search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM   #361
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai

Likes (Received): 0

Mumbai metro stations - Good or bad design?

I am a guy from Mumbai and so love this city with passion and this is my heart speaking. I believe Mumbai deserves the best. I am sure this new mumbai metro will be an integrated metro railway system with feeder buses, connectivity with other means of transportation, parking facilities for cars and integrated fare system. But were we lack is architectural design, the station concepts and renderings are very ugly. I know they haven't decided on the stations yet. So, I request all mumbaikars to appeal to Mumbai Metro One and Reliance to come up with better looking stations. I am going to email them as well. Check out the bangalore stations. Bangalore had a station design cometition as well. There stations look far better. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=486234.
I believe proper metro railway planning comes first and then how the stations look. But a futuristic looking station which is attractive is important as well. I think we lack some vision in this area. We need change. What do you people think? I am all up for spending more on good looking stations! The "cool factor" really helps in bringing/ attracting more passengers/commuters (to a good extent).
My favourite railway stations are:
Germany's Lehrter Bahnhof
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=354745
Dubai's metro railway stations
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=451426&page=2
Italy high speed railway stations
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=425631

Last edited by mumbairail; March 3rd, 2008 at 11:03 PM.
mumbairail no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM   #362
qwertyasd
India Waiting

Likes (Received): 2

good thing construction has visibly started!
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #363
KB335ci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbairail View Post
I believe Mumbai deserves the best.... But were we lack is architectural design, the station concepts and renderings are very ugly. I know they haven't decided on the stations yet. So, I request all mumbaikars to appeal to Mumbai Metro One and Reliance to come up with better looking stations. I am going to email them as well.... I am all up for spending more on good looking stations! The "cool factor" really helps in bringing/ attracting more passengers/commuters (to a good extent).
Spot on! We need professionals with experience - Architectural aesthetic is something that some designers lack - in PLENTY! I'm so mad at the renderings - they look ATROCIOUS! I have no words to describe them - no more than butt ugly! I am happy that you feel the same way. It is upto people like us, people who love our city more than anything else on Earth, to do what's right. They should have a design competition and publish the entries so that Bombayites can decide the stations' aesthetic for themselves...SO MAD, I CAN'T EVEN TELL YA! They've put CRAP on their website. A first year architecture student can design better than the rubbish we've seen so far. EMAILING MM NOW!
KB335ci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:36 PM   #364
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai

Mumbai metro stations - Good or bad design?

Thank you for your support KB335ci
I remember bhargavsura emailed them MM1 once and got a reply from the director Mr. Maheswari. Can we have that email address please. We will have to contact the top executives, the decision makers. Show them some photos of good modern stations like dubai metro railway, bangalore metro railway. I am sure we will be able to convince them. Mumbai is having a station design competition as well but if this is what the architects came up with, its really a shame. Reliance is promoting this as a world class metro railway. Lets help them to make it world class.

Thanks all
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #365
bhargavsura

sure people.

There you go.

[email protected]

Let's wait for the constructions to begin in full swing and lets wait for them to put up pillars for the elevated Metro track. I am sure they will bring out some renderings for the final metro station. So I think we should wait for some time and let some construction come up in a few months.
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #366
Luckystreak

Likes (Received): 18

Video:

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/60407/...ting-woes.html
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #367
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
that's pretty darn friendly. =] way to go mumbai!!
greeting from the philippines.
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #368
Unconsciousfocus

Mumbai Metro: An answer to commuting woes?

Quote:
by Prachi Jatania / CNN-IBN

Mumbai: Mumbai’s local trains will soon have a competitor.

The much-awaited Metro may be an answer to the city’s urban transport commuting woes.

A resident of Mumbai, Sangeeta Som is all set to go to work, but work means a daily 20-km toil. From Thane, the northern corner of Mumbai’s outskirts to stations beyond, her battle lasts for 50 minutes each day.
"If the Metro comes, I might be able to travel that much in five minutes,” says Sangeeta.

The three-phase Metro rail will snake across 40 km on the 14 km Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar route connecting Colaba-Mahim-Charkop in Phase two
It will also add a crucial link between Mahim-Bandra Kurla-Mankhurd on the eastern suburbs.
The Metro will drastically change the way half a million Mumbaikars travel from the daily grime of packed trains and buses to a swift, silent, air-conditioned mode of transport.
To run on elevated platforms cutting through dense traffic, Metro is a joint venture of Anil Ambani's Reliance and the Mumbai Metropolitan Authority.
The Rs 20,000 crore project is India's most expensive mass transit system, a breather, finally, for more than six million people who brave perhaps the country's worst urban transportation system.
"Metro will be comfortable, from 90 minutes to 21 minutes,” says director, Metro One, K P Maheshwari.

And Mumbai has Delhi showing the way where a 60 km Metro network is almost complete in record time. But it's not going to be easy.
"Delhi is circular and has wider roads, but Mumbai is congested and longitudinal,” says Maheshwari.
But Mumbai is the maximum city because it untiringly rises to challenges.
With civil work on line one already in progress, authorities are optimistic Mumbaikars could get to ride the Metro in 2011.
Video: http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/60407/...ting-woes.html
Unconsciousfocus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #369
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai

Mumbai metro stations good or bad design

Thanks Bhargavsura.

Bhargavsura, dont you think it will be late by then. Once the decision is made they are not going to go back on them and change them. I rather be early then be late.
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #370
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystreak View Post

there are so many fallacies in that news video

- Don't know where she got the 40kms figure from. VAG is 11kms and along with the other 2 proposed lines, the system in Phase I will be 60-65kms long.
- Line 2 will not touch Mahim, though the route map in the vid suggests it will.
- She says that Delhi's 60kms metro system is almost complete. au contraire, 65kms were completed back in 2006.

Anyways the last part of the video seems to be taken from an official MM1 video on the project. They show the metro passing over the Jog flyover on the WEH.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #371
bhargavsura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbairail View Post
Thanks Bhargavsura.

Bhargavsura, dont you think it will be late by then. Once the decision is made they are not going to go back on them and change them. I rather be early then be late.
Well

They won't come out with bad designs. I am sure that they will try to make their stations just like Delhi metro or even better then that. You can email him and find out about the updates in the designs.

Old March 6th, 2008, 07:15 AM   #372
dreadathecontrols
unregistered

Likes (Received): 44

'a little inconvenience for a world class mumbai.'Not apologetic.Not patronising.Not govenrment speak.Good on ya who ever came up with that.
Its a great hook line and sums up the exact mindset that WILL make mumbai into that city.
All good news.Cheers for more updates.
Irie
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #373
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai

Any updates on metro line/link to CSIA airport?
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #374
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Mumbai Mirror: Andheri shopkeepers plan stir over metro rail rehab plan

Quote:
Shopkeepers at Jay Prakash Road in Andheri (West), waiting for bulldozers to make way for the Versova-Andheri-Ghatkopar phase of the Metro Rail Project, are planning an agitation from March 11 to demand a clear picture from the government in its rehabilitation and resettlement policies.

Their grouse is that the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA has not given them a clear picture of the rehabilitation plan even though work has begun. They say they were promised space in a mall that was to be constructed at Andheri vegetable market but now the MMRDA is evading their queries.
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpa...1017707c859d80
jubin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #375
bhargavsura

Not everyone wants the Metro in Mumbai
Quote:
The news about a project to introduce a world-class metro service in Mumbai brought smiles on the faces of many a city's commuters. However, not everyone is so pleased about it.

The proposed metro service between Versova and Ghatkopar has shopkeepers in suburban Andheri upset. The plan, which is due for completion by December 2010, envisages the line to be laid on the land on which their shops are located.

In this regard, the local shopkeepers' association took out a protest march on Thursday and posted signs in their shops against the project.
http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/mar/06metro.htm
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #376
cptracker

Likes (Received): 70

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2846307.cms
Quote:
Maha CM displeased over delay in Metro project
7 Mar, 2008, 2135 hrs IST, PTI

MUMBAI: Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Friday expressed displeasure over delay in implementation of the Metro project, as no work has started yet.

Vilasrao Deshmukh said the much talked about Metro project is still on paper, and nothing in concrete.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) needs to speed up the work on Metro project so as to solve the traffic problem on city roads, the Chief Minsiter said, asking the authorities concerned to prepare a road map and work accordingly within the time limit.

A meeting held today at Mantralaya on the Metro project was attended by MMRDA Commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad, Chief Secretary Urban Development T C Benjamin, Secretary Special Projects Sanjay Ubale, chaired by Vilasrao Deshmukh.

Ratnakar Gaikwad presented a project for the third phase of the metro. He also suggested that the project should be completed by the Government instead of public-private partnership, said an official.

Gaikwad also assured that within year the work of Metro project phase one will start.

Gaikwad suggested few options to raise the funds for the project. One of them is to revamp the Government colony situated at Bandra spread over 125 acres of land.
cptracker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #377
IU
->

That article is seriously FUBAR!

What they were probably discussing was the masterplan of the system since they haven't really finalized the model of developing Line2 and Line3. By "metro project", Deshmukh probably meant the whole 146km planned system

Quote:
Gaikwad also assured that within year the work of Metro project phase one will start.
Don't know what he's smoking but you guys have pictures of construction (even though it was load testing) and soon will get images of barricaded roads which MM1 did on March1. I am trying to rope in some local folks who can provide us with images, updates and share their insights on the project.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #378
jubin
chembur ka chokra

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post

That article is seriously FUBAR!

What they were probably discussing was the masterplan of the system since they haven't really finalized the model of developing Line2 and Line3. By "metro project", Deshmukh probably meant the whole 146km planned system

Don't know what he's smoking but you guys have pictures of construction (even though it was load testing) and soon will get images of barricaded roads which MM1 did on March1. I am trying to rope in some local folks who can provide us with images, updates and share their insights on the project.
you are correct about line2 and line3. note however, that these are also part of phase 1. i.e. ghatkopar-versova, colaba-charkop, mankhud-bandra are all part of phase1. this phase 1 was to have started in 2006 and done by 2011.

out of the entire ~146km metro system, ~63km is phase1. we are currently pile testing for line1 that will be 11km when completed in end 2010. to meet the 2011 deadline, we will need to start work on the other ~52km soon. like yesterday.

i am glad some accountability is being demanded.

more info about the metro system on mmrda's site:

http://mmrdamumbai.org/projects_metro_rail.htm

good on you re the progress photos' jugaad
jubin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #379
axw11
axw11.wordpress.com

If i remember correctly I had seen a similiar article with a similiar headline prob Jan end or early Feb most probs on ET...then after somedays I found Reliance announcing constructions start...bhumi pujan and all....

Prob a way to speed up things!!!! but then I might be wrong...
axw11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #380
IU
->

I've noticed that MMRDA chaps and journalists interchange the use of phase with line and vice versa. Like in this case - "Ratnakar Gaikwad presented a project for the third phase of the metro." For us, it is understandable that he's talking about Line 3 but for the average dumb journo, he'll publish it as phase 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubin
we are currently pile testing for line1 that will be 11km when completed in end 2010.
They're actually done with pile testing at a couple of locations. The real piling work started on March 1 along the median of the road (JP Road?).

Tags
mumbai