daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:38 PM   #1101
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

As far as high-density residential buildings go, the Brassington Avenue towers have some stand-out positives - all of the flats appear to be dual aspect, they're really spacious, there's a good mix of property sizes, and there's significant street-level interaction.

It's easy to see these as modern-day tower blocks with a passing glance, but I can't see any of the major mistakes made in tower block design being repeated in these towers.

The height of the towers can be interpreted as a negative as they are quite out of scale with the character of the area - especially given how close they are to the conservation areas (I think there's an Article 4(1) direction next to the train station as well). This could weigh massively against the development and I don't think the scheme would hurt to have a couple of floors chopped off some of the towers. However, personally, I have no problem with it.

In terms of how it looks externally, it seems to lack the elegance that you tend to find with Glenn Howells' designs. I've grown so enamoured with how they tend to accentuate the vertical nature of buildings with narrow windows and continuous lines rising up the building that I'm a bit shocked with how they've completely flipped it for this design. The towers have very horizontal elements and this maybe to reduce the sense of verticality but it also feels like it's lacking the elegance and I'm not completely convinced by it. However there are some subdued vertical elements that I think could ease my into it, it's just how the differing materials work together that will be the test.

All in all, a really intelligent and well-resolved response to the constraints of the site. It appears that it won't just be a pleasant environment to live in but a pleasant one to live near to. It's quite a radical direction for Sutton Coldfield but I'm convinced that Glenn Howells can pull it off. If there are any objections to the height of it, I can completely understand but I wouldn't necessarily agree with them.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 27th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #1102
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1026

So it's not simply called "Royal Sutton Coldfield" but "The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield".

And it's now on Google Maps.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...17294&t=m&z=11
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #1103
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
So it's not simply called "Royal Sutton Coldfield" but "The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield".

And it's now on Google Maps.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...17294&t=m&z=11
Correct-a-mundo.

Until it is officially shortened or is in common language.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1104
SuttonBluenose
All Hail Carl Chinn

Likes (Received): 9

The Sainsburys on the walsall road is really coming on. It looks like it will be in the same style as the one in Balsall Common.

Henry George, Progress and Poverty (1879), Book IV Chapter II
SuttonBluenose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #1105
Writer14

Likes (Received): 0

I believe it's due to open in early September.
Writer14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote