search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2008, 05:15 PM   #1921
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

Especially with the current debate over CentrePointe...

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1922
Lexcity

Likes (Received): 0

That will be interesting to see what the 6 story building would look like on that spot- my girlfriend lives on Kentucky Ave. right next to that site.

By the way the warehouses in the back of Shelbourne Plaza are being demolished as we speak. This is where the surface parking lot will go behind Shelbourne. Finally a little more progress after 6 months of nothing!
Lexcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1923
seicer
Historian, photographer

Likes (Received): 62

Yeah I drove all around back there and the last are finally going down. I'd like to see the Mark Acre property demoed as well

2 PM, Wednesday April 2. Meeting regarding Centrepointe. I hope to see you all there!
seicer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:52 PM   #1924
TheDame

Will the April 2nd meeting be the one where public opinion is heard? Link?
TheDame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM   #1925
georgeglass

I know this would never happen, but I have been thinking of places The Dame could relocate if they end up having to move.

Since Chase is vacating their downtown loan processing center...I think it would be great if they took over the 2 floors over the parking garage. Ideally, they could eliminate the top floor and increase ceiling heights to slant the floor. Parking would be ideal since it is above a parking garage with plenty of space during evening hours. Also, it is only 2.00 to park there after 5 pm. Also, noise should not be an issue since they would not have any walls to share and the main operations would be after business hours. If people needed to smoke, they could do like the current employees and do it in the parking garage. Fire code should not be much of an issue since about 300 people have worked on the 2 floors at one time or another.

Another possibility would be to build a new venue. I am sure this would be a huge untertaking that would require a lot of commitment from investors, etc. If possible though, I think the parking lot on MLK next to Windstream across Short St from the Nunn Building would be a good place to build a venue. You would have parking lots at Chase and the Courthouse nearby. Also, the lot may not be as suitable to other developments because it might be difficult to place windows on the side that would adjoin the Windstream building. I don't see that being an issue for The Dame.

My final suggestion is to build a venue on the corner of Short and Market. There is a large surface lot there now. I think the location is great because of the proximity to other places like Cheapside, Bluegrass Tavern, Hugo's, Harvey's, etc...and would be keeping entertainment options in the core of downtown.

I know these would all be expensive options with obstacles, but in a more perfect world...it could happen easily and Centrepoint would not need to take up the whole block....
georgeglass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1926
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by seicer View Post
F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 DAMMIT!

I don't know if a new development could really match the two (or three?) houses on that site. The corner lot is vacant, but the historic nature and character of the buildings is something that cannot be easily replaced. There are still a lot of historic properties along East Main, and preservation of those that remain is still very much strong. I can see any such discussions will be heated or at least controversial.
An F5 tornado didn't hit Lexington. Quit lying.
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1927
gt7834a

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeglass View Post
I know this would never happen, but I have been thinking of places The Dame could relocate if they end up having to move.

Since Chase is vacating their downtown loan processing center...I think it would be great if they took over the 2 floors over the parking garage. Ideally, they could eliminate the top floor and increase ceiling heights to slant the floor. Parking would be ideal since it is above a parking garage with plenty of space during evening hours. Also, it is only 2.00 to park there after 5 pm. Also, noise should not be an issue since they would not have any walls to share and the main operations would be after business hours. If people needed to smoke, they could do like the current employees and do it in the parking garage. Fire code should not be much of an issue since about 300 people have worked on the 2 floors at one time or another.

Another possibility would be to build a new venue. I am sure this would be a huge untertaking that would require a lot of commitment from investors, etc. If possible though, I think the parking lot on MLK next to Windstream across Short St from the Nunn Building would be a good place to build a venue. You would have parking lots at Chase and the Courthouse nearby. Also, the lot may not be as suitable to other developments because it might be difficult to place windows on the side that would adjoin the Windstream building. I don't see that being an issue for The Dame.

My final suggestion is to build a venue on the corner of Short and Market. There is a large surface lot there now. I think the location is great because of the proximity to other places like Cheapside, Bluegrass Tavern, Hugo's, Harvey's, etc...and would be keeping entertainment options in the core of downtown.

I know these would all be expensive options with obstacles, but in a more perfect world...it could happen easily and Centrepoint would not need to take up the whole block....
I realize you understand, at least to a point, that this is unlikley, but I don't think people realize, 1)how expensive land is downtown 2) how hard it is to get some of the land owners to sell. Just because there is a surface lot doesn't mean that it can be bought or that it is even remotely affordable. The lot you are talking about on Short St cost around $500,000 ......... in 1981. That is off the top of my head so it may be a little off, but it is close. They bought that in the early 80's and I am pretty sure they paid over $500,000 and it may have actually been close to 700. Regardless, that is .6 acres and if you could get them to sell, which you can't, it would cost at least $2,000,000. That is why you have to end up with multi story highrise buildings and why it is hard to keep things like the Dame that are paying $8-10 a SF for rent(I have zero idea what they actually pay, I am just guessing and I mean those types of businesses, not the Dame in particular)

Of course that is also why it is hard to figure out where the Dame can actually move. I have yet to come up with anything, at least in the core of downtown. The only thing I have come up with is Jefferson which may be too far away for them. The Dame, is your building around 4,000 SF? That would be my guess. There are not a ton of buildings that size that would be appropriate for a music venue.
gt7834a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM   #1928
seicer
Historian, photographer

How big is the Icehouse?

If we had some warehouses that could be readapted, it might be worth a look too.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:49 PM   #1929
georgeglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by seicer View Post
How big is the Icehouse?

If we had some warehouses that could be readapted, it might be worth a look too.

I don't see the Icehouse being big enough for The Dame unless it can be enlarged. There is probably only about 1500 sq. ft. (on the ground floor) if I recall correctly from being in there. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It would need some serious help, but what about the warehouse on Mill Street across from phase 2 of CentreCourt? I don't think there is a roof and it is used for equipment storage or something. I have no idea if this is slated for development or not.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:51 PM   #1930
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Likes (Received): 4

I mean no disrespect to the Dame, and I know that he has a good handle on how his business is run, but I cannot believe that the investors from Atlanta(who have probably made back their original investment some times over) would move the venue to somewhere else in Lexington(downtown or not). I don't want to get into a "flaming" war with you guys, but I can recall when Greenstreets was closed, then LMNOP closed, The Library opened-had a good run- then closed, Breedings was a big spot-then closed, The Wrokledge was so full they turned people away-then they closed. The good big spaces are becoming fewer and fewer to find and nobody is building any more. The Dame's investors could not have spent what Portofino's did on the Ades Dry Goods building, or Annabelle's did on the old florist's shop or even what the City spent on the Alfalfa's location. All I can say is, sometimes change comes even when we don't want it.
cartomanlex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1931
cartomanlex
Lexington Streetsweeper

Likes (Received): 4

How's this going to work for you?

cartomanlex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM   #1932
georgeglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
I mean no disrespect to the Dame, and I know that he has a good handle on how his business is run, but I cannot believe that the investors from Atlanta(who have probably made back their original investment some times over) would move the venue to somewhere else in Lexington(downtown or not). I don't want to get into a "flaming" war with you guys, but I can recall when Greenstreets was closed, then LMNOP closed, The Library opened-had a good run- then closed, Breedings was a big spot-then closed, The Wrokledge was so full they turned people away-then they closed. The good big spaces are becoming fewer and fewer to find and nobody is building any more. The Dame's investors could not have spent what Portofino's did on the Ades Dry Goods building, or Annabelle's did on the old florist's shop or even what the City spent on the Alfalfa's location. All I can say is, sometimes change comes even when we don't want it.
I don't think anyone would dispute your point, but I think what most people are getting at is that we should do a better job of keeping the things that are drawing people to downtown. It's likely that something would eventually take the place of The Dame, if it left for good. If you believe that markets regulate themselves, then the demand will eventually bring about something. Perhaps that is true, but we know the demand exists and we have something already fulfilling the demand. Wouldn't it make sense to try and keep this? I know it may not happen because there is not the cheap space that there used to be and renovation and new construction costs are too high. Still, I'm a dreamer and an optimist...though sometimes it is difficult.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM   #1933
georgeglass

[QUOTE=cartomanlex;19166420]How's this going to work for you?

I've seen great things come from a lot worse.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:21 AM   #1934
seicer
Historian, photographer

I've seen worse myself. It has solid walls -- one that was not that long ago rebuilt (when the parking lot cut the place in half) but the support timbers and roof need to be replaced. I'm not wholly sure how it would fit in use with The Dame or any other enterainment venue, as it would have a rather low ceiling unless it is raised by a few feet. I think that it would compliment the neighborhood nicely, given that it's right next to UK and a very emerging area, although it is considerably further away from Transy.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1935
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

It's only three blocks further from Transy. I know we're all just dreaming about what could be at the moment but we have no idea about the details of the property. Is it owner occupied or leased, etc. Not to mention what kind of hell would be raised by South Hill residents on Mill, Lawrence, and on Cedar who aren't the typical UK student or faculty.

All in all though it wouldn't be a bad location. There's already a fair amount of energy on S. Lime at night. It would help and be helped by businesses like Tolly Ho, Pazzo's, Two Keys, Jimmy Johns, Mellow Mushroom, and CD Central.

There are a lot of new housing units geared toward young people in the area. CenterCourt, South Hill Station, University Lofts, Newtown Crossing, and hopefully soon Shelbourne Plaza and Mark Acre. So the demand for an entertainment venue is definitely present.

I can see it going either way...
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1936
g-man430

We have Mellow Mushroom and Jimmy John's downtown. Nice avatar too.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:41 AM   #1937
TheDame

Umm...
TheDame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 01:53 AM   #1938
g-man430

Exactly. I knew you'd understand.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:35 AM   #1939
Thekmanxc

what's all the construction in those pictures going to be?

Also, if anyone gets bored this weekend I would love to see some new pics of the Marc, Main & Rose, etc.... it's been a couple months or more since anything has been posted.

Ya know, if anyone wants to take some photos, thank you in advance
Thekmanxc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:39 AM   #1940
bigwilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
We have Mellow Mushroom and Jimmy John's downtown. Nice avatar too.
G-man i honestly think you rode the short bus to school(hopefully i dont offend anyone, if it helps my cousin is mentally retarded)
bigwilley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington ky