search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #421
bhargavsura

interesting!!!
bhargavsura no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #422
qwertyasd
India Waiting

Likes (Received): 2

good looking renders... the staircases seem too long though.. and seem to jut out...
qwertyasd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #423
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlerock View Post
Guys, any idea if it is going to be overhanging cables (like in Delhi Metro) or a third rail that will
provide the traction in the Mumbai metro. Don't know if it has been covered before.
overhanging i'm sure, given the propensity of indians to run across tracks
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #424
castlerock

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy View Post
overhanging i'm sure, given the propensity of indians to run across tracks
Was safety the main reason overhead cables were chosen. Whats the length of track on metro 1 running at ground level? Isn't the entire stretch elevated. As far I know(not sure) kolkata has a third rail as the traction and so does Bangalore metro(under construction). Of course Kolkata's entire stretch is underground.
castlerock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #425
Illusionist
India under construction.

Likes (Received): 1560

all the indian electric railway system is based on overhead cables. so i think MM will go for it as the technology,resources are available at home, maintenance will be easier since it is so widespread in the nation.
it would be nice though to get rid of those ugly hanging wires..

i also think that entire stretch will either be elevated or underground just like delhi metro. the whole purpose of a metro is to keep it isolated from surface traffic and notorious indian human contact with the rails...
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #426
IU
->

Quote:
Guys, any idea if it is going to be overhanging cables (like in Delhi Metro) or a third rail that will
provide the traction in the Mumbai metro. Don't know if it has been covered before.
overhead for sure.

Quote:
Was safety the main reason overhead cables were chosen.
It was probably selected since overhead electrification requires lesser number of power substations than an AC powered third rail system. Besides, the trains accelerate much faster when powered by an overhead electrification system.

Quote:
Whats the length of track on metro 1 running at ground level? Isn't the entire stretch elevated. As far I know(not sure) kolkata has a third rail as the traction and so does Bangalore metro(under construction). Of course Kolkata's entire stretch is underground.
The entire 11.4kms stretch is elevated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrajal.com View Post
all the indian electric railway system is based on overhead cables. so i think MM will go for it as the technology,resources are available at home, maintenance will be easier since it is so widespread in the nation.
it would be nice though to get rid of those ugly hanging wires..
It's got nothing to do with the technology we use at the IR. If they were so technology conscience, as in using everything that the IR uses then they would have opted for Broad gauge instead of Standard gauge.

___

btw, I think that that render of the station is just another model of how a station can end up looking like. If it were a real render then it would have appeared in HT's main newspaper, other dailies and not in the HT Lives West supplement.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #427
KB335ci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
....btw, I think that that render of the station is just another model of how a station can end up looking like. If it were a real render then it would have appeared in HT's main newspaper, other dailies and not in the HT Lives West supplement.

Quote:
Station architecture will be better than what you see on the website or media articles. We also have to be mindful of the cost aspect since there is a cap on project cost by MMRDA. You will get beuatiful and comfortable stations, rest assured.

Regards

KP
- in the words of Mr. Maheshwari, on behalf on MM1.

I sure hope he's right. I don't see anyting out of the ordinary in the rendering.
KB335ci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #428
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai

Likes (Received): 0

KB335ci you are right there is nothing extra ordiniary about this station. I took a second look at the station. I was comparing it with what they had on the MM1 website and got a little excited. I take my words back I don't think it is amazing at all. But the roof is ok. By the ppl I am working on a website collecting rendering images of modern metro stations from around the world. I started the website today. Ignore the front page it will be more attractive then what you see right now. If you know of any images please do let me know.

My website: http://www.geocities.com/mumbairail/
mumbairail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #429
IU
->

KB335ci, that's precisely what this lady at MM1 told me the other day. While designing the stations, proper functionality will first be taken into consideration and then other design frills will be added provided they are within their budget. Besides that, she hinted that station renderings will not be released till another good 5-6 months.

btw she also had some good words for the MH govt
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #430
KB335ci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbairail View Post
KB335ci you are right there is nothing extra ordiniary about this station. I had a second look at the station. I was comparing it with what they had on the MM1 website and got a little excited. I take my words back I don't think it is amazing at all. But the roof feature is ok.
It's true that the latest rendering is TONS better than the cheap-show on their website, so, you had every reason to be excited. We still have a LONG way to go tho'...
I hope that MM1 will make use of light-permeating material, and use green technology to drive wind-flow, instead of having to spend exhorbidant amounts on electricity. A-conditioning is a MUST, but it'd be great if they could use natural cooling methods alongside conventional AC systems...

Last edited by KB335ci; March 12th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #431
bhargavsura

Mumbai Rail:

Clicking on your website says, "Sorry this site is temporarily unavailable".
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #432
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB335ci View Post
It's true that the latest rendering is TONS better than the cheap-show on their website, so, you had every reason to be excited. We still have a LONG way to go tho'...
I hope that MM1 will make use of light-permeating material, and use green technology to drive wind-flow, instead of having to spend exhorbidant amounts on electricity. A-conditioning is a MUST, but it'd be great if they could use natural cooling methods alongside conventional AC systems...
KB335ci I hope they take your ideas into consideration. This is what I got from their website:

Mumbai Metro One is also gearing to become Asia’s first Green Metro right from the construction stage. With a strong focus on environment, Mumbai Metro One will not only use technology that is environment-friendly but has also undertaken the following studies:

Environment impact assessment
Feasibility for LEED certification for the Project
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #433
mumbairail
The 21st century Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavsura View Post
Mumbai Rail:

Clicking on your website says, "Sorry this site is temporarily unavailable".
Sorry bhargavsura. This is what you get when the website is for free. Limited amount of data transfer limit. I will pay the amount for extra data transfer limit and will let you know guys when the website is up and running.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #434
Illusionist
India under construction.

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post

It's got nothing to do with the technology we use at the IR. If they were so technology conscience, as in using everything that the IR uses then they would have opted for Broad gauge instead of Standard gauge.
if IR had its way it would be broad gauage... but delhi metro didnt want it and there was a dispute about that..

if you look at the overhead cables , they are similar to the one they use in regular railway system.. i was talking about that...
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #435
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrajal.com View Post
if IR had its way it would be broad gauage... but delhi metro didnt want it and there was a dispute about that..
yeah, I know about that. I was just giving an example that their decision had nothing to do with what's available in the country.

Quote:
if you look at the overhead cables , they are similar to the one they use in regular railway system.. i was talking about that...
It's got nothing to do with available resources or maintenance but rather with acceleration and substation issues which is probably why MM1 chose overhead electrification.

____

btw, to the article Jubin posted about the stations having malls, I'd say it'll be a good move if MM1 designs its stations to have mini malls or shops that can be leased out. DMRC receives ~30% of its annual revenue through property development and that is one quick way to make some dough. But then again it all depends on whether they are permitted by MMRDA under the concession agreement or not.
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #436
bhargavsura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbairail View Post
Sorry bhargavsura. This is what you get when the website is for free. Limited amount of data transfer limit. I will pay the amount for extra data transfer limit and will let you know guys when the website is up and running.
Yes. Don't worry. I had the same stuff with geocities. but found a better one by Microsoft.
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #437
bhargavsura

Quote:
A-conditioning is a MUST, but it'd be great if they could use natural cooling methods alongside conventional AC systems...
Natural cooling methods as in???

Last edited by bhargavsura; March 13th, 2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #438
Sridhar

Likes (Received): 7

The decision on OHT or third rail is also a function of the voltage used. Delhi Metro runs on 25KV AC, which is not feasible with third rail (which is usually energized at 750V DC or thereabouts). High voltage AC transmission is much more efficient. The issue of people crossing tracks does not really arise on the Delhi metro. There are almost no at-grade tracks and those that are have fencing.

And if anything, that should be reason to put a third rail, to prevent people from crossing (they are not crazy - and don't cross on the Kolkata metro, while they do in hordes on the same city's suburban lines).
Sridhar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #439
KB335ci
BANNED

DELETED

Last edited by KB335ci; March 13th, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: double post
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #440
KB335ci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavsura View Post
Natural cooling methods as in???

Harvesting external wind and re-channeling wind-flow into spaces, by creating structural/ architectural elements that help the process (by redirecting/ blocking wind, 'scooping-out' wind with solar-powered turbines - perhaps too far fetched, material usage and what not) - is my take on it.

Last edited by KB335ci; March 18th, 2008 at 03:58 AM.

Tags
mumbai