SkyscraperCity Forum banner

the 10 things that leeds needs

29K views 256 replies 75 participants last post by  Leeds No.1 
#1 ·
i thought i would make this list after wanting leeds to be an even better place
lets just hope the council see this.....

so
no 1.arena
no 2.more highrises been approved
no 3.observation tower
no 4.selfridges
no 5.more museums
no 6. regenation of some city centre shopping centres or more
no 7.another stadium for games and events
no8. a big wheel
no 9 .conference facilities
no 10.more city centre developments more proposals.

#52 ·
You didn't Fred (accept my apologies), you said:

What's more - and this has just struck me now - the YEP is supposed to be a Leeds paper is it not? so why does it have to summon up the wider allegiance of Yorkshire in its title.

Which I took to imply that you thought the word Yorkshire should be dropped for Leeds as it is a 'Leeds' newspaper. If you didn't then fair enough.

#53 ·
The Oil said:
Agrred - I didn't think labelling these people the "Beeston Bombers" was particularly appropriate either.

Fred - I've brought this up with you before. You constantly feel the need to gab on about of the differing sizes of Leeds and Manchester. Regardless of your age I think you could do with going on a creative writing course, at least then your repetitive posts wouldn't constantly derail threads like this.
OIL, go back and read all the contributions on this and other threads. I think you will find that lots of other people seem to have more of a fixation on this subject than I, and appear to be somewhat paranoid about Manchester.

Incidentally, I did go on a creative writing course in 1992. As an exercise I wrote an article about the architecture of Leeds. I remember the so-called 'Leeds Look' was then all the rage (brick construction, pitched slate roofs) - no thought at all about skyscrapers !

#56 ·
Simon22 said:
Metrolink, I think you are mis-reading it so as per your request I'll ignore you!

Fred, those circulation figures simply highlight that Manchester is a bigger city which is what you would expect.

QUOTE]

No they indicate that one newspaper outsells the other, if you want to know about which city has the highest population look at the last census results, where sheffield has a higher population than manchester.

Manchester council many years ago created the greater manchester area which is a great advert for their city but includes the likes of leigh, bury, rochdale, oldham, stockport and even wigan the people in these areas dont consider they are from manchester and this is where the confusion comes from

and your point about the airport is again strange if you compare it with manchester?

#57 ·
Getting back to the topic of this thread

The main thing leeds needs is a citywide transport network

going down the bus route is the wrong thing to do, compare the transport in leeds to the tram network in Prague and its light years away

Other things needed are

Arena

Further introduction of pedestrianised areas to develop a cafe culture which although leeds widely touts itself for, still doesnt have it

#58 ·
Manchester council many years ago created the greater manchester area
Did they?

Please tell me more about how this was created.

The ignorance that some people live in astounds me some times.

Whilst you are at it tell me about the AGMA (www.agma.gov.uk) - show me the West Yorks equivelent.

Tell me, if (as looks very likely) a 'Manchester city region' is established (mirroring the London model) does this mean that Manchester will suddenly have a population of 2.9m people?

#59 ·
Metrolink said:
Did they?

Whilst you are at it tell me about the AGMA (www.agma.gov.uk) - show me the West Yorks equivelent.
Please don't.

There are some people on here who will always insist that Leeds is bigger than Manchester, or that the moon is made of green cheese, whatever the evidence to the contrary. It really is much kinder to ignore them and discuss something else until they calm down.

#60 ·
Will do aviator - but this kind of goes back to my very very first post in this thread.

In my opinion, (and it's only MY opinion) the ability for authorities to make decisions locally, and spend money as they want is bloody important.

Leeds Leads shows the mentality of someone who struggles to accept that 'cities' are not confined to within an area that pays tax to a cetain council - with this mentality, the government are NOT going to devolve power down to the local authorities since there is no apparent acceptence that they're all 'in it together'.

A couple of examples of where 'Manchester' is NOT confined to within those boarders, and the other 9 boroughs have started to use the Manchester name ...

http://www.marketingmanchester.com/
http://www.visitmanchester.com/

Development and tourism are two of the areas (along with transport and housing) that are likely to be devolved down to local cities.

The above two examples show the common approach that the ten GM authorities are already taking - to the outside world, in terms of development and tourism, Greater Manchester is sold as 'Manchester'.

#62 ·
Metrolink said:
Did they?

The ignorance that some people live in astounds me some times.

Tell me, if (as looks very likely) a 'Manchester city region' is established (mirroring the London model) does this mean that Manchester will suddenly have a population of 2.9m people?
well not under specifically as that body no but through other bodies and manchester based councillors etc. during the restructuring of local government, lets not get into the total history but the AGMA wasnt even in existence then

the comparable area for west yorks is west yorkshire

regarding the population i know its hard for you manchester boys to understand but this should help

This list provides population figures according to local authority area (the population residing in the area managed by a particular authority, such as Birmingham City Council), the standard measurement used in the UK.

This is different from the internationally used measurement of continuous urban area. If that were the case, Manchester's population would be much higher - the Greater Manchester County for example has 2.5 million people, with millions more in the surrounding area. Leeds and Bradford would merge into one conurbation and London's population would well exceed 10 million.

1 London 7,074,265
2 Birmingham 1,020,589
3 Leeds 726,939
4 Glasgow 616,430
5 Sheffield 530,375
6 Bradford 483,422
7 Liverpool 467,995
8 Edinburgh 448,850
9 Manchester 430,818

Regards

#63 ·
Leads - you've posted how many people pay council tax to a specific council (apart from London - out of interest what number does that represent?)

You are totally missing the point - very very very few people describe 'Manchester' as being the little area that pay council tax to the city of Manchester - similarly in London very very few people consider London to be the area that pays council tax to the city of London.

Why do all 10 councils market themselves under the 'Manchester' name for tourism and for development do you think?

When supporters come to Old Trafford for cricket or football where do they consider they have visited?

You are correct about the Leeds / Bradford situation, and that has been at the heart of my posts in this thread - there seems to be practically zero working together between them with regards inward investment.

Could you image Bradford tourism and marketing being on web sites such as marketingleeds.com or visitleeds.com as happens with Salford (and the rest of the 10 boroughs, all being marketed under the Manchester name?)

That's the point Leads - you are seeing Leeds as simply that plot of land where people pay council tax to the city of Leeds - in reality, Leeds is nothing like that, and for Leeds to grow to it's full potential people have to realise the power of the Leeds economy, and ensure that neighbouring boroughs work together for the greater good - something that is blatently not happening at present - and you Leads, are a prime example of old stuck in your ways thinking, unable to grasp the concept that cities extend outside of political boundaries, that will eventually hold your city back.

#64 ·
Leeds Leads - you are talking shite. City populations are not based on LA population figures. No serious acamdemic would use them as the basis for the pop of a city.

Metrolink - give it a bleeding rest with your continuous droning on about GM authorities working together and those in West Yorks supposedly hating each others guts (the latter statement is not true btw).

#65 ·
FUCKING HELL - NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!

Metrolink - what astounds me is the amount of time you spend on the Leeds Forum!?!? There's a simple solution here. You can open a thread called "Leeds or Manchester - which is bigger?" and drone on about it to whichever equally as dull Loiners care to take you on. You can also open another thread called "YEP or MEN - what do their circulation figures really mean?" and also drone on about it to whichever equally as dull Loiners care to take you on.

This will ensure that you don't drag a thread called "the 10 things that Leeds needs" down to your astonishingly boring, repetitive,tedious level.

#67 ·
Well if we are going to argue which city leads the way Leeds or Manchester...well very obviously Manchester. Fortunately over the future years Leeds will catch up and overtake. But better still Leeds, Manchester and all the other Northern cities will leave London standing. One day London will be our little historic mascot. So Leeds and Manchester should stand together and dream nice dreams about the future. :)

#71 ·
One thing that Leeds needs, a SSC city thread dedicated to Leeds vs Manchester city bashing so that all the usual suspect sad juveniles from both sides of the Pennines who tediously bring up the same population arguments every month like clockwork can bash away to their hearts content far away from the threads discussing Leeds developments, which I kinda thought was what this forum was all about. :bash:

Tramboy, it strikes me that there is very little else in your life other than trams and arguments over population statistics. Get out, make some friends and see the world, you might just like it. :)

#72 ·
i have to say although metrolinks comments are provocative,they are also largely factual,irrespective of where he is based(i think west yorkshire)he is entitled to his opinion.
my only request would be to champion manchester on their forum and not draw comparisons on ours,as this thread has descended into farce! :2cents:

#74 ·
I think these debates (which seem to appear on almost every non-development-specific thread) are getting a little dull. It's hard for new members to realise it's all been said before though. It's also hard not to get drawn in (Dammit - looks like I've been drawn in). Though I have learned a few new things, and, shock horror, come round to a (slightly) new way of thinking on some issues.

The main problem seems to be that a) people see bigger population of a place as an important thing, and b) there are many definitions used of Leeds and Manchester.

However, while (Greater) Manchester may have a larger population than Leeds (City Council boundary), Leeds is of similar area, with a lesser population (one indicator of quality of life) AND competes with Manchester on many levels, despite a lower population (a measure of success).

#75 ·
Oh dear, it's head above parapet time :runaway:

I think Metrolink has a point and we're not responding, at least not in any meaningful way. For me, the thrust of what he's saying is summed up by the (rather dreadful) ad for Salford University. It has the strapline "A Greater Manchester University" which would have made my generation of Manchester University students piss ourselves with laughter. However, I'm trying to imagine a comparable situation happening around Leeds and West Yorkshire. However hard I try, though, I can't quite see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.