daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1
joce23
off

ROMANIA | Railways

CFR Marfa privatisation – next year’s most prominent take-over

Constanta-Bucharest-Budapest high-speed railway contract to be signed in 2009

Quote:
BUCHAREST – The Transport Ministry (MT) has submitted to the European Commission (EC) the strategy on the privatisation of company CFR Marfa (rail Freight Company) planned for 2009, according to Minister Ludovic Orban. ‘The privatisation of CFR Marfa could be the most important privatisation of the year,’ Orban said yesterday after a seminar organised by the Association of the Romanian Railway Industry, quoted by Mediafax.

‘We had had a delay and we have been waiting for an answer for three and a half months’. Since I became minister, I have selected the consultant who had completed the strategy that we have sent to the EC,’ the official added. The Minister of Transport announced in March that Deloitte and Bostina si Asociatii had completed the strategy proposing two options to the ministry, but if the bids were less than EUR 1 bn, the privatisation process would be stopped. According to CFR S.A. General Manager Constantin Manea, the rail freight market will be liberalised in 2010.

High-speed railway contract to be signed in 2009

As for CFR Calatori, passenger rail transport will be liberalised two years after the initially set term of 2012. ‘Foreign companies will come to Corridor IV that needs upgrading; they are not going to be interested in using secondary railways,’ Manea added.

Speaking of the development of the Constanta-Bucharest-Budapest high-speed railway, MT officials say the project is now at the stage where the tendering documents for the feasibility study are being prepared and that the contract will be signed next year. CFR Calatori General Manager Alexandru Noaptes in turn says the company needs RON 500 M per year for infrastructure repairs and announced the upgrading of 120 existing passenger carriages and the procurement of 60 new ones. The cost of upgrading one passenger carriage is from EUR 400,000 to EUR 600,000 and the price of a new one is between EUR 850,000 and EUR 1 M.

In September, Bucharest officials said Romania and Hungary plan to obtain funds from the European Union, with Austria’s support, for the pre-feasibility study of the project, as the costs of investment, due in 2015, amount to a few billion euros.

The governments of the two countries agreed, within their joint meeting in November 2007, to build a joint high-speed rail on the Budapest -Bucharest-Constanta route to continue the Paris-Strasburg-Stuttgart-Vienna-Bratislava-Budapest route.

Orban said at the time that construction works are due in 2015, stressing the main problem remains the financing process, given that costs are estimated to reach a few billion euros.
... http://nineoclock.ro/index.php?page=...0081008-513522

"If you're going to be thinking, you may as well think big." (Donald Trump)

"Respect yourself and others will respect you." (Confucius)

joce23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #2
joce23
off

Bombardier interested in Constanta-Budapest high-speed railway

Quote:
Canadian company Bombardier Transportation has announced it was interested din delivering trains for the Constanta-Budapest high-speed train service, Jean Berge, Vice-President of the company for South-eastern Europe and Romania, stated yesterday, according to Agepres. ‘We are interested in this project where we could supply trains for this new rail transport service’ Berge said on the occasion of the 2008 Railway Days.

On the other hand, the end of this year, Bombardier Transportation may also enter into a partnership with one of the local passenger transport rolling stock manufacturers to develop together projects for the Romanian and regional markets, Jean Berge further stated. ‘By the end of this year, we may conclude a partnership with one of the Romanian rolling stock manufacturers to develop various projects, regional trains, carriages or trams initially for the Romanian market and then for other markets in the region’, said Berge. He would not name the companies he had in mind for the partnership, but the only local passenger carriage manufacturers are Astra Vagoane Calatori Arad owned by businessman Valer Blidar and Remar Pascani belonging to the Grampet Group. He informed that Bombardier would participate in the Bucharest Municipality tender for the provision of 100 trams in 2009 as well as in similar tendering procedures to supply trams to Timisoara and Arad Municipalities.
... http://nineoclock.ro/index.php?page=...0081009-513541

"If you're going to be thinking, you may as well think big." (Donald Trump)

"Respect yourself and others will respect you." (Confucius)

joce23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 54

good development. If Bulgaria had such a project too, new Euro-Asia HSR corridore would be openned.
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #4
nebunul
Basarabia e Romania

Likes (Received): 195

FYI see loads of pictures http://www.cfr.ro/calatori/ click on galerie foto

+

Softronic Craiova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytson View Post
Guys, check this out, the rumours are a real fact . This locomotive was shown at the "national railway exhibition" this week in Bucharest.

Timpul pentru Unire niciodată nu va veni de la sine, dacă nu-l vom face şi aduce fiecare dintre noi, cei care ne dorim Unirea cu adevărat.
“DACĂ VISUL UNORA A FOST SĂ AJUNGĂ ÎN COSMOS, EU VIAŢA ÎNTREAGĂ AM VISAT SĂ TREC PRUTUL” (GRIGORE VIERU)
nebunul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 54

could you please send more pix from Romanian railways?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #6
nachalnik

Likes (Received): 365

ROMANIA | Railways

First of all: Don't we already have a Romania-thread here in the ralway forum?

I din't find any, so I start a new thread....

I just wanted to post some pictures of the railway line Brasov - Bucuresti. I used this line in september 2009 during my trip to the Caucasus (see http://caucasus-2009.blogspot.com/).

The section from Brasov to Predeal is in a quite bad condition. The section from there to Campina too, but rebuilding has already started.
The section from Campina to Bucuresti is already rebuilt and in a good condition.

Here are the photos:

Bus station Filaret in Bucuresti - a former train station:

Former Austrian postbus in Bucuresti:
nachalnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 78

Cool loco, what max speed ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
Cool loco, what max speed ?

Quote:
The new future CFR Marfa locomotive built by Softronic Craiova based on the old class 40 body. Maximum speed: 120 km/k power: 6650 kw The new CFR Calatori locomotive will look basicly the same. It will have small modifications, and it will probabily be able of speeds of 200 km/h.
Source

BTW:
Quote:
Softronic unveils the Phoenix locomotive purchased by Hungarian operator MMV

03-24-2009 09:28

Softronic Craiova brings once again to the public attention and to that of the decision-making factors in charge with locomotive manufacture, a sector in which Romania recorded much success before 1990. On March 23, 2009, the Phoenix locomotive was unveiled in the colours of Hungarian operator MMV during a public ceremony. MMV was the one who purchased the first locomotive designed in Romania after 1990. Representatives from Softronic Craiova, high officials from MMV, representatives from the Romanian authorities and major media trusts participated at this event. The launch of the Phoenix locomotive presented interest also to the public, who could admire the locomotive on line 14 at Gara de Nord.

Ionel Ghiţă, Chairman of the Board of Directors at Softronic Craiova, said that the Phoenix project represents a Romanian exercise of inventiveness and not a financial one. He referred here to the 10-year effort made by Softronic in order to develop the Phoenix project and the lack of support from the Romanian authorities. What is strange is the fact that the first Romanian locomotive manufactured after 1990 will be used not by a Romanian but by a Hungarian operator, added Ştefan Roşeanu, Secretary General of the Romanian Railway Industry Association (AIF).

Gyula Juhasz, Technical Director at MMV, congratulated Softronic for the effort made to manufacture this locomotive and said that the recently purchased locomotives will serve the MMV fleet for the next 30 years. He added that the price of EUR 2.4 Million represents 60% from the price of the cheapest product in the West. The performance recorded by Phoenix can be easily compared to the offers of Western manufacturers. Gyula Juhasz gave as example Bombardier’s Traxx locomotives. He was also pleased with the fact that Softronic experts managed to adapt Phoenix to the Hungarian network.
Cătălin Iosub from CFR Călători commended the effort made by Softronic Craiova and congratulated the team of workers for carrying on the manufacture of Romanian locomotives, a process which led to the manufacture of 4.000 Romanian locomotives. Cătălin Iosub revealed the fact that CFR Călători is currently developing a programme for the development of a locomotive capable of hauling passenger wagons at a speed of 200 km/h. All the Romanian railway companies have been invited to participate at this project. The Traction Manager at CFR Călători added that the national passenger operator collaborated with Softronic Craiova for the modernisation of 12 electric locomotives from the national fleet. The modernisation of these vehicles followed the same plan as the new product designed by Softronic. These locomotives are interoperable. The plan developed by CFR Călători focuses on the passenger traffic between Romania and Hungary. To that effect, Iosub said that the two countries are currently negotiating the implementation of direct shuttles, without having to switch locomotive. The negotiations have, however, reached a deadlock, but they hope to sign a frame agreement for several years. This agreement, together with the Phoenix locomotive, will inspire other Romanian manufacturers to develop solutions and interoperable solutions.

Mircea Arnăutu, Head of the Romanian Railway Notified Body within AFER, said that the Phoenix locomotive was a huge success because it comes only five years since Softronic Craiova received its certification as rolling stock manufacturer. (Image: Left to right: Ionel Ghiţă, Chairman of the Board of Directors at Softronic Craiova; Ştefan Roşeanu, Secretary General, Romanian Railway Industry Association - AIF; Gyula Juhasz, Technical Manager Magyar Maganvasut MMV)
Source
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 246

Top speeds

What is the top speed on Romania main lines? What is the proposed top speed?
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM   #10
v_florin

Likes (Received): 188

Currently trains can go up to 160km/h (in theory) on the Bucharest-Campina section...the entire portion from Campina to Brasov is being rebuilt for 160-200km/h top speeds, as is the line going east Bucharest-Constanta.
v_florin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:58 PM   #11
hans280

Likes (Received): 74

Interesting. Do you know of a map of the expected lines Brasov-Bucharest and Bucharest-Constanta? The last I heard of it, the talk was of upgrading the latter line to "up to 160 km/h" but it would be good news if they have become a bit more ambitious.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #12
v_florin

Sorry for the crappy quality, I just did it in MS Paint...the red lines would be the final result.

There is also discussion of continuing the upgrades through Transylvania toward the Hungarian border, but nothing has been done yet.

Prahova24hours liked this post
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #13
hans280

Thanks. I can see that the line to Brasov is probably going to be the one that'll cost "blood, sweat and tears". It's pretty mountainous country. On the contrary, the landscape is pretty much flat like a pancake all the way down to Constanta. I'm still in the darkness, though, about where they intend to drive 200 km/h and where only 160 km/h.
Old February 24th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #14
v_florin

Heh, you're not the only one in the darkness
As far as I can tell, 200km/h is doable for Bucharest-Constanta and Bucharest-Campina (orange segment in the image below) since they are generally flat...in any case, the estimates that I know of in regard to actual travel times are: 105 minutes for Bucharest-Brasov (so average speed for the whole trip = 90km/h) and 120 minutes for Bucharest-Constanta (average speed = 112.5km/h)

It would be a wonderful improvement compared to the current 60km/h for both Bucharest-Constanta (3hrs 47 minutes ) and Bucharest-Brasov (2hrs 48 minutes) - and that's not factoring in the delays because of works on the line, of which there are many...

Old February 24th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #15
hans280

Thanks. Yeah, well... as a resident of France I might point fingers, but as a citizen of Denmark I can not. The average speed that they'll get on Bucharest-Constanta is almost identically the same as between Copenhagen and Aarhus. Anyway, it's faster than flying.
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Thanks. Yeah, well... as a resident of France I might point fingers, but as a citizen of Denmark I can not. The average speed that they'll get on Bucharest-Constanta is almost identically the same as between Copenhagen and Aarhus. Anyway, it's faster than flying.
And more convenient.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #17
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 64

I went through Romania last year on my way to Istanbul, and I'd like to
take advantage of the presence here of people with knowledge on the
Romanian railways to ask a few questions.

I used first the daily overnight train Budapest-Bucarest. Most of the way
was during darkness. What was the route followed exactly ? I know we
went through Arad and Brasov, and I saw the modernization works shown
in the picture above. But between Arad and Brasov it seems there are so
many routes available... I remember also that the train reversed at some
place.

Then I used the train from Bucarest to Istanbul. Why is this train using a
route through Videle as I see there is a more direct route between Bucarest
and Giurgiu ?

The line from Bucarest to Videle and beyond is electrified, and part of the
line from Videle to Giurgiu too. And then it seems that the catenary stops
in the middle of nowhere, forcing the usage of a diesel loco just for the lack
of wire on the last few miles... Why is this line not electrified right through
the border ? After all, this is a major international transit corridor, isn't it ?

Many thanks for your answers,

Marc.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:31 AM   #18
v_florin

@MarcVD, here is a map of your route:

As you can see, after Bucharest you took the indirect route because of a line closure between Vidra&Gradistea (a bridge that was washed away by floods 4 years ago and STILL not fixed to this day!)
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:04 PM   #19
panda80

Likes (Received): 171

The map has an error, meaning that the train from Budapest uses the route Arad-Deva-Vintu de Jos-Alba Iulia-Teius-Medias-Sighisoara-Brasov-Ploiesti-Bucharest. Line 200 between Sibiu and Brasov is also closed because of a broken bridge at Carta.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM   #20
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachalnik View Post

The brand new sleepers at these two pictures are modern concrete sleepers with Pandrol Fastclip. This is the modern standard from Pandrol in the UK and this is the standard we also have in Sweden now. The Fastclip from Pandrol looks like a success and its coming to more and more countries
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote