search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #321
bhargavsura

Everytime, there is someone who have problems.
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #322
KB335ci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Sure. It's the megapolis of Bombay we're talking about. I'm all for the expansion of metro one, but think of the people who're going to be displaced?? I mean, think of yourself in the position of the displaced. How would you like it if the city asks you to move from a place/plot that is rightfully yours? I have a friend who lives in Andheri (E) - not in a slum, but a legal high rise, where he was raised, and has been living in it for the past 22 years. He mentioned that they had been served a notice by the authority in-charge, and now they're protesting it. I'm not saying that these obstacles should hold back the development of the city, but we're talking widespread displacement here. OF COURSE THERE ARE GOING TO BE PROBLEMS...LOTS OF THEM!
KB335ci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #323
qwertyasd
India Waiting

I agree. It is very difficult especially if you are not paid the market rates/not given space close to the previous home. I understand going underground is costlier but in such dense urban areas, i feel that is the best option in terms of timely completion of project. Project delays due to rehab inevitably inflate the cost of the project!
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #324
bhargavsura

so what should happen? The government should agree into the grievances of the people and not go ahead with the Metro? There should be solution. If the government pays more of equal of the amount of the property they own and then they can move to some other place, then it sounds a fair deal. But if Metro has to be constructed then displacement of this people is necessary.
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #325
KB335ci
BANNED

The situation is much more complex than giving people compensation (fair or unfair amount), and moving them to "some other place". The only other places that the displaced can be relocated to WILL be far flung, and distant. There is NO way they can be moved to other places in an already fully built-up neighbourhood, unless God (not sayin' which one) himself intervened. I agree with qwertyasd about having to take this underground, to facilitate quick, and non-disruptive construction (cost-permitting, of course).
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #326
bhargavsura

Well..

There you go, there's other solution, going underground.
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #327
KB335ci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavsura View Post
Well..

There you go, there's other solution, going underground.
I'm sure the planning department thought of that. THEY MUST HAVE GOOD REASON NOT TO.
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #328
bhargavsura

May be it might the cost of construction or something else involved in it. But if they would do it, it could have been a better idea. Actually I think the entire metro should have been underground so that these people would have had no problem of moving around people and at the same times the development would have been continued on the land!
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #329
senthil1409

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I agree. It is very difficult especially if you are not paid the market rates/not given space close to the previous home. I understand going underground is costlier but in such dense urban areas, i feel that is the best option in terms of timely completion of project. Project delays due to rehab inevitably inflate the cost of the project!
Rightly said quertyasd. Even for people living in slums, they have called the place home for a very long time. We all know how well the rehabilitation of slum dwellers happen. I can understand why they are always wary about any plan to evict them. If that is the case, people who have been living legally for years, should not be forced to move out of their homes. MM would be better off going underground rather than getting mired in legal hassles for the next million years.
senthil1409 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #330
axw11
axw11.wordpress.com

Likes (Received): 0

With all the water that gets flooded during monsoons, dunno if going underground would be good !!!
axw11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #331
qwertyasd
India Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by axw11 View Post
With all the water that gets flooded during monsoons, dunno if going underground would be good !!!

If they can build underground in colaba, i am sure they can do that in andheri-ghatkopar sector!
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #332
jubin
chembur ka chokra

uni reports: Mumbai Metro in 30 months?

Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd Director, K P Maheshwari on Wednesday announced in Mumbai that the city's first metro project between Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar will be commissioned in 30 months instead of the stipulated 60 months.

The company, formed by a Reliance Energy-led consortium, began work at J B Nagar on February 8. ''Provided all other things are in place, we should be able to deliver the project in 30 months,'' Maheshwari said in a statement.

http://us.rediff.com/money/2008/feb/27metro.htm
jubin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #333
bhargavsura

Jubin, was just going to post the same news. Anyways, welcome to SSC. Here's the detailed news from Rediff.com

Quote:
Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd Director, K P Maheshwari on Wednesday announced in Mumbai that the city's first metro project between Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar will be commissioned in 30 months instead of the stipulated 60 months.

The company, formed by a Reliance Energy-led consortium, began work at J B Nagar on February 8. ''Provided all other things are in place, we should be able to deliver the project in 30 months,'' Maheshwari said in a statement.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) is sorting out issues related to the handing over of certain right-of-ways and land at D N Nagar for a Metro depot.

Conceding that meeting its self-imposed target would be a tall order, Maheshwari said, the company was nevertheless confident of achieving it. ''We have a wealth of experience and expertise,'' he observed. ''The idea is to deliver the Metro to the people at the earliest and provide an early relief to their commuting woes.

Instead of the 45 days commonly given to contractors to begin work, Mumbai Metro has given its contractor for viaducts, Simplex Infrastructure, only 10 days after approval,'' Maheshwari said.

The Director stressed at the same time, however, that no compromise whatsoever will be made on the quality or the safety in the construction of the Rs 2,356 crore (Rs 23.56 billion) project to meet the deadline.

The project promoters are hopeful of meeting the deadline in spite of huge engineering challenges such as sharp turns and constraints such as ceaseless traffic, and some permanent structures along the route.

''Expediting will involve no compromise on quality. In fact, we're picking our way about with great caution,'' he said. Apart from using state-of-the-art technology at all levels, ''over-arching safeguards'' are being put in place, Maheshwari said.

To ensure that underground pipelines and cables utilities are not disturbed by the piling work undertaken to lay the foundation of the Metro, the company has approached all utilities such as BEST, BMC, MGL, MTNL [Get Quote], Reliance Energy [Get Quote] and Tata Power [Get Quote], to prepare maps.

After receiving mapping data from the utilities, the company has further used Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) systems, which uses electro-magnetic waves through the grounds for identification of cables and pipes.

In keeping with internationally accepted standards, test piles will be placed at every one km before actual piling. ''Since Mumbai has poor quality soil, we have to be very particular. The test pile is given 28 days to withstand a load that is 300 per cent higher than the actual load envisaged. In the rare case a test pile fails the test, then we increase the pile length and socketing that, drill the rock deeper,'' said Maheshwari.

UNI
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #334
jubin
chembur ka chokra

thanks mate. i tried to follow the sticky on how to quote news stories (one para and the link). anyways, glad that your reply is post #666 for you. the devil,they say is in the details ;-)
jubin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #335
IU
->

I've started a thread on the Mumbai Metro in the Subways and Urban Transport forums-

Mumbai Metro

Please don't just post any news that gets reported over here at SSCi or on news website. Only if it's really important news then post it there

Also note that MM1's website is being updated right now. They've put up a "This website is being updated" text scrolling on the main page.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #336
bhargavsura

Yup. I saw that scrolling marque.
Hey, will the thread have pictures that will be the same in this thread or will they have different and some more?
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #337
dreadathecontrols
unregistered

Likes (Received): 44

why does c***a buld metros in 2 years but india cant? Well India did in dehli but i take your point.Folk say the answer is not to be found on this forum.But at government level?
Why has c***a gone from nowhere to where it is now in 20 years and india wont? (compare c***a 1985- 2005 & India 1995 - 2015)
The answer is indeed on this forum & in the hearts & minds of all on this forum & those in India not on this forum.
As others have said on SSCI in the past ,
'one gets the governments one deserves'

Last edited by dreadathecontrols; February 28th, 2008 at 05:50 AM.
dreadathecontrols no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #338
bhargavsura

Good one.
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #339
qwertyasd
India Waiting

we have got the better govt - the one with democracy, freedom of speech, pluralism - Agreed it is much slower in implementation but the will of the people forces it to change - in the long run we will be in much better condition - you people will see.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #340
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 12

long run? when we die? what matters is the now, the future no one knows

anyways lets not derail this thread
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai