and already, Colin Reid's got some big ideas for the Kamloops YMCA-YWCA.

The new CEO, a veteran in public recreation and YMCA-YWCA work, said in his experience, the Kamloops facility is the smallest of all Y facilities in the province.

"If you were going to build a new Y in a community this size today, we'd have a building that would be two to three times the size of the current building and would serve between 50 and 100 per cent more people," said Reid.

Which is exactly the road he wants to go down, one way or another.

Growth is his strategy for the future and he has been exploring a number of options he inherited with the job.

The expansion of the downtown facility through the redevelopment of the 400-block of Battle and St. Paul streets is the No. 1 option.

Discussions are underway with property owners about possible redevelopment, which, if approved, would take several years to complete and millions of dollars to finance.

In the event that option fails, Reid said the existing facility could be modernized or satellite operations could be added throughout the community as needed.

"The Kamloops Y has to grow to service the growing needs of the community and we've got some exciting ideas on some things, but not on all things," he said.

Two that are certain are the newly acquired residential camp at Deka Lake in the Cariboo and the continued support of children's services.

The Y provides a number of services involving children, particularly through the Child-Care Resource and Referral Centre.

Camp Deka is replacing the aged Camp Chemo. It opens July 10.

"The main focus of the Y is fitness, health and recreation, and we serve a high volume of people in that area and our goal is to serve more - that's the bottom line," said Reid.

The Kamloops Y serves approximately 6,000 members at two sites and he wants to increase that number by 1,000 to 1,500 in the next year.

Hailing from Prince George, he said he is settling into the south nicely and is looking forward to the seasonal activities Kamloops has to offer.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #75
Trey
Mr. Anderson

I work in construction and such so i follow what goes on in the city. you seem to do they same judging by all the posts you have and what you have put on this thread alone. I remember how the city was stoked on that water front hotel project and how it crumbled because of the cost of the pilings to pound in the ground. It was unfortunate that we lost that hotel project, it would have been a great asset to the downtown in my opinion.

ps, Have you seen that new project that PCL is doing At TRU? i saw a smaller crane set up behind the new addition on the aquatics center and im curious as to what they are building, thanks

Last edited by Trey; December 29th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #76
Trey
Mr. Anderson

I thought PHI owns the land on the north shore. i remember hearing that they bought it like 6 months ago
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #77
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Hmm , I did not know that .
All I know is that its nice to see equipment on site finally & they are doing somthing to boot. Kamloops is really doing well with the infill approach , soon there will be no vacant spot's and we will have to go up !
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #78
Trey
Mr. Anderson

yeah id have to agree with the space running out. all the empty lots in brock that were once orchards are now turning into subdivisions and all the land that has been set aside for construction in batch is all spoken for it looks like.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #79
Rhino
The Tropics of Canada

Quote:
ps, Have you seen that new project that PCL is doing At TRU? i saw a smaller crane set up behind the new addition on the aquatics center and im curious as to what they are building, thanks
Yes I have , ( sorry I must have missed your post ) .
I dont know what it is , but a crane like that is only brought in for something that will be above 4 stories . SO , I have no clue what it is .
I will how ever get a pic of it soon , so that we may Scutinize .
did I mention how much better it is to have a Kamloops person here on this thread if you can tell by the post's .... Its been almost all a solo job .
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:05 AM   #80
Trey
Mr. Anderson

I wandered into this site about 2 weeks ago when i was trying to figure out if that battle street project was actually going to happen this year. I read through everything in western canada and came across your posts and your threads.
Since they built that large tower at TRU, ive been paying more attention to construction around the city to see if it was possible for kamloops to build one or two high rises a year like our rival city does. So far they are talking about that 21 storey high rise at the corner of mcgill and summit, that 8 storey building downtown where jade garden currently is, that 15-19 storey high rise where the old dealership is and battle street...thats a lot of projects in one year.
Now, if they actually start on any of them..or better yet all of them that would boost the economy like crazy and i bet we would break over $200 million in construction again this year.
I tried to get a good picture of that PCL construction site behind the aquatics center but it was too dark and it looked crappy through my windshield and i have no idea how to upload pics on here, or else id be uploading like the way you do.