search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > The Bothy

The Bothy Scottish Skybar

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 478 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #15101
boabthomas

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due East View Post
It's the fact that she went attention-seeking while all of these issues loom is my problem. It's a total cringe fest. I'd don't want to see MPs wearing their Arsenal top because they are in the final, or their England Rugby top or whatever other issue they are trying to promote. Its pathetic. Take it outside.
Like I said. Says more about you than anything else.

What do I find cringeworthy? MPs filibustering anti-domestic violence bills - you know, that king of thing. I could say MPs thinking Jane Austen is still alive is cringeworthy, but I don't hate for that, just chuckle.

Hannah Bardell last week managed to save one of her constituents from being deported to Nigeria, where her 3 year old daughter would've likely been subjected to genital mutilation. That's without considering losing her job as a financial analyst and her life in Scotland.

You know what I couldn't care about less? What my MP wears in the House of Commons. Priorities.

anonymous_redrum, Ahhhh liked this post
boabthomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #15102
dadabouttown

Likes (Received): 428

In reality, I suspect the faithful get off on the Westminster mischief and 'get that up ye England...' with the footie shirt. Which is what it is at least partly about. Pretending it's nothing is pretending she thought it was nothing - when in reality she knew perfectly well it would make headlines and chose her actions quite deliberately. Indeed she'd have consulted with her whip/SNP commons leader about the order of Qs etc and what she was going to say.

As for all this faux righteousness and contrived outrage in her defence....that kind of tactic has been so overplayed it has lost any cred. Less and less people really believe nats banging on about injustice any more - they just see it as tactical or opportunistic moves as part of the big strategy.

Last edited by dadabouttown; July 20th, 2017 at 06:07 PM.
dadabouttown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #15103
Quirinalian

Likes (Received): 208

I don't like people pissing about wearing football tops in the Commons either - but in the grand scheme of things to give a **** about, it's pretty much bottom of my list.
Quirinalian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #15104
milton
Use your words

Likes (Received): 1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due East View Post
It's the fact that she went attention-seeking while all of these issues loom is my problem. It's a total cringe fest. I'd don't want to see MPs wearing their Arsenal top because they are in the final, or their England Rugby top or whatever other issue they are trying to promote. Its pathetic. Take it outside.
None of your example carry remotely the same weight as the (very current) point about the growth in focus on womens' role in football (and indeed other sports), and how that relates to our society in general.

You can still dislike what she did, but don't try and set up a false equivalence.
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #15105
boabthomas

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirinalian View Post
I don't like people pissing about wearing football tops in the Commons either - but in the grand scheme of things to give a **** about, it's pretty much bottom of my list.
Indeed.

I raise an eyebrow every time I see Neil Findlay on TV, with his collar folded up at the back, his top shirt button in the third hole down or his shirt hanging out the back.

But do I hate him for being unable to dress himself? No.

I have a whole list of reasons for disliking Neil Findlay, and if he decided to walk into parliament wearing nothing but a red flag or a union jack suit, neither of these things would even scratch the surface.
boabthomas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #15106
dadabouttown

Quote:
Originally Posted by boabthomas View Post
Indeed.

I raise an eyebrow every time I see Neil Findlay on TV, with his collar folded up at the back, his top shirt button in the third hole down or his shirt hanging out the back.

But do I hate him for being unable to dress himself? No.

I have a whole list of reasons for disliking Neil Findlay, and if he decided to walk into parliament wearing nothing but a red flag or a union jack suit, neither of these things would even scratch the surface.
Thanks for clarifying (albeit slightly cryptically) the serious nature of your dislike of Neil Findlay....
Old July 21st, 2017, 02:02 AM   #15107
anonymous_redrum

Likes (Received): 352

Quote:
Wings Over Scotland‏
@WingsScotland

So... Scotland now officially has the highest growth, the lowest unemployment and the best NHS in the UK, right?
No wonder Due East can only find an MP wearing a football shirt, to complain about.
anonymous_redrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 02:58 PM   #15108
dadabouttown

Is that not a very narrowly simplified picture though?

We've had one quarter of growth which the FofA Institute analysis shows contains some upturn in oil related activity and some likely one off boosts such as the Return of Dalzell Steel plant to the figures and follows many many quarters of below UK growth. Other stats and business feedback paints a mixed picture so commentators and analysts are rightly being quite cautious about drawing early conclusions. If strong growth becomes a trend then it'll be good news for all of us.

Lower unemployment which examination of the underlying stats shows is largely through people dropping out of or not entering the job market - not through lots of new jobs being created that unemployed people are taking up. A trend for a while. UK meanwhile is growing total employment which means they are at least creating new jobs.

As for best NHS, we do some things better for sure but we have also long spent more than UK, Wales or N Ireland per capita. I think judgement should be about whether we're doing a good job against a lot of criteria incl spending - where any digging will show plenty of health professionals and bodies making some very big criticisms including a theme that there's a lack of strategic planning for the next few years and a greater risk of cuts than rUK. So it isn't just a Q whether we're not as bad as England or Wales. N Ireland is a fairer comparison being closer in spending and demographics and also of a size that in theory should help organisational initiatives work through the system. England's NHS is so massive and unweildy that a lot of initiatives have struggled in that respect. The size thing is something the ongoing Nuffield Trust reports on UK systems highlights as working in Scotlands favour.

The world is complex and nuanced.
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:26 PM   #15109
Quirinalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_redrum View Post
No wonder Due East can only find an MP wearing a football shirt, to complain about.
Ah, Wings Over Scotland. The conspiracy theorist's best friend.

At least two of these points we've already been over. Scotland has a lower than average unemployment rate, but also lower than average employment rate: essentially what it is telling us is that more people are not participating in the labour market at all.

GDP grow was higher in the last quarter. Over the last year, it was substantially lower. There's hardly a great record to boast about there, and still a considerable problem with economic growth.

But if you're seriously suggesting all is rosy in the governance of Scotland, perhaps you might wish to consider we have schools that have fallen very much behind our neighbours in England, the worst record on university access in the UK, an NHS consistently failing to meet its own targets, a police force that is organisationally more or less a running source of newspaper fodder, 150,000 fewer college places, a First Minister who refuses to answer questions about farm subsidies and housebuilding down by 40 per cent.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:10 PM   #15110
anonymous_redrum

Likes (Received): 352

Ah look, the unionists scrambling to find the negatives from the positives about Scotland. Nothing changes.
anonymous_redrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #15111
Quirinalian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_redrum View Post
Ah look, the unionists scrambling to find the negatives from the positives about Scotland. Nothing changes.
Well, one isn't a positive, and the other is pretty weak in positivity terms. I appreciate you don't really care about politics except insofar as it contributes to your own arbitrary sense of identity, but some of us do and actually take a bit of an interest in the economy, jobs and such.

Manufacturing rosy fictions doesn't make us feel any better, only your particular identity issues are sated (I won't say "helped", if anything it just pushes you further down the metaphorical rabbit hole) by delusions.

Tags
obsessednationalists

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: