daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Old April 20th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #1
travellator
klite

Likes (Received): 60

Penang Urban Transit, RapidPenang

News, views and discussions

RapidPenang To Start Aug 1

April 20, 2007 09:16 AM

PENANG, April 19 (Bernama) -- The RapidPenang bus service will begin operations on Aug 1 and eight routes have been identified for the service.

Rapid KL Chief Operations Officer Mohd Ali Mohd Nor said today, five routes were on the island and they were from Teluk Bahang, Air Itam, Balik Pulau and Bayan Baru to Pengkalan Weld in George Town as well as Teluk Bahang to Balik Pulau.

"The three routes on the mainland or Seberang Perai are from Kepala Batas, Bukit Mertajam and Nibong Tebal to the bus and ferry terminal in Butterworth," he told a news conference here.

RapidPenang is a subsidiary of Syarikat Rangkaian Pengangkutan Integrasi Deras Sdn Bhd (Rapid KL).

Mohd Ali said the eight routes had been identified as the primary routes to facilitate the people getting the best access to the bus service.

"For the mainland, we will use the Mega Mall in Prai as the hub where all buses will pass through, and passengers from there can proceed to other places including the island," he said. He said the eight corridors would be divided into additional routes to meet the needs of the people in the interior areas, especially Balik Pulau and Bayan Baru.
travellator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 11th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #2
wmkp
" Let Penang Lead "

Likes (Received): 0

Saw a Rapid Penang bus in front of Krystal Point, I guess that's the first bus for trial run...same bus as RapidKl but the logo is diffrent
wmkp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #3
johnsonooi

Likes (Received): 142

any pic?
johnsonooi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #4
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkp View Post
Saw a Rapid Penang bus in front of Krystal Point, I guess that's the first bus for trial run...same bus as RapidKl but the logo is diffrent
Is the color scheme same as RapidKL ?
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #5
cooltemper
BANNED

Bus link to Seberang Prai

By BERNARD SEE

PENANG: A bus service linking the island to Seberang Prai will be revived when RapidPenang starts operating on Aug 1.

The company is also introducing several new routes, including to Vale of Tempe, Teluk Tempoyak and Pulau Betong in Balik Pulau, said RapidKL chief operating officer Mohd Ali Mohd Nor.

“We have conducted studies on commuters’ travelling habits in Penang so as to fine tune our services,” he told a press briefing yesterday.

RapidPenang is a subsidiary of RapidKL which is fully owned by the Ministry of Finance. It will ply five main corridors on the island – Balik Pulau to Weld Quay, Bayan Lepas to Weld Quay, Air Itam to Weld Quay, Teluk Bahang to Weld Quay and Teluk Bahang to Balik Pulau.

A total of 135 buses will ply from 6am to 11pm daily, at intervals of 20 to 30 minutes. Fifteen other buses will be on standby in case of breakdowns.

Mohd Ali said the company was given the task to overhaul the state's public transport by the Government in January and had spent RM30mil on the new buses.

“We have started to recruit drivers who will undergo a defensive driving and courtesy course before starting work,” he added.

Mohd Ali said that the fares had yet to be confirmed, adding that RapidPenang was here to provide a service and not to merely make profits.

State Traffic Management Committee chairman Datuk Dr Teng Hock Nan said 111 air-conditioned buses would ply the island with the remaining buses servicing the mainland.

“Many outlying villages, especially those in the districts of Balik Pulau, Bukit Mertajam and Butterworth will also by served by the company’s fleet of brand new buses,” he added.

Dr Teng said the main bus terminal would be located in Weld Quay with sub-terminals in Tanjung Bunga, Air Itam, Teluk Bahang, Balik Pulau and Bayan Baru.

“Parking bays along certain roadsides will be reduced and parking charges increased to encourage office workers to use public tran-sport.

“Park and ride sites have also been identified but this would only be integrated into the bus system when the monorail system is up.”

On the fate of the present bus operators, Dr Teng said they would still be allowed to ope-rate alongside RapidPenang but their buses would have to be Puspakom-certified.
cooltemper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #6
wmkp
" Let Penang Lead "

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestcat View Post
Is the color scheme same as RapidKL ?
Same bus and same colour as RapidKL...the only diffrnce is the logo, Insead of KL..the word Penang is written under the word Rapid. No pics but later I saw the bus being towed away by a towing lorry,by then they have covered over the title rapidpenang on the bus...Earlier saw some people in the bus.
wmkp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #7
Skyprince
Asian boi

RM1 for the first 7 kms ?? I hope they apply the same ticketing price like RapidKL. I like it !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #8
forrestcat

Always tot they'll use white,yellow and blue like the colos of Penang flag.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #9
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 4

am going up to penang this weekend

I am going to Penang this weekend for the May 19 forum on accessible transit...I hope to see some test buses while I am up there....

anyone here know where Kompleks Masyarakat Penyayang, located on Jalan Utama, would be?

Assume that I start from Komtar.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #10
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
I am going to Penang this weekend for the May 19 forum on accessible transit...I hope to see some test buses while I am up there....

anyone here know where Kompleks Masyarakat Penyayang, located on Jalan Utama, would be?

Assume that I start from Komtar.

Cheers, m
Kompleks Masyarakat Penyayang is beside the Governor's house, which is near the General Hospital.

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #11
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW View Post
Kompleks Masyarakat Penyayang is beside the Governor's house, which is near the General Hospital.
that will get me started...thanks...

If anyone is interested in attending and/or showing support...the cost is RM20 for the fees, can pay at the door.

Cheers, m
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM   #12
cooltemper
BANNED

Rapid Penang and Its Driver

Old May 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM   #13
TYW

what's his right hand doing??

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM   #14
cooltemper
BANNED

Gatal kut?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:15 AM   #15
allurban
All Urban

whoa, that's something I dont want to see on the Visit Malaysia 2007 posters....

Ok, for those that are interested in RapidPenang....see next post...-
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:20 AM   #16
allurban
All Urban

More info about Rapid Penang

Ok, here is some info as "allowed" by the MPPP representative at the forum I attended on the weekend.

Dates
Phase 1 - 1 August 2007 (or before?)
Phase 2 - Dec 2007

Buses
Phase 1 is 150 buses, of which:

112 island
38 mainland

Phase 2 is 100 buses for mainland and island

3 types of buses...

7.8 meter minibuses (high floor)
10 meter bus (1 step, mixed floor)
12 meter bus (1 step, mixed floor)

No flat floor or Very Low Floor buses have been ordered for the 1st 150 buses. These will arrive in Dec 07. They will be wheelchair accessible

Corridors
RapidPenang will operate buses on 8 corridors, of which there will be 5 on the island and 3 on the mainland.

Additional
East-West Monorail Line
North-South Monorail Line
Hybrid (diesel-electric) inner city tram (currently not approved).

Cheers, m
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM   #17
Arkdriver
sa isip, sa salita

Location: penang, cyberjaya, muntinlupa,singapore, sunshine coast
Likes (Received): 123

i wonder why they didnt approve the trams for inner city mass rapid transport.

for me it's more appropriate for Georgetown to have city trams instead of monorail because monorail construction might jeopardize pre-war houses structure. The cost of construction is also considerably less and it's more efficient without the need to build platform and stations. It adds to aesthetic feeling of all georgetown, which used to have efficient public transport system in the 1970's.

Monorail can be build outside protected pre war houses zone for example in gat lebuh nordin. for inner city especially around chulia street, citibank, esplanade, jalan masjid kapitan keling up to Penang road, trams are more economical due to space constraint in these area.

any opinions?
Arkdriver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM   #18
forrestcat

Cannot have tramla,incompatible with driving habits of Malaysians.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:56 AM   #19
TYW

i don't know why there are so many people in the forum saying that trams are more appropriate for Penang than monorails.

look at the narrow streets of George Town and the volume of vehicles in them. try to put a tram in that picture and what do you get?? a complete gridlock! most of the streets in George Town are not more than 1 lane on each direction, if the tram takes another 1 lane and maybe some crazy drivers take up the tram's lane, the whole city will come to a stand still!

i do love to have the trams back in the city just like the olden days but times have changed. trams are no longer suitable for the city at this time. unless the streets are closed for pedestrians only. but by doing so, other problems will arise - the weather, logistics. who wants to walk in the hot sun or rain?? and how are the traders going to transport their goods? to counter those problems are possible, no doubt, but that means more money. build covered roofs for the entire city? (cool ey??) and build the logistics facilities for the traders, etc.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #20
allurban
All Urban

well, in the past the tram was used to transport people and goods.....

today, a tram could be designed the same way...as a small "people mover" during the day and with trailers to move products and goods at night....

I think that if the tram were built it would be far more for historical and tourist purposes than any effective transportation feature...

so you would be likely to see a one-way loop, in the old city only.

Probably it would start from the ferry terminal and run as far as west as Penang Rd....but not as far south as Komtar...

As I said, it is still being examined....Penang is moving towards more pedestrian areas, who knows what will happen.

As for the monorail...inside the city the early plan is to take over some empty shophouses and renovate them for station access....

Cheers, m