search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2009, 01:50 AM   #3841
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

Lexington hotels expand, renovate for WEG and beyond
By Beverly Fortune
Lexington Herald-Leader

Lexington's two major downtown hotels — the former Radisson Plaza and the Hyatt Regency — are undergoing major renovations at a time when several other area hotels are updating and expanding, aiming to have the work completed for the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games.

And six new hotels, either already open or soon to open, will add hundreds of beds to the city's supply of rooms.

The former Radisson's $13 million face lift includes gutting and redoing all 367 guest bedrooms and bathrooms and new paint, wallpaper and lighting fixtures for the grand ballroom, meeting rooms and hallways. New carpeting will be laid throughout. Cafe on the Park will be gutted and redesigned.

Across the street, the 365-room Hyatt Regency Lexington has finished 85 percent of its $16 million project to refurbish guest rooms, public meeting spaces and the swimming pool.

Peter Lewis, president of W Madison Properties, which bought the Radisson last year, gave a personal tour Wednesday.

"I want this hotel to be light, cheery and elegant," said Lewis, taking a hands-on approach to the renovation. His company is based in New York, but he spends one week a month in Lexington. "I have to be around and make sure the execution works," he said.

What Lewis calls the centerpiece of the hotel will be a three-story blue mosaic wall at the foot of the escalators, with water sheeting down the wall. Four large sculpted horses will extend off the wall.

"We're somewhat in the entertainment business," Lewis said. "I want this hotel to be beautiful and friendly, so when people walk in, they feel happy."

By the first of October, when 50 percent of the rooms have been renovated and the public areas redone, the hotel — now called the Lexington Downtown Hotel & Conference Center — will be branded a Hilton Hotel. It already is a Hilton affiliate, meaning guests can make reservations through the Hilton reservation service.

At the Hyatt, the Glass Garden restaurant and lobby bar will be reworked next spring, said John Gennuso, the Hyatt's director of sales and marketing.

The 30-year-old hotel is in the same complex as Rupp Arena and the Lexington Convention Center.

"The hotel was definitely in need of renovation," Gennuso said. He called it "perfect timing" that the work could be completed in time for the 2010 games.

The Gratz Park Inn, a 41-room downtown boutique hotel, began extensive renovations when new owners assumed control two years ago. "We're pretty close to being half finished," said Zedtta Wellman, general manager. The inn is on schedule to complete its work "so we can put on a good face for the 2010 games," Wellman said.

Beyond downtown, other hotels are making a push to expand and update.

Hotels typically renovate rooms on a six-to eight-year cycle, said Mike Curd, president of the Bluegrass Hospitality Association.

With the potential of thousands of guests needing lodging, owners have more incentive to fix up and enhance their hotels "because you're getting a pretty instant return," said Curd, who is also general manager of Holiday Inn North at Newtown Pike and Interstate 75/64. "Owners are going to see a substantial bump in revenue in that time period."

Curd said, "We all want our product in the best shape possible for this event."

The Marriott's Griffin Gate Resort, about 3 miles from the Kentucky Horse Park, site of the World Equestrian Games, finished a $22 million overhaul in 2008. The work included a 7,000-square-foot spa that offers body wraps, facials and a steam room, plus a 5,400 square-foot Paddock Tent for special events.

The renovations and expansion were carried out to keep the Marriott competitive, said Marci Krueger, director of sales and marketing. "We want to take care of our customers and grow our business in Lexington" for the future, not just for 16 days next year.

"I don't know of anything built specifically with the World Equestrian Games in mind," said David Lord, president of the Lexington Convention and Visitors Bureau.

"I don't think anyone went out to invest any tremendous amount of money for 16 days. It's just 16 days. They want to build for the future of the market," Lord said.

He said he was not worried about the supply of hotel rooms. Lexington has many more rooms than Jerez, Spain, where the games were held in 2002 or Aachen, Germany, site of the 2006 games.

Lexington will have more than 7,000 rooms by the time the games roll around, Lord said. "Add in the rest of the Bluegrass region, like Georgetown and Frankfort, and you get up to 10,000 pretty quickly."

When the Louisville and Cincinnati areas are included, the count rises to 52,000 rooms.

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:38 AM   #3842
seicer
Historian, photographer

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
The original plans were not followed by the developer, thus it need to be replaced. I think it leaked. This is also one of the reasons that they fell behind in the initial construction, not following the plans and missing the inspections in proper order.
Thanks. I was by the development a few weeks ago and noted that some of the brick work was removed, and other sections were in obvious disrepair. Some of the interiors also looked pretty damn shabby -- and I mean that in a good sense. I hope that this is leased and/or sold soon.

And your comments, Carto, regarding S. Limestone are spot on. I picked up a copy of the construction documents regarding the project, and there is no feasible way to do sewer reconstruction without closing down the entire road without inconveniencing the city for over two years. By closing down the entire roadway, the city shaved _one year_ from the construction schedule, and saved a substantial sum of money in the process.

I walked S. Limestone for three years. It was a shithole then, with inconsistent sidewalks, non-ADA compliant ramps, too narrow traffic lanes and inconsistent lane widths, overhead wires... and by completing all of these individual tasks at once is a no brainer. Any engineer, urban planner and official can see that -- no need to take it personally Whosville because it adds "10 minutes" to your commute.

The affected businesses were made WELL aware of the project many MONTHS before the project was even announced, and were invited to attend the meetings. Most chose not to, and their ignorance was dually noted in the hearing that was just dismissed the other day. I wish I could only record their comments.

People clamor for a city that doesn't have sewage backups into Town Branch, but balk when the city has to close a street to complete the work. People clamor for a city that has separate storm water and sewage pipes, but complain when the city has to spend money on such a project. People clamor for buried utilities, but whine when it closes a lane on a roadway. People claim for more aesthetics, but become the naysayers when it involves an inconvenience to them. They can never appease everyone, and nor should they.

--

Public views streetscape plans for downtown Lexington
By Jennifer Hewlett, Herald-Leader, July 30, 2009

A steady trickle of people made their way to the local government center Wednesday see what downtown Lexington is slated to look like this time next year.

Millions of dollars in improvements to Main Street, between Broadway and Limestone; Vine Street, between Broadway and Limestone; South Limestone, between the Avenue of Champions and Vine Street; and Cheapside Park are expected to be completed by July 2010.

"I think it's going to be very good for the downtown area," Brian Flynn said after looking at maps and drawings depicting the new streetscape plans for the city streets. Flynn, who will be the general manager of the new Skybar lounge when it opens at 269 West Main Street in August or September, said he particularly liked the plans for the Cheapside Park and Limestone areas.

The plans for downtown "will showcase what we have in this area," he said.

Robin Feeney said she thought the plans were beautiful, but said that the drawings and maps lacked specific information, such as construction timetables, which would be helpful to downtown business owners such as herself.

Feeney, who operates Caros Restaurant at 113 South Upper Street, said her business has already been affected adversely by traffic congestion, construction equipment noise and dust caused by the South Limestone project and others.

"We've endured this Centre Pointe mess about a year now," she said, referring to the city block that has been vacant for months because plans have stalled to build a hotel and condominium complex there. Feeney's restaurant is across the street. "It's about put us under," she said

Harold Tate, president and chief executive officer of the Downtown Development Authority, said Wednesday's display was about the sixth such display for the public. Several city officials and others involved in the streetscape projects were on hand to answer questions.

Bids for the Main, Vine and Cheapside projects are expected to be let in the fall or early winter, Tate said. The South Limestone work is expected to cost $17 million, according to city officials.
seicer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3843
shmeedt

Likes (Received): 0

I took a look at the improvements, and S. Lime will look so much better once it's done. I know this was mentioned initially, but does anyone know if there's going to be any small water features included in the renovation?
shmeedt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:38 AM   #3844
Whosville

Likes (Received): 2

If it was the sewer line then just tell us it was the sewer line and leave it at that. No need to try to sell this project as a beautification project when it is really just an infrastructure project. The public perception that I've heard around UK (and I don't have as much knowledge as you all do) is that it was for beautification first and foremost ... and that simply is not a good enough reason to do this kind of interruption to the city. If the sewers were the real reason, then they needed to do a better job informing the city.

I was in Pazzo's this afternoon and they had a couple customers, but you could tell they were down as the waitresses were all just sort of sitting around. It's got to be hurting them quite a bit.

I will say the men were working very hard from what I saw today and what I have seen the past couple weeks. At least that makes me feel a little better about it that it is not the typical road construction project where only 1/2 of the guys are working at any given time. They do seem to be trying to get it done as quickly as possible to at least open 1 lane in the near future.
Whosville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #3845
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

Cant remember if this has been posted. It's the site plans for the newest development on Angliana. That five level parking garage should offer some nice views of the skyline. I love that angle.

http://www.lexingtonky.gov/Modules/S...ocumentid=8059
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #3846
shmeedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian604 View Post
Cant remember if this has been posted. It's the site plans for the newest development on Angliana. That five level parking garage should offer some nice views of the skyline. I love that angle.

http://www.lexingtonky.gov/Modules/S...ocumentid=8059
It should turn out to be a nice development. Hopefully a Trader Joes is involved.
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #3847
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Likes (Received): 4

Posted on Wed, Aug. 05, 2009
Renovation approved for Dudley's new restaurant location on Short Street

By Beverly Fortune [email protected]

The Courthouse Area Design Review Board Wednesday gave Dudley's approval to renovate the façade of the building at 261 West Short Street where the restaurant hopes to move before the end of the year.

The windows across the front will be removed, replaced with four large glass doors, each 91/2 feet tall and 31/2 feet wide.

The board also approved a patio that will be constructed over the first-floor roof to allow for outdoor dining.

The stone arches over the front windows look original to the building, said Debbie Long, Dudley's owner. But the present façade with the arches and faux stucco was done "probably in the 1970's. Those arches are from Joy Ley Antiques in Louisville."

"So we are bringing it back to the same look it had when it was built," she said.

The building is within the downtown Courthouse Area Design Review Zone, where exterior changes to buildings, demolition or new construction must be approved by the design review board.

The three-story building was built in 1890 with the Northern Bank on the second and third floors and a drugstore on the first floor. After World War II, the first floor was converted to office space, said Josh Marrillia, contractor for the project.

To get ready for the conversion to a restaurant, interior demolition has started. Long has applied to the Kentucky Heritage Council and the National Parks Service for state and federal historic tax credits to offset costs. "You can get up to 20 percent of the cost in tax credits," Marrillia said.

The restaurant will have the bar at the front, the dining room behind. Two rooms on the second floor can be reserved for private parties.

Out front will be sidewalk tables. The rooftop patio, similar in size to Dudley's present patio, will be landscaped and have a water feature.
Long said she knew in December she was going to have to move, and she started looking for another location.

"I loved this building from the minute I walked into it," she said.

Dudley's will close Oct. 31 in Dudley Square, where it opened 28 years ago.
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #3848
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmeedt View Post
It should turn out to be a nice development. Hopefully a Trader Joes is involved.
A Trader Joe's in this market (and economy) is a long way off
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #3849
shmeedt

Quote:
I would disagree. Fresh Market and Whole Foods attract the same clientele, and both are doing well in this market. Although Trader Joes are located in much larger cities, there are also cities much smaller than Lexington that have them. I would say the only thing that would be holding it back is the economy, not the market.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #3850
gt7834a

Grocery stores located based on several things, but one that people never think about is distribution networks. I spoke with Trader Joes about a year and half ago about coming to Lexington and they said they had no intention of entering the KY market in the near future. They have opened in Cinci now so they are getting closer, but I don't think we will be seeing them in the near future, but you never know. I would love if they did.
Ann Arbor has one and they are half the size of Lexington. A Trader Joes would kill it in Lexington IMO.
gt7834a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #3851
shmeedt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7834a View Post
Grocery stores located based on several things, but one that people never think about is distribution networks. I spoke with Trader Joes about a year and half ago about coming to Lexington and they said they had no intention of entering the KY market in the near future. They have opened in Cinci now so they are getting closer, but I don't think we will be seeing them in the near future, but you never know. I would love if they did.
Ann Arbor has one and they are half the size of Lexington. A Trader Joes would kill it in Lexington IMO.
Damn. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I wonder what kind of high end grocery chain will go into the Angliana development?
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3852
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmeedt View Post
I wonder what kind of high end grocery chain will go into the Angliana development?
What make you think that a "high end" grocery will go into that retail space? Are you counting on the auto repair and "doggie daycare" to generate more expensive services for a basically student housing dominated area? I don't see high end anything going into this location, just like I don't see it in the Lex project block.
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #3853
shmeedt

Quote:
What make you think that a "high end" grocery will go into that retail space? Are you counting on the auto repair and "doggie daycare" to generate more expensive services for a basically student housing dominated area? I don't see high end anything going into this location, just like I don't see it in the Lex project block.
Wow, I see sarcasm is your strong point. When this was presented to the city council from around 5 weeks ago, the developers mentioned that this was going to be a gourmet/high end grocery market. Although, I'm sure they would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #3854
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

I've seen so darn many " this will be up-scale" or "high end" pledges for re-gentrification projects over the years, that did NOT come true, that I just don't believe them any more. Especially in these type areas. The Lex was going to be a multi use condo project for high end residential--now it for students only. South Hill Station and Centre Court for urban young professionals--now mostly students. It even extends to some large lot "high end" residential that still sit vacant and with little prospect. I can't help but be sarcastic when I see this.
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #3855
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Actually, grocery stores are doing very well in this economy and are on a hiring spree. For example, Whole Foods Market is hiring 800 new people this year. It was on NBC Nightly News a few weeks ago.
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #3856
georgeglass

Quote:
I've seen so darn many " this will be up-scale" or "high end" pledges for re-gentrification projects over the years, that did NOT come true, that I just don't believe them any more. Especially in these type areas. The Lex was going to be a multi use condo project for high end residential--now it for students only. South Hill Station and Centre Court for urban young professionals--now mostly students. It even extends to some large lot "high end" residential that still sit vacant and with little prospect. I can't help but be sarcastic when I see this.

I do think Lexington could support a place like Trader Joe's, but I do kind of agree with Carto. I love all the new developments like South Hill, but I see why it is mainly students. My ex and I bought a condo for 77K by St. Joe Hospital off Broadway 5 years ago. We could have bought a brand new one that had as much space for over 200k to be about 2 miles closer in. As long as it is cheaper to live in the outlying areas, it isn't going to make sense for a lot of people to move to downtown. That being said, I hope all the improvements for downtown continue and I think Lexington is a great city. If Trader Joe's were to come, they would probably do better in Chevy Chase. Maybe a good spot for them would be on the corner of Main and Ashland...if that ever gets developed.
georgeglass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #3857
TheDame

Wasn't there supposed to be a grocery at the development on Main and Rose? We ended up with a Jimmy John's, a Dunkin Donuts and first floor offices.

That block of Main St. between the Vine/Midland intersection and Rose is so exciting and accessible. I'm so glad we moved The Dame there.
TheDame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #3858
Hey_Hey

Likes (Received): 21

I don't mind that students have moved into those areas. Some segment of the population has to be the pioneers when a new area develops. A good percentage of these students are going to stay in Lexington for a while and may continue living in places like The Lex. Over time the area will "grow up." Students will also provide a good amount of disposable income that will attract businesses to the area and will in turn make the area more attractive to that post-college age group.
Hey_Hey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #3859
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

In who's alternate economy?
Old August 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #3860
lexc5812

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDame View Post
Wasn't there supposed to be a grocery at the development on Main and Rose? We ended up with a Jimmy John's, a Dunkin Donuts and first floor offices.

That block of Main St. between the Vine/Midland intersection and Rose is so exciting and accessible. I'm so glad we moved The Dame there.
they had two grocery stores very interested, but the main setback was if main st was going to go to two ways. Phil holoubeck said that is the biggest problem with attracting a grocery store.
lexc5812 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington ky