daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Business, Economy and Services

Old June 17th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2111

Vodacom 150Mbps LTE trial network live

Very exciting stuff!

-----

Vodacom 150 Mbps trial LTE network live

Vodacom has switched on its Long Term Evolution (LTE) trial network in Midrand, with live testing showing promising results

Vodacom has today demonstrated its live LTE network at a media event in Midrand, one of the first live LTE networks in the world and the first in Africa.

Unlike many test networks the Vodacom LTE network - which uses Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) gear - is fully integrated with its current 3G/HSDPA network and uses the same spectrum.

The Vodacom trial LTE network has a theoretical downlink speed of 150 Mbps and a theoretical uplink speed of 100 Mbps, but Vodacom CTO Andries Delport pointed out that the actual speed which people experience on their wireless networks will be reliant on factors like the distance from the base station.

The demo LTE dongle, provided by Samsung, proved to be a further bottleneck, only providing maximum downlink speeds of 100 Mbps and a maximum uplink speed of 50 Mbps.

In live testing peak downlink speeds of over 70 Mbps were achieved, while uplink speeds of around 30 Mbps were seen.

Standard international Speedtest.net web based speed tests provided downlink speeds of just over 10 Mbps while uplink speeds came close to 10 Mbps.

Good news for gamers and other Internet users looking for low latency, is that ping times of around 14 ms were achieved. This is significantly lower than what current HSPA and HSPA+ networks offer.

Full HD Youtube videos streamed without any buffering, even with simultaneous use with speedtests and other downloads.

While Vodacom demonstrated that they are close to ready to launch LTE, it is understood that spectrum is a big restraining factor in rolling out a full LTE network.

Source: MyBroadband

Sponsored Links

Old June 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #2
JoHaN 15
Lebensraum

Likes (Received): 1605

How much will it cost?
When will it be commercial?
Do you like Haiku's?
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Lydon

Lol, I know as much as you know if you've read the article
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4
JoHaN 15
Lebensraum

I read half way then my eyes furiously searched for a date and price but to no avail
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Lydon

Well in the last paragraph it does say they're close to ready to launch, so probably within the next 3 months or so?
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #6
greenandgold
Zebras in My Stadium

Likes (Received): 81

Im speechless with the speeds, I never though wireless could deliver such speeds, thats a wow.

However I won't celebrate as I know Vodacom doesn't know the word affordable, they will rip us of to kingdom come.
When ADSL dropped prices we (Vodacom users) were stuck with the same prices and they added a few megs to shut us up. I still pay hundreds for a Gig of bandwidth with just 200 mags added, f*ck I still complain. The most irritating thing with Vodacom is frequent disconnect, I recent played Hawks (flight simulator) online I was disconnect every round I played as well as all the online games I play(ed). With Vodacom the service is terrible and prices are so high I will buy myself a car with the money I give to Vodacom.
greenandgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Lydon

Why don't you get uncapped from MWeb?

Anyway, Vodacom don't usually charge according to speed, but instead data, so we could very well see them upgrading everyone to LTE for free providing they have the required hardware. What they do with their data prices, however, is another story.
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:59 AM   #8
greenandgold
Zebras in My Stadium

Likes (Received): 81

ΛΛ sadly the thugs helped themselves with our cables just 2 years back and telkom never replaced them, so those who use telkom use the wireless version of the service which works vias satellite and I have no idea if does support ADSL.
greenandgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Lydon

Eish.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Lydon

Vodacom breaks 100 Mbps download speed
Staff Writer MyBroadband | 22 September, 2010

Vodacomís trial LTE network shows speeds of over 125 Mbps in the downlink and 30 Mbps in the uplink

Vodacom recently showed off their LTE network at a media event in Midrand, achieving speeds of around 70 Mbps. This is the first LTE network in the country, utilizing Vodacomís existing 2.1 GHz spectrum.

The company today demonstrated this network again, but with far better results than previously.

In live tests the Vodacom LTE network easily exceeded download speeds of 100 Mbps and upload speeds of 30 Mbps. Maximum speeds of around 125 Mbps in the downlink were achieved.

This is the first time that the 100 Mbps mobile broadband speed limit has been broken in South Africa.

What was particularly impressive is the latency of the LTE network, which typically ranged between 8 ms and 10 ms. This makes LTE particularly suitable for latency sensitive applications such as gaming.

This demonstration used a trial 150 Mbps Huawei modem. The modem is currently still a large desktop modem, but it is expected to shrink to USB modem size in the coming months.

At the same demonstration Vodacom also illustrated their 42 HSPA+ network with equally impressive speeds.

Downlink speeds ranged between 35 Mbps and 39 Mbps with uplink speeds between 1 Mbps and 4 Mbps.

Vodacom said that their network is ready to launch 42 Mbps HSPA+, but the lack of modems, vendor software and transmission capacity is delaying a commercial launch.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 35

jeez... I need this speeds.

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Lydon

Vodacom launches LTE in South Africa
Rudolph Muller
October 10, 2012

Vodacom has surprised delegates at the 2012 MyBroadband Conference when it launched its commercial LTE service today

Vodacom became the first operator in South Africa to launch a commercial LTE service, having switched on its LTE network on 10 October 2012.

Vodacom CEO Shameel Joosub announced at the MyBroadband Conference 2012 that Vodacom’s LTE service had been officially switched on and was open for business.

Vodacom’s LTE service is initially available in Johannesburg, with other cities to follow in the near future.

“Vodacom was the first network in SA to test LTE more than two years ago, and since then we’ve been busy upgrading base stations and our fibre-optic transmission network in preparation for today,” said Joosub.

“It’s great to claim another South African first for Vodacom with the launch of LTE services to the public, and it’s even more pleasing that we’ve done this ahead of many other advanced economies around the world.”

LTE represents a major jump in mobile connectivity capabilities. The service has the potential to operate at more than double the speed of any existing mobile connection available commercially in South Africa.

“Higher speed and lower latency translate into a more stable user experience with stutter-free video and almost instantaneous music and picture downloads,” Vodacom said.

Contract customers with LTE capable devices can activate the service from today by calling 111 or visiting any Vodacom shop.

LTE capable devices will be on sale in selected Vodacom outlets before the end of October, with priority going to existing Vodacom customers.

“LTE devices are in short supply world-wide, but thanks to Vodafone’s global purchasing power we’re confident that Vodacom will have the best possible selection in stores in the very near future,” said Joosub.

Commenting on Vodacom’s intention to be the first choice for anyone looking to connect via this new technology, Joosub said their LTE service will initially be accessible via more than 50 base stations in Johannesburg. A coverage map is available on the Vodacom website.

“Further announcements will be made with respect to the network roll-out plans in due course,” said Vodacom.

“Switching on commercial LTE services is just one step in a much bigger network transformation. With over 9,000 base stations, Vodacom already has by far the most extensive network in South Africa and on average delivers faster connection speeds,” said Joosub

“Our challenge isn’t keeping ahead of the other operators – it’s keeping ahead of the tidal wave of data demand. Ninety percent of our 3G base stations are 21.6Mbps enabled, and almost 80% are 43.2Mbps enabled.”

Joosub added that by the end of the year they aim to have 500 sites enabled for LTE with a theoretical speed capability of over 100 Mbps.

Old October 10th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #13
ToxicBunny
BOFH Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 50

Not bad at all, but their pricing is still ridiculous.
ToxicBunny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #14
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 192

Yet I've had a absolutely unusable connection in Stellenbosch for the last week . My cousin who works for vodacom moved his father to adsl because his 3G was unusable in Bellville.

Switching to MTN next year when my contract ends....
Twitter : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #15
Lydon

That's going from bad to worse
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #16
JohanSA

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
MTN was bad a couple of years ago (2-3) but nobody i know has had the same problems we have in Stellenbosch with vodacom . Me and Jacques have to some days exclusively communicate by sms because my vodacom is so slow ......
Twitter : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #17
Lydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post
MTN was bad a couple of years ago (2-3) but nobody i know has had the same problems we have in Stellenbosch with vodacom . Me and Jacques have to some days exclusively communicate by sms because my vodacom is so slow ......
Have you tried Cell C? Vodacom is such a ripoff I can't wait to cancel my contract with them lol.
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #18
JoHaN 15
Lebensraum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
+1

I'm with MTN and wanted to move for a long time now.
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #19
Nostra

Likes (Received): 700

My MTN download speed in the nothern burbs of JHB (circa Randburg) is consistently 1.5 mb/s, whereas my Vodacom speed is quite unstable. I would go with MTN...
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Inertia
Bloody Agent

Likes (Received): 60

Prices are the same atm. In other words you're getting a free speed upgrade (once you've bought the new equipment). Quite a farce if there are no data cost reductions
Inertia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, south africa