daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #661
gentem
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devendra1 View Post
Dr Yaser,
One question not related to this topic though since you are the best person in this forum to answer this -
1) In general do majority of people in valley want to remain with India or they are looking for seperation.
2) How do they view rest of the country.
3) After rail link will more people move away from seperatism.
a referendum in kashmir valley and punch would be good option as per UN resolution. let people's will prevail. else remove article 370 giving seperate constitution to j&k which doesnt allow any other indian to buy land there

Last edited by gentem; December 30th, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
gentem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #662
Bombay2Calcutta

Likes (Received): 9118

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i.../1/239901.html
Indian Railways makes history, runs train through Asia's second longest tunnel

Pir Panjal tunnel

Finally, history was made on Friday as the trial run of the country's longest railway tunnel, Pir Panjal tunnel, was conducted smoothly. The train covered the 11 km distance in 20 minutes. It took 30 minutes to cover the entire distance of 17.5 km from Qazigund to Banihal.

The trial had to be postponed on Thursday following protest by locals on railway tracks. They were demanding a railway station in the village.

The tunnel (11.215 km), which connects Bichleri Valley of Banihal with Qazigund area of Kashmir Valley, is the India's first longest transport tunnel and Asia's second longest tunnel. 6.5 km long Karbude tunnel of the Konkan railway was India's longest tunnel so far. While the longest tunnel in Asia is Wushaoling tunnel (20 km) in Gansu, China.

"The Pir Panjal railway tunnel is a vital link connecting Udhampur to Baramulla. Train passengers in the Kashmir Valley can soon travel up to Banihal with the completion of the Qazigund-Banihal section which also comprises Pir Panjal railway tunnel," said Sharanappa Yalal, project manager of Pir Panjal Tunnel project of Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) Ltd.

Opening of the tunnel will ease the transportation problem during winters when inclement weather forces closure of the Jawahar Tunnel and Srinagar-Jammu highway.

The tunnel will reduce distance between Banihal and Qazigund, which is also one of the most treacherous stretches in the entire Kashmir rail network project, from 35 km by road to 17.5 km on train.

"The tunnel is part of the ambitious Udhampur - Srinagar - Baramulla rail link project of the Northern Railways, whose route alignment presents one of the greatest challenges ever to be accomplished in Indian Civil Engineering history," Yalal said.
Bombay2Calcutta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #663
World8115

Weren't the tunnels and bridges built to accommodate doubling in future? It looks narrow in the pic

Hyderabad Metro Rail (HMR) Latest videos - Youtube | Flickr
World8115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #664
InfraNerd

Likes (Received): 278

I think they are going to double the line afterwards. Plenty of space seems to be there, as is evident in the following pictures.

[IMG]http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/158781943-pir-panjal-tunnel-ready-to-link-kashmir-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QS2UyhD86yObTtRGw1u5Ri1w6KFyFyb4hajwIPpOwVciNvI6Goy4%2bbadrj5rQJud3Q%3d%3d[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/158781941-pir-panjal-tunnel-ready-to-link-kashmir-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QaUlX1V9oq6BnDgTEf%2b6HhXRdxRFD3jVuxTGPVcP0q1XqIRsZoM6y0fONGHihJ6Hpw%3d%3d[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/158781944-pir-panjal-tunnel-ready-to-link-kashmir-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QaWyMi%2fjh0geyyC6X24Zerj1f%2bSAAqCKlc%2f2QPC5Unk3Pvs5XgMREzN2D8%2fRghJNIw%3d%3d[/IMG]

Link

Quote:
People welcoming a train as it emerges from Asia's Second largest longest tunnel during a trial run in Bahinal 100 kms from Srinagar
InfraNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #665
InfraNerd

Now I am confused. The remaining part could well be for running emergency sevices/vehicles only and may not be used for doubling. Can somebody confirm what it is for?
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #666
InfraNerd

The Hindu reports that
Quote:
the tunnel is 8.40 metres wide with a height of 7.39 metres. There is a provision of a three-metre-wide road along the length of the tunnel for the purpose of maintenance and emergency relief.
So well, it is for emergency/maintenance only.
Old December 29th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #667
aditya101

Likes (Received): 11

http://www.greaterkashmir.com/news/2...t-april-74.asp

Quote:
“Banihal-Qazigund railway tunnel which is the largest in India is complete and by April next the train will chug from Banihal to Baramulla,” Northern Railway Board Member, AP Mishra told media persons on the sidelines of the train trial run on Qazigund-Banihal stretch.
He said besides train on Udhampur-Katra stretch will also be able to ply by April 2013 as the work is nearing completion.
“The valley will be fully connected to the rest of the country by 2017 as the work on Udhampur-Banihal stretch is going on in full gear,” Mishra added.
The highlight of the Qazigund-Banihal link is the 11.21 km tunnel – the longest railway tunnel in India, which has reduced the distance between the two towns by 50 per cent.
The tunnel is 8.40 metres wide with a height of 7.39 metres.
aditya101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #668
Accipiter

Likes (Received): 0

Beautiful place. Reminds me of snow for some reason.

Finally, we can look China in the eye in the railways biggest dick competition next week.
Accipiter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #669
simpliCITY
here and there

Likes (Received): 1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionist View Post

Protests in kashmir are more civilized than rest of the country.
What a beautiful Village . I also demand a station here .
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #670
think_different

Likes (Received): 154

think_different no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #671
MachuPichu

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
Beautiful place. Reminds me of snow for some reason.

Finally, we can look China in the eye in the railways biggest dick competition next week.
No, you cannot. Has anyone seen the Nat Geo video of how the rail line to Lhasa, Tibet was built? I dont think India can pull off anything like that. The Chinese trains also have so much more in technology, station comfort, and just superior engineering skills in bridges, signaling systems etc. After watching that video, I believe Chinese engineering and execution is miles ahead of what India can throw at. The line to Lhasa is more than 3000 KMs long built in extremely harsh conditions using Chinese ingenuity and punctuality. In Kashmir, I believe we are talking about a fraction of that route KM being built in a moribund manner with massive delays and, from the pictures, not-enough investment.
MachuPichu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:09 AM   #672
carrera7

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachuPichu View Post
No, you cannot. Has anyone seen the Nat Geo video of how the rail line to Lhasa, Tibet was built? I dont think India can pull off anything like that. The Chinese trains also have so much more in technology, station comfort, and just superior engineering skills in bridges, signaling systems etc. After watching that video, I believe Chinese engineering and execution is miles ahead of what India can throw at. The line to Lhasa is more than 3000 KMs long built in extremely harsh conditions using Chinese ingenuity and punctuality. In Kashmir, I believe we are talking about a fraction of that route KM being built in a moribund manner with massive delays and, from the pictures, not-enough investment.
The Tibet Railway took 30 years to build and its around 2000 km. Most of it is on plateau, which is flat land after all

the Pir Panjal tunnel did overcome many challenges most notably the geology of the Pir Panjal range. The range is geologically young and not very stable, and the tunnelers encountered frequent changes in rock condition and flooding amoung other problems

The tunnel was started in about 2004 and its rate of construction has been good considering the environment. You could not build it faster without compromising safety or losing sight of the difficult geology
carrera7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:15 AM   #673
MachuPichu

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera7 View Post
The Tibet Railway took 30 years to build and its around 2000 km. Most of it is on plateau, which is flat land after all

the Pir Panjal tunnel did overcome many challenges mutiost notably the geology of the Pir Panjal range. The range is geologically young and not very stable, and the tunnelers encountered frequent changes in rock condition and flooding amoung other problems

The tunnel was started in about 2004 and its rate of construction has been good considering the environment. You could not build it faster without compromising safety or losing sight of the difficult geology
Did you watch the documentary? It is on You Tube. They couldnt build it in the 1950s...they abandoned it. Once they found the solution only around the turn of the century they did it without delay (within a decade) and amazing amount of ingenuity. It is the world's longest railway line built on PermaFrost. No other country including the US and Canada have been successful at it. Need to watch the documentary first. Whereas Kashmir type railway has been built repeatedly by several countries over much longer distances and is not that much of a challenge as you consider it.
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:31 AM   #674
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

@machupichu, this is a mammoth achievement in a developing democratic nation, and should not be undermined. As mentioned earlier, the geology of Himalayan ranges is tougher than older flatter ranges like the Alps or the Appalachians.

Congratulations, India!
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:52 AM   #675
MachuPichu

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
@machupichu, this is a mammoth achievement in a developing democratic nation, and should not be undermined. As mentioned earlier, the geology of Himalayan ranges is tougher than older flatter ranges like the Alps or the Appalachians.

Congratulations, India!
While I congratulate India for what little it is doing, the claim from its citizens is to do things on a much bigger scale at a pace that is much more rapid. India is doing too little at too easy a pace for a country its size and complexity (India needs to bring millions out of poverty). When I see such self congratulatory gestures with no knowledge of what other countries have actually done, I get the impression that Indians have a nature of hoodwinking other Indians through effusive claims that has several dangerous consequences: it ends up establishing a low bar to aim for, it exonerates inefficiency, it reinforces beliefs that Indians claim too much but produce very little, it reinforces beliefs that Indians cannot set benchmarks and aspire to achieve them...if I were you I would be actually questioning the pace at which the very little route KMs have been produced...over almost a decade and a half?. I argued so many years ago that the poor pace of executions means Indian tax payers would be burdened with 3X or 4X the cost, not to calculate the lost opportunity gains. And what this means is that projects would get scaled down as there is only a limited amount of money, leading to further loss in GDP growth, meaning so many poor who could have been provided jobs would now need to wait another 1o or 20 years. The callous dismissal by forumers here of Indian Government's execution lethargy through self congratulatory gloating is not becoming of citizens who wish to be known for their achievements and have a grand idea of rapidly hundreds of millions of people out of poverty. India's poor can use every voice they can get. I exhort everyone here to get on the Government's coat tails to force them to plan and execute projects on a much grander scale within time and budget, which produces massive labor opportunities and sets up foundation of wealth creation rapidly and within specified time.
Old December 31st, 2012, 10:21 AM   #676
Cygnus-X1

Likes (Received): 2792

Quote:
While I congratulate India for what little it is doing, the claim from its citizens is to do things on a much bigger scale at a pace that is much more rapid. India is doing too little at too easy a pace for a country its size and complexity (India needs to bring millions out of poverty). When I see such self congratulatory gestures with no knowledge of what other countries have actually done, I get the impression that Indians have a nature of hoodwinking other Indians through effusive claims that has several dangerous consequences: it ends up establishing a low bar to aim for, it exonerates inefficiency, it reinforces beliefs that Indians claim too much but produce very little, it reinforces beliefs that Indians cannot set benchmarks and aspire to achieve them...if I were you I would be actually questioning the pace at which the very little route KMs have been produced...over almost a decade and a half?. I argued so many years ago that the poor pace of executions means Indian tax payers would be burdened with 3X or 4X the cost, not to calculate the lost opportunity gains. And what this means is that projects would get scaled down as there is only a limited amount of money, leading to further loss in GDP growth, meaning so many poor who could have been provided jobs would now need to wait another 1o or 20 years. The callous dismissal by forumers here of Indian Government's execution lethargy through self congratulatory gloating is not becoming of citizens who wish to be known for their achievements and have a grand idea of rapidly hundreds of millions of people out of poverty. India's poor can use every voice they can get. I exhort everyone here to get on the Government's coat tails to force them to plan and execute projects on a much grander scale within time and budget, which produces massive labor opportunities and sets up foundation of wealth creation rapidly and within specified time.
Agree - India is moving too slow when compared to China or other east asian neighbours & infrastructure additions should be somewhat faster & better.
However, I have visited China several times as also most other east asian 'tigers' & noticed that a lot of the investment is really being over done.
Examples are of course shanghai's airport maglev train or KL's grandiose airport that still has several unused checkin counters, not to mention it's monorail (taken over by banks now) & metro (also accumulating losses).
We cannot accurately know about financials from chinese projects, but there are indications that they are losing money.

Perhaps India should develop the way europe, USA, japan or singapore have - far more business-oriented. The reason why we are lagging behind is mostly due to political uncertainties & opposition. Investments are fraught with risks in India since commitments made by one ruling party are never guaranteed when ruling party changes. So, we continue to move sluggishly, but I agree that most Indians never compare India with the rest of the world & tend to gloat over anything, however small or insignificant.
Cygnus-X1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:02 AM   #677
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraNerd View Post
Now I am confused. The remaining part could well be for running emergency sevices/vehicles only and may not be used for doubling. Can somebody confirm what it is for?
They can build another parallel tunnel for second track.

In metros also, generally there is a pair of tunnels - one tunnel for each direction.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:11 AM   #678
World8115

Dont think you can compare city metro tunnels with rail tunnels (which is over 11 kms) under mighty Pir Panjal. A larger tunnel should have been built, but I guess cost is a concern here as the expected budget has been already overshot

Hyderabad Metro Rail (HMR) Latest videos - Youtube | Flickr
World8115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:26 PM   #679
carrera7

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Whereas Kashmir type railway has been built repeatedly by several countries over much longer distances and is not that much of a challenge as you consider it.

The Himalayan lower ranges are difficult for large civil engineering works. The slopes are steep, the rock is loose and prone to landslide. The rock strata changes frequently. To give you an idea of the steepness, this tunnel runs 450 metres below an existing road tunnel (jawahar tunnel). The maximum overburden on the Tunnel is 1.1 km

The Western Ghats are quite different

However I certainly agree that India needs to step up the pace of civil engineering works - but thats a different issue

Right now we are considering the Tunnel in isolaton
carrera7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:45 PM   #680
_Mihir13

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. yaser View Post
Mihir first of all welcome in advance.
Banihal Srinagar DMU is as safe as Ahmedabad Vadodara MEMU in every aspect haha. Since we all are a family of rail fans so here are some handy suggestions to my family member .
During peak hours i.e morning and evening hours congestion and overcrowding like Mumbai is a rule so better is to select afternoon time when this DMU sometimes is only half occupied.

Board at Srinagar or budgam yard (where it is maintained seat is guaranteed here) enjoy ur ride to banihal.
At banihal it will halt for 15 mins ( here your wife can remain seated in the train and you can purchase tickets at banihal station back to Srinagar) or you can take some time off the train and enjoy serene banihal and have a look at underconstrution railway tunnels for sometime and board next DMU getting a seat at banihal won't be problem as it's end station, problem is at qazigund, anantnag and srinagar.
I will provide you the timetable of this DMU once northern railways chart it out. Cheers mate!!!
Dr Yaser, Thank you very much. One more thing nobody is talking about is - freight.

I think along with passenger trains they must also start goods trains from Banihal. They can have large goods depot near the Banihal station where the trucks and fuel tankers can unload their goods on to freight trains which will then transport it deeper into the valley. That way - the existing line will be adequately utilized till the time the katra-banihal section is completed. It will also reduce the burden on the National Highway. Environmentally also - it'll help in greatly reducing pollution.
_Mihir13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote