search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #281
IU
->
 
IU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hanooz Dilli dur ast
Posts: 10,544

I called up MM1 yesterday. It appears that they've put a MMRDA babu to take all calls. I told him about the lack of updates on the metro website and the guy sounded content by saying they had updated it 3 months ago. On telling him that they still reflected updates from May he said "ok". I asked him when it'll be updated and he again said "ok".

Then he said it'll take some time to update it. I asked about the station designs and he confirmed that they will all be designed by architects through design competitions.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #282
bhargavsura
Registered User
 
bhargavsura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,653

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
I called up MM1 yesterday. It appears that they've put a MMRDA babu to take all calls. I told him about the lack of updates on the metro website and the guy sounded content by saying they had updated it 3 months ago. On telling him that they still reflected updates from May he said "ok". I asked him when it'll be updated and he again said "ok".

Then he said it'll take some time to update it. I asked about the station designs and he confirmed that they will all be designed by architects through design competitions.
hahaha... Babus handling office works...

Thanks IU once again!!!! Awesome work...

Hopefully the pictures are uploaded soon on the website... I will try to email them and find out about it.
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #283
bhargavsura
Registered User
 
bhargavsura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,653

yes... the last time this website was update was way back in May.. (around May 26) last year.... I sent them email.. hopefully they will respond to both of it (the phone and the email) quickly and do the much needed work asap..
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #284
qwertyasd
India Waiting
 
qwertyasd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mum-Bay Area
Posts: 929
Likes (Received): 2

Good work IU.. Hoping to see more from you.
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #285
bhargavsura
Registered User
 
bhargavsura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,653

this is what the I got reply from MM1:

Quote:
I am K P Maheshwari Director of the Company.

I am sorry for what has happened. The website is being updated. In future, pl. also note the name of the person with whom you have interacted in the company, This will help us streamline our working.

In case any information is reqd., pl. also visit our Public Information Centre at Sakinaka.

Regards

KP
I guess the mail was forwarded to Reliance ADA!!!! coz the main mail to MM1 bounced back.
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #286
LondonLASanFrancisco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 14
Likes (Received): 0

Reply To Director MM1 Apology

Dear All,
As per The Right To Infomation act we can demand these details.
As this PPP Project, public has all rights to know the utilisation of the Funds and actual progress/details of the project.
Here our request is not to get any material benefits but anxiety to know the truth.
Even if our material benefit is the fulfilment of the project is our aim.
This is no crime as this is our right.
Anyway Mr. Maheshwari,
Thanks for your info and may pls provide regular updates on website.
Regards



Quote:
Originally Posted by mhp View Post
here you go.. There has been no other major construction related news since the first ceremonial dig..

Simplex Infrastructures Ltd., one of India’s leading infrastructure solutions providers, today, announced bagging of the first phase of the Mumbai Metro order with the contract value of Rs. 406 crore. The order involves civil construction of 10.7 km long Viaduct on the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar elevated corridor for the Mumbai MRTS Project. It is executable over 22 months.

Read entire article here
LondonLASanFrancisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #287
SarafIndian
Registered User
 
SarafIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Backroads
Posts: 4,316
Likes (Received): 154

Woh!! Simplex means Simplex Infrastructure, right? They have their head office in Kolkata. This is their website:

http://www.simplexprojects.com/

And their address is:
Registered Office :
12/1, Nellie Sengupta Sarani, KOLKATA-700 087
Ph : 91-33-2252 7231/32
Fax : 91-33-2252 8013

E-mail :
[email protected]
SarafIndian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #288
mhp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 126
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarafIndian View Post
Yup thats what it looks like. This is sub-contract just for the viaduct construction. and from Simplex's website it looks like that is what they do.
mhp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #289
bhargavsura
Registered User
 
bhargavsura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,653

Hopefully people, we will see the updates on Mumbai Metro very soon!!!

keeping the fingers crossed!!!
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM   #290
axw11
axw11.wordpress.com
 
axw11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bombay/NY
Posts: 166
Likes (Received): 0

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-n...-built/275798/

Quote:
Constructing a 233-metre concrete bridge 17 metres above the ground with crush-packed local trains zipping past down below; constructing a viaduct at 7 metres above the Andheri flyover on Western Express Highway—that’s a sampling of the engineering challenges whose high-precision solutions are getting fine-tuned in the office of the Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd.

That’s why, K P Maheshwari, director of the special purpose vehicle building the financial capital’s first Metro Rail corridor from Versova though Andheri to Ghatkopar, is weary of questions on why there’s no “visible” progress.

Mumbai’s much-awaited first Metro Rail corridor, a 11.4-km stretch, is to be built at a cost of Rs 2,356 crore. At Rs 206 crore per km, that’s almost twice Delhi Metro’s average elevated rail cost per kilometre in Phase 1, owing mostly to the constraints unique to Mumbai.

And among the most daunting of these challenges will be a cantilever bridge spanning 98 metres across busy railway tracks at Andheri—balanced on a pier on either side of the tracks.

These two piers will themselves be tricky to build since the area outside the railway stations, especially on the western side, comprises narrow lanes with small buildings packed in tight, and movement through the crowds laborious. In fact, the pier on the western side of the tracks is located right outside a religious place. “We have designed the entire alignment of the bridge without touching any building between the tracks and SV Road,” says Maheshwari.

Once the piers are erected, all commuters will see is the bridge progressing segment by segment from either pier, each box-shaped segment stressed to the earlier one with high-tensile steel cables and simultaneously stressed vertically to the pier to avoid any accidents.

There is more. The box segments for the concrete bridge are each 6 metres tall, while the multi-axle trailer they will be transported on has a bed height of 1.2 metres. Ferrying such tall segments from Wadala to Andheri, a distance of 18 km in Mumbai’s traffic, will be a challenge on its own. “We’ll be casting the top bracket-shaped portions of these segments in situ,” says Maheshwari. “It’s not possible to cart anything taller than 6 metres on the trailers.”

Also at Andheri, another huge challenge will be a complex four-level station for passengers to reach the platform that will be over 20 metres above the ground—the metro route crosses the Jog flyover seven metres above it, 21 metres off the ground.

For now, what’s visible along the route is a series of piles being constructed for load-testing. To assess foundation strength, piles 1 metre in diameter will be tested with a 1,100 tonne-load. One test per kilometre is the norm, but “we’re doing additional tests where soil strata changes abruptly” according to Maheshwari. With a 28-day period for each pile to strengthen, the tests will be complete in a month.

Simultaneously, at Wadala, work is underway on a casting yard where the ground is being reinforced to bear the weight of concrete girders and heavy custom-made gantries. Drains to assist the curing of concrete and internal roads come next.

Other departments are placing orders fast: Barricades, each weighing 250 kg, to be screwed into the ground; equipment, long-lead items like customised gantries and precise calculations for qualified, experienced labour. The speed of work is indicative of the company’s aggressive completion schedule. Maheshwari says: “Civil works for the viaduct and 12 stations will be complete in 20 months.”

A Global Touch
* Detailed designs for all 12 stations are now getting the final nods. The company appointed Townland from Hong Kong, an architectural design firm that’s designed several metro rail stations globally. Their designs are being married with those of Project Management Consultant Parsons and Brinckerhoff (USA) and Systra (France). Decades ago, P&B built the world’s first metro line, in New York
* A traffic management study by MVA, a sister-firm of Systra, is ready. It includes detailed plans for diversions, for public transport, for two-wheelers, etc. BEST buses will be least affected, the company promises.
axw11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:13 AM   #291
IU
->
 
IU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hanooz Dilli dur ast
Posts: 10,544

Finally we have some images from the construction site!

Precision Engineering of a Railway
How country’s most expensive elevated Metro rail corridor will be built



Quote:
Constructing a 233-metre concrete bridge 17 metres above the ground with crush-packed local trains zipping past down below; constructing a viaduct at 7 metres above the Andheri flyover on Western Express Highway—that’s a sampling of the engineering challenges whose high-precision solutions are getting fine-tuned in the office of the Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd.

That’s why, K P Maheshwari, director of the special purpose vehicle building the financial capital’s first Metro Rail corridor from Versova though Andheri to Ghatkopar, is weary of questions on why there’s no “visible” progress.

Mumbai’s much-awaited first Metro Rail corridor, a 11.4-km stretch, is to be built at a cost of Rs 2,356 crore. At Rs 206 crore per km, that’s almost twice Delhi Metro’s average elevated rail cost per kilometre in Phase 1, owing mostly to the constraints unique to Mumbai.

And among the most daunting of these challenges will be a cantilever bridge spanning 98 metres across busy railway tracks at Andheri—balanced on a pier on either side of the tracks.

These two piers will themselves be tricky to build since the area outside the railway stations, especially on the western side, comprises narrow lanes with small buildings packed in tight, and movement through the crowds laborious. In fact, the pier on the western side of the tracks is located right outside a religious place. “We have designed the entire alignment of the bridge without touching any building between the tracks and SV Road,” says Maheshwari.

Once the piers are erected, all commuters will see is the bridge progressing segment by segment from either pier, each box-shaped segment stressed to the earlier one with high-tensile steel cables and simultaneously stressed vertically to the pier to avoid any accidents.

There is more. The box segments for the concrete bridge are each 6 metres tall, while the multi-axle trailer they will be transported on has a bed height of 1.2 metres. Ferrying such tall segments from Wadala to Andheri, a distance of 18 km in Mumbai’s traffic, will be a challenge on its own. “We’ll be casting the top bracket-shaped portions of these segments in situ,” says Maheshwari. “It’s not possible to cart anything taller than 6 metres on the trailers.”

Also at Andheri, another huge challenge will be a complex four-level station for passengers to reach the platform that will be over 20 metres above the ground—the metro route crosses the Jog flyover seven metres above it, 21 metres off the ground.

For now, what’s visible along the route is a series of piles being constructed for load-testing. To assess foundation strength, piles 1 metre in diameter will be tested with a 1,100 tonne-load. One test per kilometre is the norm, but “we’re doing additional tests where soil strata changes abruptly” according to Maheshwari. With a 28-day period for each pile to strengthen, the tests will be complete in a month.

Simultaneously, at Wadala, work is underway on a casting yard where the ground is being reinforced to bear the weight of concrete girders and heavy custom-made gantries. Drains to assist the curing of concrete and internal roads come next.

Other departments are placing orders fast: Barricades, each weighing 250 kg, to be screwed into the ground; equipment, long-lead items like customised gantries and precise calculations for qualified, experienced labour. The speed of work is indicative of the company’s aggressive completion schedule. Maheshwari says: “Civil works for the viaduct and 12 stations will be complete in 20 months.”

A Global Touch
  • Detailed designs for all 12 stations are now getting the final nods. The company appointed Townland from Hong Kong, an architectural design firm that’s designed several metro rail stations globally. Their designs are being married with those of Project Management Consultant Parsons and Brinckerhoff (USA) and Systra (France). Decades ago, P&B built the world’s first metro line, in New York
  • A traffic management study by MVA, a sister-firm of Systra, is ready. It includes detailed plans for diversions, for public transport, for two-wheelers, etc. BEST buses will be least affected, the company promises.




[ExpressIndia]
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:25 AM   #292
JD
BANNED
 
JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 1,170
Likes (Received): 3

Any renderings of stations?
JD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:42 AM   #293
Bombay Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,611
Likes (Received): 12

"Decades ago, P&B built the world’s first metro line, in New York"

what?!?
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM   #294
IU
->
 
IU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hanooz Dilli dur ast
Posts: 10,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Any renderings of stations?
nope. As the article says "Detailed designs for all 12 stations are now getting the final nods."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy View Post
"Decades ago, P&B built the world’s first metro line, in New York"

what?!?
it's written by another one of those journalists. Sigh. PB just designed it.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM   #295
luvBlore
Registered User
 
luvBlore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 364
Likes (Received): 0

Mumbai will have peachy station renders....something out of world...expectations are too much or it will be as usual ?
luvBlore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #296
Bombay Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,611
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
it's written by another one of those journalists. Sigh. PB just designed it.
besides not being the first
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #297
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai
 
mumbairail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai, Toronto & New York
Posts: 155
Likes (Received): 0

Station design competition

I had read earlier that there will be a station design competition. This Hong Kong firm Townland was the winner in this competition?

Detailed designs for all 12 stations are now getting the final nods. The company appointed Townland from Hong Kong, an architectural design firm that’s designed several metro rail stations globally. Their designs are being married with those of Project Management Consultant Parsons and Brinckerhoff (USA) and Systra (France). Decades ago, P&B built the world’s first metro line, in New York

http://www.townland.com/index.htm
I checked the Townland website and there was no information available on Mumbai Metro railway

Last edited by mumbairail; February 22nd, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
mumbairail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM   #298
bhargavsura
Registered User
 
bhargavsura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,653

Thanks IU for the excellent updates and pictures!!!

Good catch up with the MM1 people.
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM   #299
qwertyasd
India Waiting
 
qwertyasd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mum-Bay Area
Posts: 929
Likes (Received): 2

Good Job IU
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #300
Illusionist
India under construction.
 
Illusionist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: All
Posts: 4,792
Likes (Received): 1539

how can they start construction before knowing the designs??
__________________
Citizen Reporter Jaipur
Illusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
mumbai

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu