search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #3941
gt7834a

Likes (Received): 0

I think one of the best things about Lexington is that interstate is on the edge. I think the interstate coming right though the middle of town kills most cities and makes the traffic for those trying to pass through terrible. Lexington's downtown isn't big enough to have survived 8 lanes of interstate throught the middle of it. There would be nothing left.
gt7834a no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #3942
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

I wonder if there is already a plan in the works...

Kinko's/FedEx changes name, moves to Main & Rose
by Tom Martin
Business Lexington

LEXINGTON, KY - Not only is Kinko's/Fed Ex now in the process of a name change - to FedEx Office - the office services chain will soon relocate its downtown Lexington operations from 145 Rose Street to the nearby Main & Rose mixed-use complex.

"We have a signed lease with them and sometime around the beginning of the year they'll be moving into Main & Rose," said Phil Holoubek, president of Lexington's Real Estate Company (LRC) and developer of Main & Rose. Jenny Robertson, a FedEx Office spokesperson at company headquarters in Dallas, confirmed the move and said plans call for opening in the new location in early January.

Holoubek said Kinko's/FedEx is the type of business he wanted to locate at Main & Rose from the beginning. "They're an ideal retail user in that they have traffic coming and going all day long, but they never have a huge wave of traffic at any one time. From a building standpoint, it's great for the residents to be able to just pop downstairs to do their mailing, copying or whatever they need to do. From other retailers' standpoint, it's great for them because of the steady flow of traffic all day long, and from Kinko's standpoint it's great because it puts them into a higher visibility location on Main Street with easier in and out access. Instead of five or six or seven parking spaces, they'll now be sharing over 100 parking spaces."

Kinko's decision to vacate its Rose Street location could, in the end, turn out to be a big win for that building's owner as well as the city, Holoubek ventured. "This is one more site downtown that's on a very strong corner. It (Kinko's move) presents the possibility of it becoming higher density."

The 7300 square foot Rose Street space being vacated by FedEx Office is owned by Sadr Company, LLC. Farzin Sadr also owns the building on The Esplanade housing Natasha's Bistro.

Main & Rose offers 25,000 square feet of ground level retail space. The Kinko's move leaves 5,000 square feet yet to be filled. "In an ideal world, I'd like to get a retail store or a restaurant into that space," said Holoubek. Other business occupants of Main & Rose include Wachovia Bank, Dunkin' Donuts and Jimmy John's.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #3943
lexc5812

Likes (Received): 10

yes it does seem like it and if holoubeck could somehow get his development going across the street from main and rose then that end of downtown could get a whole lot better.
lexc5812 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #3944
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Likes (Received): 4

Just about any redevelopment of this corner will involve 4 property owners, Sadr, Dewitt Hisle, Mike Scanlon, and possibly the YMCA. Scanlon is finishing up the renovation of the street front and has spent a pile of money.

Anything less than 6-10 stories and street access all around is a waste of effort and money.

And wouldn't you love to see a two-way Vine St and a round-about in this location?
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #3945
TheDame

Damn. Just when I decide to pack up and leave, that block shows a little sign of progress....
TheDame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #3946
PadikasFinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDame View Post
Damn. Just when I decide to pack up and leave, that block shows a little sign of progress....
You don't have to be so negative about the city all the time. The reason your bar failed is because you have a niche market. The Dame always had a certain clientele and that was good business.

Then you went and moved into one of the frattiest bars in the city. Did you really not think you would lose money there? Especially when as soon as you moved, DeVassa and Lower 48 open, completely undercutting your scene.

Buster's waited it out and found a more suitable location and changed their image b/c whether they like it or not, it will never be 'busters' again. Noone can cling to the past forever especially bars and especially when asbestos and lead paint are involved....
PadikasFinest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #3947
PadikasFinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian604 View Post
Looks like construction and completion of UK's new College of Pharmacy complex is on schedule. This was pulled from an new article on the university's website.

Currently, a new 286,000-square-foot College of Pharmacy building is under construction on the UK campus. The new state-of-the-art academic and research facility will open to students in January 2010.

Full article: http://news.uky.edu/news/display_article.php?artid=4980
Interesting thing about this is that they are putting up 3 more exactly like it in that parking lot between press and virginia.

I was involved in the underground manhole layout and we had to put service in for all future bldgs too. The power is coming from that substation behind the parking garage and up limestone as well.

Im not really a fan of cookie cutter college bldgs but it is an extremely nice bldg. As an electrical designer on the project, it is really cutting-edge.
PadikasFinest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #3948
Ian604
Captain

Good to know.

I knew they had plans to build more research buildings in the area. Does anyone know if they are still planning to build the whole "Medical Campus of the Future thing?"

This was a rendering released a while ago of the next research building on the site.

Old September 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #3949
TheDame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadikasFinest View Post
You don't have to be so negative about the city all the time. The reason your bar failed is because you have a niche market. The Dame always had a certain clientele and that was good business.

Then you went and moved into one of the frattiest bars in the city. Did you really not think you would lose money there? Especially when as soon as you moved, DeVassa and Lower 48 open, completely undercutting your scene.

Buster's waited it out and found a more suitable location and changed their image b/c whether they like it or not, it will never be 'busters' again. Noone can cling to the past forever especially bars and especially when asbestos and lead paint are involved....
I wasn't being negative. I was hoping they'd do something with the Main St. block between Midland and Rose. People that frequent this forum more often than yourself can probably attest that I've been wanting to see development over there for some time.

Why is it that I can't post anything on this forum without someone attacking me? Now we have to go through all this again. Great. Just what I wanted to do for the next thirty minutes. Ok, here we go....

The Dame DID NOT FAIL. I left The Dame and decided to close the venue because I did not get along with the management of Main Street Live. We simply had opposite view points on many matters including the direction of the business and I felt it was best to resign. I no longer enjoyed doing my job and I refuse to do something if I'm not passionate about it.

Over a period of five months we looked at a number of locations for The Dame, including Manchester. All of them had their problems and nothing really jumped out at us. The main issue was that we didn't have enough capital to completely re-purpose a vacant room into a music venue. Main Street Live had a ready to go space and offered us a very good deal. They initially embraced The Dame and we felt like we could make it work.

By the way, I wouldn't exactly say that Devassa and Lower 48 undercut The Dame. We were a 500 capacity room bringing in national acts. Devassa is a tiny bar with the occasional local act performing in a corner. Lower 48 is essentially the same. Combined, they can maybe hold 200 people and I haven't exactly heard of many sold-out nights down there. Buster's and Cosmic Charlie's, two new venues opening, can compete with us. Lower 48 and Devassa? No. Don't get me wrong, I know the owners of both bars and like going to them, but they did not "undercut" our business.

Keep in mind that the people running Buster's now are not the same people who owned it in the old location. They had the luxury of time because they both have full-time law careers. Also, they were able to put a ton of money into the place through financing. They didn't change their image because "it will never be 'busters' again"; The entire reason the lawyers bought it was that they wanted to recreate Buster's. The image changed because it's owned and staffed by entirely different people now, not due to a conscious acceptance that the place will never be the same.

You say Manchester is a "more suitable location". I think that remains to be seen. They only have one weekend under their belt. I fear that they may end up suffering from a couple of the same problems we did in The Dame's second spot, location and lack of parking. They will need to make a strong publicity push to raise awareness of where you can park and how to get to Manchester St. Also, they should never lapse on promotion, less they fade from the public mind. It's easy to think about a business when you drive past it all the time. The new Buster's doesn't have that advantage.

If you had read any of my interviews lately, you'd see that I've been very positive about the city. I'm encouraged by the number of music venues popping up and hope that everyone does well. In fact, I've launched my own booking/production company, Sprouse House Productions, and am now working with Buster's, Cosmic Charlie's, Natasha's, Lower 48, Al's Bar, The Green Lantern and a few other smaller rooms. The idea is that I'll continue to do what I was doing at The Dame, bringing in the best talent possible to Lexington, but place the acts at the appropriate venues in Lexington. My goal is to help the city as much as possible and I'm quite excited about it.

Now, please. Next time I make a post, please don't make me do this again, ok?
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #3950
TheDame

Just for the sake of argument, here are the links to some of my quotes recently where I speak about my hope for the future of Lexington....

http://kykernel.com/2009/08/25/buste...-in-lexington/

http://www.kentucky.com/712/story/894768.html
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #3951
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Quote:
Now, please. Next time I make a post, please don't make me do this again, ok?
Way to go Padika. Now you got him started again. (this is really just a pity party for him) A group of investors in Atlanta cannot outspent a couple of local lawyers and set up the finest music club in the region. "They... embraced us", "we felt like we could make it work", "because I did not get along with the management of Main Street Live". These are all pretty telling phrases that he has there. There was nothing wrong with the location, the bands or the clientele, so why is it no longer open?

I don't think that we will ever know.

(Boy, am I going to hear about this)
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #3952
TheDame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
Way to go Padika. Now you got him started again. (this is really just a pity party for him) A group of investors in Atlanta cannot outspent a couple of local lawyers and set up the finest music club in the region. "They... embraced us", "we felt like we could make it work", "because I did not get along with the management of Main Street Live". These are all pretty telling phrases that he has there. There was nothing wrong with the location, the bands or the clientele, so why is it no longer open?

I don't think that we will ever know.

(Boy, am I going to hear about this)
A pity party? What the ****? I was just saying that I'm glad that something is finally happening on that block and you guys jump on me. What I said was on-topic and relevant to Lexington development. Did I post anything about CentrePointe in that first comment? No. Should I sit here and let some person I don't know tell me how I should have ran my business and be silent about it? Hell, no. I wouldn't expect the same out of any of you, either.

I already told you why I closed The Dame. The Main Street Live management, who I had to work under as part of our agreement, and I did not get along. My management methods, politics, ideal crowds, taste in music, culture, etc are the opposite of them. I did not see that when we agreed to move into the complex, and I admit that I made a mistake.

Every career move and decision I've made since moving here in 1996 had put me in a stronger position in this city. I've gone from volunteering with concert promoters to working in record shops to booking The Detour, then High On Rose, then publicist for The Dame, then GM and Talent Buyer at The Dame. Now, I've gone into business for myself and am working with eight venues in Lexington. I plan on eventually expanding into the Kentucky Theater, Red Mile and possibly even the Opera House and Rupp Arena someday. I don't need or want anyone's pity. I'm relieved to be able to put The Dame behind me and move forward in my career. Keep an eye out for Sprouse House Productions; You'll be seeing us around.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #3953
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Quote:
I was just saying that I'm glad that something is finally happening on that block and you guys jump on me. What I said was on-topic and relevant to Lexington development. Did I post anything about CentrePointe in that first comment?
Actually you missed being on target just a bit. There was no word about the block between Midland and Rose, nor any proposal about the soon-to-be-vacated FedEx/Kinko's building. Just a comment pertaining to the possibility of a redevelopment. YOU made it into being all about you. YOU made it into being about The Dame and its closing. YOU made it into a self-promotion post, as if you were the only force keeping The Dame in business. The topic of Lexington development on this forum is less about the number and type of entertainment venues and more about the actual buildings and the urban land use.

No one else is on here promoting self above the development.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #3954
TheDame

Quote:
Actually you missed being on target just a bit. There was no word about the block between Midland and Rose, nor any proposal about the soon-to-be-vacated FedEx/Kinko's building. Just a comment pertaining to the possibility of a redevelopment. YOU made it into being all about you. YOU made it into being about The Dame and its closing. YOU made it into a self-promotion post, as if you were the only force keeping The Dame in business. The topic of Lexington development on this forum is less about the number and type of entertainment venues and more about the actual buildings and the urban land use.

No one else is on here promoting self above the development.
Actually, you WERE talking about that block....

The Kinko's article was about Main and Rose. I spent a year working next to Main and Rose so I feel I should be able to make a comment about the progress there if I want to.

Looking back now, I realize that the secondary replies were about the space diagonally across from Main and Rose, not the potential development at the Main and Vine intersection. I didn't catch that the first time around, sorry. Since the location wasn't specifically mentioned, I assumed you were talking about the site of the rumored CVS.

I should have elaborated more in my comment, I suppose, since it was taken out of context. What I meant was that maybe I should have stuck around since there is the possibility of some action on that block. I'd love to see the vacant storefronts across the street used in some way or developed. I've said that before in this forum and was trying to say it again, albeit in a roundabout way.

This wasn't about me until someone came out of nowhere and started yelling at me for making a comment.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #3955
TheDame

I'll make it simple for you, so you can't sit and nitpick every word I say and turn it around on me....

Ian604 - Article about Kinko's moving to Main and Rose.

lexc5812 - More development in that area would be great.

cartomanlex - Yes, but it would be difficult.

TheDame - Yay, progress on that block.

PadikasFinest - Shut up about The Dame. You failed.

TheDame - What? I was excited about progress on that block. We didn't fail.

cartomanlex - Oh, boo hoo for The Dame. You failed.

TheDame - Screw you.

cartomanlex - Stop talking about The Dame. Screw you.

TheDame - WTF?

Can we get back on topic now?
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #3956
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

I have NEVER said that The Dame "failed".

I have enjoyed several shows at The Dame.

There is no progress on "that block" nor does there appear to be any short term progress.

The post was about the "old " location of FedEx/Kinko's being available for redevelopment. This is closer to the former High on Rose.

And let us stop with all the "it didn't fail" and "Its not my fault" crap.

NO MORE SELF-PROMOTION.
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #3957
TheDame

Quote:
I have NEVER said that The Dame "failed".

I have enjoyed several shows at The Dame.

There is no progress on "that block" nor does there appear to be any short term progress.

The post was about the "old " location of FedEx/Kinko's being available for redevelopment. This is closer to the former High on Rose.

And let us stop with all the "it didn't fail" and "Its not my fault" crap.

NO MORE SELF-PROMOTION.
There's a difference between self-promotion and self-defense. Believe me, if I am promoting my shows this is the absolute LAST place I would come.

How can you not understand the flow of comments here? Seriously, read through this page from top to bottom and put yourself in my shoes. I make a one sentence comment about progress in that area, get insulted by some guy that just joined the forum, and then get bitched at why I defend myself.
Old September 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #3958
Whosville

Likes (Received): 2

That was an interesting exchange there boys.

The Dame ... best of luck to you in your new endeavor. I beg you to add the Red Mile to your list and bring some talent in there. The Red Mile is an absolute gem that hasn't had the right visionary understand what it is capable of. It should never lose its charm and it should always be a harness racing track ... but that's a nice facility that is sitting empty way too often.

So, in Beaumont today and there is at least 3 decent construction projects underway with one being a rather nice office building of 3 or more stories and it looks like they are doing prep for another. The recession doesn't seem to have slowed Beaumont down much.
Whosville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #3959
TheDame

Speaking of the Red Mile, has anyone heard more on the proposed developments there?
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #3960
Ian604
Captain

I havent heard anything. I think the last it was in the news was when they released that prelimenary/conceptual plan type thing.

Tags
lexington ky